As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Made a vegetarian meatball sub. It was damn tasty. Meatballs are from the specialty section of the store so its pretty damn easy to make. It'll go into weeknight dinner rotation for sure.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Reminds me, meatless substitutes (impossible meat or beyond) are both advanced enough to use in “meatloaf” straight up. I made a smoked “meatloaf” using impossible ground meat last month and it came out a treat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I got bored of never seeing sambal balado for sale for the past.. I don't know, 15 years? For some reason something that used to be everywhere and was great to be dolloped into pasta sauce was no longer around. So I finally duckduckgo'd it, found this that goes on for a lot longer than I have thus far, and made it.

It's fucking delicious and I'm putting it on everything.

I changed it up because recipes are for chumps, so I used 5 jalapenos, 10 birds eyes, and pasata instead of a tomato, and because they didn't say how many, two kaffir lime leaves. The result is very kaffir-ey after being in the fridge for a bit, which is delicious but probably too much and I'll put one in next time. But yea, it's a fresh, bright, delicious way to add spice to pretty much anything and super easy to make.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    s7svfr7v2cc6.jpg

My new whole sale All Clad 5 Ply Copper Core saute pan is pretty good. It feels nice to be able to cook evenly across the whole surface.

I will refer to it as Excalibur.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

I'm going to try making this tomorrow

I don't have gluten free dough sadly so I think I'll wipe clarified butter all over the inside of my tagine, layer the ingredients, and hope!

• Options
    daaaaaamn this is good

next time I'll cut back a bit on the basmati rice and dried apricots and up the amount of onion and dried tart cherries

i2nwoys5dgvq.jpg

elox93ear7oo.jpg

b1fyqqaw07zy.jpg

I made enough for 20 people

oh well!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Goddamn, them threads though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Chestnut gnocchi and black forest ham tonight

5cb6kfnadsnd.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    and tonight it's steak with braised endive

35kc3a8no8y5.jpg

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Finally busted out the air fryer. The four quart size is a little prohibitive but otherwise I love it. I made Brussels sprouts (ok) fried fingerling potatoes (decent but didn't get good seasoning coating so some were powdery, also over salted a little too much. Next time I'll pat dry everything) and chicken thighs. I will never make chicken thighs any other way again unless it's going in some kind of stew. I've never been able to successfully pan sear them in a way I've been entirely happy with. But air frying? Fuckin A, dawgies that was some good chicken.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

I'm going to try making this tomorrow

I don't have gluten free dough sadly so I think I'll wipe clarified butter all over the inside of my tagine, layer the ingredients, and hope!

Corn tortillas, my friend.

• Options
    I made red lintel daal tonight!

9lpu4y56glo1.jpg

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Finally busted out the air fryer. The four quart size is a little prohibitive but otherwise I love it. I made Brussels sprouts (ok) fried fingerling potatoes (decent but didn't get good seasoning coating so some were powdery, also over salted a little too much. Next time I'll pat dry everything) and chicken thighs. I will never make chicken thighs any other way again unless it's going in some kind of stew. I've never been able to successfully pan sear them in a way I've been entirely happy with. But air frying? Fuckin A, dawgies that was some good chicken.

How did you prep the chicken thighs? I would like to know your secrets.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Shit I never thought about putting thighs in the air fryer. I bet that works fantastic, since you basically can't overcook them, and air fryers are pretty prone to that without constant supervision.

• Options
    I wish I could be trusted with an air fryer :(

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

How did you prep the chicken thighs? I would like to know your secrets.

Basically just find a seasoning you like. This batch I think I did smoked paprika, a little cumin, oregano and onion and garlic powder. I usually put them in a plastic bag and just squish em around until they're good and coated and let them sit for 20 minutes but typically the longer they can marinate the better. I also added about a tablespoon of cornstarch. You could use arrowroot starch or regular old flour to the same effect I think. Gets them extra crispy.

My other go to chicken thigh seasoning is a garlic honey sauce but I haven't made them with the fryer yet. I'd probably air fry the chicken thighs first and then mix honey, garlic, soy sauce and a little rice wine vinegar in a pan until its bubbly, add a little corn starch to thicken and then pour that over the fried thighs.

• Options
    Thanks! How long to cook for you?

• Options
    I did 380°F (193°C) for about 10-12 per side.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I actually bought chicken thighs with the intention of air frying them for the first time so this is some very helpful info!

Also I realized I can make rice pudding in my instant pot. Highly recommend.

• Options
    behold my bountiful wine cap harvest!

0swa7tlgwoao.jpeg

o1qftq7xf0j6.jpg

they're actually really good! I can't quite put my finger on it, but they're vaguely familiar

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I bought a cookbook from America's Test Kitchen called The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook and most of the dishes look great, but every other recipe has saffron in it. They fucking love saffron.

I'm sure I can just omit it but seriously fuck off with the saffron, it's crazy expensive. There's no need to have SO MANY recipes with saffron in it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Tell me you don't shop/pay for you own ingredients without telling me..."

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Saffron is, famously, worth more than its weight in gold

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I bought a cookbook from America's Test Kitchen called The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook and most of the dishes look great, but every other recipe has saffron in it. They fucking love saffron.

I'm sure I can just omit it but seriously fuck off with the saffron, it's crazy expensive. There's no need to have SO MANY recipes with saffron in it.

