As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 60- Offshore/Abbott of the Eternal

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    ((OOC: I don't know if it matters, but he'll do a Trip Attack on that shot, STR save versus 15 or be knocked prone ))

Geth, roll 1d10 for Extra Damage

Extra Damage:
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    It all happens too fast. Urixes is used to being the ghost in the room, but the haunter has become the haunted. He freezes in his chair, a hundred memories flashing through him as some deep-seated fear takes hold.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Someone unseen cries out in the corner of the Captain’s Quarters! The voice sounds elderly, masculine…shocked! Small splatters of blood suddenly paint the bookcase, and something you can’t lay eyes on is rolling around on the carpet. Captain Arabella, having quietly sneaked out a ready length of rope from within her desk, leaps in an attempt to tie the invisible invader, roaring as she lands! She seems to miss with the first attempt, and the unseen invader kicks her in the side of the head, splaying her out nearby! The presence seems to pitter-patter across the floor, until Lucky Jack’s shot trips them to the ground at Oak’s feet! More blood finds it way dotted across the carpet of the Captain’s Office, and onto Oak’s pant legs…

Oak finds the unseen thing nearly in his lap, squirming, biting, punching! Though he attempts to snake the invisible presence into a bear-hold, it still kicks-and-kicks at him eventually managing to wriggle away…
    Oak, take 1d4 bludgeoning damage!

Geth roll 1d4 bludgeoning

Urixes finds himself strangely paralyzed in his chair this whole time, the Tiefling on the verge of a veritable panic attack as a strange remembrance threatens to overwhelm him! It’s with a slow, concentrated effort that the Warlock is able to pull himself to his feet, and turn to his friends as the invisible enemy digs itself away from the Barbarian Oak, and sounds as if it heads to the door…

Your unseen foe, whispering under their breath, says something in a bemused and bittersweet, unfamiliar tone,
    Urixes, Perception please…that little sad, whispered exclamation was in Infernal

And immediately afterwards, a barrage of lightning erupts from inside the Captain’s door, just as the unseen entity bashes through it in an attempt to emerge onto the deck of the Ship…
    Everyone: Roll Dex Saves vs. Lightning Bolt (DC -14). Half damage on a success. Jack gets Advantage on this Save, from being the one Wild Bunch member to really have the jump on this thing! The Lightning Bolt in the Captain’s Office will likely ignite the nearby wood, planks, books, based on this d6…

Geth roll 8d6 lightning damage
    Geth roll 1d6 Captain’s Quarters

In addition, everyone may make a Perception Check in an attempt to get a view of the invisible caster, lighted/reflected as he is by the light of his own magical bolts…

Afterwards, the Unseen Presence will attempt to bash his way out the door past Meepo, in an attempt to disappear somewhere within the hidden corners of the Ship…

Geth roll 1d20 Strength Challenge (Not-Valtari)
    Geth roll 1d20+1 Disadvantaged Strength Challenge (Meepo)

• Options
    Geth roll 1d4 bludgeoning damage- Unseen Prescence (Oak)

Geth roll 8d6 lightning damage- (Everyone)

Geth roll 1d6 Captain's Quarters (Flammability)

Geth roll 1d20 Strength Challenge (Not-Valtari)

bludgeoning damage- Unseen Prescence (Oak):
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    lightning damage- (Everyone):
    8d6 37 [8d6=3, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 2, 6]
    Captain's Quarters (Flammability):
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    Strength Challenge (Not-Valtari):
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]
    Disadvantaged Strength Challenge (Meepo):
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]

• Options

Disadvantaged Strength Challenge (Meepo):
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

• Options
    ((OOC: Wow, don't mess with Meepo! ))

Geth, roll 2d20k1+4 for Dex Save
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception

Dex Save:
    2d20k1+4 16 [2d20k1=[12], 10]
    Perception:
    1d20+4 15 [1d20=11]

• Options
    OAK
    The Barbarian is laid out by the electrical blast filling the room, finding himself tossed into a corner and bashed against the bookshelves. He comes to only seconds afterwards, finding himself in a room already being set ablaze!

Oak’s eyes and head clear slowly. From upon the floor, he sees the table with the Mirror is beginning to catch fire at the base. The Captain, having taken the full blunt force of the lightning blast, is now unconscious in the opposite corner of the room. Papers and Folders, stuffed randomly in the desk and among the shelves, begin to cinder and smolder, and smoke begins to fill the air…
    Oak, you come to on the floor of the Captain’s Office. This place will alight soon, depending on the actions of your friends, and the wind which currently gusts through the open doors. From your prone and dazed position, you are left with three options: save the Captain, save the Mirror, or save Important Looking Documents. You may attempt one or all of these, but your success will depend on a Dex Check, and the actions of your companions here!

