As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Whole lotta nothing in that presentation for me.

Yeah.

“Don’t you love games that are cozy and weird??”

…not really.

I’m glad there’s room in the indie space for all of these narrative experiences and slow paced cute adventure games, but I’m a much more mechanical-action oriented type of person. There were a few games that did catch my eye but none of them really offered me much of anything that’s better, elsewhere.

ElecHead is just Mega Man, Another Crab's Treasure is a souls-like action game, Gunbrella is an action platformer with Gun in the name, Cursed to Golf is a golf puzzle game, Cult of the Lamb is a horror-themed action RPG, Soundfall is a rhythm-based FPS...there was a lot of games that aren't just "narrative experiences."

RGT85 is complaining about this as well. This presentation had pretty great variety in it, but it seems a lot of people missed that. Not sure...

I didn’t miss the variety. They fired a shotgun blast of stuff and I wasn’t caught in it. There were a lot of games that leaned away from what I like this time around.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Second attempt at a screen protector went much much better so that’s cool . I also keep forgetting you can redeem gold points for games in the switch menu . Kinda seems hidden away there .

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Watched Indie Showcase over lunch. Yeah, nothing too interesting for me there. Not surprised but always hope to see something cool. Some of the games looked ok and/or neat but nothing I would probably play (the forming a band story game was kinda neat looking but probably not something I'd buy.. and I kinda liked the crab game).

P.S. - is it just me or do like half the indie games these days try to mimic Adventure Time-ish art style?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I love the style.

Its just so very... Nintendo.

I just kinda like how they all do these things their own way and their own individual styles. Keeps things interesting!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Matthew wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yep this is another hill I'm willing to die on. Lots of them these days. I love random battles and am really sad that we're seeing less and less of em.

Bravely Default's system was a win-win for both playstyles. A shame they removed it from future games.

Now if only the could do something about BF’s characters.

mrgrrghrl

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Watched Indie Showcase over lunch. Yeah, nothing too interesting for me there. Not surprised but always hope to see something cool. Some of the games looked ok and/or neat but nothing I would probably play (the forming a band story game was kinda neat looking but probably not something I'd buy.. and I kinda liked the crab game).

P.S. - is it just me or do like half the indie games these days try to mimic Adventure Time-ish art style?

I prefer the current style over the fake 8 bit style that used to be in every game ever. The style that was in games like Broforce. It was awful looking and worse than the actual 8 bit style from the NES. Games like Shovel Knight did it right.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    It does feel like indie games have settled on a handful of common art styles, and it's increasingly rare to see something truly unique. One of the reasons I was so drawn to, say, Obra Dinn, was that I'd never seen a game that looked anything like it.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I prefer the current style over the fake 8 bit style that used to be in every game ever. The style that was in games like Broforce. It was awful looking and worse than the actual 8 bit style from the NES. Games like Shovel Knight did it right.

That I will agree with. I am cool with 8-bit/16-bit style if it's done well, such as in Shovel Knight (where they literally adhere to NES limitations except in a few cases where it's just better for the game - like the NES not having a good brown for skin colors, etc), but most indies just very very superficially apply it and you can tell it's more a lack of skill/laziness/trend chasing :P
    It does feel like indie games have settled on a handful of common art styles, and it's increasingly rare to see something truly unique. One of the reasons I was so drawn to, say, Obra Dinn, was that I'd never seen a game that looked anything like it.

Yeah, even if the gameplay is not for me I will always appreciate games that go for a unique art style that looks really cool and works well with gameplay.. sometimes they do go a bit overboard and it hurts the gameplay as a result - like some of those games that are basically Obra Dinn style but not Obra Dinn itself because you can actually make out what things are in that game - I can tell Obra Dinn actually took some care to make sure everything stood out visually despite the lack of color or real shading (i.e. outlines around things, more solid blacks and whites vs. heavy use of gradients, etc). I've seen others that.. don't... and it's just a mess of pixels.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elechead looks clever and fun, I’ll want to try that.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I know its basically tradition at this point but I wish they'd go a different route for the presentation style of these showcases. The unfunny jokes plus incredibly stilted delivery is off-putting (to me anyways, I do admit I can be oversensitive to speaking styles etc), sometimes it even feels like they're quietly mocking some of the games they're talking about. They just have this very deliberate, slow paced, over enunciated narration. I do still like the parts where the devs do their own spiels though

At this point "charming" is such a cliché way for them to describe a lot of these indie games. I'm rather tired of it. Of course, less than two minutes into the showcase they resorted to that banal descriptor. I was already mentally checking out.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I'm glad to see more people getting a chance to play OneShot, since that's a heck of a game.

