As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] In which we discuss dice crime

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    As fun as that is, if the Leagues have those, they already won. Building megastructures on the scale of swallowing earth-like planets whole is pre-sleep Necron level tech.

I think those are asteroids, not planets. So not nearly as impressive.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    As fun as that is, if the Leagues have those, they already won. Building megastructures on the scale of swallowing earth-like planets whole is pre-sleep Necron level tech.

They’re spherical. That gives them a minimum size of somewhere a bit smaller than Pluto, because physics. And the one being eaten is much bigger than the little one off to the side, and the aperture is very much bigger than that.

unless they were reshaped into balls deliberately before consumption, but why bother in that case?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

They’re spherical. That gives them a minimum size of somewhere a bit smaller than Pluto, because physics. And the one being eaten is much bigger than the little one off to the side, and the aperture is very much bigger than that.

unless they were reshaped into balls deliberately before consumption, but why bother in that case?

If there's one thing 40k is known for, it's being sticklers for real-world physics.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    On the other hand, 40k is also known for being enormously over the top.

My first though seeing that art was ‘so they can eat planets with megastructures’ as well.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    They might have those but because nobody cleared the nav computer's cache in 20k years it can only be driven on sight at a quarter impulse or something like that probably.

Dark age of technology stuff in 40k generally feels like almost Culture level capabilities but with Windows 95 usability.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Yeah. Old drm propably means it can only destroy planets of the right colour.

And only if there is sufficient blue ink in the integrated printer.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    They're asteroids and that's asteroid mining because these are space dwarves and dwarves do mining.

Also it wouldn't be that impressive, that's Imperium level technology. In 40k the Martian moon of Deimos orbits Saturn because the Grey Knights, whose chapter world is Saturn's moon Titan, wanted a forge world.

So they took a great machine and jumped Deimos through the warp into the orbit of Saturn.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. To GW artists asteroids are round.

I just read someones theory on reddit that it's actually the squats FTL travel. The barrier tech that is mentioned.
    So travel in sorta the same way eve online does it.
    Part of me likes the idea of creating tunnels through the warp to keep demons out, but I think they would have descriped it another way then a barrier.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Barrier sounds like a reference to the old Squat tech of Warp reactors that weren’t so much reactors as direct taps into warpspace shielded by a “zero energy field” whatever that means.

• Options
    Barrier sounds like a reference to the old Squat tech of Warp reactors that weren’t so much reactors as direct taps into warpspace shielded by a “zero energy field” whatever that means.

Zero point energy? Harnessing the ground state of energy that even exists in a vacuum. Or something like that. Physics isn't my strong suite. I think Stargate Atlantis had that, too

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. To GW artists asteroids are round.

I just read someones theory on reddit that it's actually the squats FTL travel. The barrier tech that is mentioned.
    So travel in sorta the same way eve online does it.
    Part of me likes the idea of creating tunnels through the warp to keep demons out, but I think they would have descriped it another way then a barrier.

A webway you might say?

I so far have 0 interest in the new Squats. Especially with all the cool chaos stuff coming.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I bet it's a giant tunnel boring machine but for the warp. Because they're miners, you know?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I bet it's a giant tunnel boring machine but for the warp. Because they're miners, you know?

That'd actually be sort of interesting, if they have a big ship that creates a temporary realspace tunnel through the warp for ships to follow along. Gives them a weakness in that their FTL is dependent on that ship, but also a big advantage since normally moving fleets through the warp can be a hell of a mess. Sure, most of them will get to where they want to be, eventually, but guaranteeing that everyone shows up at the same time is pretty huge.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Wait a second...

Wasn't the Tuchulcha-Plagueheart-Ouroboros engine trinity used for boring holes in the Warp, making the Webway? I read that somewhere, probably on 1d4chan, though...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because I did buy some of the last chance minis {the beastmaster and some others} I also got some paint and got the necromunda map
    Oddly the map came not how I would expect it to
    uloubthgpz6i.png
    All folded up

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    2lx4uh09llug.jpeg

Imagine if GW didn’t remove Crusher Stampede…

Not that I have even seen the Tyranids book, it’s still MIA here.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Ok, but how many entrants were Tyranids in proportion to total? Maybe it's just that many people wanted to try the new codex.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Ok, but how many entrants were Tyranids in proportion to total? Maybe it's just that many people wanted to try the new codex.

The Tyranid Codex is really fucking busted. It's also very deep, so it took a few weeks for people to figure out lists properly, but there isn't any army in the game outside of maybe Craftworlds that can handle 30 mortal wounds a turn backed up by extremely strong movement, shooting and melee phases.

• Options
    edited May 2022

It’s clown meta but worse, considering the data slate that came out recently. They’re in the 65%+ win rate in non-mirror matches. 40K I’ve noticed much more than AoS follows what’s broken and everyone saw this coming a mile away.

Edit: it appears to be 72% non mirror win rate. They are the fourth or fifth army in 40K to do this now?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

It’s clown meta but worse, considering the data slate that came out recently. They’re in the 65%+ win rate in non-mirror matches. 40K I’ve noticed much more than AoS follows what’s broken and everyone saw this coming a mile away.

Edit: it appears to be 72% non mirror win rate. They are the fourth or fifth army in 40K to do this now?

Yeah, the Codex balance in this edition has been an absolute shitshow. It's fucking dull that you can go to an event and consistently figure out where people are going to place almost solely on what army they're bringing.