JACK
    Lucky Jack keeps his feet, looking about curiously and hugging Fusspot close to his neck as the brilliant blue energy shoots in tendrils about the room! For only a moment, an acute weakness and tingling sensation comes into his ankles and knees, as the charge dissipates across the room. But! The Shifter remains standing, finding himself for a few seconds strangely enjoying the sensation…

In the doorway, Meepo and the invisible entity continue their tussle. Within a strange, singular moment Jack, seeing the reflection of the fight play out along the Mirror’s surface upon the desk, manages to get one really good look at sight within the glass:
    The invisible entity appears to be an impossibly old man: half his teeth missing, robed in rags, gnarled and dirty, looking crazed and emaciated. With a snarl, he grasps the Kobold’s arm like a chicken leg, bends it back, and bites into it!

Meepo let’s out a shriek and lets go of the cloaked thing…but in turn his opposite hand is jerked suddenly, roughly backwards, and the yell of someone else altogether joins the chorus of shouts…

Meepo slides his way up the door frame to his feet, hugging his bitten arm a bit. He looks upon the sight before him in a panic, taking in Oak and the Captain smashed against the corners of the Office, and the quickly growing fire. Finding Jack and Urixes among the mess, he gasps out, “Meester Jack! Meester Urixes! Whatever it is, it’s loose! What do ye’ want we should do?” The Kobold, as he says this, pulls up his uninjured arm and examines something completely new within it with curiosity: a fistful of long, wispy gray hair, connected at one end to a meaty-looking lump of skin and bloody tissue…
    Jack, the choice before you: do you Rally with Meepo the Kobold (and possibly Urixes, should he so choose) to raise the alarm on board the Curse first, and start tracking down the Strange Old Man you had seen within the mirror who seems to have now escaped further into the Ship? Or do you stay here, and help the knocked-down Oak with the increasingly flammable situation in the Captain’s Office? (A Persuasion Check or an Advantaged Investigation, respectively please!; Or, if you stay to help with the fire, a Dex Check, please!)

URIXES
    The hidden presence mumbles something in a guttural and masculine tone, with enough lisping spite to be heard aloud but barely. Only Urixes catches the words-on-the-wind, disgusted and judgmental:
    ”…Ye’ haunt me yet, Old Boy…”

Urixes has felt this spell before! This…particular..spell. There’s a personal measure to magic, and at this moment the Warlock remembers it like an old, familiar scent. The last time he had felt its presence was a quarter decade ago, and as the blue-arcs spark and light around his toes and torso and the Lord of the Deep is tossed about the cabin, the Tiefling is hit with a sudden bout of crystal-clear remembrance:
    …At the very doors to Sess’innek Inner Sanctum, within the strange puzzle at the center of “The Teeth”, was the last time you felt this brand of “Lightning Bolt”, out of this source…when the Wizard among your previous companionship suddenly turned into a different person entirely, and took up the cause of the Little Witch, betraying your group and dooming the expedition to failure…
    Urixes, do you choose to pursue the Hidden Presence, (who you recognize as the Traitor from the Old Boy days) as he escapes into the Ship?p…Or do you stay within the Captain’s Quarters, to save what and who you can from the assault/fire, helping to preserve your Captain and her books/charts? Let me know how you’d like to proceed, and give me a relevant roll please!

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak climbs to his feet in a daze. Whether it was from the explosion, or the now growing fire, he wasn't sure, but instinct took over. He bounded over to the Captain, hefting her over his shoulder. Priority one was to save her. Turning towards the door, he had taken a few steps when he remembers the mirror. Given their invisible assailant, something that can help them see is a good idea. Priority two, grab that mirror.

It was somewhere in the middle of that where Urixes stepped up and did what he did best, make the smarter play and was putting out the fire with magic. Once Oak again was grateful for his presence, and he was able to carry the captain and the mirror out of the room into the fresh air. Placing her down gently, Calthus and Calvin come to take over the care. The Shifter stands and takes a deep breath, relishing the feel of the sea breeze, when Natali catches his attention and tells them that Jack and Meepo need help.

Rushing down, mirror raised, Oak runs to find his friends.

• Options
    Jack looks momentarily stuck in decision paralysis, then reaches a conclusion as he yells out to the dragonman to alert the crew. By the time some of them rush inside he's muttering to the little griffon, manipulating the abacus and tying a torn strand of hair around his foot, "Fly, Mister Fusspot, find our guest!"

One last glance around to make sure the situation here is being taken care of, he dashes outside, bumping into the returning Meepo with news of strange goings on on the Orlop Deck. "Meepo, with me!"

They find Natali Grave-Digger, along with a hurt and loudly complaining Mister Fusspot indicating a dark corner and the sounds of something moving about. His senses aren't all they could be in this form, but his nose is still good enough to spot their 'guest'. Jack charges blindly when a set of chains is bumped and tackles something quite skinny and quite feral.

When Oak and Urixes arrive he's wrestle-wrapped around... someone. They might not be visible, but they're most odorous. "Little help guys?"

• Options
    Urixes counts his blessings that Jack and Oak are already springing into action, doing exactly what he hoped they would do. With Jack in pursuit and Oak helping the captain, he could focus on the flames. Frost springs into existence, crawling over every surface not already on fire, before erupting into a glittering cloud of rain that dances through the office and extinguishes the fire. With yet another ship fire averted, Urixes lets the magic vanish and turns to follow after Oak.

