As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I forgot to put up what I painted this weekend. I absolutely love how the Magic Blue Speedpaint came out for the water on Crystal and I wanted to have Black Cat flip off of something slightly taller. The girder alone wasn't doing it for me.

Phone Booth was from Corvus Games Terrain.

o2nm0jxvriyu.jpg
    wd47er07xi2f.jpg

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Purple. Is. Always. The. Answer.

Hell yeah it is

And more purple is better. That's why half my CSM are painted one shade of purple and the other half another shade of purple.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Speaking of purple, I'm (once again, for maybe the 5th or 6th time) repainting my Emperor's Children.
    Starting with a Kill Team and trying a metallic glossy scheme.
    i8dodau1epkk.jpg
    mcgn2dxvetew.jpg

I've also been painting Orks, almost up to 1k fully painted which considering how incomplete most of my miniature collections are, is quite an accomplishment for me!
    kd1a22ngzzb7.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Those Emperor's Children look great! The new Chaos stuff has made me really think about my paint scheme for my CSM, and I think I still like it in concept, but the execution definitely needs work.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I forgot to put up what I painted this weekend. I absolutely love how the Magic Blue Speedpaint came out for the water on Crystal and I wanted to have Black Cat flip off of something slightly taller. The girder alone wasn't doing it for me.

o2nm0jxvriyu.jpg
    wd47er07xi2f.jpg

What scale is marvel crisis protocol? 35mm? 28mm?

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

o2nm0jxvriyu.jpg
    wd47er07xi2f.jpg

40mm

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

o2nm0jxvriyu.jpg
    wd47er07xi2f.jpg

40mm

Aka superheroic scale

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I think I've painted more in the past month than in like, that past two or three years. I hope I can keep it up.

Finished off Ephrael Stern to go with Kyganil. Nothing like painting characters you can directly compare to the GW jobs to make you feel where your skills are lacking. Still, I really just don't like that super bright edge highlight they did on her armor... maybe if I had used contrast paints, it would've given that effect and been okay, but trying to do the bright highlights by hand looked turrible. So instead I basecoated black, drybrushed P3 coal black, drybrushed dawnstone, and then gave the whole model a heavy black wash, which I think turned out looking fairly good for black armor.

wJcOi8F.jpg

wweR7ek.gif

Still terrible with faces too, but I just can't even get shading and highlight details that small. Seriously GW, you painted her teeth? I couldn't see those even when I had 20/20 vision! XD

I might want to change back to my old digicamera and try taking these pics again. Using a light background to make the dark colors stand out really seem to mess with the phone camera's light levels.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Perhaps an interesting lesson in how much difference the backdrop can make when taking pictures. I really wasn't happy with the ones above, so I tried again with a darker backdrop, and I think I might've upset the phone's contrast balancing process a little less.

xmoAaAG.jpg

For one thing, you can actually see how the two drybrushing and then black wash actually did create edge highlights in places.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Super WIP but really happy with how the armor is turning out so far on the vengorian lord
    h7g4fcekz4vn.jpg

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    oTFsChD.jpg

Crescent Hawks diorama is "table ready"!

I'd eventually like to finish it with a small brass plaque stating "CRESCENT HAWKS, 3028" and a backdrop featuring a nighttime city.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    My LGS sells the dirty down rust paint and I really like it. Unfortunately they didn't have any of ghe verdigris one which I really wanted to use for my screaming bell.

The paint goes on way better stippled than brushed on like normal, at least for my tests so far. Also reactivated really easy.

This is the stippled one
    1zr6lpyy4v27.jpg

Did some more rust on these chains from AoS.
    djwq7nj50mj3.jpg

Finished one of the shackles, basing material is still drying on the other two.
    e660962z86h6.jpg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    wooo first 2000 pt AoS army complete!

s39y0670heaa.jpg

*airhorn noises*

Some individual shots
    8n8eiqrgnlzd.jpg
    nc5bdof3cmr9.jpg

uad7c2ipoonu.jpg
    5840q7xzb162.jpg
    u0eao158wnde.jpg

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Slapped together the foot knights from the Agincourt box. These are vanilla without converting since the heads are sculpted on the body. We'll see if I change that later.

fws3u4kqsa78.png

...and a total of four bases of line infantry, so that's an even 100 points for Sludge.

k4r6r53lyqsc.png

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Bros I'm a little disheartened right now. I saw this two cheap spraycans method (spray all over brown, then a light gray/blue at a 45 degree angle) for quickly painting the new Warzone Fronteris Nachmund terrain, and I thought it looked really good (much better than just a generic "prime gray, wash nuln oil, drybrush lighter gray, pick out details" look). I already had a mocha looking brown from painting the trees of the new wildwoods kit, so I figured picking up a $5 can of blue beats picking up another $20 can of whatever GW color I would have gone with.

Yesterday after blasting everything brown I tried the light blue on a single building in between rainshowers and I guess it was either too humid, I used bad paints, or I am too much of a doofus, because it turned out absolutely awful.

There was a break in the rain today, so I have been forced to admit defeat and just spray over it with Mechanicus Standard Gray. I was able to get the blue building sprayed gray before the rain began again, but my can of MSG is very low, so I'm not even sure how many more pieces I could even get done even if the weather was cooperating. I guess this is me hitting rock bottom and coming to the conclusion that I need to finally buy an airbrush. What kind of investment am I going to be looking at here?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    For terrain? A 150 bucks maybe for the compressor with tank including a cheapo airbrush probably. Plus thinner and cleaner.
    If you spray inside I'd get a spraying booth, too.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The iwata + compressor combo I bought was about $170. Great for terrain, priming, zenithal highlighting without much skill.

