As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

19394969899

Posts

  • TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    So that video finally convinced me to redownload Star Citizen to see this for myself.

    I'll reserve judgement, but nothing in that video game me even the slightest hint of an industry-changing-next-generation-highest-fidelity game of all time. If that video had just been sent to me randomly, my guess would've been a new Early Access Steam game, than Star Citizen.

    But for the sake of thread decorum, I'll spend a few hours tooting around SC before I comment further.

    I call you falling down an elevator shaft in the first 5 minutes.

    Just_Bri_ThanksMr Ray
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I had one yesterday where I login and when I climb out of bed I am not inside the building so I fall and break my legs and die.

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I had one yesterday where I login and when I climb out of bed I am not inside the building so I fall and break my legs and die.

    This will be fixed once they implement sanitation services, whose AI will fail when the server becomes unstable, leaving alleys overflowing with trash to break your fall.

    MechMantisStormwatcher
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    have the people who paid hundreds of bucks to claim land that they can homestead and grow crops on made guides on how to get started w/ homesteading and the best money-making farm strategies

    SYhhzZG.jpg?2?8605
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    So that video finally convinced me to redownload Star Citizen to see this for myself.

    I'll reserve judgement, but nothing in that video game me even the slightest hint of an industry-changing-next-generation-highest-fidelity game of all time. If that video had just been sent to me randomly, my guess would've been a new Early Access Steam game, than Star Citizen.

    But for the sake of thread decorum, I'll spend a few hours tooting around SC before I comment further.

    I call you falling down an elevator shaft in the first 5 minutes.

    Yeah. I started on a planet, Crusader? I don't know.

    But I got out of my bed, figured out how to open the door, walked down the hall to the elevator. Hit the button and the doors opened.

    I've seen enough of SC to know that when it looks like there's no elevator there...there's no elevator there. let the doors closed, hit the button again, and the elevator showed up.

    The only other thing I did was find the spacedock, get in my ship, and fly into space. I figured out how to Quantum jump to the nearest POI. When I tried to hail the station to land, got no reply over and over again, so I just quit.

    And look, I have not been in the game since the hanger module was first available and you could walk around your ship. I remember back years and years ago thinking the game looked amazing. Logging in this afternoon, things look nice. Graphics and environments were nice. But given what people had been posting here the last few weeks, I couldn't say I felt like I was logging into the same game that was being described.

    Maybe I'll watch a couple more tutorials, learn how to get a mission to go shoot something in space, and see if that produces any thrills.

  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    ironzerg wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    So that video finally convinced me to redownload Star Citizen to see this for myself.

    I'll reserve judgement, but nothing in that video game me even the slightest hint of an industry-changing-next-generation-highest-fidelity game of all time. If that video had just been sent to me randomly, my guess would've been a new Early Access Steam game, than Star Citizen.

    But for the sake of thread decorum, I'll spend a few hours tooting around SC before I comment further.

    I call you falling down an elevator shaft in the first 5 minutes.

    Yeah. I started on a planet, Crusader? I don't know.

    But I got out of my bed, figured out how to open the door, walked down the hall to the elevator. Hit the button and the doors opened.

    I've seen enough of SC to know that when it looks like there's no elevator there...there's no elevator there. let the doors closed, hit the button again, and the elevator showed up.

    The only other thing I did was find the spacedock, get in my ship, and fly into space. I figured out how to Quantum jump to the nearest POI. When I tried to hail the station to land, got no reply over and over again, so I just quit.

    And look, I have not been in the game since the hanger module was first available and you could walk around your ship. I remember back years and years ago thinking the game looked amazing. Logging in this afternoon, things look nice. Graphics and environments were nice. But given what people had been posting here the last few weeks, I couldn't say I felt like I was logging into the same game that was being described.

    Maybe I'll watch a couple more tutorials, learn how to get a mission to go shoot something in space, and see if that produces any thrills.

    I maintain that you would be doing yourself a favor if you wait until the Starmap is replaced before diving in.

    I am not easily deterred* by buggy bullshit, but I recall frequently spending more time trying to select a mission beacons on that God forsaken thing than the time it took to actually fly there and kill everyone.

    (And salvage gameplay is allegedly imminent)

    *When the claim bug was permanently eating ships, I played through the pain until I had no ships to left to feed it (Four? I think?).

    ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    So that video finally convinced me to redownload Star Citizen to see this for myself.