Below deck, Urixes walks in just behind Oak, having locked the door before turning to take in the scene with a deep frown. "I remember you, traitor," he says to the invisible man, "Do you have anything you want to say before you die?"

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Meepo, hesitating for a moment to enter the fray as he rubs his bitten muscle, finally SNARLS and jumps in to assist Jack, taking a few scratches before finding the unseen thing’s other arm and leg, pinning them tightly as the Kobold is able as the man thrashes beneath him!

Once Oak arrives, the Mirror already held aloft and Urixes just behind him, the thrashing immediately stops. The invisible man, panting between Jack and Meepo, suddenly views himself in the Mirror, as do the Wild Bunch:

kmcjrao2kxhn.png

With a sigh of strange relief (almost like a prisoner on the lam, finally captured and able to now rest), the Old Man sinks back into Jack and Meepo’s arms, happily defeated. As he takes in his own reflection, flesh begins to flow out from nothingness, and the young Shifter and the Kobold soon find themselves holding the genuine article within their hands: a robed, ancient, filthy old man, who seems to be half feral and half deranged. As he notices the life flowing back into himself, he sneaks a peek up at Urixes, makes careful eye contact…and gives a playful, apologetic smile, the grin pulling back to his ears and showing every single tooth in his head, missing or otherwise…

Urixes! It’s me! Your old pal, Iqium!” the Old Man rasps in a neighborly manner, immediately breaking into a series of rough coughs afterwards, his raw throat unused to forming words. It takes nearly a minute for him to finish the horking sound, as he convulses within the grasp of Jack and Meepo.

Denada wrote:
    Below deck, Urixes walks in just behind Oak, having locked the door before turning to take in the scene with a deep frown. "I remember you, traitor," he says to the invisible man, "Do you have anything you want to say before you die?"

The Sorcerer considers the Tiefling’s words bemused, like he’s been asked a quiz question rather than promised death. He seems to be less than surprised at the threat, and is choosing his next words with an off-putting whimsical care. “Uh-huh,” the Old Man rasps too-understandingly. “Now listen, Old Boy, I knew this was gonna come up…you know how I always could see a bit into the future? (laughs)…and I just gotta say, in my opinion? It’s a bad call, old friend…no offense!”

Iqium implores the Warlock, “Look, I know you’re still mad about that whole…thing…back there in “The Teeth”? Thing is…the one who turned on you all?” Here Iqium turns to everyone in the room, giving them his most whimpering, imploring look. “I swear to the Gods, that weren’t me! The Witch! She found a way to snare me…trap me within a reflection! I had to watch, as everyone…as you all…” He shakes his head sadly at Urixes, sighing at the memory. “Broke my heart to watch, it did!”

The Sorcerer turns back to the room, eyes now darting about wildly. “So you see now? You understand, right? Why I had to sneak back however I could find the chance? It wasn’t trying to hurt anyone…” Here Iqium begins to giggle, madly, unable to stop himself. “Heh! I just wanna help! Heh! To find my way back! Ehehehahahah…” Iquim, uncontrollably laughing, turns about the room, glancing briefly at each of you in turn:

URIXES hears a voice within his head:
    ”Our cause is the same, once more, do you not see it? I was split in two…like you. I wish to return to my other…like you. Will you damn me, for the choice you made as well? Or can you find it in your heart to forgive me, and join or strengths together?”

OAK hears a voice within his head:
    ”There is a dark sign now upon you, that has grown since Villam. A burden you took on…for Urixes?… You will need to find a way out from under it soon, lest’ you trust a Devil’s Bargain. The Demon returns, and will soon want her due. I can help you, to find a way out of your predicament…”

JACK hears a voice within his head:
    ”Your blade has been talking, hasn’t it? And you’ve felt the Beast rise at the same time, haven’t you? It will become worse…the sword was polluted to ensnare one such as you, and soon enough it will turn on you. But I can help…”

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Looking down, Oak almost feels pity as the old man materializes. He looks so frail and almost helpless. His rambling concerns Oak a little bit, just because he speaks like a madness has taken him over.

But then the voice speaks in his head. Oak's face turns feral in an instant, his features shifting instantly to the more beast-like nature that resides within him. He growls down at Iqium. "Ya' stay outta' my head, or I will end ya' here."

He looks over to Urixes. "Yer call on him. Ya' seem to know him the most."

• Options
    "You'll damn yourself!" Iqium protests to Oak without missing a beat, squirming mightily within Jack's grip. "Worse, you'll damn this Ship! Every man on it! She'll be here soon, if she isn't already, Oak! It's yet not too late, but if you throw this opportunity away!..."

• Options
    Jack watches with wide eyes as the smelly thing in his grasp flows into being. Well, the smell matches the look at least. He meets the man's eyes when he turns to look at him, frowning deeply at the voice in his head, "Hag magic!" He headbutts the old man with a hollow *thunk*.

Jack looks at Urixes, "Am I good to let him go? Only I think Mister Fusspot got hurt..." He glares at the old man, clearly considering another headbutt, "...and I want to check on him."

