As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrestling Thread Hall of Famer Giant Tiger Presents: The Wrestling Thread

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    wDKPQuB.jpg

how my guy

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    wDKPQuB.jpg

how my guy

Just walk into a parlour with a photo and say "gimme a legally distinct version of this but make her hot"

(He seems to have a tag partner named Lilith and she kinda looks like that so here's hoping it's a big temporary tattoo)

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That’s entirely too much commitment to the bit.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Wait is that really the promo photo they're using for Take? The man is super good looking and here he looks like he got tricked by Chris Brookes into doing six salt-tequila-lime shots.
    this isn't a dunk btw the sauna pervert LOVES tequila <3

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Goddammit I fucking hate that I dont get TBS on our cable, I'm missing so much

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetious wrote: »

Dammit, HARASHIMA! Wasn't the first time either, the Ace should have seen it coming.

Totally unrelated, there was a match Ibushi had against Tanahashi in 2017(?) during which Kota had Tana in the Phoenix Plex position and Tana just smacked him in the face to break the hold like, not today fucker! I remember watching it live at the gym and laughing so hard I nearly fell off the treadmill.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Normally I wouldn’t post something like this but it’s an important spoiler for rampage as it pertains to the Womens half of The Owen
    Shida is unable to compete and has been replaced by Kris Statlander

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Normally I wouldn’t post something like this but it’s an important spoiler for rampage as it pertains to the Womens half of The Owen
    Shida is unable to compete and has been replaced by Kris Statlander
    Shida's doing stuff in Japan at the moment, so it's not injury-related at least

I'm a Kris fan, so I'm not disappointed by this development. Unless she immediately loses anyway >:[

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    MJF is many things to many people, but in Long Island, he is God.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    AEW Rampage spoilers
    Scorpio Sky retains the TNT title over Kaz after Ethan Page and Dan Lambert interfere; postmatch Sky continues attacking Kaz but gets chased off by Tay Conti and Sammy Guevara

lmao at them still trying to keep Sammy a face

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Regal laying out Jericho with a punch made me very happy.

It was a long time coming.

HonoredEnormousAsiaticwildass-small.gif

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    That's still like, only the second or third worst back tattoo I've seen on the indies.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Danhausen’s new theme is so wonderful. I really dig it. It’s worth how every many monies they paid for it.

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    It's me, Alistair, your number 1 #HOOKhausen fan.

I did not like the match. Sterling had to get far more involved prior to the beatdown to make it feel like the Hook intervention and brief handshake was earned. As it was it felt like just stepping through the motions.

Danhausen is comic relief, he is not a chump.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    You see, Mark managed to redirect Danhausen’s curse from Nese onto himself. That’s why Danhausen got wrecked and why Sterling got put through a table by Wardlow a few minutes later.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ive never seen danhausen do anything so i didnt really know what to expect

but its true that as a result of the curse, mark sterling was later murdered on live television with a table

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    It's okay, Danhausen will feud with Jericho at some point and then he'll drop all of his silly stuff and fight serious because Jericho brings that out of him.

And then we'll never see him do comedy wrestling again, only occasionally on the sidelines.

I wasn't expecting much, I figured he was still injured, but burying him that fucking hard, like Kenny buried Sonny Kiss, was fucking lame.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I was really looking forward to seeing what Danhausen can do (i know there is already stuff out there but I want to see what he can do in this incarnation) so I was disappointed, but I'm glad we got the catharsis of the Hookhausen relationship.

Also surprised Dax didn't go over Cole, I know it's Cole but he seemed like such a good fit for what the Owen Hart tournament seems to represent.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    It's okay, Danhausen will feud with Jericho at some point and then he'll drop all of his silly stuff and fight serious because Jericho brings that out of him.

And then we'll never see him do comedy wrestling again, only occasionally on the sidelines.

I wasn't expecting much, I figured he was still injured, but burying him that fucking hard, like Kenny buried Sonny Kiss, was fucking lame.

