As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - Drossmire

1252628303143

Posts

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    🎵 An axe in his hand, he's coming with a plan. AXE-WIZARD!
    Wearing double rings, hope you're ready for the sting. AXE-WIZARD!🎵

    Just workshopping a theme song here.

    kimemrpakunightmarenny
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    The Return Trip

    Counting up, we’re leaning Belfry.

    Gruush flicks a key free from some hidden pocket and turns it in the lock before stowing it. The dam descends slowly, allowing the rapids to crash over the side. Soon enough the waterway fills to a respectable depth.

    You heave in the boat and clamber on it together. The water pushes you along without the need of working the sails and rigging—good thing too, you’re not sailors by trade. At first you’re moving along fast, then briskly, and finally barely at all. Far behind you, the dam raises up to its original position.

    As you reach a carved stone archway the first rays of dawn dance upon the steadily lowering water. Either side of you are statues, most headless, each holding a different implement; a wand, a compass, a measuring triangle. The last hints of Oudru before you sail into the morning.

    Your little boat is grounded as the water cascades over a white cliff and down into a shallow lake. You are south-east of the belfry, it is in full view. Ahead you see a folded ladder built into the cliff’s edge. One switch kick will unfold it and set it standing down into the ground.

    Outside the belfry you see a giant building something out of rocks! You thought the Blackreach Sentinels were the big, but no, this is a giant. That creature is easily ten feet tall!

    dbykp92hudi9.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
    kimeAustinP0027mrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The shallow lake the water falls into is just the lake around the Belfry, yeah?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don’t expect you to remember, but this gives you a second option when you head into Drossmire. You could climb the ladder and walk back along the empty waterway, then take the river in…

    bml7vlqcx6dy.jpeg

    kimeZomroAustinP0027mrpaku
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I'm imagining Drossmire to be a swampy area, kinda like the bottom of Blighttown from Dark Souls (I just triggered myself by remembering that place). So having a way to stay relatively dry (riding a boat) seems like a great idea.

    nightmarennymrpaku
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    "Well... No reason to assume malicious intent, right?" Simon remarked at his companions regarding the giant. "Worst-case scenario we have him at a numerical disadvantage". He walked with confidence over to the ladder. "And besides it's not as if we have much claim to this area ourselves"

    (Assuming no one objects)
    Simon was as careful as possible not to spook the giant. He approached at a deliberate pace and stopped far from the giants reach and he waved.

    "Ho, stranger"

    Edit-acursed auto-correct

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    AustinP0027
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    In the trip back to the Belfry, Kirina was mostly quiet (in thought? upset? it's uncertain...).

    As they reach the Belfry and see the giant, though, her eyes widen in shock. "Who-- what is that?"
    "Well... No reason to assume malicious intent, right?" Simon remarked at his companions regarding the giant. "Worst-case scenario we have him at a numerical disadvantage". He walked with confidence over to the later. "And besides it's not as if we have much claim to this area ourselves"

    (Assuming no one objects)
    Simon was as careful as possible not to spook the giant. He approached at a deliberate pace and stopped far from the giants reach and he waved.

    "Ho, stranger"

    "I.... I suppose so, you're right." She's looking at Simon sort of incredulously as he approaches, but will follow behind (at a distance).

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    Arthur says very little. He agrees with Simon that they can only hope for a friendly face. If trouble has retaken the Belfrey, they were going to have a hard time no matter what.

    Still, axe stuck to his hand, he keeps a bit of distance back as Simon approaches.

    AustinP0027 on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Simon & Kirina

    “Hrm. Aah.”

    The giant picks up a boulder and cracks it in half.

    “Usurpers. Hrrrrm. ‘Twas thee and thine that slew the Masters, I smell the victory upon you.”

    He sets half the boulder down and wipes away fragments of shale.

    “Rrrrrm. Hmm… I am Benlorus Nimhe, son of Nimhe Daebaru. I am the last of a great line of smiths. I was bound by oath to serve the Masters, but no more. So I have walked here.”

    The giant sets a huge hammer down on the flat topped rock.

    “Call me Ben.”

    mrpakukime
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    "That we did, Ben" Simon began moving closer to the strange giant. Not invasive, just more conversational. "You are correct. We return fresh from Oudru. May we take it that you mean us and or sanctuary no harm?"

    Quire.jpg
    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Simon

    “I am a smith. I smith. Hmm. Nothing more.”

    He nods sagely to the horizon, then continues to build his workspace.

    Fun fact! You could have met Ben at the forge in Oudru, where he could have enhanced your weapons before the boss fight. Now he is a permanent resident.



    Adventurers

    You realise you’ve missed a night’s sleep!