• Options
    Jack's chin connects like a heavy fist upon the wizened Old Man's skull, and the interloper's head sinks down into his chest, neck twitching from pain. "Just...trying...to help..." Iqium grunts to the Shifter with deep indignation from his injured and held position. "Don't need...to get...so feral about it..."

"Yes...yes! Let me go, Wild-Kind! Please." The shrunken sorcerer immediately sits up and implores at Jack's offer, eyes frantic. "The bird..." he starts, almost immediately seeming to realize his explanation lacks substance. "...It...stabbed my ribs! I thought it was one of you, attacking in the dark, and I simply lashed out to defend myself!"

"...I didn't aim to deceive! I didn't mean to hurt anyone!" Iqium cries out to the room with a long whine. The Old Man repeats, "You don't understand...I just wanted to help!"

Then, as if meant to be spoken to himself, he mutters an angry, spitting aside of, "An' if my blood stains this place, you will all live to fucking regret it..."

From where he straddles the man on the floor, Meepo carries a look of growing concern. He whispers to the Barbarian, as the Sorcerer rants, "Errr, Meester Oak? What'd he mean, there? Bout' "damning the Ship"?..."

• Options
    "He 'as done a fine job of damnin' the ship already there Meepo. Sneakin' about and leadin' the Captain astray. Seems like he's just tryin' to keep himself alive." Oak replies. He doesn't move, however, even in his anger. Iqium had hit a note there. She's coming.

Oak had known that eventually his deal would come back to him. What that entailed he didn't know for sure, but he knew it wasn't good. He had half a mind to toss Iqium overboard right now, before he tried something that made things worse, but the thought of Oak's own personal weight impacting the rest of the ship kept him in check. What if he did need help? What if Iqium could actually find a way out? Could he damn the entire ship by wanting to stubbornly toss the man overboard?

• Options
    Jack hmms, keeping a tight watch on his prey, "I think he's mostly tellin' the truth... wouldn't trust 'im not to hurt anyone 's far as Meepo can throw 'im, though." He looks up at Oak and Urixes, "I think we should let 'im live. At least until the Captain's had her say."

• Options
    "Captain...the Captain!," Iqium replies happily, somehow momentarily having forgotten his previous insidious impersonation. "That's right! I saw Arabella's partner the Tiefling descend the stairway into the lake and the halls of glass upon Villam, and past her reflection I beheld the bones of a thousand lifetimes, cemented into the shape of that Ship!...That's when I knew: I had found the Old Boy again, the Undying and his new craft, built of the remnants from the Sanguine Seeker, the bones of the Lost, and the Heart of the Deep!..." He looks about joyously at the others, his bizarre look welcoming them all to join in his good fortune. From Jack's blow, a slow trickle of blood snakes down his forehead, falling into his unblinking eye and dripping down onto his chin, although he seems not to notice...

• Options
    Urixes raises his weapon, eldritch energy already swirling around it. "No Jack, not this time. I'm sorry."

He turns his darkening eyes to Iqium. "You already killed me once, and I lived to regret that. I won't regret this." With that, Urixes attacks.

• Options
    IGNOBLE ”DEATH” OF IQIUM THE SORCEROR
    The wizened old crone’s eyes lit from the reflection of the staff for but a single instant. “URIXES” the sorcerer had time to call out, before the Tiefling blasted a streaking eldritch beam into his chest. Jack and Meepo held the imposter steady between themselves, rocking bodily against the hull of the Ship as the Warlock unleashes his full force upon his former comrade’s brittle form!

The Wild Bunch watched as the man’s eyes grotesquely went wide, frantic, and his head finally slumped down towards his smoking chest. There is a moment of silence, as the group felt the life leave Iqium. Suddenly, with a sickeningly shudder, the body began to convulse, shaking like a leaf against Jack and Meepo. Within mere moments, the thing that was once Iqium slowly dissolved from its physical shell into a tarry, shadowy black substance, which seeps out like molasses and escapes the grasping hold of the pair, pooling at their feet upon the deck. As the group looked on in revulsion, Iqium’s shadow crawled forward towards Oak, seeking out spaces in the floorboard below, pushing through, forcing itself with loud squelching noises. Within ten seconds, it was done; the thing was gone.

Meepo, still in a heap upon the floor, made the sign of the moon, and prayed to his White Dragon. Jack, after regaining his footing, quickly found Mister Fusspot, trembling but none the worse for wear. Urixes lowered his staff, grimacing angrily at the spot where the shadow had vanished. Oak, in a strange moment of deja vu, suddenly remembered the thing that had been Governor Mitchum, as it was slowly crushed beneath the weight of the crumbling Maw…

Shortly afterwards, the Captain had arrived, rushing down the stairs with Calthus and Killian close behind, each a sword drawn. They find the Wild Bunch still standing in shock over the departing shadow. The situation is quickly explained, and Captain Arabella looks…torn. “I’da probably done the same fucking thing,” she remarks plainly. “But not gonna lie, I wish ya’d waited just another minute to do it!” She laughs ruefully, and sits down upon the stairs, angrily taking out and lighting a pipe. She blows a wreathe of smoke into the air and looks around at the assembled crew. “Well then,” The Captain says. “’Spose you’ll all be wanting that explanation, then?”

