As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Bad Food] Thread is dead and gone forever

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't really watch Matty Matheson as I was introduced to him when that one channel was doing Eats everything at
    He popped up in other videos but I don't go looking for him

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    You're talking about Sam the Cooking Guy.

Fuck that guy.

YES!

That's him!

God, I genuinely love the internet. Can you imagine what it was like not to have a hive mind to pitch random nagging trivia at? It makes sense why a beer brewer would create a global infrastructure just to write a book about it.

Our company's website is celebrating the IT department this week, and one of the team members posted a cartoon of... a dog and a raccoon? sitting on a couch. Dog says "I just thought of something I'd like to know more about," and the raccoon says "Sucks to be you." The caption was "Life before Google"

Ah-ha! Found it! I had some details wrong. I don't know what to tell you, I've been drinking.
    Life-before-Google_o_23674.jpg

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's true, libraries never existed

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Whoa whoa, I don't want to know about it that badly!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Life before smartphones: let all of us ignoramuses discuss this topic none of us really know about as if we're experts.
    Life with smartphones: the same, but if someone mentions using a phone to verify the information throw scorn their way.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    So today I learned that fruit smoothies with spinach in them are good, but fruit smoothies with kale in them are bad.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My mom, who just turned 75 and is otherwise really bad with tech, loves the Google search on her phone. Like when I was driving them to/from Denver last week she'd just look up the topic of whatever conversation and start reading off facts about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Drink Death Cult Update:

Last of Jedoc's half-dozen. Pumpkin Pie.

Fucking nothing man. Totally fine after the others. Was just a basic pumpkins spice flavored beverage. Like I wouldn't drink a whole bottle of it, but I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin spice anyway.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    So today I learned that fruit smoothies with spinach in them are good, but fruit smoothies with kale in them are bad.

Fun fact! This applies to anything with Kale!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I fell in love with him because on the first video of his I saw he introduced himself as 'Chef Matty Matheson' but the chyron at the bottom of the screen read 'Matty Matheson - Level 23 Orc Fire Mage' or something to that effect.

but yeah, I don't watch him a lot

I still like him a million times better than that one guy who seems like a real asshole but whose food doesn't look all that good. Can't remember his name, but I'd know him if I saw him.

Does, "Guy who seems like an asshole and makes bad looking food" really narrow things down much when talking about YouTube?

good point

he reminded me of some kind of lame food mobster but I can't remember why. I watched all of three of his videos so I'm not going to be much help. Also, I don't really care if I ever find out because I'm not going to watch him anyway :winky:

I'm surprised no one said Babish just to troll the rest of the thread.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Hell naw, kale is great in soups

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

spoiler alert I have kale and spinach in my smoothies this week and they are p good
    1 cup of spinach
    1/2 cup of shredded carrot
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 cup of frozen strawberry, blueberry, kale mix
    1/4 cup greek yogurt
    1 cup of milk
    protein powder
    2 tbsp powdered PB
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 cup old fashioned oats
    pinch of black pepper
    pinch of turmeric
    tiny drizzle of honey, to taste

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    This smoothie has chopped kale, milk, yogurt, banana, frozen pineapple and chia seeds. Usually I use spinach but I had some kale in my fridge so I swapped it out. Big mistake. You shouldn't be able to chew a smoothie.

• Options
    maybe its the fresh vs frozen kale then. the frozen kale in mine is basically already chopped up to oblivion so it mixes up well

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

spoiler alert I have kale and spinach in my smoothies this week and they are p good
    1 cup of spinach
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup greek yogurt
    1 cup of milk
    protein powder
    2 tbsp powdered PB
    pinch of black pepper
    pinch of turmeric

I'm glad you like this, but I have to say

It sounds like you've dumped the kitchen scrap bin into a blender.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    By the way, speaking of Matty, his book Homestyle Cookery is probably my most used cookbook. It's got a really good range of recipes with excellent pictures and explanations.

Plus, these are still the best enchiladas I've ever had or made:

https://youtu.be/_T_Q0gfxhPw

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »

1 cup of spinach
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup greek yogurt
    1 cup of milk
    protein powder
    2 tbsp powdered PB
    pinch of black pepper
    pinch of turmeric

I'm glad you like this, but I have to say

It sounds like you've dumped the kitchen scrap bin into a blender.