    I'll reserve judgement, but nothing in that video game me even the slightest hint of an industry-changing-next-generation-highest-fidelity game of all time. If that video had just been sent to me randomly, my guess would've been a new Early Access Steam game, than Star Citizen.

    But for the sake of thread decorum, I'll spend a few hours tooting around SC before I comment further.

    I call you falling down an elevator shaft in the first 5 minutes.

    Yeah. I started on a planet, Crusader? I don't know.

    But I got out of my bed, figured out how to open the door, walked down the hall to the elevator. Hit the button and the doors opened.

    I've seen enough of SC to know that when it looks like there's no elevator there...there's no elevator there. let the doors closed, hit the button again, and the elevator showed up.

    The only other thing I did was find the spacedock, get in my ship, and fly into space. I figured out how to Quantum jump to the nearest POI. When I tried to hail the station to land, got no reply over and over again, so I just quit.

    And look, I have not been in the game since the hanger module was first available and you could walk around your ship. I remember back years and years ago thinking the game looked amazing. Logging in this afternoon, things look nice. Graphics and environments were nice. But given what people had been posting here the last few weeks, I couldn't say I felt like I was logging into the same game that was being described.

    Maybe I'll watch a couple more tutorials, learn how to get a mission to go shoot something in space, and see if that produces any thrills.

    Not every point has a landing pad. Do you recall where you quantumed to? It's possible you ended up at what is essentially a glorified waypoint. It's basically just a satellite in space to mark a quantum-to location.

    There's no tutorial for what the symbols mean, but each of the various symbols does actually have a useful meaning behind it. For landing areas, the main thing you're gonna want to look for is the hollow square icon. If you started at Crusader, your in-space landing zone is Port Olisar which is both the best and worst landing area in the game, simultaneously. Best because it has open landing pads and it's extremely easy to get in and out of. Everything is convenient, and out of all the landing zones, it is by far the easiest to navigate, and has quick access to ammo shops, and the essentials for adventuring. It's the worst landing zone because it has open landing pads and it's extremely easy to get in and out of, and PVPers know this, so Port Olisar is also the #1 hotspot for people trying to pick a fight and start a PVP engagement.

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Sounds good. The place I flew to was the nearest waypoint outside the planet...It gave me a message about using the comms to request landing priveleges, but it might also not actually be implemented.

    If I wanted to pick up a mission to go shoot something in space, where abouts would I find that?

  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    Mobiglass will pick up missions from the local planet, should usually be some merc work there.

    Hurston-area has a lot of FPS stuff mixed in.

    Crusader/ PO / GH area should be your best bet for mostly space stuff, unless they've added bunker content to Yela and Cellin.

    ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The other day a guy was asking for help in chat because he was inside at a trading terminal and he came back out and his ship was gone. I had some time to kill before picking up my daughter from preschool so I decided to spawn the Pisces since it's only a 40 second spawn timer instead of my Super Hornet's 7min or so timer.

    Get there in my Scootie Puff Jr. and head towards the player's beacon when I'm suddenly jumped by an NPC Eclipse and Mustang or something or other. I cursed the heavens that I chose speed over firepower, but I still managed to take them out using just 2 laser repeaters and felt pretty good about myself.

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    ElvenshaeMechMantis
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sounds good. The place I flew to was the nearest waypoint outside the planet...It gave me a message about using the comms to request landing priveleges, but it might also not actually be implemented.

    If I wanted to pick up a mission to go shoot something in space, where abouts would I find that?

    Contacting ATC is pretty counter-intuitive; you have to go into your mobiglas's "Commlink" section, and, if you're in range, ATC will show up in your Friends list. Alternatively as of 3.17 you can bind it to a key, but its not bound by default. A lot of people use F3 since its not bound to anything currently. Missions can be found in the "Contracts" tab of your Mobiglas (F4).

  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sounds good. The place I flew to was the nearest waypoint outside the planet...It gave me a message about using the comms to request landing priveleges, but it might also not actually be implemented.

    If I wanted to pick up a mission to go shoot something in space, where abouts would I find that?

    Contacting ATC is pretty counter-intuitive; you have to go into your mobiglas's "Commlink" section, and, if you're in range, ATC will show up in your Friends list. Alternatively as of 3.17 you can bind it to a key, but its not bound by default. A lot of people use F3 since its not bound to anything currently. Missions can be found in the "Contracts" tab of your Mobiglas (F4).