CONFESSIONS OF THE CAPTAIN
    ”…Valtari was me best friend. Me companion. Saved each other’s asses countless times, went in on this Ship together. Without her, there wouldn’t be no Whispered Curse….no Twilight voyage…(laughs bitterly) No Captain Arabella Stellanova!”

“When she disappeared out here, a bit o’ something broke in me. I always thought I were a hardass, but this loss, went through me like a blade. I lost it a bit, went a bit off the handle. Became obsessed wit’ finding a way to get her back.”

“So you can imagine when I thought I’d found her again…thought she’d come back…well, I’m not gonna say I wasn’t suspicious at first. I knew it might’a been a trap. But if there was a chance…a chance…I had to try. Started burying myself in reading on magical lore. Anything wit’ reflections. Cut meself off from the crew, cause knew she were wit’ me, even when I couldn’t see her. Started drinking heavy, cause I knew I was betraying someone, but weren’t sure who.”

Captain Arabella takes a long drag on the pipe; exhales sadly before proceeding. “I’m sorry. I were wrong. I put meself ahead of the crew and let you all down.”

A few moments of silence. Then Killian grumbles. “’Ppreciate dar’ honesty. All’s forgiven, long as you don’t let it happen again.”

Captain Arabella sighs sadly. “I’m afraid that’s what I’m saying, Killian. I’m not gonna stop looking fer her. An’ I’m afraid, if it fucking comes down to it again, I might make another decision that compromises the crew. That’s why I’m telling you all as a contingency: there may come a point where my ability to make objective-fucking decisions get compromised. If and when that time comes,” She looks around the room, making eye contact with Urixes and Calthus, “I need my 1st and 2nd Mates ready and waiting in the wings! You get me?”

Calthus looks over at Urixes in dismay. “But Cap’…we’ve talked about this! I’m looking to retire with this job…you know I got no long-term interest in trying to wrangle these hooligans!”

Captain Arabella smiles bitter-sweetly over towards Urixes. “I’m very aware, Mister Zurkul. That’s why I’m sure you’ll be taking a keen interest in training up your replacement!” Calthus crosses his arms grumbling…

The next five days pass rather uneventfully. The Wild Bunch is given leave after their recent trials to relax and rest as their voyage draws them closer towards the Abbot, and the recovery of the Queen of Chaff.

On the second day, the hatches are battened down as the Ship crosses through one of the Expanse’s magical palings. The winds howl and lightning arcs outside the port holes, but the strength of the enchantment upon the Ship’s Lodestone holds fast.

On the third day, Jack finds his Red Skull sword refusing to withdraw from his scabbard: it takes him a good hour of pulling to finally withdraw the thing, and when he attempts to roust it he finds the blade unresponsive, as though sulking. Or perhaps, as though it had never had voice in the first place…?

The fourth day, Captain Arabella calls Urixes into her office and shares with him the secret of the Ship’s Lodestone: that deep within the calcified bit of magical stone, at it’s very center, pulses a quick and constant lump of flesh, which beats impossibly…

And on the morning of the fifth day, Mister Oak, as he rises and sups his coffee, sights land upon the horizon

ARRIVAL AT THE ABBOTT OF THE ETERNAL
    nc0z138ex2or.jpg

The Captain calls Calthus and the Wild Bunch up to the Ship’s Wheel as the strange shaped island draws within range, roughly a mile out. “Never been, meself,” she says, warily regarding the place. “But from everything I’ve heard, its supposed to be some sort of wellness paradise!”

“Hrrmph,” Calthus remarks, withdrawing an eyeglass. “Looks like there’s only the two approaches…up those lines to that little village from the east, or further the west past those treacherous looking rocks, coming in just below the Abbott. Not exactly a welcome wagon, either…looks like you could dock a Ship this size, but jest barely! An can’t see any people out this time o’ morning…”

The Captain nods at Calthus, and then turns to the Wild Bunch. “Well, people….whadya think?”

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Oak squints his eyes a little at the approaching island, picking out the various landmarks without the need for an eyeglass like Calthus has.

"Village looks ta' be the safer route, compared to the Boathouse on the west. Though..." he pauses frowning slightly, "Looks completely empty. And we'd have ta' go through a forest fer the rest of the island."

He stares a bit longer before adding, "If we can land it, boathouse is the better path to the Abbey. Goin' ta' need some good sailin' though."

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Jack eyes the weird landmass skeptically, "This is just an island, yea? Not some living thing with grass growin' on it? 'Cause we've already had an island try to eat us once."

He looks from one end to the other, "Which side looks less like a mouth?"

• Options
    From within the great bit of shade created by Oak, Meepo the Kobold shuffles awkwardly. “Big problem wit’ da village route would be trying to hup that big-feckin’ chest wit’ the Queen in it up and about, assuming we’re gettin’ her to the Abbott.” the little lizard finally pipes in. “Lessen’ we could find a wagon, er’ a pack animal somewhere. Course, if we jest leave her aboard Ship we could go take a look en’ find our way about ferst. Leave a Sending Stone wit’ the Cap, holler when we find out the deal o’ this place?”