I mean yeah I'm using up a bunch of leftover frozen and fresh stuff in the fridge this week

But its a lot of good veg and fruit servings in one meal, and healthy and filling

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm tempted to buy/wishlist Matty's book, because I made something of his from the Munchies YouTube channel and it was Really Really Good

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

I don't know what "escarole" is so I always used kale when making this, and it's been a favorite for a while.

https://www.seriouseats.com/hearty-escarole-barley-parmesan-soup-recipe

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    maybe its the fresh vs frozen kale then. the frozen kale in mine is basically already chopped up to oblivion so it mixes up well

Also if you are blending any leafy greens, blend them first by themselves. You'll get a much smoother consistency than if you just blend them with everything.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    I fell in love with him because on the first video of his I saw he introduced himself as 'Chef Matty Matheson' but the chyron at the bottom of the screen read 'Matty Matheson - Level 23 Orc Fire Mage' or something to that effect.

but yeah, I don't watch him a lot

I still like him a million times better than that one guy who seems like a real asshole but whose food doesn't look all that good. Can't remember his name, but I'd know him if I saw him.

Does, "Guy who seems like an asshole and makes bad looking food" really narrow things down much when talking about YouTube?

good point

he reminded me of some kind of lame food mobster but I can't remember why. I watched all of three of his videos so I'm not going to be much help. Also, I don't really care if I ever find out because I'm not going to watch him anyway :winky:

I'm surprised no one said Babish just to troll the rest of the thread.

babish is too nice to be a food mobster though

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One of my favourite meals is a beef kofta curry with "cav aloo", which is cavolo nero, a type of kale, and potatoes. So I refute the kale bashing, kale can be good.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Kale is fine.

• Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    I made my coffee into a Bad Food this morning by allowing my dunked biscuit to soak in said coffee for about 50ms longer than usual, creating a sort of coffee cereal.

Things are off to a great start!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    knitdan wrote: »

While libraries are magical and powerful places, I'd put an amorphous cloud of internet weirdos up against any five reference librarians you can name for queries like "that one food asshole, you know."
    I'm tempted to buy/wishlist Matty's book, because I made something of his from the Munchies YouTube channel and it was Really Really Good

Speaking of magical and powerful, if you want to check it out before you buy, the ebook is available on Hoopla, and both of the local library systems have it on Overdrive. Don't know what you're working with locally, but your odds seem good.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

I don't know what "escarole" is so I always used kale when making this, and it's been a favorite for a while.

https://www.seriouseats.com/hearty-escarole-barley-parmesan-soup-recipe

I was going to say kale is good in this country-style kielbasa & potato soup from Cook's Illustrated that I make, but it's leeks, not kale.

TLDR: Kale sucks.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    Kale looks way cooler than it is, but I will give it props for working in the zuppa toscana recipe we've used around here for the past decade or so.

What I am saying is that I've found one recipe in 10+ years where it works pretty well, and I'm pretty sure it's just impersonating spinach under a sea of cream in that recipe anyways

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

While libraries are magical and powerful places, I'd put an amorphous cloud of internet weirdos up against any five reference librarians you can name for queries like "that one food asshole, you know."

Speaking of magical and powerful, if you want to check it out before you buy, the ebook is available on Hoopla, and both of the local library systems have it on Overdrive. Don't know what you're working with locally, but your odds seem good.

Thanks! I'll see if I can figure that out.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    One of my favourite meals is a beef kofta curry with "cav aloo", which is cavolo nero, a type of kale, and potatoes. So I refute the kale bashing, kale can be good.

Yeah kale is great cooked, but not raw, in a drink.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    My main experience of kale to date is as non-edible, purely decorative greens on a salad bar (which I used to maintain, and tear down at the end of every night).
    I suspect that may in fact be the best use for it.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Kale is good, chicories are good, bitter greens are good, these are my Opinions.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Kale is good, chicories are good, bitter greens are good, these are my Opinions.

Arugula got that nice peppery hint to it, good stuff too

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I find both kale and arugula too unpleasant and overpowering of a flavor to mix with anything, it feels like I'm wasting the effort of making the thing its overshadowing. But they are very good as heavily sauced salads, or pesto

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Y'all need to be making more bubble and squeak.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Re: kale

9c9an0uutc2o.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I really hate that brussels sprouts grow like that. I don't know what I was picturing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    are all the varieties of brassica oleracea human-bred or are they wild variations

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Man, I really hate that brussels sprouts grow like that. I don't know what I was picturing.

Therockr1critpic5.jpg

• Options

They often sell them still on the spike! Or raceme. Or whatever its called.

Look, its been a long time since I did botany.

This discussion has been closed.