You seem to be extremely doom and gloom on Danhausen's future in AEW. Now I haven't seen him pre-AEW, so I don't know what kind of wrestling style or matches he did or if he's indeed going far away from his prior character.

Was his whole thing doing those silly, comedic matches like the "finger trapped in the butt" or "everything just went slow-mo" sort of thing? Or was it something different?

Not saying matches like that can't exist on TV, but I do believe it would be an uphill battle getting one on. While I think they're fun to watch, they certainly create a very specific tone and could potential harm "normal" matches that come after.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong? I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the matter.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

You seem to be extremely doom and gloom on Danhausen's future in AEW. Now I haven't seen him pre-AEW, so I don't know what kind of wrestling style or matches he did or if he's indeed going far away from his prior character.

Was his whole thing doing those silly, comedic matches like the "finger trapped in the butt" or "everything just went slow-mo" sort of thing? Or was it something different?

Not saying matches like that can't exist on TV, but I do believe it would be an uphill battle getting one on. While I think they're fun to watch, they certainly create a very specific tone and could potential harm "normal" matches that come after.

The only big comedy spots he does beyond normal goofy antics is that "Tequila" starts playing and he dances on the apron to confuse his opponents and he uses his collection of teeth as weapons.

• Options
    God I hate those teeth.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    DDT has had goofy weird comedy matches and gimmicks alongside (often intermingled with directly) hard-hitting serious matches for 25 years. Having one has never "harmed" the other.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    DDT has had goofy weird comedy matches and gimmicks alongside (often intermingled with directly) hard-hitting serious matches for 25 years. Having one has never "harmed" the other.

I agree but I also think comedy is part of the promotional identity in a way it might not be for aew, so I understand some amount of skepticism

• Options

AEW practically ruined my favorite wrestler, Orange Cassidy, and I'm extremely bitter about it. In the indies he would very rarely actually try to win, and his entire schtick was to do the least amount of wrestling possible. He carried the IWTV title for a long-ass time in a backpack he'd lazily toss into the ring. I remember him asking Kylie Rae if she wanted to challenge him for the title so eloquently: "Hey. Want to?" His finisher was not the Orange Punch, it was the Mousetrap, a very tricky pretzel roll-up. He would spend most of his matches out-maneuvering or outsmarting his opponents instead of out-punching them. AEW put him over Jericho, but in the process made his character more aggressive and now I'm supposed to believe someone who weighs 100 lbs soaking wet can superman punch people to death. And not only that, it's like the thing he does more than anything else now. He does his schtick occasionally on the sidelines, where he distracts from the rest of the match instead of being the thing that makes the match entertaining.

I continue to be happy to see Orange Cassidy and Danhausen earn some actual money and not be eating fried bologna sandwiches and sleeping in their cars anymore (I mean, I dunno how indy wrestlers live but I suspect I'm not far from the mark). But AEW does not want to be a place for comedy wrestling and it frustrates me. I am under no circumstances expecting them to wrestle invisible people or play baseball or go slo-mo, or any of that stuff (though that stuff does amuse me greatly), but they signed these guys because they had massive followings. And they have massive followings for a reason, but then they come to AEW and they have to tamp down on the thing that got them a massive following. It drives me fucking insane.

I'm especially frustrated that CHIKARA turned out to be a cesspool of abuse and that we haven't had a replacement for it that's also, simultaneously, not a cesspool of abuse, because that's where I'd love to see Cassidy and Danhausen be.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Orange Cassidy never got a run in DDT, and it is a tragedy that I don't trust AEW to leverage their DDT partnership to give us that Orange Cassidy DDT run

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

To us, maybe, but I'd argue if it's too goofy weird / silly / cartoonish, it limits overall appeal to the normies.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options