    You can also flip through one of your ship's MFDs to bring up the Comm page and call ATC through the MFD. I used to go through MobiGlass, but found it clunkier than just having an MFD set to Comms so I could see when I got in range of requesting a landing pad.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    ArbitraryDescriptor
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sounds good. The place I flew to was the nearest waypoint outside the planet...It gave me a message about using the comms to request landing priveleges, but it might also not actually be implemented.

    If I wanted to pick up a mission to go shoot something in space, where abouts would I find that?

    Contacting ATC is pretty counter-intuitive; you have to go into your mobiglas's "Commlink" section, and, if you're in range, ATC will show up in your Friends list. Alternatively as of 3.17 you can bind it to a key, but its not bound by default. A lot of people use F3 since its not bound to anything currently. Missions can be found in the "Contracts" tab of your Mobiglas (F4).

    You can also flip through one of your ship's MFDs to bring up the Comm page and call ATC through the MFD. I used to go through MobiGlass, but found it clunkier than just having an MFD set to Comms so I could see when I got in range of requesting a landing pad.

    Just make sure when you're using a MFD you're not accidentally highlight something else like "EXIT SHIP"

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    Mr RayElvenshae
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sounds good. The place I flew to was the nearest waypoint outside the planet...It gave me a message about using the comms to request landing priveleges, but it might also not actually be implemented.

    If I wanted to pick up a mission to go shoot something in space, where abouts would I find that?

    Contacting ATC is pretty counter-intuitive; you have to go into your mobiglas's "Commlink" section, and, if you're in range, ATC will show up in your Friends list. Alternatively as of 3.17 you can bind it to a key, but its not bound by default. A lot of people use F3 since its not bound to anything currently. Missions can be found in the "Contracts" tab of your Mobiglas (F4).

    Yeah. Did that. It rang for a bit then disconnected. Did it a few times, without anyone answers.

    I then started having PTSD flashbacks from calling girls in high school to ask them out and it led me to log out. :smile:

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I wish the Gladiator had some paint schemes. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of SC.

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I posted about this a couple weeks ago but I appreciate that thread has stopped calling the game a scam, it's not a scam, we discussed why.

    Instead the discussion has just been about how the game is STUPID and their design decisions are STUPID and what the fuck are they even doing.

    It was very entertaining to catch up on the past week of posts, thank you all!

    shit I just stood up and my bedsheet is caught on my leg, oh no

    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Stormwatcher
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I posted about this a couple weeks ago but I appreciate that thread has stopped calling the game a scam, it's not a scam, we discussed why.

    Instead the discussion has just been about how the game is STUPID and their design decisions are STUPID and what the fuck are they even doing.

    It was very entertaining to catch up on the past week of posts, thank you all!

    shit I just stood up and my bedsheet is caught on my leg, oh no

    Yes, but does it look very nice as it deforms around the leg it is stuck on? Realistic, no?

  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Holy crap. We went 11 posts in a row that were actually talking about playing the game before the snark and hate crept back in. That’s gotta be some sort of record.

    ElvenshaeMr Ray
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I thought it was funny. It conjured images of a dev hunched over their rig watching an NPC t-pose out of the cot and the entire bed sheet flying around the cabin like a flock of trapped birds. Followed by a deep sigh.

    Made me chuckle.

    ArbitraryDescriptorJust_Bri_ThanksOneAngryPossumEl Mucho
  • TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I thought it was funny. It conjured images of a dev hunched over their rig watching an NPC t-pose out of the cot and the entire bed sheet flying around the cabin like a flock of trapped birds. Followed by a deep sigh.

    Made me chuckle.

    Boid bedsheets.

  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So I downloaded this to give it a shot after who knows how long the last time I played this was. I am not able to leave my hangar. I did some basic binding of control axes to be able to move around, but somehow the "strafe up" binding I used apparently translates to "pitch up" and I can't actually get my ship to hover without pointing its nose at the ceiling. Even using the default binding on space is causing me to flip backwards. Additionally, it's not reading the yaw axis for my pedals that I bound, nor the throttle axis, even though both are showing up in the binding screen.

    oh, for the old :rotate: emote...