    Take a Long Rest!

    You have much to discuss, to enhance and figure out together. Settle in, take your time.


    mrpakuAustinP0027kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    38acnydlguc6.jpeg

    For the record, you don’t need to be at the belfry to level up. You could of done so during a long rest at Drossmire.

    kimemrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ohhhh riiiight, that's our meta reward we knew about for conquering Oudru, crafting.

    Kirina is very curious as to both the smith and his abilities, but still wanting Simon (or someone else) to take the lead on this.

    Also, level 3 doesn't get me much :P , but should be fun for those of you picking a subclass!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Simon nods at that and begins to head inside. After a few feet he paused and gives off the impression that he is being chided within his own head. He looks back although not directly at the giant.

    "Apologies. I am Simon. Let us speak again another time."

    He nods to himself a second time and continues inside.

    Quire.jpg
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    I probably need to study this axe before I pick my level....

    AustinP0027 on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Ohhhh riiiight, that's our meta reward we knew about for conquering Oudru, crafting.

    Kirina is very curious as to both the smith and his abilities, but still wanting Simon (or someone else) to take the lead on this.

    Also, level 3 doesn't get me much :P , but should be fun for those of you picking a subclass!

    sorry that's the max amount of taking the lead I can justify for Simon. Hopefully someone else will have more questions for our new giant best friend.

    Quire.jpg
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Ohhhh riiiight, that's our meta reward we knew about for conquering Oudru, crafting.

    Kirina is very curious as to both the smith and his abilities, but still wanting Simon (or someone else) to take the lead on this.

    Also, level 3 doesn't get me much :P , but should be fun for those of you picking a subclass!

    sorry that's the max amount of taking the lead I can justify for Simon. Hopefully someone else will have more questions for our new giant best friend.

    If no one else does, Kirina will

    Kirina tentatively approaches the giant. "Umm... Sir Ben? What is it you can craft? We'll be traveling a lot, and could use better equipment."

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Can we please have the list of the books we'd found among the rubble one more time? Gruush would probably wanna read one of the juicier titles, in between: catching up with the new Giant friend, making sure Nan and Snail are safe, hiding his treasures, and a few words with the rest of the party...

    Also, as of level three, Gruush is officially an Assassin!:

    Assassinate:
    Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

    Geth roll 1d8 Hit Dice

    Hit Dice:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

    kimeAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur approaches the Giant. "Hello there! I'm Arthur pleasure to meet you."

    He holds up his hand holding the axe, "I have a ton of questions but first I need to figure out how to let go of this. Be back!"

    He proceeds inside to find the area that was set aside for magical study, lays out his book and quill, then grabs the contraption from his bag and set it I. The floor as well. Finally, he puts the hand with the axe down and starts studying it, taking notes as he goes.

    Just realized I have a cursed item on/in both hands now. Ring that will make me write while I sleep on one, axe gripped in the other. I'm a mess!

    kimemrpakufadingathedges
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Will we be discussing the loot situation at all? I've been playing Simon as not being particularly interested in cash and while that probably will change now that we have something specific to do with it I'm mostly just interested in an excuse to get a look at that Wytch-Knight scroll.

    Quire.jpg
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 12
    Will we be discussing the loot situation at all? I've been playing Simon as not being particularly interested in cash and while that probably will change now that we have something specific to do with it I'm mostly just interested in an excuse to get a look at that Wytch-Knight scroll.

    You were one of my "a few words with the rest of the party" people! :) If Simon just so happened to see me pull the scroll from the rubble within Oudru and wants to take a look now that we've got a breather, all he has to do is ask!

    mrpaku on
    nightmarenny
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Kirina

    The giant brightens. He can’t help but move his hands around, imaginary weapons springing to life.

    “Lay out our arms. Let’s get smithing! I smith only the best weapons!”, he booms.

    Ben needs materials for his labour. He’ll often have to melt down lesser weapons to have enough steel to forge new weapons or improve existing ones. Rare metals might be needed to achieve the highest calibre weapons. Coin has little use here, to him gold is just a soft metal—no good.

    To begin, simply state what you’re after, and he’ll name the price.

    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The books:
    1. Maashram & the Lily. A folk tale.
    2. Crux of the Earth. A tome of hymns concerning an unknown religion.
    3. Iftikask’s Measured Path. A manual of sorcery techniques and methodology.
    4. Basics of Architecture. An incredibly verbose and complex manual on building.
    5. Chain Law. Part manual, part history of the ball & chain weapon. The Oudru call it a meteor hammer.
    6. Passing of the Hammer. A historic account of a rebellion that ended in the formation of the elected masters.
    7. A little book without a title. It has some cooking recipes in it.
    8. A thin book with only a few pages. “Healing Potion” is scrawled on the front.
    9. The Glories of the First Dusk. A book of myths accompanied by extravagant paintings.