I've definitely seen folks do wild stuff with an airbrush, but I just like being able to prime without having to use a rattlecan and getting fumes everywhere.

It was also a bad experience with a rattlecan that got me to switch to airbrushing and I don't regret it.

• Options
    There was a break in the rain today, so I have been forced to admit defeat and just spray over it with Mechanicus Standard Gray. I was able to get the blue building sprayed gray before the rain began again, but my can of MSG is very low, so I'm not even sure how many more pieces I could even get done even if the weather was cooperating. I guess this is me hitting rock bottom and coming to the conclusion that I need to finally buy an airbrush. What kind of investment am I going to be looking at here?
    I'd say at least $300 is a healthy budget to get everything you need. You really get what you pay for with an airbrush, You want a gravity fed airbrush - single action (the trigger controls air flow, and that's it) will be cheaper, but you can't adjust the size of the spray while spraying. That's what a double action (the trigger controls air flow when you depress it, and you can move it forward and back to adjust the needle position and spray size) airbrush allows you to do. For the kind of work you're describing, a single action is fine, but as you get better with it you might find yourself wanting the capability of a double action.

You'll also want a spray box. It's a box with a built in suction fan and filter so that you're not filling your living space with aerosolized paint particles.

• Options
    I got half of my MCP backlog totally finished and the other half in various stages of progress. Here's what I got done:

zic0lzcnxdjn.jpg
    lvglhofx6hbu.jpg
    4jp2bginc2lg.jpg
    uhsku63ydvrn.jpg

• Options

A god damn hour. That's how long it took him. Argh

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Does the silly goose edict extend to people outside of the forum? Because motherfucker.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    You'll also want a spray box. It's a box with a built in suction fan and filter so that you're not filling your living space with aerosolized paint particles.

I'm going to piggy-back on this and say that the Spray Box is the 2nd most important piece of kit. I wouldn't use an airbrush indoors without it. The Master Airbrush Brand is what I use. It looks like it's gone up a little in price, but I still recommend it.

I was going to write up more about my learning experiences, but honestly I think the better thing to do is to watch a few intro to airbrushing videos and then come back with any questions you've got. I'm sure that someone in this thread has the answers.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    evdgo33akgky.jpeg

I am excited!!!!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I ordered two bottles of the dirty down verdigris paint off of ebay from Canada since I couldn't find any where else that had it. Really looking forward to throwing this stuff on my screaming bell for my Skaven.

Almost finished with the screaming bell. The grey seer and rat ogor are gonna take me a bit but luckily I remembered to write down what paints I used for the flesh on my stormfiends so I can use that on the rat ogor.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    rp3g0g45g8ep.jpg
    d0vphekvv7ph.jpg
    b0w4ty0f772m.jpg
    0mwyttg8sil4.jpg

A few more that I recently did. These are all mostly Speedpaints except for the metallic bits on Ant-Man and Valkryie.

• Options
    I'm not sure where.the best place to ask this question is, but here seems a good Starr.

I was inspires to touch up my 15 year old marauder destroyer, and the pinning job I did to mount it to a GW flight stand when those came out is not great after all these years.

Secret Weapon miniatures used to have a flight stand widget that gave you a mounting point for to let you use the stand with models not designed for it. That's long gone, but I wondered if anyone knew of a company that made something similar, or for people who know more about what's in the 3d printing realm, if there are any printable parts that serve that function?

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    J on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Great and mighty painting thread I seek your wisdom

What do you think of green and brown or brown and green as primary paint colors for Chaos Knights (40k)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Given that those are the primary colors of both my SM and SoB armies, I'm for it!

It's a good base color combination, gives you a lot to work with in terms of style, and best of all (well it's why I went that way in the first place) it's fairly unique in how often it shows up in those kinds of armies (and I'd totally include chaos knights in that list).
    J wrote: »
    That is EXACTLY the sort of thing I've been looking for, thank you so much!

• Options

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Scibor Miniatures also whipped together a great piece for this the other day.

• Options
    Got Angela, Okoye and Shuri done this weekend. They were all really fun to do.

e9q6hj2ffmr3.jpg
    9dagt6dfcdv7.jpg
    fmanh16ljrr1.jpg

• Options
    Besides time investment, is there a specific reason to use something like leadbelcher spray for the metallic areas of a vehicle as opposed to priming with something matte and then basecoating with a metallic?

• Options
    It's easier to get a more uniform coverage, especially on large vehicles with big panels

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Great and mighty painting thread I seek your wisdom

What do you think of green and brown or brown and green as primary paint colors for Chaos Knights (40k)

Hmm depends on shades and style

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    hpfirqtjizo0.jpeg

I put some paint on some toys again, finally

• Options
    The dirty down verdigris paint got here way earlier than anticipated so I was able to put it to use finally.

2zfr1kwp8gbp.jpg
    owlqqtrb3kdj.jpg

• Options
    Here's the tutorial for that Mk6 upthread
    https://youtu.be/2yhndxQ7v78
    He's just very good at knowing which parts of the model actually need effort and details put in.

This discussion has been closed.