As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    Not Slay the Spire per se, but I started playing Tainted Grail on game pass and it’s a pretty good StS-like (is that a genre now?).

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tainted-grail-conquest

82 on metacritic so definitely not terrible.

I’ve just been moving through the early levels unlocking new classes. Finally got to bloodmage and although I was a little iffy on spending my own hp to summon things (especially after playing summoner and getting rolled early, doing the same thing but having to spend health on top sounded like a bad idea). However, bloodmage automatically triggers and promotes your summons every turn, as opposed to summoner where those are each separate cards, so it’s actually super powerful. Then early on I grabbed a perk that causes offered hp to heal instead of hurt if you’re below 25% and suddenly my summons are healing me as well (albeit only to like 30-35% but I have plenty of golems that redirect incoming damage). On top of that, I got a legendary rune that gives flat +100% damage (after leveling it up) and another perk for +100% damage for my summons for the first four turns of every combat so stuff is just melting given how fast I can summon things when you don’t care about the health cost.

Just killed the third boss before I had to go to bed, so still early, but looking around I didn’t see anyone else talking about this and just wondering if anyone here had tried it out. Seems pretty fun so far!

I played it on PC for a while, I'll get back into it now it's on Xbox. I was enjoying it, benoni got distracted by another shiny, as I so often do.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Now that I’m playing the Downfall nod, I want to play it on mobile which can never happen :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Knocked out 1000/1000 gamerscore on Tainted Grail. I like it a lot (and the achievements are way more player-friendly than StS!). My major complaint is that since they have three decks but then three unique classes for each of those decks, you end up with some cards that are literally useless traps for some classes. For example, I failed four runs in a row with Summoner until I just straight up deleted the Fae and Golem cards from the deck in the beginning and then suddenly it was easy mode cruise to victory. Whereas when I played Necromancer, Summon Fae was the bread&butter requirement to make it work. Apostate as well I had to delete the quiver cards from the deck and then suddenly everything was getting smashed (to be fair I think I didn't really use quivers on any of the archer classes; having to spend your ultimate charges to draw arrows is pretty meh).

Anyways, definitely recommend a try, especially if you have gamepass.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Now that I’m playing the Downfall nod, I want to play it on mobile which can never happen :(

Did you figure out a way to get anywhere with the Snecko? I tried it once and it kept on giving me cards that literally did nothing, stuff like "do X when in Y stance". I usually easily win any A0 run but that time I just got my ass kicked. I also didn't really understand why the mod makes gremlin elites extra hard when playing gremlins, they are hardly powerful enough to warrant the extra punishment. But I still barely got my A0 win, unlike Snecko.

Mirkel wrote: »

Did you figure out a way to get anywhere with the Snecko? I tried it once and it kept on giving me cards that literally did nothing, stuff like "do X when in Y stance". I usually easily win any A0 run but that time I just got my ass kicked. I also didn't really understand why the mod makes gremlin elites extra hard when playing gremlins, they are hardly powerful enough to warrant the extra punishment. But I still barely got my A0 win, unlike Snecko.

I've only played as the Slime Boss and the Guardian so far. My god I hate Snecko though, so I might just pass it by. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular

Try streaming from your Steam to your phone. I played this way for a while and it was a great experience. Just make sure to turn on touchscreen mode in StS.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Try streaming from your Steam to your phone. I played this way for a while and it was a great experience. Just make sure to turn on touchscreen mode in StS.

Can you stream Steam to iOS from while out and about?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I don't know. I used it while at home, over the local network.

Edit: This blurb (https://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/) suggest you can
    Using Steam Link, you can connect to any computer that's running Steam - either on a local network or over the internet.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    Tonight I beat A20 for the first time!

9s8oiurnhh1g.png

My first card option was Cloak & Dagger followed by Accuracy. My first Relic was the Dead Branch and my path before me became clear. I had several close calls on the first act, but squeaked by the skin of my teeth. My options were bad, so I went with the Broken Crown. I remember @The Zombie Penguin breaking the numbers down on why only one card choice was bad, but my deck had x2 Cloak & Daggers, x1 Blade Dance, and X1 Accuracy, so I felt the base was there to make something work.

My gameplan was to remove everything via the 50g Merchant's Mask to have a fast cycle deck. The first shop I hit on Act 2 had the Kunai and After Image. Suddenly I was off to the races. The Shivs and After Image allowed me to output damage and scale safely through most of Act 2, while a late Accuracy and an Apotheosis+ pick-up got me through the end of Act 2 and all of Act 3.

