As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The fight for Tiche I used Adula's whatever-that-ice-sword spell is, and more or less stun-locked them into death. Even knocked them out of the big AoE prep, just shut her right down.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah I ended up using Marias build I used to beat the last bosses. Just dodge until the aoe ground pound then charge hit for 1/3rd of health or so.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Well, I definitely didn't just make a blue-eyed, blonde-braided, purple-eyeshadowed sorcerer named Elsa with the intention of finding and using all the ice magic in the game.

But if I had, I bet this will be fun...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Finally concluded the Ranni quest (and BTFO'd Blaidd and that stupid Glinstone dragon just for icing).

I realized I hadn't gone back to Roundtable in ages and turns out I had like three weapon upgrades available and a third talisman slot. This resulted in me being able to wear the Beast Champion set with my Greatsword and an Arbalest and still be able to medium roll so to say I just got a huge power boost is understating it. I also boosted my Mimic Ash as far as resources allowed. Yeah, yeah, I know the Mimic Ash is kinda cheap but why wouldn't I use something that doesn't burn my FP so not only am I free to spam Lion Claw, I now have a Luigi to double up the Lion Claw?

Astel was giving me a lot of grief cause I was trying to get all fancy and fight them normally. I'm a dumb dumb and forgot my very important flowchart for this build that basically goes like "Lion's Claw until poise is broken, punish, repeat until victory or FP runs out." Sure enough abandoning all semblence of intelligence resulted in poise breaking Astel very quickly and sending them to the fucking shadow realm. Having a Super Smaah Bro that'll throw out Lion's Claws too now is only making this funnier.

Just need to the Study Hall and then it's off to carve a path of destruction across Caelid and after that I can get back to the actual story progression. So, like, in another ten or twenty hours.

Fun fact: I'm lvl 91 and haven't cleared Caelid yet. Elden Ring is GOTY and RIP to anything else trying to compete for that in 2022.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i feel like a dumbass, but what if my solution to my 2nd charcter that's a mess of str/dex/ faith that can only use the Godslayer GS well is to just

dump the dex and double down on faith

it won't be AS good with Godslayer, but at least it'll work well with other stuff

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Elendil wrote: »
    i feel like a dumbass, but what if my solution to my 2nd charcter that's a mess of str/dex/ faith that can only use the Godslayer GS well is to just

it won't be AS good with Godslayer, but at least it'll work well with other stuff
    plugged this into a build calc and it's uh, a little rough

pros: actually pretty strong as a spell caster, infused weapons will benefit, can probably use a good variety of faith weapons at reasonable competence

cons: still have to cut pretty deep to hit 60 faith, can only roll 52 vigor, 25 end, and 20 mind, and can only use eclipse greatshield, takes a 50 AR hit on Godslayer GS, which feels like... a lot

might do it anyway

Elendil on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Based on what I've seen from other folks, Godslayer GS is kinda weak compared to some of the other Faith greatswords. I haven't played with it myself but the AR calculations do seem kinda mediocre. I guess it depends on what else the sword is offering, along with the AOW. How's the move set?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    it's got a faster moveset than most and the ash of war is really strong

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    it's got a faster moveset than most and the ash of war is really strong

have you tried the Faith Scythes? Halo Scythe seems to have a really good weapon art.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

plugged this into a build calc and it's uh, a little rough

pros: actually pretty strong as a spell caster, infused weapons will benefit, can probably use a good variety of faith weapons at reasonable competence

cons: still have to cut pretty deep to hit 60 faith, can only roll 52 vigor, 25 end, and 20 mind, and can only use eclipse greatshield, takes a 50 AR hit on Godslayer GS, which feels like... a lot

might do it anyway

I got a lot of mileage out of having a build that didn't much need FP. For a while I had virtually no use for it aside from the occasional cure poison and to power Bloodhound Step, since my summon was the mimic tear, and I had a Mind of like 15 and only kept one FP flask handy. I never got my Vigor above 40 and just dumped everything into Dex and Arc with just enough End to carry a couple of weapons and some medium armor without fat rolling.

Everything died so fast to bleed that I didn't have to really worry about tanking hits or having a lot of stamina.

I had to respec to bump up my FP once I got Tiche, but that just cost me a few dex points and I was still just dandy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    ChasetheBro was testing out Death's Poker in duels and one invasion and holy shit the ash of war on it is insane. I have no idea how it does in pve, but it's a really unique weapon.

• Options
    ChasetheBro was testing out Death's Poker in duels and one invasion and holy shit the ash of war on it is insane. I have no idea how it does in pve, but it's a really unique weapon.

it does really really well in PVE. Really well.

• Options
    Man I am so bad about reading item descriptions. I'll grab some thing and be like "sweet, dopamine rush, onto the next thing." But there is just a lot of great information on them.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    The fight to get Tiche is also incredibly difficult.
    It's basically malenia lite without the 2nd phase.

