As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Lego] Thread - Adults Welcome

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I think I read the first round has already shipped, or shipping. I have one in the second round and know that hasn't shipped yet.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Mark your calendar for May 17. The last round of Bricklink Designer Program is up for sale on that day.

https://www.thebrickfan.com/bricklink-designer-program-round-3-crowdfunding-opens-may-17/

I'm in for the Observatory and the Diner is tempting me.

I think I should be worried that I get HELOC ads when I go to that page. How well do they know me?

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The page doesn't know you, the advertiser does.

• RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Tiago with an early in-hand review of Optimus Prime. Looks phenomenal!

https://youtu.be/JZK9T39i5RA

And the official Lego promo for our fearless Autobot leader.

https://youtu.be/kzSFqdki0To

Raiju on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i hope Brothers Brick didn't get into too much trouble for leaking early

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, according to the video, the lead designer of that thing previously worked at: Hasbro. Where he made Transformers.

Just, wow.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I like how that guy is like, the gun is one of the few accessories and I'm like dude, have you bought an actual Transformer recently? This Lego one comes with a gun, axe, energon cube, matrix, and a jet pack? That is wayyyyyy more accessories than an average transformer.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ahh, okay, it does use stickers. I retract my earlier suppositions!

Edit: You can tell that Tiago is not a Transformers collector/fan. The reason those stats are there is because that's the "Canonical" Optimus Prime stats from G1, and get referenced a lot of places.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I wonder if this line will keep expanding - and if they'll keep doing G1 designs or start mixing it up

the next most popular transformers would be

Bumblebee - but do you keep the G1 VW beetle design? I feel like it would be hard to get that to scale with Optimus, having him as a Camaro might actually work better here.
    Megatron - uh... does he still transform into a handgun? I feel like even as a fantasy toy that might be a bit much for Lego. He does have a ton of alt modes introduced in the comics and such though.
    Starscream - always a pretty classic design for him.
    Grimlock - I would love to see him, although his G1 dino form is kind of basic compared to most of the vehicles
    Ironhide - again, the classic van shape for him isn't something you find on the streets anymore, so I wonder if he'd be updated into a pickup or SUV
    Soundwave - Do we modernize the tape-deck design? I don't see how else you'd pair him with laserbeak and ravage
    Devastator - Combiners are rad, but I wonder how much re-enforcement you'd need to get five Lego transformers to stay together or support their own weight

edited May 2022
    Megatron has mostly been reimagined as a tank, based on his Gen 2 appearance, because of handgun toy restrictions in the US. I don't think that Lego would make either Megatron or Starscream based on their no-military vehicles position.

For Devastator, we have Voltron. Although in fairness my Voltron just collapsed after being on the shelf for a few years, because the clips used to attached the black lion's front shoulders couldn't support the weight anymore. I suspect that the plastic has creeped (undergone permanent deformation due to a steady load).

Heffling on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Devastator might be impossible to have transformation and combiner functions without major rebuilding.

I'd put money on Grimlock, if I was a betting man.

For a dark horse, how about Astrotrain?

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Although in fairness my Voltron just collapsed after being on the shelf for a few years, because the clips used to attached the black lion's front shoulders couldn't support the weight anymore. I suspect that the plastic has creeped (undergone permanent deformation due to a steady load).
    Please tell me more. I have my lions assembled and tucked away in separate drawers, but I keep telling myself "one day I'll rearrange all my BS and make space to assemble Voltron on a shelf". But, if having him assembled means that he'll break, then, uh, maybe I don't want to assemble him?

Would you mind posting a photo of what the damage looks like, if you have time? (No obligation, of course)

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Although in fairness my Voltron just collapsed after being on the shelf for a few years, because the clips used to attached the black lion's front shoulders couldn't support the weight anymore. I suspect that the plastic has creeped (undergone permanent deformation due to a steady load).
    Please tell me more. I have my lions assembled and tucked away in separate drawers, but I keep telling myself "one day I'll rearrange all my BS and make space to assemble Voltron on a shelf". But, if having him assembled means that he'll break, then, uh, maybe I don't want to assemble him?

Would you mind posting a photo of what the damage looks like, if you have time? (No obligation, of course)

Agreed, holy shit. I've noticed my Voltron wobbling a bit when I walk around, but all toys do that. I have seen those clips break on other models though.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited May 2022
    Brolo wrote: »
    I wonder if this line will keep expanding - and if they'll keep doing G1 designs or start mixing it up

Soundwave - Do we modernize the tape-deck design? I don't see how else you'd pair him with laserbeak and ravage
    My first instinctual reaction was "Oh, just modernize him to an iPod or something", and then I looked at the calendar and remembered that making him an iPod would be the opposite of modernizing him. Then I glanced at a mirror and saw the Cryptkeeper staring back at me.

