As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] The Crown of Charon - The Eviscerator

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I noted what appear to be three different sets of blocks moving in this room:

1 - when Dang entered first, he saw a "black block" begin to lower.
    2 - when Lorian entered last, an "onyx block" came down behind her, cutting off the way we came in and with a magic seal.
    3 - the six coral pillars are sinking quickly. Each has a different monstrous mosaic made of broken protective rings, and the pillars all have square holes above the mosaics.

Are 1 and 2 the same block? Is there a second black slab still coming down somewhere in the room?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    You each have an extra action this round! Make the most of it and don't be afraid to ask questions or recheck the thread

.......... why does this advice fill me with dread?

Lady Lorian smiles at the Lamia opponent, brandishes her blade with a bit of a flourish, and then stabs!

Geth roll 1d20+10 for Rapier hit
    Geth roll 1d8+5 for maybe Rapier damage

She does a half twirl, enchanting her blade, and thrusts again!

Geth roll 1d20+10 for more important Rapier hit
    Geth roll 1d8+5 for maybe 2nd Rapier damage
    Geth roll 2d8 for maybe Thunder damage
    Geth roll 3d8 for maybe Thunder damage if it moves

I'm gonna see the state of the Lamia after this, and then take a second action.

Rapier hit:
    1d20+10 14 [1d20=4]
    maybe Rapier damage:
    1d8+5 10 [1d8=5]
    more important Rapier hit:
    1d20+10 21 [1d20=11]
    maybe 2nd Rapier damage:
    1d8+5 8 [1d8=3]
    maybe Thunder damage:
    2d8 11 [2d8=8, 3]
    maybe Thunder damage if it moves:
    3d8 15 [3d8=2, 8, 5]

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I noted what appear to be three different sets of blocks moving in this room:

1 - when Dang entered first, he saw a "black block" begin to lower.
    2 - when Lorian entered last, an "onyx block" came down behind her, cutting off the way we came in and with a magic seal.
    3 - the six coral pillars are sinking quickly. Each has a different monstrous mosaic made of broken protective rings, and the pillars all have square holes above the mosaics.

Are 1 and 2 the same block? Is there a second black slab still coming down somewhere in the room?

1 and 2 are the same block. That's just your obligatory "The way is shut" door.

The lamia slithers to one side, avoiding Lorian's first attack. As she begins to cast her spell, her opponent hisses fiercely, making a quick set of motions with her hands. Countermagic!

Roll Arcana!

Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Counterspell duel.

Counterspell duel:
    1d20+8 26 [1d20=18]

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited May 2022
    Geth LOVES this Lamia

Geth roll 1d20+10

MUAHAHAHA

1d20+10 29 [1d20=19]

kime on
    Steam profile
    The counterspell is bypassed, Lorian's blade booming with thunder as it pierces the lamia's hide again, wounded in several places.

@The Brayster is up next!

Hail Hydra
    Are we doing our second actions all at once, or everyone does one action then everyone does the second? 'cause I haven't taken my second yet. I'mm poke poke poke some more with my pointy thing

Steam profile
    Should be still during your turn. Brayster doesn't post till the wee hours, so you're still good to take your extra action.

Hail Hydra
    Should be still during your turn. Brayster doesn't post till the wee hours, so you're still good to take your extra action.

Gotcha. k then, basically the same thing! Stab stab Booming Blade etc. Not gonna describe it as again, it's the same moves as last action. I think this is my max potential DPS for one target if I don't wanna use spell slots?

Geth roll 1d20+10 for Rapier hit
    Geth roll 1d8+5 for maybe Rapier damage
    Geth roll 1d20+10 for more important Rapier hit
    Geth roll 1d8+5 for maybe 2nd Rapier damage
    Geth roll 2d8 for maybe Thunder damage
    Geth roll 3d8 for maybe Thunder damage if it moves

Rapier hit:
    1d20+10 28 [1d20=18]
    maybe Rapier damage:
    1d8+5 8 [1d8=3]
    more important Rapier hit:
    1d20+10 30 [1d20=20]
    maybe 2nd Rapier damage:
    1d8+5 8 [1d8=3]
    maybe Thunder damage:
    2d8 10 [2d8=2, 8]
    maybe Thunder damage if it moves:
    3d8 11 [3d8=7, 2, 2]

Steam profile
    Yo.....uh......wanna rethink getting purple with that prose....? *glances towards the first page*