    5gsowHm.png
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So I downloaded this to give it a shot after who knows how long the last time I played this was. I am not able to leave my hangar. I did some basic binding of control axes to be able to move around, but somehow the "strafe up" binding I used apparently translates to "pitch up" and I can't actually get my ship to hover without pointing its nose at the ceiling. Even using the default binding on space is causing me to flip backwards. Additionally, it's not reading the yaw axis for my pedals that I bound, nor the throttle axis, even though both are showing up in the binding screen.

    oh, for the old :rotate: emote...

    If you just want to test out movement and such you're probably better off booting up Free Flight mode, that way you can tinker with your controls in a more forgiving environment without the pressure of crashing into a wall, exploding and spending 10 minutes to get back to your ship. But I suspect in rebinding your controls you've either accidentally unbound something important, or bound something to two things at once, maybe try resetting to defaults and changing one thing at a time? I definitely once managed to bind "strafe up" and "pitch up" to the same input, with hilarious explosive consequences.

    Elvenshae
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sounds good. The place I flew to was the nearest waypoint outside the planet...It gave me a message about using the comms to request landing priveleges, but it might also not actually be implemented.

    If I wanted to pick up a mission to go shoot something in space, where abouts would I find that?

    Contacting ATC is pretty counter-intuitive; you have to go into your mobiglas's "Commlink" section, and, if you're in range, ATC will show up in your Friends list. Alternatively as of 3.17 you can bind it to a key, but its not bound by default. A lot of people use F3 since its not bound to anything currently. Missions can be found in the "Contracts" tab of your Mobiglas (F4).

    You can also flip through one of your ship's MFDs to bring up the Comm page and call ATC through the MFD. I used to go through MobiGlass, but found it clunkier than just having an MFD set to Comms so I could see when I got in range of requesting a landing pad.

    Just make sure when you're using a MFD you're not accidentally highlight something else like "EXIT SHIP"

    I was watching a video of a dude playing, and he kept pressing EJECT all the time. It was pretty funny.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I hope Fleet Week has Anvil unveiling a 3 man crew ship.

    It feels like Anvil has small ships and big ships, but no medium ships. The Valkyrie is close, but I still think it's big and not quite built for what I'm thinking

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Honestly I think one of my favorite multiplayer ships of all time is the Liberator from the first Planetside. Gimme one of those, Anvil

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I love Anvil's ship designs so I'm right there with you.

    Carrack is still my dream ship. But I'm waiting until there's no more wipes before I make the effort to save up 26mil credits to buy it.

    I'd honestly like to see an Anvil ship the size of the MSR.

    I also love Crusader ship designs, and since I want to be a medivac pilot as my primary profession in this game, a Crusader branded medical ship is my #1 wishlist item.

  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So I downloaded this to give it a shot after who knows how long the last time I played this was. I am not able to leave my hangar. I did some basic binding of control axes to be able to move around, but somehow the "strafe up" binding I used apparently translates to "pitch up" and I can't actually get my ship to hover without pointing its nose at the ceiling. Even using the default binding on space is causing me to flip backwards. Additionally, it's not reading the yaw axis for my pedals that I bound, nor the throttle axis, even though both are showing up in the binding screen.

    oh, for the old :rotate: emote...

    If you just want to test out movement and such you're probably better off booting up Free Flight mode, that way you can tinker with your controls in a more forgiving environment without the pressure of crashing into a wall, exploding and spending 10 minutes to get back to your ship. But I suspect in rebinding your controls you've either accidentally unbound something important, or bound something to two things at once, maybe try resetting to defaults and changing one thing at a time? I definitely once managed to bind "strafe up" and "pitch up" to the same input, with hilarious explosive consequences.

    So, having taken your advice on Free Flight, I've managed to get my controls to a point where I can fly around. I managed to leave the Area 18 hangar, fly around the city a little, and land again. It was going swimmingly until I looked down as I was about to get out and noticed a glowing "Eject" button, and had to know what would happen if I ejected in the hangar.

    Long story short I am now lying inside my first insurance claim Avenger wearing a hospital gown.

    5gsowHm.png
    MechMantisDirtmuncherIanatorMr RayDaMoonRulzArbitraryDescriptorElvenshaeAsh-Housewares
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 13
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So I downloaded this to give it a shot after who knows how long the last time I played this was. I am not able to leave my hangar. I did some basic binding of control axes to be able to move around, but somehow the "strafe up" binding I used apparently translates to "pitch up" and I can't actually get my ship to hover without pointing its nose at the ceiling. Even using the default binding on space is causing me to flip backwards. Additionally, it's not reading the yaw axis for my pedals that I bound, nor the throttle axis, even though both are showing up in the binding screen.

    oh, for the old :rotate: emote...