By the end, randomized cards and crazy scaling won out against the Shapes and Awoken One. Thankfully I dodged the Time Eater or it probably would have killed the run. But yeah, never had a run go that strong with so little. Dead Branch is the MVP of all the Relics.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Having dead branch and a bunch of ways to make shivs to exhaust reduces most of the issues with broken crown, at cost of significantly increasing your deck's volatility. So that's like the one place I'd be happy taking it

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I beat the game with the Guardian today and accidentally finished Act 4 at the same time. Pretty neat ending phase.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I’m….really bad at this game. :)

bzeaba9mb3qs.jpeg
    wp13e3m52vin.jpeg

Pretty sad when my best win rate is just under 50%.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    That is a lot of hours, my friend.

shadowane wrote: »

That's just on iOS too! You'd think I'd be better. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

Nah, he's not broken 3k hours, this is amateur level stuff

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlW3BmUz2ko

ok that was fun to watch. Streamer kills the Heart on A20 with Pressure Points + meditate shenanigans.

edit: ahahah ok this one is also great. Shiv heart kill? Check. A20? Check. Zero damage taken check.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEsYkePNdg

Phoenix-D on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Shivs are nuts now

Attention @darunia106, please report to the Spire. I repeat, @darunia106, please report to the Spire for debriefing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I suppose this is as good a place as I can find for this recommendation.

Backpack Hero is an inventory tetris roguelite. They're doing the crowdfunding thing, so there's a while until the full game is out. But they've got a very nice demo, with plenty of content for multiple runs, freely available on itch.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    I suppose this is as good a place as I can find for this recommendation.

Backpack Hero is an inventory tetris roguelite. They're doing the crowdfunding thing, so there's a while until the full game is out. But they've got a very nice demo, with plenty of content for multiple runs, freely available on itch.

I had a little go after seeing a YouTuber try it.

Good fun, I’d love to see it on the Xbox in future, so I can couch play it and chase achievements.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Sometimes I think the RNG is taunting me. Today's daily is the Silent with Watcher cards. First pull, Pressure Points. OK there's no way that's going to come up enough to work with two character's card pools in play. Pass.

Two fights later, Pressure Points. #%WE%T% but apply logic again.

I ended up passing on it four times, which would have made the deck hit so much harder. :rotate:

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Sometimes I think the RNG is taunting me. Today's daily is the Silent with Watcher cards. First pull, Pressure Points. OK there's no way that's going to come up enough to work with two character's card pools in play. Pass.

Two fights later, Pressure Points. #%WE%T% but apply logic again.

I ended up passing on it four times, which would have made the deck hit so much harder. :rotate:

If it makes you feel better, taking a mass combo card (Pressure Points, Shivs, etc) will guarantee you don't get any more offered in the future. What you were seeing was the same Pressure Point card being offered again. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Got my first A20 clear a couple days ago, which was a Silent win including the heart. Very pleased with that.
    I have an A20 Ironclad kill on my Ios version, but lost to the heart, so I don't count that one.

Next up is defect though. We'll see how long that takes me.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Speaking of dailies, the newest one is absurd.
    It turns out wrath stance is even more busted with wraith form. And then you throw in phantasmal killer and *chef kiss*

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I’m steadily climbing on my iOS copy and had a ridiculous Ironclad run yesterday. Normal Corruption/Feel No Pain/Dark Embrace shenanigans, but I got Prismatic on my first shop. So I was doing ridiculous Watcher scrying and Defect frost orb nonsense with my Barricaded Ironclad. I also picked up the Defect double play form and mirror copied my 40 block Ironclad rare.

Then I got the Intangible event, and it just went to the moon.

Then in the Act 4 elite I got Dead Branch and the whole thing just got dumb. The Heart died on like turn 4 or something and I didn’t take any damage.

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2022
    Carful not to mention Prismatic here or it could summon a frustrated @“the zombie penguin“. Although we now have a @BionicPenguin here now, so we can finally find out if they’re related.

Edit: stupid tagging system for people with spaces in their names…grumble grumble. Why must we be punished for proper spacing grammar!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    To be fair to me, my dislike of Prismatic is mostly i think it's conceptually really cool and executed very badly.

My proposed rework would be putting it in an act 1 event - possibly an event that only pops within the first half of act 1. Then making it so when you draft cards with it, you're offered 1 card from each class - stuff that gives you additional cards to see would add a wild card slot that could be anything. Add in some other stuff to the event so there's rewards you can get that dont involve taking the shard (For instance, see a set of uncommons from the other classes, or w/e)

First shop buy is a perfect place to get it, honestly.