• Options
    It has felt like there have been two codex teams. One team makes rather deep fun balanced codexes. With maybe something just a bit strong but not insane. These folks made GSC, T-Sons, GK, and the new knight codexes. Then there is a second team that writes stuff that has one crazy broken build and nothing else. This is more like Orks and Ad Mech. Both of which had been nerfed and now are terrible as they had 1 trick. Then there is the team that has written DE, Tau, and Nids. I think Custodes were the first team but then the second team redid their points a week later and were like, "Have fun!"

Also what is real frustrating with it is most of the codexes are really well balanced right now. Pull out Nids and most are 45-55% which is where stuff should be. Most games are close. Most codexes into each other even the old broken stuff like Tau and DE now are pretty balanced.

Its frustrating. But at the same time not stopping me from playing a lot and playing competitive. I have at least two tourneys in the next two months. With NOVA at the end of August and I am hoping at least one more RTT in there.

I played a lot of 9th. But in the last year since I was vaccinated I have played 40-50 games at least of 40k mostly as Deathwatch.

Its still a pretty game with one Matt Ward level codex writing team. But at least shit is fixed in months not years.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I'd be interested to see how this Nid codex would do vs Dark Eldar, Admech, Orc et al. before their nerfs.

The long extended codex release schedule hasn't helped this edition, which I think generally has been pretty good (I'm not playing competitive games in all fairness), although there certainly is room for improvement to make the game a bit friendlier to play. I think the codexes have been pretty good thematically (i.e. how the army actually plays) as the edition has gone on.

What seems to happen, is that there's 1-2 units that are severely undercosted and when it gets spammed, it becomes an issue.

Not this Nid codex though; I think it'll be similar to the Dark Eldar codex in that one thing will get nerfed, and it'll give rise to another horror, and it'll take a few passes until things become reasonable.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    I will say them shifting points to a free release online could probably help squash the Nid menace fast because it won't need a 3-6 month lead time.

An FAQ for a few things plus probably a 20% point increase across the board and Nids are looking more inline with others.

Also someone finally listened, the data slate and all the rules are on the app now. Come on GW, you are so close to getting this. Digital rule sets will help so much.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
  • Options
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/12/heresy-thursday-the-plastic-sicaran-speeds-into-action/

Plastic Sicaran. Warhammer app supposedly already has 40k rules for SM and CSM

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    A pencil is used for the hazard stripes

That's how I've always done stripes (or chequered bits).

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    2lx4uh09llug.jpeg

Imagine if GW didn’t remove Crusher Stampede…

Not that I have even seen the Tyranids book, it’s still MIA here.

Ah, I see a genestealer cult has infested GW's Competitive Play team and prepared planet Tournamentus Scena for a Hive Fleet invasion...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    If we could balance all other books around one specific codex, what would it be?

Custodes with the point changes?

Like I'm of the opinion that T Sons came out pretty damned well, it's just that codex creep fucked everything up. I'd even argue that DG and Necrons were great, but then Drukhari came along and shat on everything.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I don't think 40k has had any real time to figure out a proper meta beyond lurching from obscenely broken book to broken book. We're going to have to see how the game develops once we can actually let it settle into something that isn't entirely busted for more than a second. Like even if you fix Tyranids, I suspect you're still going to see Clowns/Craftworld right up the top anyway. Then there will be the new CSM book, then Chaos Daemons and presumably we're one day giving Imperial Guard a book. Maybe.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    If we could balance all other books around one specific codex, what would it be?

Like I'm of the opinion that T Sons came out pretty damned well, it's just that codex creep fucked everything up. I'd even argue that DG and Necrons were great, but then Drukhari came along and shat on everything.

I put the blame on the pandemic
    As they could only play certain games limited by time and so many other factors
    The space marine-necron {even with the core update} Tsons and DG codex were all balanced as you can tell when the pandemic hit

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

I kind of think that Space Marines should be the book that the rest of the game is balanced around. Like, they're literally the default faction and their historical identity has been "does everything kind of well, not outrageously so"; keeping them as a starting point and buffing or nerfing relative to them feels like a reasonable approach.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    New Tyranid Codex FAQ dropped today
    Prepare the salt mines for incoming tears.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/MlX8DsXkD19YhnUE.pdf

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    New Tyranid Codex FAQ dropped today
    Prepare the salt mines for incoming tears.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/MlX8DsXkD19YhnUE.pdf

Its not crazy but it does making the unhittable tyrant a lot harder to use. And no longer lets folks pick up multiple models with encircle the prey at the end of the turn. Which is good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Unhittable tyrant?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm trying to decide on a name for my Chaos Knight House. I'm thinking something like Nocifer or Nocifron. Maybe Noxifron.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Unhittable tyrant?

Tyrant charges you, kills a bunch of stuff, consolidates away and go woosh into the sky.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Unhittable tyrant?

You used to be able to use encircle the prey to pick up the tyrant and deepstrike it rather than consolidating. So it could move up, cast powers for mortals, shoot, charge (and do more mortals with a strat) attack and then deepstrike across the board before you could hit it back.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Unhittable tyrant?

You used to be able to use encircle the prey to pick up the tyrant and deepstrike it rather than consolidating. So it could move up, cast powers for mortals, shoot, charge (and do more mortals with a strat) attack and then deepstrike across the board before you could hit it back.

Ok, yeah that’s silly. I didn’t even read that possibility in the unmodified strat.