I think most modern iterations of Soundwave have him as some sort of a spaceship or other type of vehicle.
    Devastator - Combiners are rad, but I wonder how much re-enforcement you'd need to get five Lego transformers to stay together or support their own weight
    Six Lego transformers, in fact! And if you wanted them to be in scale with this Optimus, this Devastator would have to be a very big boy indeed.

Delduwath on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That Optimus Prime is very well done. Im surprised by how well everything works.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981

Ok, I was in the office which is next to our game room and I heard a loud crash. I have a gate at the entrance to the area, so the dogs couldn't have gotten in and bumped the shelf. When I came in, I found his right arm and part of the black lion on the floor, with the right arm still attached. Only a handful of parts fell off, mostly from the sword.

The main body looks like this, with the grey clips on the side being where the black lion's arm attaches:

wxfv3e2u08x4.png

The front legs attached using 6 red clip pieces, as shown next to the red 2x4 tile in this picture:

8s0iyqsidx6y.png

What has happened is that the clips have stretched enough that they no longer provide a secure grip. The clips look like:

jyvux605bqqr.png

I could reattach the leg/arm assembly, but it would easily pop off. And in trying to do so, the other arm popped off with the same weakness. I couldn't get both arms back on and to stay on after about 5 minutes of trying, so I gave up. I could split it into the lions again, but I don't really have the shelf space. So for now I'm going to bag him and put him in the closet, to be addressed at a future time. I am confident that I can replace the clips with 1x1 technic bricks and use pins to secure the legs to the body.

In Voltron mode, the clips support the weight of the leg/arm assembly using only the bottom half of the clip, because the top half grabs but doesn't support any weight. Note that bottom and top are relative to the clips being on their side.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

My first instinctual reaction was "Oh, just modernize him to an iPod or something", and then I looked at the calendar and remembered that making him an iPod would be the opposite of modernizing him. Then I glanced at a mirror and saw the Cryptkeeper staring back at me.

I think most modern iterations of Soundwave have him as some sort of a spaceship or other type of vehicle.
    Six Lego transformers, in fact! And if you wanted them to be in scale with this Optimus, this Devastator would have to be a very big boy indeed.

A lot of modern Soundwave incarnations have him as a tuned van with the Mother Of All Sound Systems (which he can of course weaponize.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited May 2022
    I like how that guy is like, the gun is one of the few accessories and I'm like dude, have you bought an actual Transformer recently? This Lego one comes with a gun, axe, energon cube, matrix, and a jet pack? That is wayyyyyy more accessories than an average transformer.

Basically, he has most of the same accessories as the Masterpiece models (and from the pics, he's about the same size as my MP-01.)

Edit: He even uses a simplified version of the Masterpiece transformation.

AngelHedgie on
    Ah, I get it - thanks for explaining, and the visual aides! Man, that's a bummer. I wonder why they didn't use Technic pins to begin with. Not enough space? I guess those sections do need to be able to rotate 180 degrees and then snap back in, so maybe pins wouldn't create a connection that worked in both configurations?

Yeah, when I convert to pins I will have 3-length pins in the body two deep, with the rim of the pin locked between two single stud technic blocks, and a single stud technic block in the arm. This should retain the rotation.

edited May 2022
    And Lego Optimus has an official landing page in the online store.

6/1/22, $169.99.

That squeal of terror was my wallet.

AngelHedgie on
    Megatron has mostly been reimagined as a tank, based on his Gen 2 appearance, because of handgun toy restrictions in the US. I don't think that Lego would make either Megatron or Starscream based on their no-military vehicles position.

I think if they can get away with making AT-ATs and Clone Wars Gunships they could probably sneak in a sci-fi robot fighter jet, starscream doesn't really need to be a realistic clone of an existing military plane.

I think if they can get away with making AT-ATs and Clone Wars Gunships they could probably sneak in a sci-fi robot fighter jet, starscream doesn't really need to be a realistic clone of an existing military plane.

The problem is that the F-15 design is his "iconic" look, much like the red and blue cabover is Optimus'.