    If you just want to test out movement and such you're probably better off booting up Free Flight mode, that way you can tinker with your controls in a more forgiving environment without the pressure of crashing into a wall, exploding and spending 10 minutes to get back to your ship. But I suspect in rebinding your controls you've either accidentally unbound something important, or bound something to two things at once, maybe try resetting to defaults and changing one thing at a time? I definitely once managed to bind "strafe up" and "pitch up" to the same input, with hilarious explosive consequences.

    So, having taken your advice on Free Flight, I've managed to get my controls to a point where I can fly around. I managed to leave the Area 18 hangar, fly around the city a little, and land again. It was going swimmingly until I looked down as I was about to get out and noticed a glowing "Eject" button, and had to know what would happen if I ejected in the hangar.

    Long story short I am now lying inside my first insurance claim Avenger wearing a hospital gown.

    "I wonder what happens if I do this" is the basis of any sandbox game. You did good.

    I'm curious to see what the special event is that they have for Invictus this year; unconfirmed leaks suggest that its some kind of FPS mission on the floating platforms of Orison. If I had to guess, those dastardly Ninetails are going to try and steal a Javelin or a Bengal while its vulnerable in Orison's atmosphere, and you'll have to have a gunfight with them with the fleet as either a pretty backdrop or (if we're lucky) on top of the fleet itself.

    Mr Ray on
    Elvenshae
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular


    The conclusion to the Skunkworks "storyline" of missions involving rogue executives

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    Elvenshae
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Am I correct in assuming that if I try to run box missions in a hospital gown, I will die as soon as I open my ship if the planet I'm on doesn't have a breathable atmosphere?

    5gsowHm.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    Is not quite instant, but yes being in an unbreathable atmosphere kills you quickly. Respawning should give you a free undersuit and helmet in local storage though.

    NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Syngyne I think you usually get 8 seconds, and you spend the first 4 saying "What's that gasping noise?" 1 second saying "Oh shit my helmet!" And the last 3 seconds are futilely running back to the protected entrance only to die one second away from safety

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    LucascraftAsh-HousewaresMr RayStormwatcher
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Hmm… this sounds like a challenge to me.

    5gsowHm.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Hmm… this sounds like a challenge to me.

    I'm a little surprised that "Hospital Gown Challenge" isn't a thing yet. Most game communities love stuff like that. Naked runs and playing as the Wretch are a staple of FromSoft games. I've seen the "Three Heart Challenge" for older Zelda games. And so forth.

    Maybe you're the pioneer in this new community challenge.

  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sounds good. The place I flew to was the nearest waypoint outside the planet...It gave me a message about using the comms to request landing priveleges, but it might also not actually be implemented.

    If I wanted to pick up a mission to go shoot something in space, where abouts would I find that?

    Contacting ATC is pretty counter-intuitive; you have to go into your mobiglas's "Commlink" section, and, if you're in range, ATC will show up in your Friends list. Alternatively as of 3.17 you can bind it to a key, but its not bound by default. A lot of people use F3 since its not bound to anything currently. Missions can be found in the "Contracts" tab of your Mobiglas (F4).

    You can also flip through one of your ship's MFDs to bring up the Comm page and call ATC through the MFD. I used to go through MobiGlass, but found it clunkier than just having an MFD set to Comms so I could see when I got in range of requesting a landing pad.

    It's the bolded that really seals it. IIRC, the act of doing it via the MG isn't too onerous itself (F11->click->click?), but the contact list doesn't refresh while you're looking at it, so you have to keep re-checking until you're in range.
    I'm sorry, I thought it was funny. It conjured images of a dev hunched over their rig watching an NPC t-pose out of the cot and the entire bed sheet flying around the cabin like a flock of trapped birds. Followed by a deep sigh.

    Made me chuckle.
    A passing Chris Roberts, drawn by the sound of the young developer's laughter, sees the linen-strewn compartment and demands an explanation.

    [Spoilered for: 'I can't even make [i]me[/i] read all that, but my thumbs will never forgive me if I delete it']
    The cloth dev begins to explain the cascading physics goof but is quickly interrupted by Roberts.

    "No, I mean why is blanket-head over there still playing the Vanduulpede machine if they can't see the screen?"

    The dev, mouth agape, and brow deeply furrowed, tries to formulate a response, but the the question has veered well outside their wheelhouse.