I'm looking forward to/dreading the release of Card Shark, since I was absolutely fascinated by the demo they put out on Steam a while back... and it's probably one of the most tense games I've played in a while.

Cult of the Lamb's "release date trailer" being "this year" is a pretty good troll.

Mini Motorways is a good fit for the Switch, and it'll be nice to have it somewhere on a bigger screen than a phone.

Looking forward to how Crab Souls ends up, since it's the Going Under devs and that game was fascinating.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This week's eShop update

Switch Download

Aery: A New Frontier – $9.99
    Attentat 1942 – $15.49
    Behind Closed Doors: A Developer’s Tale – $4.99 (available May 18)
    Divination – $4.99 (available May 18)
    Dungeons of Dreadrock – $10.00
    Get-A-Grip Chip and the Body Bugs – $2.99
    Gibbon: Beyond the Trees – $14.99
    HellGunner – $4.99 (available May 13)
    Hyper Echelon – $19.99 (available May 13)
    Infinite Links – $14.99
    Mini Motorways – $14.99
    OPUS: Echo of Starsong – Full Bloom Edition – $24.99
    Rage Among the Stars – $4.99
    Regular Factory: Escape Room – $9.99 (available May 18)
    Seven Pirates H – $39.99
    Soundfall – $29.99
    Space Lines: A Puzzle Arcade Game – $5.99
    Summer Days – $4.99
    The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story – $49.99
    Vesper: Zero Light Edition – $9.99

Switch Demo

Card Shark

eShop Sales

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
    Check out the full list of deals available this week at https://www.nintendo.com/store/sales-and-deals.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just 20 releases this week?

Clearly, Nintendo is doomed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    So finished 13 sentinel, that was one extremely fun and convoluted game. The narrative sections became a bit exposition dump towards the end but I can’t see any other way of doing it in this kind of game , with this much going on plot wise. So yeah play it .

As an aside , when does the front mission remasters come out ? Kinda want to play more mech games older console games look way too distorted on current tvs so that rules out some of the older games I have.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Cross posting from Pokemon thread:

Heck yes, about time

• Options
    Wait, Pokemon Home wasn't working with them at the start? That's weird.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wait, Pokemon Home wasn't working with them at the start? That's weird.

Oh, it gets better. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl were coded by the same developers that made Home :P And according to leaks (which seem to be real?) apparently BDSP were coded in a different programming language than every other Pokemon game (and Home) which made transferring stuff from there to Home extra difficult to accomplish.

It's really bizarre. I sort of get that maybe Home and these games were in development at the same time so native support wasn't able to be done. But BDSP and Home being done in-house in the same side company, you'd think the two teams would work together to get support integrated (Arceus was developed by Game Freak proper so I sorta get that one). The only thing I can think is that deadlines prevented such a thing. I hope gen 9 has native support at least.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Huh, weird.

Oh, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is $20 off, and Arceus is $10 off at a bunch of retailers.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's about time that Home works with them. That took way longer than I thought it would.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Alan Wake Remastered is coming to Switch. It's not a cloud based game, but native which is nice.

https://nintendoeverything.com/alan-wake-remastered-coming-to-switch/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Alan Wake Remastered is coming to Switch. It's not a cloud based game, but native which is nice.

Why would it be cloud based? Has anyone other then square tried that silly silly option?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Why would it be cloud based? Has anyone other then square tried that silly silly option?

As of February, these were all the cloud-based games on Switch:

Control Ultimate Edition
    Dying Light 2 Stay Human
    Hitman 3
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    The Forgotten City
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
    Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX
    Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
    Kingdom Hearts III + ReMind
    Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

As of February, these were all the cloud-based games on Switch:

Control Ultimate Edition
    Dying Light 2 Stay Human
    Hitman 3
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    The Forgotten City
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
    Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX
    Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
    Kingdom Hearts III + ReMind
    Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece

Plus they announced it was digital only as well. I absolutely expected it to be cloud-based.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Nobody Saves the World is really good

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Yeah it's got a good mix of RPGness and Zelda. My OCD really enjoyed it.

