As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movies]: Violence Edition

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    Are we decided on Riddlerite as the term for a Riddler goon?

Because if not, I'd like to submit Riddlerino

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Rediddler

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    That just sounds like a serial diddler...

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    The Cereal Diddler is Condiment King's very unpleasant sidekick

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    Atomika wrote: »
    Rediddler

Re-diddly-iddler.

The Ned Flanders guest appearance I never knew I wanted.

GiantGeek2020 on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Rediddler

Re-diddly-iddler.

Ned as the Riddler vs Homer as batman (some how having stolen burns wealth) sounds like a great Halloween short

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Rediddler

Re-diddly-iddler.

Ned as the Riddler vs Homer as batman (some how having stolen burns wealth) sounds like a great Halloween short

Ned: Riddle me thi...
    Homer cold cocks him and proceeds to beat Ned to a pulp for 15 minutes straight.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Rediddler

Re-diddly-iddler.

Homer cold cocks him and proceeds to beat Ned to a pulp for 15 minutes straight.

That sounds more like a Family Guy bit…

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Rediddler

Re-diddly-iddler.

That sounds more like a Family Guy bit…

No for Family guy they'd need to cut away and then randomly cut back three times throughout the episode while they do the other shorts.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    In the end it doesn't matter why Batman or Spiderman do what they do. They're a force for good. Not to mention the why will change all the time, even in the same story.

Of course it matters. The movies are constructed around their point of view. You are supposed to feel different things from one to the other.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The Northman is one metal film.

wVEsyIc.png
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I read some reviews by some ethnonationalist claiming it was a red pilled film, and finally a movie that speaks to them.
    So I was wondering, is it just a good movie that they happen to like a lot because of vikings and shit, or does it have all the toxic stuff that they like ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

I read some reviews by some ethnonationalist claiming it was a red pilled film, and finally a movie that speaks to them.
    So I was wondering, is it just a good movie that they happen to like a lot because of vikings and shit, or does it have all the toxic stuff that they like ?

The Nazis and their descendants appropriated Norse iconography and mythology, so they're probably just applauding that shit being on-screen.

Given Eggars' commitment to historical accuracy and general themes of his films, I can safely assure you any praise an ethnonationalist is heaping on the film is as facile as the chuds who decided "red-pilled," a phrase from a film by transwomen about rebelling against a system of indoctrination and control, would be a fine way to describe "waking up" to alt-right ideology. They're focusing on the style, not the substance.

DarkPrimus on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

I haven’t seen it but given previews I would bet on a little of both. Though it is very possible that the latter is in fact due to a comprehension issue a lot of them have in regards to what the media they consume actually means.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I'm not sure what that means, but it felt like it was very respectful to Viking traditions while not shying away from the uglier aspects. I especially enjoyed all the Norse mythology references, like hpw they incorporated Valkyries and Valhalla.

Also, like usual, Anya Taylor Joy is a badass. There's aspects of this movie that felt like it was a Demon's Souls adaptation.

wVEsyIc.png
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The Nazis and their descendants appropriated Norse iconography and mythology, so they're probably just applauding that shit being on-screen.

Given Eggars' commitment to historical accuracy and general themes of his films, I can safely assure you any praise an ethnonationalist is heaping on the film is as facile as the chuds who decided "red-pilled," a phrase from a film by transwomen about rebelling against a system of indoctrination and control, would be a fine way to describe "waking up" to alt-right ideology. They're focusing on the style, not the substance.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was asking, since Im not familiar with the director I wasnt sure.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    Yeah Norse Mythology and Nazis is like Micheal Bolton in office space, why should they change because those assholes suck. Its not like the vikings were nazis, though they were pretty awful people.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Like I think people forget what the actual Vikings did a lot of the time. It wasn't all long homes and Valhalla, they literally raped and pillaged a lot, emphasis on the rape part.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Like I think people forget what the actual Vikings did a lot of the time. It wasn't all long homes and Valhalla, they literally raped and pillaged a lot, emphasis on the rape part.

Northman absolutely does not shy away from that.

wVEsyIc.png

Good to know. But like a lot of historical things are kind of like steampunk a setting ignoring the actual history of things.

Like there aren't a lot of Rosy movies made about European Colonization. Or shit Samurai movies tend to ignore a lot of Samurai were absolute bastards themselves.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The Northman actually struck me as a pretty stark meditation on the harm hypermasculinity does when it becomes the primary virtue of a society. Like a lot of the characters are case studies on how people survive a culture that prioritizes manliness and honor above everything else, especially people who aren't capable of really achieving those values. The women, obviously, but also the neurodivergent men, the sickly men, the feminine men. What do they do so they don't drown? And even the man who can embody those virtues: what toll does it take on his humanity?