Fun to get her pattern down, though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Man I am so bad about reading item descriptions. I'll grab some thing and be like "sweet, dopamine rush, onto the next thing." But there is just a lot of great information on them.

you can sort items based on when you picked it up so should be easy to find things you absent mindedly just picked up and wasn't really paying attention to.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Update 14! Three down...
    I have to admit, I started feeling a little burned out when I first got into Caelid. Part of it was the difficulty spike, part was how it was such a bleak, depressing wasteland compared to the rest of the world, and part of it was, well, feeling bummed out enough about OUR world that spending my fantasy world time in an even bigger pit was less appealing.

What changed? Time, at least a bit, and more importantly a huge weapon upgrade. My strength build seemed perfect for the Magma Wyrm Greatsword, so I burned through some of our Somber Smithing Stones to make it outperform my old, classic Knight Greatsword. The sudden power boost, not to mention its really cool special move, helped me take down the Scarlet Rot dragon and corresponding tree elder. I also took down Commander O'Neill, the swamp dude. It took a few tries, but I was able to figure it out eventually. The good news is it gave me some new insight and skill into horseback boss fighting. the bad news is I was getting a little nauseous circle-strafing him in irregular patterns.

I haven't entire figured out all of Caelid and explored it fully yet. I bet the guards in the upper ledges of the Divine Tower were wondering why I was there. Your guess is as good as mine, unfortunate guards. I also haven't been able to beat the Jar Duelists yet, but that was pre-weapon upgrade. More importantly, it's party time! When I got to Redmane Castle, apparently taking the Endless Up Magma tunnel to the Plateau was enough to advance the plot, and for once, nearly everyone didn't want there didn't want to kill me. No, they wanted to kill Radahn, the boss, and wanted my help. It took a few tries, sure, but it was a pretty fun boss, what with spending nearly the entire fight on horse and summoning possibly dozens of other heroes to help! Well, except for Patches, who hilarious bailed as soon as I summoned him.

Boss down, but I still have a lot of Caelid to explore before I'm done, and it sounds like I have more underground that I can explore now and can advance the Ranni quest. Oh, and I also good D killed at some point by Fia. Whoops?

Out of curiosity, did anyone else get occasional game burnout? Like, it's a fun, massive, wonderful game, but it's humongous, and nearly every boss in the game is hard enough to require at least a few tries.

Update 15. You know Imagine Dragons?
    Well, you'll have to imagine them, because I'm busy killing the living ones! After clearing a few forts and whatnot that I missed in Caelid, I managed to kill the Mama Dragon by slaying her baby dragons, then took down the flying dragon on the bridge north of it! So many Runes. I gained like four levels in the span of an hour. Does that mean I can take out that boss guarding the manor to the north?

...two seconds later...

Nope! But I was able to take down all the bats in the nearby belfry. Well, and their buddies the harpies, ghost knights, and rats. This means I could actually legitimately use the Great Lift! It meant nothing, sure, but still...

Let's Wrap Up Caelid mostly finished from there. I found the catacombs in same ruin where I fought Radahn, which was full of relatively easy ghost knights to kill, when they weren't busy killing each other (and giving me the runes for it.) It took several tries, but I managed to take down the Fetid Tree Spirit too, which was fairly impressive since it could one-shot me with that swallow attack. I then gave myself slight agoraphobia by getting to the bottom of Caelid's divine tower, though the Godskin Disciple proved to be something for another day and about 10 levels later. I decided to wrap up this set of sessions to explore the beginning of Altus Plateau, only to learn that I already am overleveled for it, judging by the ten seconds it took me to kill the Demi-human Queen and how getting my throat slit by an invisible assassin just results in a slight bruise. But I'll still probably clear the place as best as I can before moving on to, oh, let's say Ranni's quest underground.

All that said, hopefully I can resist the siren song of the Ring long enough to finally finish the current chapter of my book. Feel free to yell at me if I post an update before I do so!

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    jfc three more hours spent soloing malenia and i can still barely get her to phase 2

i can't parry any of her shit either so throw that strategy out the window

• Options
    jfc three more hours spent soloing malenia and i can still barely get her to phase 2

have you tried throwing frost jars at her head while she's starting up her whirly attack thing?

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

have you tried throwing frost jars at her head while she's starting up her whirly attack thing?
    waterfowl ain't the problem

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

afaik:
    Parrying Malenia will negate the damage but it won't critically stagger her and she will heal off the parry, too.
    Not sure how the parry is handled but if she backs off you're kinda trolling yourself as she'll never get to end a combo and be vulnerable for a few hits.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Have you tried screaming incoherently at your monitor? I find that usually works for me. Eventually.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    oh she will stagger....after 3 parries.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Have you tried screaming incoherently at your monitor? I find that usually works for me. Eventually.

Enter the fight with the biggest fuckoff whackbonk you got, or rivers of blood, so your mimic tear has them

Switch to something with frostbite

ezpz

• Options
    I meant as a general strategy, not specific to that fight.