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina

    The giant brightens. He can’t help but move his hands around, imaginary weapons springing to life.

    “Lay out our arms. Let’s get smithing! I smith only the best weapons!”, he booms.

    Ben needs materials for his labour. He’ll often have to melt down lesser weapons to have enough steel to forge new weapons or improve existing ones. Rare metals might be needed to achieve the highest calibre weapons. Coin has little use here, to him gold is just a soft metal—no good.

    To begin, simply state what you’re after, and he’ll name the price.

    "I have a Warhammer here," she shows Ben her hammer. "Are you able to improve it at all?"

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav will wait until the right timing, rather than interspersing his inquiries to the giant in with the more practical questions.

    After giving a greeting in Giant, Alzav switches to Common to allow the others to understand. "Will you tell me the story of your people?"



    Loot: This is what I grabbed - does any of it seem to be more than what it appears / what's in the coin purses etc / does anyone need any of this?
    -fine clothing
    -A small, ordinary leather bag. (empty)
    -some dyed cut glass gems.
    -5 ordinary pieces of jewelry
    -several accessories.
    -Three coin purses.
    -A barely used journal—one page has an unfinished close up map of a coastline.
    -A vial of ink
    -some manner of stone quill.
    -2 regular daggers
    -tiara
    -bejeweled cat
    -glowing bottle

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Totally cool if the answer is no since we didn't RP it out but did you grab that outfit for Arthur?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    Kirina

    Ben picks it up between two fingers and thumb.

    “Oohhh. Hrm.”, he shakes his head, then laughs, “I taste it’s potential on the air. It would be that I should see it revealed.”

    After some thought, he says, “I will need further steel and a fine gem.”

    Any old weapon and gem of some sort is the price. The larger and more expensive the gem the better the result.

    It will take a day for the weapon to be ready. He can do another task set for him in the same time frame.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 12
    OOC: Gruush currently has a Ruby on hand. He didn't realize Ruby=Smithing Stone until just now

    Also, simple Gruush will probably just read and re-read the recipe for "Healing Potion" and call it good for tonight? It's not that he's uninterested in the rest...he's just really pragmatic like that

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Thats probably better than the Aventurine gems right? I have one of those if someone wants it for smithing

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Alzav

    “Hrrm.”, Ben shifts uneasily, “No.”

    Then he waits for your expression.

    “Hurr. My people? Not all giants are as one. ‘Tis a shame. Much has been lost, much I never did learn. My family were exiles, and made an oath of loyalty to those black-clad peoples in return for hearth and forge.”

    “Ah. But you want to know history on a grander scale than mine own. In the first age, the first giants shaped the world. In the first age, the Dragon ruled from the belly of the world. Across molten Magor Venge, kings and queens as tall as sky held back the Void and allowed life to flourish! Mm. Hrrm. But time marches on.”

    Ben shrugs.



    The coin purses are empty.

    The tiara is beautiful. Silver and onyx. Worth easily 300 gold.

    The bejewelled cat is a priceless artefact. It does not appear to be made by the Oudru. It matches nothing you saw there. It feels enchanted… somehow.

    The glowing bottle is filled with a luminous liquid. Properties unknown.

    The jewellery and accessories are just whatever you fancy.



    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    hmmm

    re: gems for my weapon, I've got a diamond that I don't REALLY want to part with yet. And then a much smaller emerald...

    Well, speaking of the diamond, are there ways to break a diamond into smaller pieces? Like, Kirina would rather have 10 piece of diamond each worth 500 gold than one large diamond worth 5000 :D

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Gruush

    You head to bed with the thin book over your face.

    Healing Potion:
    - 2 x two-headed dragonfly wing
    - 5 x daffodil petal
    - 1 x white evercup
    - honey

    Evercup. Not something you know of… could be a mushroom? Doesn’t say how much healing it gives, but it’s a start.

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    hmmm

    re: gems for my weapon, I've got a diamond that I don't REALLY want to part with yet. And then a much smaller emerald...

    Well, speaking of the diamond, are there ways to break a diamond into smaller pieces? Like, Kirina would rather have 10 piece of diamond each worth 500 gold than one large diamond worth 5000 :D

    Anyone proficient with the jeweller’s tools?

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    hmmm

    re: gems for my weapon, I've got a diamond that I don't REALLY want to part with yet. And then a much smaller emerald...