• Options
    Triangle Strategy was on sale on Amazon today for $50 so I bit the bullet. Imagine my surprise when it was at my doorstep like an hour later.

• Options
    Amazon used a quietus to move all the way to your house in one turn.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I love when you get a build so ridiculous that you can just hold down a button. Necromancer+ skill that drains your life when you run out of mana, so you can keep casting + skill that refills your life when you do damage + homing missiles. I almost feel bad for the enemies, and that's before summoning familiars who you can also heal while receiving your own healing from skill 2 lol

• Options
  • Options

Nice. Though I'm actually surprised it wasn't released before The Forgotten Land came out.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Main thing I remember about Kirby 64 is going over to a friend's house who had just bought it and we beat the whole thing in a 4 hour afternoon and he was so pissed at having paid full price for that.

But it was a pretty nice little game while it lasted and I wasn't disappointed (because it wasn't my money).

Howlongtobeat says full completionist doing everything should be 7 hours.

• Options
    Yeah it's pretty short but that's the perfect length for me for these types of games.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kirby games can generally be bumrushed pretty quick, though I think 64 is still on the short side for Kirby.

It's a good romp though, it's very cute, and has a lot of really fun powers to abuse.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    According to the NPD, US Switch sales have now surpassed sales of the PS4, and is the fourth-highest console of all time. It's now only behind the PS2, the Xbox 360, and the Wii.

(Insert "Nintendo is doomed" joke here)

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    According to the NPD, US Switch sales have now surpassed sales of the PS4, and is the fourth-highest console of all time. It's now only behind the PS2, the Xbox 360, and the Wii.

If the Switch has supposedly sold 107 million systems, then it's ahead of the Xbox 360 (84 millions) and Wii (102 million), but still behind the PS2 (158 million). Of course, that's not counting the Game Boy (118 million) and Nintendo DS (154 million).

Those numbers are crazy regardless of where they end up. What's even more impressive is that the console basically never dropped in price on the non-Lite version. Some of that can certainly be attributed to the pandemic, but still, that's pretty nuts.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Someone help me out here with something
    I'm headed out on a road trip, and I'm not really gonna have a lot to do except play Switch and phone games for 16 hours each way. I'm looking for a battery pack that will let me keep my Switch charged up while playing it, specifically a non-OLED original Switch. I don't necessarily need a charging case or grip, and if I could also charge my phone with it it would be a huge bonus.
    Anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate it if anyone has anything, especially if it's something I can get at Best Buy or Wal-Mart since the trip is tomorrow (didn't really know about it too far in advance lol)

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

If the Switch has supposedly sold 107 million systems, then it's ahead of the Xbox 360 (84 millions) and Wii (102 million), but still behind the PS2 (158 million). Of course, that's not counting the Game Boy (118 million) and Nintendo DS (154 million).

NPD is supposedly looking at US sales only, not worldwide.

Still crazy because I'd expect US to be the PS4's stronghold, but maybe it's more tilted towards EU than the Switch.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Someone help me out here with something
    I'm headed out on a road trip, and I'm not really gonna have a lot to do except play Switch and phone games for 16 hours each way. I'm looking for a battery pack that will let me keep my Switch charged up while playing it, specifically a non-OLED original Switch. I don't necessarily need a charging case or grip, and if I could also charge my phone with it it would be a huge bonus.
    Anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate it if anyone has anything, especially if it's something I can get at Best Buy or Wal-Mart since the trip is tomorrow (didn't really know about it too far in advance lol)

just get a USB-C power bank, something with PD support would work.

example anker

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I also call bullshit on Xbox 360 lifetime sales because of the units out the gate suffered from the RRoD and people probably just bought new ones before MS started repairing the units at no cost.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I also call bullshit on Xbox 360 lifetime sales because of the units out the gate suffered from the RRoD and people probably just bought new ones before MS started repairing the units at no cost.

Ehhh, weird justifications for multiple purchases still count as multiple purchases. You could call bullshit on handhelds (including Switch) for it being much more likely that multiple are bought per household. Or for the DS hinge crack, or for multiple editions like XL, etc.