    Roberts, phone now in hand, reaches across them to take a picture of the screen. "Screenshot that, send it to [AI Lead], then make it do it again."

    The dev, no longer in trouble, but now nervous about directly messaging [AI Lead], complies but remains ill at ease. A few attempts later, a sheet manages to settle on a passing NPCs face, who continues walking and successfully avoids another NPC.

    "No. God damnit. This is not ok. Send that too."

    Roberts barks an order into his phone to call [AI Lead].

    "Not too great, actually, [AI Lead]. Are you trying to make me look like an asshole? I'm over here in physics with.." Roberts trails off and there's a pause, "No, not Mike. The new one, the sheets one. What's your name, kid? Sorry"

    The mortified dev manages to croak out their first name, but only just.

    "[Dev]. Yeah, [Dev surname], probably, they just sent you a picture. You want to tell me what the hell me and [Dev] are looking at here?"

    The dev winces at each mention of their name.

    "Of course fucking sheets! Why would we be calling you about sheets?"

    A much longer pause. The dev withdraws inwardly, trying to will themselves out of existence.

    "How do you not see the problem? Is there a God damned sheet over your head? [Dev], did you put a sheet over [AI Lead's] head? Because I don't know about you, but when there's a sheet over my head: I CAN'T SEE THE WHAT THE FUCK I'M DOING!"

    Roberts pauses again, then laughs, but the dev is too far gone to notice.

    "Right? It didn't occur to me either until just now. I guess we both had sheets over our head!"

    Roberts chucks the catatonic dev on the shoulder and departs in a light jog. "I'm heading back now, get all the leads online, all of them. There's a lot to unpack here. Eye damage, helmet visors, vehicle windscreens, fluids, different kinds of fluids, blood, oil, environmental..."

    18 months later:
    AI team has updated the master behavior graph to account for partial or total sensory occlusion, such as a medical condition, a dirty visor, or a physical object placed over their head, building on the systems the UI, Medical, Vehicle, and Fluid physics teams have developed.

    The bedsheet team reports no progress this month.
    .

    The cloth dev bitterly closes the report and picks up the gift Roberts had sent over that day. It was a shiny golden stress ball. The note had read:

    "Thanks for your help today! I'm not a Harry Potter guy, but the team says you're a huge fan and you'd get it."

    The dev's hand reflexively clamps down on the ball as a notification popup appears. It references the ever-growing requirment list which currently includes fluid interactions, stain profiles, and manufacturer and culture specific thread and fabric materials, stich styles and standards, and something called 'weave dynamics' which they have never had the heart to open.

    There is a new task titled "Towel animals," the notification informs them, and the Vehicle Experience and Creature teams have flagged it as a blocking issue for several of their key tasks.

    They pump the ball a few times and release their death grip upon it: could have been worse.

    A second notification appears announcing that someone has added an attachment called "species.csv"

    The attachment is 23 megabytes.

    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    webguy20MonwynDrovekStormwatcherElvenshae
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    The lack of ability to land in a lot of spaces because of the open space landing pads is the biggest limiter, but there's also the issue that you are very limited in what you can be carrying, because you can't holster a gun unless you're wearing at least an undersuit, and I don't know how big the pockets on the gown are to be able to just stash a pistol in there.

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    The lack of ability to land in a lot of spaces because of the open space landing pads is the biggest limiter, but there's also the issue that you are very limited in what you can be carrying, because you can't holster a gun unless you're wearing at least an undersuit, and I don't know how big the pockets on the gown are to be able to just stash a pistol in there.

    Guess that means the Hospital Gown Challenge is stealth takedowns only then.

  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sounds good. The place I flew to was the nearest waypoint outside the planet...It gave me a message about using the comms to request landing priveleges, but it might also not actually be implemented.

    If I wanted to pick up a mission to go shoot something in space, where abouts would I find that?

    Contacting ATC is pretty counter-intuitive; you have to go into your mobiglas's "Commlink" section, and, if you're in range, ATC will show up in your Friends list. Alternatively as of 3.17 you can bind it to a key, but its not bound by default. A lot of people use F3 since its not bound to anything currently. Missions can be found in the "Contracts" tab of your Mobiglas (F4).

    You can also flip through one of your ship's MFDs to bring up the Comm page and call ATC through the MFD. I used to go through MobiGlass, but found it clunkier than just having an MFD set to Comms so I could see when I got in range of requesting a landing pad.