    Well, speaking of the diamond, are there ways to break a diamond into smaller pieces? Like, Kirina would rather have 10 piece of diamond each worth 500 gold than one large diamond worth 5000 :D

    Anyone proficient with the jeweller’s tools?

    eq9qhi5h6aqe.png

    cries

    but maybe someone else is :D

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    "Well met, Ben. I am Solomon and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm sure we will be making use your services as a smith, but I hope that we can also become friends as well. In due time, of course. If there's anything you need, feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do for you."

    Solomon lays out his weapons and holds up his longsword for Ben to see. "For a long time I've used a greatsword, it's seen me through many a battle. However, recently I've found myself drawn to my longsword again, though more accurately you could say I've let myself use it once more. I'd love to have a master of your caliber take a look." Solomon brings out the Blackreach Sentinel Helm he found earlier, "Would you be able to break down this helmet to be used to craft a shield? If so, what other materials would I need to procure?"

    Ben might not be able to do it, since the helmet is technically magical, but Solomon doesn't really know that. Figured I'd ask.

    We have some spare rooms in the Belfry, right? Other than bedrooms, I mean. I was thinking we could set one up as a kind of, interfaith chapel. Basically a space where we, or other travelers, can offer prayers to their own gods.

    Zomro on
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    Gosh, level up time. I had originally intended Solomon to go Oath of Vengeance considering his backstory. But I'm also leaning towards Oath of Redemption or something else. I gotta think on it

    I can roll my HP at least


    Geth roll 1d10+2 for HP gains

    Thanks, Geth. Glad to see you're looking out for me.

    HP gains:
    1d10+2 3 [1d10=1]

    Zomro on
    mrpakukime
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Totally cool if the answer is no since we didn't RP it out but did you grab that outfit for Arthur?

    I specifically said I was leaving everything except the outfit I was taking to wear - but if it's something Arthur would have taken, maybe Endless will be open to saying that you did?

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Nah, if you didn't grab it, you didn't grab it.

    That'll teach Arthur to run ahead!

    kime
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav nods to the giant. "So it does. We will eat soon, I think. Are you hungry, or would you like some tea?"

    ***

    Are we required to roll HP? I'll take the 4 for free if I can!

    Once he enters the Belfry, Alzav will spend time attuning to the Gauntlet and studying the items - can I attempt to attune to the cat and/or bottle to learn more? Or make Arcana rolls? He would go to the library Arthur was setting up to study them.

    Oh - I also had that gold buckler. Any vibes there?

    Endless_Serpents
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    As the party begins to rest and recover from the day's ordeals, Solomon takes a moment to speak with Kirina. "Lady Kirina, I've thought about what you said before, about me being here being a death sentence. And I suppose you're right. When I exiled myself, deep down I must've known that it would eventually end death. Even if the Shield hadn't fled to the Beyond, I would've spent the rest of my life searching for her, only stopping in the event of one of our deaths."

    Solomon pauses for a moment and then continues, "But I do not regret the decision, as I must make amends for my failure. Not my failure to stop her attack, no. It's more than that. She was my comrade-in-arms, my friend, closer to me than any family I've ever had, and yet I failed to see the signs. I keep thinking back to the time before she broke her oath, and I wonder if there was something I should've seen or heard from her to realize what was happening. Perhaps I'm just blaming myself more, perhaps there was nothing I could have done. But I owe it to her, as well as myself, to confront her again. There is no forgiveness for what she did, but maybe, just maybe, I can ask her myself why she did what she did. In my own search for redemption, perhaps she can be redeemed in her last moments."

    Solomon smiles, probably the first time anyone has seen the grim paladin smile since they'd arrived, and he addresses the entire party. "I will say this though; there is something worthwhile to my coming here, beyond my self imposed sentence. If I hadn't come here, I wouldn't have met all of you. I am no longer bound by the title of 'Sword of Retribution', I am now just a soldier, a warrior. And in that sense, I am blessed to be here with you all. I've once again found new comrades-in-arms, those who I can protect and who I can entrust my back to. I will see to my quest here, I must, but I now also have another mission, one I'm proud to take; fighting alongside you all. I swear that I shall protect each any everyone of you as long as I draw breath."

    Level up! I have chosen Oath of the Crown for Solomon's subclass. The tenets of the Crown are all pretty spot on, especially Loyalty, Courage and Responsibility. I am also now immune to disease and I've prepared Cure Wounds, Detect Poison and Disease and Purify Food and Drink for my spells. My Oath also always has Command and Compel Duel always prepared.

    Level 3 character sheet uploaded

    Zomro on
    Endless_SerpentsAustinP0027mrpaku
Sign In or Register to comment.