To be fair to me, my dislike of Prismatic is mostly i think it's conceptually really cool and executed very badly.

My proposed rework would be putting it in an act 1 event - possibly an event that only pops within the first half of act 1. Then making it so when you draft cards with it, you're offered 1 card from each class - stuff that gives you additional cards to see would add a wild card slot that could be anything. Add in some other stuff to the event so there's rewards you can get that dont involve taking the shard (For instance, see a set of uncommons from the other classes, or w/e)

To expand on this: I think any given option in the game should have a reasonable chance to increase your odds of winning. Prismatic Lense is currently the only relic in the game that arguably has a negative effect on your win rate - 95% of the time, buying it will tank your chances of winning, because you've both spent gold you could have spent elsewhere (this is fine, that's a balance leaver for ANY relic) and diluted your card pool badly (This is the not fine bit).

Which sucks! Because again, conceptually, it's very very cool. It's just in practice... Eeegh.

Oh, also, if anyone's keen on some Slay the Spire esque goodness - if you want card games, i highly recommend checking out Vault of the Void. We've got a thread around here somewhere. If you're just here for turn based rougelike action with an intent system and a cool hook, i highgly recommend Backpack Hero - where your inventory is a grid and you have to shuffle things around full on inventory tetris style, with different items getting different bonuses for things like being adjacent, or in a row/coloumn... it's pretty great! There's a whole demo on itch.io here

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Both of those are on the wish list but I'm waiting for full versions to come out.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

I think you might even be hitting on a better solution in this post without thinking about it ...
    Since there are now 4 classes it should also add +1 card to the pool. I know that would make it overlap with the existing artifact, but 1 card per class is still wildly less consistent than 4 cards from one. It also gives it a rationality to picking it besides "I guess I want to roll the dice on this run," or "I'm bored / feeling spicy." :P

ArcticLancer on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I have a question that's probably answered elsewhere in the thread, but:

Do card drafts tend to favor cards you already have?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I have a question that's probably answered elsewhere in the thread, but:

Do card drafts tend to favor cards you already have?

No. I wish, though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    The thing about going on a StS spree is wondering why that one artifact didn't trigger, when I haven't gotten it this run, but the one 20 minutes ago.

Or the "Everything will be fantastic as soon as I draw [card not appearing in this deck]"

It's especially bad when I play some sealed and the decks start to get a bit samey.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera

I think you might even be hitting on a better solution in this post without thinking about it ...
    Since there are now 4 classes it should also add +1 card to the pool. I know that would make it overlap with the existing artifact, but 1 card per class is still wildly less consistent than 4 cards from one. It also gives it a rationality to picking it besides "I guess I want to roll the dice on this run," or "I'm bored / feeling spicy." :P

My suggestion does implement that +1 card thing though, already. And I think it's better for prismatic to lean into the all colors theme than just be you randomly see a mix of colors. You're more likely to get players playing to interesting cross class synergies (ironclad strength with silent shivs just as an obvious example).

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

My suggestion does implement that +1 card thing though, already. And I think it's better for prismatic to lean into the all colors theme than just be you randomly see a mix of colors. You're more likely to get players playing to interesting cross class synergies (ironclad strength with silent shivs just as an obvious example).
    I didn't take the original explanation to roll that in. We're on the same page.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've un-learned how to play Defect on A20+Heart

I haven't won a run in 20+ attempts, it's crazy

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

Welcome to my world.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I think my biggest issue is I suck at pathing; knowing when I need to go hunt for cards vs do I have the strength to pound out elites, etc. and then there's the run where I hit the nuts in terms of cards and relics, but draw my deck upside down (which is a sign I've drafted too much really). I just try to high roll every run and it isn't working I guess

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Welcome to my world.

I am so much worse at this game than I used to be :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    I think my biggest issue is I suck at pathing; knowing when I need to go hunt for cards vs do I have the strength to pound out elites, etc. and then there's the run where I hit the nuts in terms of cards and relics, but draw my deck upside down (which is a sign I've drafted too much really). I just try to high roll every run and it isn't working I guess

To be fair, that's quite possibly the hardest skill in the game to learn. I dont think there's anything wrong with high-rolling, honestly - You can try and be Jorbs and super analyze every choice, but let's be real: Jorb's playstyle is godawful boring to watch/play sometimes. SET YOURSELF ON FIRE AND CRASH INTO EVERYONE, it's way more fun.