Calthus scratches his neck frill and considers. “Certainly need ter’ do reconnaissance fore we all decide we’re here on some sorta holiday. An these three are the best at this sorta wet work we have at this point.” As Jack worries aloud about the strange shape of the island, Calthus (whistling through his nose with shrill concern) begins to nod effusively. Siddling up next to Young Jack, the Dragonborn steps behind him and draws the spyglass over his right eye, pointing with his other hand towards western end of the island. “Oh, 100%, boyo! Ye’ see that bulgy shaped hill, resting jest above the Abbott? Those odd ridges either end? I’d bet me blade that used to be something massive’s skull!”

Captain Arabella bristles, clearly irritated with Calthus for goading Jack’s concern. “Alright then, let’s not jump to conclusions er’ scaring the men! It coulda just…formed like that.”

Calthus begins to scoff, but catches himself before disrespecting the Captain. He coughs apologetically. “Due respect ma’am, but after Villam…” He trails off, leaving the tale unspoken.

Meepo glance around, perturbed at the sudden tone of the conversation. “Err, this sumfin ya’ folks deal wit’ often? Living isles?”

Calthus, with a curious cock of his head, turns deferentially towards Captain Arabella. The Captain, after a beat, smiles wryly and shakes her head in exasperation at her 1st Mate. “It’s the Twilight Expanse, people! Not…the Pleasant-Ocean-of-Fuckin’-Happy-Good-Fun-Times! Sometimes its gonna be a sentient fungus…sometimes its floating five hundred yard above the ocean…sometimes its just a portal an’ some rocks juttin’ out from the elemental plane of fire….and yes, sometimes it’s a living isle! C’mon! We roll with the punches, people!”

Rolling his eyes and snorting resignedly, Calthus Zurkul turns to Urixes the 2nd Mate. “An’ you, Master Warlock? What do you think of all this? Shall we try to guide the Ship straight up to the Abbott, or try ta’ get a look around the island’s tail end ferst?”

• Options
    Urixes stares into the middle distance, seeing the island even though he isn't really looking at it. "Hmm?" he says, pulled from his contemplation by Calthus' question. "Oh ... well, the village is destitute. I doubt we'd find what we need there. I vote we start at the Abbott. But," his gaze trails ominously to the ship's lodestone, "I have a bad feeling about this."

• Options
    Jack nods enthusiastically at the dragonborn beside him, "Right, RIGHT?!" He crosses his arms and mutters, "Well, being' alive didn't help Villam, bet we can take this one, too."

His head turns from one of his friends to the other, "Which way den?"

• Options
    "Landing near the Abbott seems ta' be best if we want to deal with tha' Queen first." Oak says. "Then we can sort out the rest."

• Options
    Captain Arabella nods. “Right, the Abbott it is! We’ll approach close as we can by Ship, then drop you four in a Longboat to go ahead and make sure the Boathouse is secure before we tie up. Don’t want to deliver us all directly on a plate, then, do we?”

Calthus clears his throat, and steps up beside the Captain, looking like the cat who swallowed the canary. “Ye’, uhhh, wanted me to remind you, Captain!”

Captain Ari cringes a bit. “Ah yes…that.” The Captain walks over to Jack , and places a tender hand on his shoulder. “So, Young Jack…how’d ye’ feel about watching Derbin guide us in, start learning how ta’ pilot this baby?”

From down at the Wheel, Derbin turns his head like a whipped owl. “Beggin’ yer pardon, Captain?”

Arabella shrugs dismissively. “Ye’ told me ya need a new replacement trainee, now that Arno’s no longer with us. The boy’s up here half the time anyway, and everyone’s relieved when he’s not holding a hammer! Plus, Jack did a helluva job gettin’ this group down the river at Villam!”

“Gee…I dunno, Cap’n…” Derbin the dwarf replies nervously, looking around at the rest of the crew. “The crew’s over Jack as an ill-omen, but if any of em’ see he’s up learning at the Wheel…!”

“Well, don’t let them see it, then!” The Captain snaps tersely. “That’s an order, Mister Derbin!”

Derbin Brightbeard turns to the nearby Weatherworker Refi (who shrugs, as if to say “what can you do”, then looks over sheepishly at Jack. “Well…c’mon then!” He waves Jack over. “But, errrr, do me a solid and duck down, so the fellas don’t see you…!”

• Options
    Jack's attention is still on the island when he hears his name from the captain. As she speaks his face transitions into sheer excitement, the youth practically vibrating in place, "I get to pilot the Curse??" He's excited enough to dislodge Mister Fusspot off his shoulder who flits off with a disgruntled chirp to find a steadier perch.

He answers Derbin with a broad grin and scoots closer, hunching down to make himself smaller. It doesn't last long, he's far too energised to focus on his posture however he's not all that tall to begin with. After getting rejected asking to take the wheel (twice) he finally settles enough to pay attention.

Finally those balloon piloting skills will come in handy!