    It's the bolded that really seals it. IIRC, the act of doing it via the MG isn't too onerous itself (F11->click->click?), but the contact list doesn't refresh while you're looking at it, so you have to keep re-checking until you're in range.
    I'm sorry, I thought it was funny. It conjured images of a dev hunched over their rig watching an NPC t-pose out of the cot and the entire bed sheet flying around the cabin like a flock of trapped birds. Followed by a deep sigh.

    Made me chuckle.
    A passing Chris Roberts, drawn by the sound of the young developer's laughter, sees the linen-strewn compartment and demands an explanation.

    [Spoilered for: 'I can't even make [i]me[/i] read all that, but my thumbs will never forgive me if I delete it']
    The cloth dev begins to explain the cascading physics goof but is quickly interrupted by Roberts.

    "No, I mean why is blanket-head over there still playing the Vanduulpede machine if they can't see the screen?"

    The dev, mouth agape, and brow deeply furrowed, tries to formulate a response, but the the question has veered well outside their wheelhouse.

    Roberts, phone now in hand, reaches across them to take a picture of the screen. "Screenshot that, send it to [AI Lead], then make it do it again."

    The dev, no longer in trouble, but now nervous about directly messaging [AI Lead], complies but remains ill at ease. A few attempts later, a sheet manages to settle on a passing NPCs face, who continues walking and successfully avoids another NPC.

    "No. God damnit. This is not ok. Send that too."

    Roberts barks an order to his phone to call [AI Lead].

    "Not too great, actually, [AI Lead]. Are you trying to make me look like an asshole? I'm over here in physics with.." Roberts trails off and there's a pause, "No, not Mike. The new one, the sheets one. What's your name, kid? Sorry"

    The mortified dev manages to croak out their first name, but only just.

    "[Dev]. Yeah, [Dev surname], probably, they just sent you a picture. You want to tell me what the hell me and [Dev] looking at here?"

    The dev winces at each mention of their name.

    "Of course fucking sheets! Why would we be calling you about sheets?"

    A much longer pause. The dev withdraws inwardly, trying to will themselves out of existence.

    "How do you not see the problem? Is there a God damned sheet over your head? [Dev], did you put a sheet over [AI Lead's] head? Because I don't know about you, but when there's a sheet over my head: I CAN'T SEE THE WHAT THE FUCK I'M DOING!"

    Roberts pauses again, then laughs, but the dev is too far gone to notice.

    "Right? It didn't occur to me either until just now. I guess we both had sheets over our head!"

    Roberts chucks the catatonic dev on the shoulder and departs in a light jog. "I'm heading back now, get all the leads online, all of them. There's a lot to unpack here. Eye damage, helmet visors, vehicle windscreens, fluids, different kinds of fluids, blood, oil, environmental..."

    18 months later:
    AI team has updated the master behavior graph to account for partial or total sensory occlusion, such as a medical condition, a dirty visor, or a physical object placed over their head, building on the systems the UI, Medical, Vehicle, and Fluid physics teams have developed.

    The bedsheet team reports no progress this month.
    .

    The cloth dev bitterly closes the report and picks up the gift Roberts had sent over that day. It was a shiny golden stress ball. The note had read:

    "Thanks for your help today! I'm not a Harry Potter guy, but the team says you're a huge fan and you'd get it."

    The dev's hand reflexively clamps down on the ball as a notification popup appears. It references the ever-growing requirment list which currently includes fluid interactions, stain profiles, and manufacturer and culture specific thread and fabric materials, stich styles and standards, and something called 'weave dynamics' which they have never had the heart to open.

    There is a new task titled "Towel animals," the notification informs them, and the Vehicle Experience and Creature teams have flagged it as a blocking issue for several of their key tasks.

    They pump the ball a few times and releases it: could have been worse.

    A second notification appears announcing that someone has added an attachment called "species.csv"

    The attachment is 23 megabytes.

    Have we talked about napkin physics yet.

    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/9bWdR

    The game isn't feature complete untill I can fold a phallus from a napkin.

    steam_sig.png
    Xeddicus
  • TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Fun fact: If your ship is spawned in a hanger, you can contact ATC while outside your ship to open the hanger doors ahead of time.

    Unless they ruined it this patch.

  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I can confirm that the starmap is, indeed, ass.

    5gsowHm.png
This discussion has been closed.