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Good to know. But like a lot of historical things are kind of like steampunk a setting ignoring the actual history of things.

Like there aren't a lot of Rosy movies made about European Colonization. Or shit Samurai movies tend to ignore a lot of Samurai were absolute bastards themselves.

Lets not forget the American Cowboys.

Far from the rugged individual, they where usually a bunch of cowherders working for a ranchowner for shit wages in hard conditions. Most towns hated it when the cowboys showed up because they where a bunch of drunk whoring thugs working for the local strongmen. Like we consider Hells Angels and other "outlaw" bikers today. They where also a lot more POC than Hollywood would have you belive, with 20-25% being black and another 20-30% being Latino.

The wearing guns on your hip in town was strictly forbidden most places and proof that you where up to no good if you did.

The number one cause of death was getting you boot stuck in the saddle and being dragged to death by your own horse. If that didn't do you in, the fact that you spent your days ridding a horse would do a number on your hips and back.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Lets not forget the American Cowboys.

Far from the rugged individual, they where usually a bunch of cowherders working for a ranchowner for shit wages in hard conditions. Most towns hated it when the cowboys showed up because they where a bunch of drunk whoring thugs working for the local strongmen. Like we consider Hells Angels and other "outlaw" bikers today. They where also a lot more POC than Hollywood would have you belive, with 20-25% being black and another 20-30% being Latino.

The wearing guns on your hip in town was strictly forbidden most places and proof that you where up to no good if you did.

The number one cause of death was getting you boot stuck in the saddle and being dragged to death by your own horse. If that didn't do you in, the fact that you spent your days ridding a horse would do a number on your hips and back.

Yeah the american western is pretty much a fantasy like Lord of The Rings. Like train robberies and bank robberies etc were incredibly rare and certainly not the everyday occurrence holly wood would have you believe.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Mocking people with disabilities or conditions is good.
    Just generally speaking the west looked vastly different than the western genre imagines it.

For instance, roughly 50% of western settlers were born outside of the US, and were often not American citizens. So like you've got a lot of early settlements that are Swedish, or German, or Italian etc., with very little shared identity with other groups nor any sort of American identification.
    And while there Chinese and Asian immigrants on the west coast and building railroads, there's also plenty working in factories in cities like New Orleans. Further in the west you've also got a lot of shared commerce with native groups that went on for decades, and as mentioned above a lot of iconically American figures like cowboys were very racially mixed.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    I wasn't hugely into The Northman, but it is in no way a right wing movie. If internet fascists like it, it's just because they love Vikings for stupid reasons, not because the movie was meant to appeal to them or because Eggers shares their ideology at all.

This is apparently just a thing they worked on to set the mood, but damn does it have me excited.

2zgtttjxk4cl.png

https://theguest2.bandcamp.com/

Simon Barrett too, apparently.

wVEsyIc.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Violence whenever someone says something we don't like is good.
    good lord I want Top Gun 2

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

That was pretty standard operating procedure in that era

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Fred Ward, who has been in everything, but who most will know from Remo Williams and the Tremors series, passed away.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    We seem to be going through another Great Stuhlbarg Incursion, not unlike the transmedia cross-rip we were hit with back in 2009

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    We seem to be going through another Great Stuhlbarg Incursion, not unlike the transmedia cross-rip we were hit with back in 2009

*nods head intently*

He’s got seven projects coming out this year

That’s nuts

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I bet the Stonecutters are behind this.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ngl I had to IMDB Michael Stuhlbarg and all I came away with was "I guess he was in Boardwalk Empire?"

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I found Stuhlbarg heartbreaking in Call Me By Your Name, and he's generally very good in parts that are the opposite of showy. He can be the secret MVP in films, with a quality not entirely dissimilar to Richard Jenkins, though Jenkins tends to have a bit more of an unpleasant edge much of the time.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
    Fred Ward, who has been in everything, but who most will know from Remo Williams and the Tremors series, passed away.

I still love this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh4Kx9IqIZw

Stuhlbarg is fantastic in A Serious Man, one of the Coens’ best

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
    He was rather good as Arnold Rothstein in Boardwalk Empire

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I still love this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh4Kx9IqIZw

god the pirouetting

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    R.I.P Fred, you were a man of commitment

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
This discussion has been closed.