• Options
    At first Derbin is carefully feeding Jack terms like “Port” or “Starboard” as one would a small child fresh at-sea, but it quickly becomes apparent that Young Jack knows all of the basics of the Ship, the Sea, and Sailing. The dwarf and gnome begin to stare at other with a growing surprise. Derbin, ramping up the lesson (to challenge the student or see him fail, it can’t be sure), begins to press the young Shifter: finding the horizon in a full storm, at night? Properly determining if your rudder alignment is straight out at open sea? Strategic dropping and raising of the sails, in order to generate bursts during a time of little winds?

Savantlike, Jack answers each question with a detailed, thoughtful answer, counting them off on his fingers as he goes. Sat cross legged behind the wheel, Jack finishes and looks over to Refi and Derbin for approval, but as he does so takes notice of something: an underwater outcropping of the unnatural rocks, almost unnoticeable in the dim light cast from the island’s crest far above. Yelping, Jack leaps forward and grabs the other side of the Wheel from Derbin, yanking the craft to the starboard side and narrowing avoiding scraping the Hull along the treacherous spiny growths.

Derbin, withdrawing a kerchief from his back pocket and wiping his head from sweat, whistles with sincere wonder. “…dear lords, Master Jack…ye’ pulled us offa them rocks! I didn’t even see them!” Whooping and throwing his hat to the deck like a prospector who has found gold, a stern look from Refi makes Derbin find himself, and he clears his throat, looking around to make sure he hasn’t drawn the crews attention. Lowering his voice, he remarks. “…I think ye got it, lad! The “Sway”, like Arno had!” Patting the young Shifter upon the back, Derbin slowly takes his hands from the Wheel, leaving it solely in Jack’s hands. “Alright then,me boy!,” the dwarf says, a newfound respect in his tone. “How’about you pull us up about fifty foot short o’ the Boathouse, broadside it so we coast in…should be enough space to sit comfortable for awhile…”

• Options
    At roughly fifty feet out, the Wild Bunch drops in by Longboat, wary but ready as ever. Jack and Urixes take to the oars, while Oak, eyes darting and ears intent, quietly shows Meepo of the dangers in the ocean. There: a few jagged peaks of the spiny rock, sitting just below the water and right in the Longboats path. There: a nest of some sort of giant water beetles, noticeable by their spiderlike kelp homes and the strange, spiky whiskers all along their bodies. Certainly poisonous. There: hidden lowland, places where the Longboat could be easily grounded and stranded in this place, if not careful.

As Oak walks the Kobold through the dangerous ways of the sea, the little lizard says nothing at all, his rapt attention on the Shifter’s lecture.

Throughout the lesson, Oak keeps one bit of bad news to himself:
    There’s something slightly corrosive in the waters around here, likely creating the strange, spiky rock formations. It’s beginning to eat the Longboat…

As the quartet find their way to the overhang and the Boathouse far overhead, they come upon a sudden sea of ropes, cables, and lines, all dangling down from the structure above. As the Longboat pulls in, a shadowy figure watches down from some sort of open hatch within the building, fifty feet above your heads. When it sees your eyes fall upon them, it scurries back further into the shadows, but you can all still hear it breathing from somewhere at the back of the wall…

• Options
    @Denada

Despite it's clear hesitation at engaging strangers, the figure in the shadows now scuttles closer to the light, peering over the edge of the hatch and looking down on the four of you below.

ijll2lcy78lq.png

"Yiss?" The man asks wetly, a sound like gargling at the back of the throat. "What izzit ye' want? Abbott's bin closed down furm visitors..." Though not the most charming person you've all met out here, the strange man doesn't seem unpleasant. He dangles a pair of oddly bent legs over the edge of the Boathouse, peering down below as it awaits your answer

• Options
    "We're not exactly visitors," Urixes calls up. "We're here on business, sort of. Can we get a lift up? Preferably quickly?"

• Options
    Jack adjusts his posture to try and look business-like. The best description of his success would be "a kid trying to look old enough to buy liquor".

• Options
    The fish person considers, swinging his legs back and forth like a restless child. Finally, he pulls himself up with gray, scaly arms and a loud, curious *Hrrmph*. “Will. Al’right,” he says, and promptly disappears from sight. The sound of feet scampering echoes throughout the building and booms down below to the Wild Bunch sitting in their Longboat. There is silence for a couple of minutes and you begin to wonder if the man has abandoned you, when the sound of a whirring crank and the movement of metals overhead draws the group’s attention. From an assembly far above, a chain is pulled drape-like over the hatch. A long bed of chains locking into place with a loud *BOOM*, the crank noise is now replaced by a relentless ratcheting sound, and the chain (built as a sort of cage) begins to lower, eventually settling in just around the Longboat, resting atop the waters before very slowly beginning to sink…

The fish person returns to the edge of the hatch, peering down onto the Wild Bunch below and cupping his hands around his mouth so as to better be heard. “Dere’s two chains either end near the center there ye’ ken unhook. Carefully unclamp em’…don’t stick em’ near the cable or yer sword, there’s a strong magnet built into the end! Drop em in and let em’ drift under yer’ craft. Once they’ve drifted under, yank thurr chain and it’ll catch into the cable on thurr other side…then I can lift ye’ all out o’ the muck” The man, croaking with concern, adds, ”Take care!…drink around the Abbott is slow poison to yer’ kin!