KNEE DEEP IN THE DEAD ACTIVATES, ADDING 13 PIERCING DAMAGE AND 16 THUNDER DAMAGE TO LORIAN'S ATTACK

Hail Hydra
    Oh hey those are some nice rolls huh. The one time I slack on narration :lol:

Lady Lorian

Lorian openly laughs at the Lamia ghost-thing. Its attempts to counter her magic were powerful, but this was the Lady's stage. This blending of steel and magic is what truly shows that Lorian is better than the others. She deserves their respect and admiration, because she excels where others fail. And of course, she wasn't even trying yet, not having truly sunk into the depths of her Bladesong dance. It wasn't really necessary for such small enemies as these.

Spurred on from her last hit, feeling energize, Lady Lorian gives the Lamia a brief bow. Not as though to an equal, but the type that just shows you think little of them. Then her blade flashes out, faster than most eyes could follow. It strikes true. Her enemy clearly fading, Lorian brings her blade back close to her head, and whispers once more--for the final time, this fight--the incantation to send her rapier humming with energy. Then, with a look of wild energy in her eyes (this dance was pure joy, per excitement for Lorian, and without beginning her Bladesong she sometimes lacked the focus to keep her composure as refined as normal), Lorian stabbed forward again, straight center into the chest of the Lamia. She held her blade there a moment as the magic hum of the blade began to tear away her enemy's flesh, then pulled it back and spun into a pose, blade at her side.

I feel like no Glory Kill benefit from this though, as it should be before the roll? Was fun to describe anyways. Gonna be awkward if the Lamia survived but pretty sure that should be it :D

Steam profile
    It's totally it. Take a 2nd wind off the recovery

Lorian's rapier rips out of the lamia easily, it's black heart impaled on the tip of her blade as the monster begins to melt into foul smelling water draining into the grated floor, it's death cries echoing through the chamber.

Hail Hydra
    It's totally it. Take a 2nd wind off the recovery

Lorian's rapier rips out of the lamia easily, it's black heart impaled on the tip of her blade as the monster begins to melt into foul smelling water draining into the grated floor, it's death cries echoing through the chamber.

OK then! I can use the healz

Geth roll 1d6+13 for Glory Kill recovery

Glory:
    1d6+13 15 [1d6=2]

Steam profile
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Brayster doesn't post till the wee hours

Excuse me, I post at normal daylight times, you guys post in the wee hours! (I kid)

Unsure of what else to do, Azara begins to scan her surroundings for any clues. Any clues at all.

Geth, roll 1d20+2+2 for investigation

investigation:
    1d20+2+2 22 [1d20=18]

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    The only things that remain a mystery are the wrappings of the other blasphemer, the divots in the monolith tops, and the magical seal holding the skull’s mouth closed

Hail Hydra
    Somethings come up that means I might not be able to post for a while, rather than slow down the game with blind fumbling and waiting, just treat that as the end of my turn

the wrappings of the other blasphemer
    Oh no. Luckily Brygos has proven to be unable to read anything on the first one, so it won't be me pulling down more monsters if anyone decides to check them. :wink:

Now that we know the pits are filed with spikes, could someone find room to hop down to check if any rods are conspicuously square-shaped?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy pointed out the rods to everyone, because to him they might be Rods of Cancellation. Meaning could be used the on arcane seal to break it.

It's up to you Bursar, your turn since I'm fresh out of monsters this round!

Hail Hydra
    Brygos attempts to gently lower himself into the pit Thane pointed out and pull out a few Rods of Cancellation for the others to use on everything they can think of.

I'll throw out an Athletics check to save time, since that sounds appropriate.
    Geth roll 1d20+9 for Pit Climbing

Pit Climbing:
    1d20+9 25 [1d20=16]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Brygos nimbly descends into the pit. It would've been a nasty fall to take had any of the creatures tried to launch you into them, but fortunately they seemed to be content with sundering your bodies and minds themselves. Once in the pit, he finds the rods snap quite easily in his grasp, the magical light it emits starting to spark and stutter.

Hail Hydra
    I figure that was two actions (climb in and start smashing rods like a bull in a very speciesist metaphor, how dare you), so we're on to @fadingathedges ?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    I mean, figured climbing down there was a move and breaking off a couple rods was an action. If you want to do some else quick, be my guest. Otherwise, go @fadingathedges

Hail Hydra
    While he's breaking rods, Brygos will toss them out of the pit in case there's some use for the sputtering, broken magical items.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    @fadingathedges solve everything for us! :P

Steam profile
    Roll to solve the puzzle!

• fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Sorry! The notifications got buried in others and I didn't realize I have been the holdup!

Thane will cast Dispel Magic at 3rd level on the seal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBBgyelMrSA

The skull lets out a maniacal cackle as the jaw falls open and six metal cubes clatter out onto the floor. Each is marked with a different single digit.

The Monoliths begin grinding again as they descend towards being flush with the floor.

@AustinP0027 , it's you friendo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

Hail Hydra
    gasp, square things!

Steam profile
    edited May 2022
    I think Thane has another action, if I remember right?
    (Sorry if this sounds picky, but you got me paranoid, Matev! Time might be of supreme importance!)

Huh. What do we think the order should be? Alphabetical by monster name?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited May 2022
    not all, happy answer particulars as I can provide them. Thane does indeed have an extra action and then that’ll be the end of that round!

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    Bursar wrote: »
    I think Thane has another action, if I remember right?
    (Sorry if this sounds picky, but you got me paranoid, Matev! Time might be of supreme importance!)

Huh. What do we think the order should be? Alphabetical by monster name?

Possibly.

Matev, are the single digits just 1-6?

Steam profile
    edited May 2022
    OK, puzzle recap.
    Columns:
    a) Skeleton
    b) Succubus
    c) Erinyes
    d) Green Slime
    e) Glabrezou
    f) Dracolisk

Assuming the cubes are 1-6, it looks like we need to find an order.

My previous starter guess/info:
    So, huge assumption here but the Erebus word from the people in the floor is what I'm trying to key everything off of (might be a waste, could be an answer to something in the future).

Tried a bunch of crap, but only one thing actually hit in terms of maybe lining up. Letter in Erebus needs to be in the creature type on the pillar.

Example table:
    E Skeleton, Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou
    R Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou, Dracolisk
    E Skeleton, Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou
    B Succubus, Glabrezou
    U Succubus, Glabrezou
    S Skeleton, Succubus, Erinyes, Green Slime, Dracolisk

I was hoping there was a button to press in each one, but that looks wrong, so I'm not sure how you set the order. Also, don't have the specific order, just a narrowing down of them (for example, B and U only fit 2 creatures and Dracolisk only fits 2.

fading's response
    ERinyes skEleton succuBUS has the letters in the right numerical positions - but grEen slime could also sub in for skeleton, and it leaves some unused stuff so IDK.

Now that we see it's 6 cubes, looks like we need to use all of them.

I'm going with:
    1 - E - Skeleton
    2 - R - Erinyes
    3 - E - Green Slime
    4 - B - Succubus
    5 - U - Glabrezou
    6 - S - Dracolisk

So, cube number, goes into pillar in that order. Started with the ones that had limited places they could go and just filled in the rest. Still feels like there is more to this (as it was a lot of guess work)

AustinP0027 on
    As someone who has contributed absolutely nothing of value to the puzzle, I say just go for it.

Far better to try than do nothing.

@fadingathedges still has another action on this turn, so they could try it out.

If that doesn't work, then it's back to me, so I can probably try some other combination.

Wait! I think there's a better order.

1 - E - Erinyes
    2 - R - Dracolisk
    3 - E - Skeleton
    4 - B - Glabrezou
    5 - U - Succubus
    6 - S - Green Slime

I put the numbers right in there, and completely whiffed it.

Numbers, to the letter, and that SPOT in the monster name to get the order.

edited May 2022
    The numbers are 1-6, correct ie The 1s cube has 1 on all it's faces, the 2s cube has 2s, etc.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    Wait! I think there's a better order.

1 - E - Erinyes
    2 - R - Dracolisk
    3 - E - Skeleton
    4 - B - Glabrezou
    5 - U - Succubus
    6 - S - Green Slime

I put the numbers right in there, and completely whiffed it.

Numbers, to the letter, and that SPOT in the monster name to get the order.

Oh, wow, I really like this idea. It accounts for all the monsters and has the proper number of letters.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Thane will use his extra action to Mage Hand the 6 into the Green Slime's square socket.

The cube clinks into the socket as the ethereal hand zips across the room.

Hail Hydra
    edited May 2022
    That make it back to me?

And if so, can I only put one in or can I try more?

AustinP0027 on