AEW practically ruined my favorite wrestler, Orange Cassidy, and I'm extremely bitter about it. In the indies he would very rarely actually try to win, and his entire schtick was to do the least amount of wrestling possible. He carried the IWTV title for a long-ass time in a backpack he'd lazily toss into the ring. I remember him asking Kylie Rae if she wanted to challenge him for the title so eloquently: "Hey. Want to?" His finisher was not the Orange Punch, it was the Mousetrap, a very tricky pretzel roll-up. He would spend most of his matches out-maneuvering or outsmarting his opponents instead of out-punching them. AEW put him over Jericho, but in the process made his character more aggressive and now I'm supposed to believe someone who weighs 100 lbs soaking wet can superman punch people to death. And not only that, it's like the thing he does more than anything else now. He does his schtick occasionally on the sidelines, where he distracts from the rest of the match instead of being the thing that makes the match entertaining.

I continue to be happy to see Orange Cassidy and Danhausen earn some actual money and not be eating fried bologna sandwiches and sleeping in their cars anymore (I mean, I dunno how indy wrestlers live but I suspect I'm not far from the mark). But AEW does not want to be a place for comedy wrestling and it frustrates me. I am under no circumstances expecting them to wrestle invisible people or play baseball or go slo-mo, or any of that stuff (though that stuff does amuse me greatly), but they signed these guys because they had massive followings. And they have massive followings for a reason, but then they come to AEW and they have to tamp down on the thing that got them a massive following. It drives me fucking insane.

I'm especially frustrated that CHIKARA turned out to be a cesspool of abuse and that we haven't had a replacement for it that's also, simultaneously, not a cesspool of abuse, because that's where I'd love to see Cassidy and Danhausen be.

Now all I can imagine is a slow-mo spot in AEW and Excalibur starts doing his slow-mo commentary voice and JR just talking normally perplexed by everything happening. Schiavonne can't do it right, but he tries to talk in the slow-mo voice.

• Options
    I want to give DDT a try but my friend told me about there being such a thing as a "penisplex" in DDT and god I don't want to see that and I can't get it out of my head when I think about watching DDT.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I finally caught up with Dante Martin vs Fenix. As expected, the athleticism and creativity on display was sick and so impressive.

I do think that Dante Martin is a perfect example of that Becky Lynch/John Cena story where he says "yeah, but i dont know who you are". Like, Martin just seems like a likeable, friendly young kid. Great athlete, but sense of character or anything. (Kind of like Ibushi, but without the years of wild memories building to a general whacky feeling about him, nor the extreme physical beauty Ibushi has."

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    In the indies he would very rarely actually try to win, and his entire schtick was to do the least amount of wrestling possible.

I watched a few of Cassidy's Beyond matches on YouTube and for the most part they weren't like that-they'd start out with a couple minutes of his comedy schtick but eventually become more serious.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    In the indies he would very rarely actually try to win, and his entire schtick was to do the least amount of wrestling possible.

I watched a few of Cassidy's Beyond matches on YouTube and for the most part they weren't like that-they'd start out with a couple minutes of his comedy schtick but eventually become more serious.

This is what I primarily remember. Orange as a singles guy in Beyond around 2018-2019 was peak "gets pushed until he needs to get serious" Orange, which was also already an evolved form. I think you gotta go back a few years to the Gentleman's Club era from like, 2012-2016 to see the truly doesn't give a shit, drunk/hungover Orange who could easily get one-punched by Grizzly Redwood. And it was cool seeing how he evolved from that.

One of the things that stuck out to me about him in AEW at the beginning was that they brought him in fully formed and he started "trying" pretty damn quickly. And that got super popular which is awesome, but it's also a shtick that can get tiring and repetitive, especially as a singles wrestler. There's a reason he was the comedy pin-eater in his stable on the indies and it has nothing to do with his actual talent and abilities. So if he's been kinda streamlined into a more "normal" wrestler I can see why.