After the chains have been secured, the fish man disappears from sight again, and the crank begins to whir to life once more as the mechanism quickly and safely extracts the Longboat and it’s crew from the water, lifting them up into the Boathouse. Once they have been pulled fully through, they find themselves in a spacious, mostly empty warehouse that reeks of fish and mold. The mechanisms overhead are clearly places to “hang” Ships from, safely out of the water. It’s probably large enough in here for more than three Whispered Curses to be stacked next to each other, side to side. As you take in the area, the fish man patters over to the edge of the Hatch, looking at you all with a keen curiosity (and a strange lack of fear, considering there’s four of you and he seems to be alone). Approaching the group cautiously but firmly, he steps up…and sniffs each of you, one at a time, darting in once to press his nostrils to your chest before quickly retreating back to the planks of the Boathouse.

The fish person has a brilliant gold medallion upon his chest, but is otherwise clad in simple, loose fabrics, well worn. He is an uncanny, almost exact combination of man and fish, and carries himself like a proud Lord. Once finished sniffing the quartet, he addresses the Wild Bunch. “Aye. Not visitors!” The fish person says, nodding with understanding. He approaches each of you in turn, his voice wet with sympathy. “Mouth rot.” The fish man tells Meepo. “Hungers-most-foul.” He informs Jack. “Demon-branded.” He laments to Oak. To the Tiefling…he seems to offer little more than a wary eye. “…this place offers little balm fer what you suffer. Nothing that can taken into the skin…no baths o’ cleansing er’ submersion” The fish man crosses his arms, grunting. “Immortals tend to shun the Abbott…” As he awaits your response, Meepo, (when he thinks no one is looking), breathes into his hand, looking forlorn…

• Options
    Jack tilts his head curiously at the fishman, then when it's his turn mirrors the lean and takes a whiff of the other himself. Ooooh, fishy. "You ain't wrong, I am feeling quite peckish. Got any nice eateries 'round here?"

Geth, roll 1d20 for Persuasion

He murmurs to Meepo from the side of his mouth, "Don't worry, I got this minty tincture from a fancy place back in town, works wonders."

Persuasion:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

• Options
    Gil's eyebrow furrows into a single, dangerous line. He snorts, clearly becoming agitated. "No," he responds flatly to Young Jack. "An zee inhabitants are not. For. Your consumption! " He glances around the group, looking at each with a now keen and wary eye. "Let it be said...those of za Abbott are not fools, easily taken. We chain Untamed Were-kinds looking for easy mischief among innocents. We muzzle Cannibals looking fer' a timid meal among those touched by the Dark-Light!" Croaking, Gil draws himself up to as tall as possible, glaring now at Oak and Urixes.

• Options
    Oak looks at Gil without expression. His eyes glance at Meepo briefly to see if anything sparks from the smaller man, before returning back to Gil.

"We're not here for ourselves. We've other healing that needs done and we're not sure how much time we have left before it's too late."

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Intimidation

Intimidation:
    1d20+4 16 [1d20=12]

• Options
    Arms crossed and still frowning with open hostility over at Young Jack, Gil looks now intrigued, if still remaining reticent around the group. ""Other" healing? Something bit more... immediately fatal, then?" He places his hands over his eyes to shade out the sun, looking out broken windows down east towards the Curse.."Ahhhh, yiss... someones en' yer' Shep? Who you really here for? Well." Gil's eyes dart, from down on the Curse, over at the Wild Bunch, and then up and around towards the Abbott. "Tis' a place of healing, after all. Confessor wouldn't want ter' turn away wanting souls..."

"Like ziss," proposes the fish man, pressing his hands together with determined purpose. "Send hungry friend here back in boat to Shep. He ken bring over za sick; wounded. I stay here, keep eyes. Demonbrand and Little Lick ken head over to za Abbott...inform za High Priestess of your injured companions. You shall have no need of guide."

Gil's eyes look over between Oak and Urixes, blinking rapidly. "We ken help your injured." He says quietly, but firmly finishes with, "But za Abbott will not be threatened!" The fish man pauses, and turns to glare with mistrust at the Tiefling. "Immortal. The Confessor may be less than pleased to see one such as yourself. Perhaps, you may wish to join your hungry friend on boat...?"

• Options
    "We've not come ta' make threats. Only ask fer help." Oak replies. "But we need tha' help quick before it is too late."

He looks at Urixes and Jack. "Might be good fer the two of you to bring back our....sick. Job needs ta' be careful, and I dun know how many else we can trust to do it right."

• Options
    Jack crosses his arms, grumbling at the man's ravings, "Only just got here and already leavin'... fine, fine, I'll go fetch her." He makes for the longboat, turning to Urixes, "You comin' or..." There's an unsaid '...are you blowing this guy up too?' at the end.

He picks up Mister Fusspot and places him on Oak's shoulder, fiddling with the abacus, "Come find us if they get into trouble, yea?"