• delphdelph DelawareRegistered User regular
    Can anyone please answer a question from someone with little-to-no Transformers knowledge? Is this the type of model that someone who grew up and played with Transformers in the 1980s would love? I've read about different generations and looks to Optimus Prime and was thinking of surprising a friend who loves Transformers, but might not know of this set yet and asking them would ruin the surprise. :D

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    delph wrote: »
    Can anyone please answer a question from someone with little-to-no Transformers knowledge? Is this the type of model that someone who grew up and played with Transformers in the 1980s would love?

Yes, yes, yes.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Can anyone please answer a question from someone with little-to-no Transformers knowledge? Is this the type of model that someone who grew up and played with Transformers in the 1980s would love? I've read about different generations and looks to Optimus Prime and was thinking of surprising a friend who loves Transformers, but might not know of this set yet and asking them would ruin the surprise. :D

Yes. 100% yes. They have captured the G1 Optimus surprisingly well.

On a separate note, I can't wait for the MOC for the trailer, which I'm sure someone is already working on figuring out.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981

Yes. The design is based on the Masterpiece versions of the toy (that is, MP-01/MP-05/MP-44) which were based on the original G1 design. Which makes it the second coolest version (sadly, it does lose out to the self-transforming $800 Optimus.)

• delphdelph DelawareRegistered User regular
    Thank you all!

edited May 2022

A lot of modern Soundwave incarnations have him as a tuned van with the Mother Of All Sound Systems (which he can of course weaponize.)
    Transformers Animated did that (literally best designs of nearly every character over any iteration of Transformers, I will brook no dissent on this point), but I didn't know that any other version did, that's cool.

(Animated Laserbeak transforms into an electric guitar, and Animated Ratbat transforms into a keytar)

Delduwath on
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

Basically, he has most of the same accessories as the Masterpiece models (and from the pics, he's about the same size as my MP-01.)

He’s even bigger than MP-01!

a2g0wusgkqcn.jpeg

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oddly enough Soundwave has returned to his tapedeck mode for all the newer Transformers toys (as well as his cassettes). Probably because everyone who grew up with Transformers only knows him as that. There is the Bumblebee Movie Soundwave which transforms into a "hovercraft" (aka pancake).

I'm going to guess if they continue the Transformers they would go with Bumblebee since he is pretty iconic and VW has allowed TakaraTomy/Hasbro to license it as well. No idea how they would make him transform though.

I could see them just leaving it at Optimus Prime and moving on.

Thanks @Heffling for warning others about the Voltron. I have them combined and think I'll take them apart to try and preserve him.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    pezgen wrote: »

He’s even bigger than MP-01!

a2g0wusgkqcn.jpeg

man it really says something about the design that you actually have to look out for the studs to figure out which one is the lego model

Hmm, the tanks just below the knees are horizontal on this Optimus instead of vertical, this is unacceptable, this set is garbage, throw it in a landfill and arrest the designers for treason.

• ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    I'm really torn on this set because the set itself is incredible, but I never got into Transformers as a kid. My interest in this set is more "whoa, dope Lego set," and not "holy shit, a Lego Optimus Prime!" I think I'll have to sit this one out; it's $160 and I'm in grad school and have literally no money. And more to the point, there is an unannounced $230 18+ Nintendo set coming out later this year that I will absolutely have to get, sight unseen because Lego and Nintendo were each definitely my jam, so I really have no choice but to buy that set. Any Lego money I might able to scrounge up goes to that set, so this one, cool as it is, will have to be appreciated from afar. I'm jealous of those that get to play with it, though.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I watched the Transformers movie so much as a kid that I memorized every single line and can recite it by memory to this day.

Coupled with the fact that I used to watch it while playing with LEGOS means this set was made for me.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I watched the Transformers movie so much as a kid that I memorized every single line and can recite it by memory to this day.

Coupled with the fact that I used to watch it while playing with LEGOS means this set was made for me.

That's exactly how I felt about the ? Block. I was planning on getting the Tumbler as my one big Lego purchase last year, and that plan when into the dumpster the second I saw the ? Block. It felt like Lego was personally and unfairly targeting me. Takemymoney.jpg

I'm glad you're getting the Lego set made for you!

Ba Weep Grana Weep Ninibong!

Was it? I mean, Optimus was barely in that movie... >:)

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

I'm waiting for the MOC that has all the battle damage from the final fight with Megatron

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

I'm waiting for the MOC that has all the battle damage from the final fight with Megatron

What, like all monochrome?

This discussion has been closed.