Also I went looking for that Grizzly Redwood match because I love it so much and then remembered it was on an episode of the Gentleman's Club show which has been scrubbed from the internet.

hailtothekale on
  • Options

A lot of that started after his match with David Starr (remember when Starr was like the poster child of wrestling unionization?), where Starr just beat the shit out of him for like 15 minutes straight, including just throwing him down some stairs and closing the door, and Cassidy eventually exploding. But even then, he didn't win by overpowering the other wrestler, he won by being trickier and smarter. Him "trying" was like part of the game he was playing, where you never knew when he was on and when he was off. His 2-out-of-3-falls match with Jonathan Gresham is an awesome example of this, where Gresham is an accomplished technical wrestler, but because he couldn't figure out when Cassidy was going to move like a sloth and when he was gonna move like a squirrel, Gresham ended up constantly being surprised and taken off his guard. It was like the wrestling version of fighting a drunken boxer.

One of the things I loved about his rubber matches with Kris Statlander was that since they were both comedy wrestlers, they both did their bits early on in the match, and then they'd both do tricky bullshit, and then the match got serious. But at the end of the match, it was down to who was trickier than who.

Like, Cassidy's match with PAC, and his match with Kenny Omega and PAC, are like his only two AEW matches I've liked, and mimic much of what you're describing. I'm not against him wrestling seriously. I'm against him not being given the time or the space to do what he does best. Last year he had many Dark matches where he just opened with a superman punch and then the match was over. This happened with Hobbs, even. Like don't even bother booking him if you're gonna do that shit, even on Dark.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

A lot of that started after his match with David Starr (remember when Starr was like the poster child of wrestling unionization?), where Starr just beat the shit out of him for like 15 minutes straight, including just throwing him down some stairs and closing the door, and Cassidy eventually exploding. But even then, he didn't win by overpowering the other wrestler, he won by being trickier and smarter. Him "trying" was like part of the game he was playing, where you never knew when he was on and when he was off. His 2-out-of-3-falls match with Jonathan Gresham is an awesome example of this, where Gresham is an accomplished technical wrestler, but because he couldn't figure out when Cassidy was going to move like a sloth and when he was gonna move like a squirrel, Gresham ended up constantly being surprised and taken off his guard. It was like the wrestling version of fighting a drunken boxer.

One of the things I loved about his rubber matches with Kris Statlander was that since they were both comedy wrestlers, they both did their bits early on in the match, and then they'd both do tricky bullshit, and then the match got serious. But at the end of the match, it was down to who was trickier than who.

Like, Cassidy's match with PAC, and his match with Kenny Omega and PAC, are like his only two AEW matches I've liked, and mimic much of what you're describing. I'm not against him wrestling seriously. I'm against him not being given the time or the space to do what he does best. Last year he had many Dark matches where he just opened with a superman punch and then the match was over. This happened with Hobbs, even. Like don't even bother booking him if you're gonna do that shit, even on Dark.

It could be argued that the Orange Punch being so effective despite his small frame is, in itself, a joke.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options

It could be argued that the Orange Punch being so effective despite his small frame is, in itself, a joke.

That's fair but honestly that strikes me as being WWE-style humor instead of the charming humor that was Orange Cassidy in the indies.

• Options
    I'd be fine with what Orange Cassidy has become in AEW if it still required him to drink some orange juice to get powered up still.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    I'd be fine with what Orange Cassidy has become in AEW if it still required him to drink some orange juice to get powered up still.

Yeah, "orange juice."

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I can see all of the opinions as reasonable. I do wonder how much of OC character is his choice? Like, I get the impression that AEW lets their talent evolve/create their own characters, but with Tony Khan having the final say. Maybe the current OC character is just where he wants to be, or maybe it's TK influence pushing him into a more series wrestler. Hard to say without having insider information. At least he still does the tired/bored schtick from time to time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

To us, maybe, but I'd argue if it's too goofy weird / silly / cartoonish, it limits overall appeal to the normies.

My maybe hot take is that wrestling will never appeal to “the normies”

If you’re not gonna accept the dude whose lazy you’re not gonna accept the guy who dresses up in face paint and a mask and you’re not gonna accept the serious wresler people past that cause isn’t this all fake

The hill is not comedy or supernatural characters. The hill is wrestling as an art form.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
This discussion has been closed.