How much can a saffron cost, Michael? 10 dollars?

(It's not wildly expensive here, but also, you rarely need it for a given dish. Like, yes, it has specific uses, and I'll happily use it, but it's not a magic remedy).

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Does saffron taste like anything, or does it just make stuff yellow?

Taya on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it supposedly has a flavor but all the text descriptions of it I'm reading are basically useless

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It definitely has a strong and noticeable taste and it's worth it if you can get it but it is expensive so it's definitely more in a "special occasion" category than an "eat it all the time" kind of category.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I will point out though that yes it is expensive, but you need so little of it in dishes that it lasts a long time.

Usually you only use like 2-3 threads per cook.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My medieval lit professor had a rule where you could skip one essay in the semester if you did a non-writing project that was interesting and medieval.

I found some medieval recipes and cooked them for the class. Except for one kind of eggy pie that called for saffron. I found the saffron threads at HEB and nearly passed out from the sticker shock, and substituted tumeric instead.

The professor gave me a B- for bringing some decent treats to class but being too much of a coward to commit to the bit, which I respect.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I need to know more about the eggy pie

• Options
    So Good.

88lyemeug4ml.jpg

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So Good.

*img_snip*

RIBS!
    oh my god yes.

Making me want to smoke up ribs and maybe also brisket in June.

I found a technique online of using butcher paper and impregnating the paper with either pork lard or beef tallow (matching the meat) and then wrapping the smoke to get over the 160f stall and I so badly want to do it with a full brisket. The ribs I did once came out some of the best ever that I've had.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So Good.

*img_snip*

RIBS!
    oh my god yes.

Do it!

• Options
    I made vegetable korma and it turned out damn good

bgjcaku6drpo.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    So Good.

*img_snip*

RIBS!
    oh my god yes.

I found a technique online of using butcher paper and impregnating the paper with either pork lard or beef tallow (matching the meat) and then wrapping the smoke to get over the 160f stall and I so badly want to do it with a full brisket. The ribs I did once came out some of the best ever that I've had.

The tallow itself doesn’t strictly stop the stall. I’ve found it better to spray with Apple cider (or anything water based) and then pour tallow right on top of it. That and the brisket should be shedding enough fat to seal the paper. I’d also be careful with wrapping at 160 that might be a bit early and you might wash your bark off, usually people aim for until the bark is set which is more 170-180F.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    So Good.

*img_snip*

RIBS!
    oh my god yes.

The tallow itself doesn’t strictly stop the stall. I’ve found it better to spray with Apple cider (or anything water based) and then pour tallow right on top of it. That and the brisket should be shedding enough fat to seal the paper. I’d also be careful with wrapping at 160 that might be a bit early and you might wash your bark off, usually people aim for until the bark is set which is more 170-180F.

Yeah it's a tricky balance, but I find the stall for me happens between about 148-155. Once evaporative cooling stops then it's a relatively quick linear push up to 190+

With ribs, I usually do the 3-2-1 method (3 hours bare, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour bare) then finish with a quick sear on my gas grill. Before I do the sear, I'll usually do a quick baste of half the ribs in bbq and leave the other half bare. Insert your own "sweet but saucy" and "bare naked" jokes here :wink:

I've wrapped briskets before, especially one particular one that just refused to break past the stall and I was coming up on a deadline to feed a crowd of people for dinner that night but generally I just try to plan extra time and hold it warm so I calculate the time based on weight I need to cook it in the smoker and add 3-4 hours. If it finishes early, I can put it in a foil tray, cover with more foil then toss in my little mini cooler with some tea towels and it'll stay hot for several hours.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I love my massive all clad copper core saute pan but holy shit is the handle comically uncomfortable. It's six quart so you're not really moving the thing around, but still.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I need to find another non stick skillet =/

I don't even think I've had it a year and the 'ceramic' coating is peeling off

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Did Italian soup complete with Farro
    8yo1bftijzxp.jpg

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    So Good.

*img_snip*

RIBS!
    oh my god yes.

Yeah it's a tricky balance, but I find the stall for me happens between about 148-155. Once evaporative cooling stops then it's a relatively quick linear push up to 190+

With ribs, I usually do the 3-2-1 method (3 hours bare, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour bare) then finish with a quick sear on my gas grill. Before I do the sear, I'll usually do a quick baste of half the ribs in bbq and leave the other half bare. Insert your own "sweet but saucy" and "bare naked" jokes here :wink:

I've wrapped briskets before, especially one particular one that just refused to break past the stall and I was coming up on a deadline to feed a crowd of people for dinner that night but generally I just try to plan extra time and hold it warm so I calculate the time based on weight I need to cook it in the smoker and add 3-4 hours. If it finishes early, I can put it in a foil tray, cover with more foil then toss in my little mini cooler with some tea towels and it'll stay hot for several hours.

Thank you both for the advice and information.

I wasn't perfectly clear in my meaning, I do know that fat itself doesn't strictly affect the stall. What I like the fat for is to keep "juiciness" up by just making sure the brisket is covered in fat stained paper as it finishes cooking up to the final temp. That and added flavor because you better believe the lard/tallow is sitting in the smoker next to the meats as they cook up to whenever I'm gonna wrap them.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.