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    so my second playthrough is going a lot better I'm still getting to a point where enemy numbers are far too high in the late game but overall I've had a much better experience with this wizard run.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I posted my thoughts on the back third of the game in the se++ thread, but I'll post them here as well

It's [crumbling farum azula] thematically awesome, visually stunning (one of the best From has ever done), and a lot of fun to hop around in. The dragon encounters are cool, I'm no longer worried about the Godskin duo as I've gotten that fight pretty solidly taken care of, and the fact all the bits around The Lands Between came from CFA (and the first boss you fight does, too) is just a nice way to wrap it up.

I know people hate it and that's cool, but I find it an extremely rewarding and frankly gorgeous area to trounce about in.

Elphael is another stunner, and Flame Peak is a proper "You do not fucking belong here" end of the world area. I am very happy From decided to make places where it is extremely difficult or impossible to just kill everything, because I always find that kind of systematic enemy elimination to be the most boring way to do anything. It's something they touched on with the dragon butts in Izalith and those fucking reindeer in Frigid Outskirts, but here it feels better than ever.

Edit: The end of Elden Ring captured the feeling of entering a phase, and a place, that was incredibly dangerous. Having it be easy, or even something you could do pretty well, would diminish the feeling of oppressive and constant danger. Water it down. Turn it into what every other open-world game does: Level up a bit and the last parts are absolute cake. Granted you can do that here, too... but even at level 150, Haligtree/Elphael still fucked me up good. Flame Peak, with its giant monsters killing each other amongst an above-ground graveyard of frozen corpses, lit with sickly pastels, would no longer actually have the danger its visuals present to the player. These are true challenges of an endgame proper that you can't go and overcome with 30 minutes of farming, and it's very welcome. Especially since numerous ways are given to the player to bypass, or aid themselves, or to overcome, I find these last bleak areas to be really rich in experience and detail (a different kind of detail than Limgrave, true, but there nonetheless). Maybe you think I'm screaming "git gud", but I'm really not: I'm more saying "have fun gitting dead", because dying in these games at the end is nearly inconsequential.

• Options
    I meant as a general strategy, not specific to that fight.

>.>

Same tho!

• Options
    I love CFA. I just got back there with my current character. It does not fuck around.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Haligtree is just populated by a back of dicks. I mean, I get here, wander around acouple of branches and then boom wall to wall homing golden orbs each one of which takes off half my health and I don't get a recovery animation so I get hit by multiple of them.

My patented "Running past stuff" aprroach doesn't apply to an advancing wall of homing golden orbs.

I am beginning to feel like I am not welcome here.

Also, as is traditional, I completely missed the Site of Grace right at the start of the area so kept respawning in the Snow Field for half a dozen attempts. I keep doing this, missing the bonfire DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME, when coming into a new area.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I definitely just fell off the branch immediately the first two times I zoned in there. It’s uh… it’s part of the experience

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah with the lock on system in the game, the need to roll for all builds and general strange edges to things in this game the Haligtree start was just my least favorite area in the whole game.

• Options
    Yes, I agree all of the above happened to me.

And I cackled like a madman the entire time.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I was able to carefully get through the branches section without dying once the first time through...at which point I managed to just walk off a branch and die with zero threats left between me and the second grace.

Trying to speedrun back to that point after, on the other hand, took me a while. Really wish the biggest trumpeters stayed dead.

• Options
    Haligtree is just populated by a back of dicks. I mean, I get here, wander around acouple of branches and then boom wall to wall homing golden orbs each one of which takes off half my health and I don't get a recovery animation so I get hit by multiple of them.

My patented "Running past stuff" aprroach doesn't apply to an advancing wall of homing golden orbs.

I am beginning to feel like I am not welcome here.

Also, as is traditional, I completely missed the Site of Grace right at the start of the area so kept respawning in the Snow Field for half a dozen attempts. I keep doing this, missing the bonfire DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME, when coming into a new area.

Assassin's Gambit was a game changer for me. It's probably harder to maneuver in Haligtree because the pathways are so narrow, but for almost no FP you can run around and through almost anything without being seen.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Every time I get murdered unfairly by a From Software game I cackle like an idiot cause it's usually just teaching you a lesson.

Like the first time one of those sarcophagus guys just grabbed me and killed me

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Man, I die all the time to the same stupid mistakes. I ain't learning shit most of the time.

I'm definitely losing steam in Leyndell now, which is a shame because it's so gorgeous.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    yeah me and Elden Ring are caught in a constant struggle between it trying its best to teach me and my brain absolutely refusing to learn a thing

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    yeah me and Elden Ring are caught in a constant struggle between it trying its best to teach me and my brain absolutely refusing to learn a thing
    3 hours on malenia

again!

• Options
    At this point I just assume that waterfowl dance is going to eviscerate me and there’s nothing I can do about it. People who dodge that thing practice witchcraft, I’m convinced.

This discussion has been closed.