As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I notice that death by being eaten becomes pretty common in these laserdisc games.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I actually own the Saturn version of Brain Dead 13, and I still think of quotes from it all the time.

Average? AVERAGE? I AM NOT AVERAGE!

Fritz! KIEEELL HEEEM

wVEsyIc.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Wow, that is violent, he gets done like the bounty hunter in Quick & The Dead.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Wow, that is violent, he gets done like the bounty hunter in Quick & The Dead.

It is like this absurd anime western.

Fritz having hooks for hands made no real sense. Somehow he could use his weapons.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    It is like this absurd anime western.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqOK8EPsNDI

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Fritz having hooks for hands made no real sense. Somehow he could use his weapons.

Best part of BD13 is Vivi's salon.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

The Vivi section was, uh, formative when I was 12.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

https://youtu.be/v0LPEbjisWI

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Taramoor wrote: »

https://youtu.be/v0LPEbjisWI

Vivi's own mortifier beautifier! Comes with an afterlife guarantee.

The first time I did that segment, I had no idea why I kept having to do segments over and over. It doesn't end until you pick facial... also, the manicure section is a nightmare.

wVEsyIc.png
    I will have to check into Dungeons and Dragons on the Genesis. Apparently, there were cool things on the Genesis that the SNES did not get.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons:_Warriors_of_the_Eternal_Sun

edited May 2022
    That is the NES version. For some reason, gog is using that video for the PC version. The PC version actually looks better.

Good luck finding a physical copy of Thayer's Quest. Yeesh.

Krathoon on
    Ah. The PC port of Thayer's Quest is on Steam.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I now have added that to my wishlist. The videos posted here made me want it now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

I now have added that to my wishlist. The videos posted here made me want it now.

It looks like the video is shrunken down in that version, but still good. I guess the sequel is abandonware.

edited May 2022
    Hrmm. My PS4 is having trouble reading DVDs. I am trying it out in the XBox One. Not quite retro, but annoying.

It is not that old.

Of course, I have to update the XBox One because I have not played it since ancient times.

Krathoon on
    edited May 2022
    The PC port of Thayer's Quest has different voice acting. Some say it is better.
    The dvd of the original is hard to come by.
    I do see it is on archive.org. Digital Leisure may not like that.

The sequel on the PC actually completes the story that was not finished in the arcade.
    It is cheap on eBay. Also on archive.org.

The PC games are more like a remake. It is by the same guy that did the arcade version.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Dyer_(video_game_designer)

Remember this one?
    https://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-hologram-time-traveller/
    https://youtu.be/ZI6h0Sg73yw

Krathoon on
    Man, I remember that hologram game. The thing cost a ton of money to even try. A huge crowd would gather whenever someone actually had the guts to put quarters in at the local arcade. Then they'd die in like 3 minutes and everyone would disperse again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Man, I remember that hologram game. The thing cost a ton of money to even try. A huge crowd would gather whenever someone actually had the guts to put quarters in at the local arcade. Then they'd die in like 3 minutes and everyone would disperse again.

Yeah. It can be emulated now. It was totally a gimmick. Not really worth the money.

I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 2 and I can confirm the pacing is still awful. Walk down a hall, get a 10 minute cutscene, walk down another hall, get a 15 minute cutscene. Let me play the game. When I can finally play around, the attention to detail is amazing. I have wasted more ammo clips shooting objects in the environment like melons and plates than shooting enemies. And then you can keep and throw the empty ammo clips! What other stealth game lets you do that?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 2 and I can confirm the pacing is still awful. Walk down a hall, get a 10 minute cutscene, walk down another hall, get a 15 minute cutscene. Let me play the game. When I can finally play around, the attention to detail is amazing. I have wasted more ammo clips shooting objects in the environment like melons and plates than shooting enemies. And then you can keep and throw the empty ammo clips! What other stealth game lets you do that?

MGS2 even has a 45-minute codec conversation that doesn't even give you an actual cutscene to watch, to add insult to injury.

But yeah, when it lets you play it, it's good. But it's no MGS3.

Aaaaand now I'm sad (again) that MGS HD Collection never got a PC release. A legit copy on Steam would be *chef kiss*

Jazz on
    Yeah. All of the MGS games need to be on PC to preserve them better.

edited May 2022
    Yeah. All of the MGS games need to be on PC to preserve them better.

The irony that arguably the best preservation of old MGS games is on Xbox, when it's a series near-synonymous with PlayStation, is kind of amazing.

Although it'd be better if Konami pulled their fingers out with the FMV licensing so MGS 2&3 HD was actually available to buy again digitally on Xbox, but... who am I kidding, it's Konami. But a second-hand disc copy will still work if your Xbox has an optical drive.

Edit: I'm forgetting that the PC ports of original 1 & 2 are on GOG, at least.

Jazz on
    MGS2 is a land of contrasts. So much TLC was invested in this game to the point where you shoot ice cubes out of a pitcher and the cubes will melt slowly but this game also requires you to hold down three buttons to move while aiming.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

MGS2 even has a 45-minute codec conversation that doesn't even give you an actual cutscene to watch, to add insult to injury.

But yeah, when it lets you play it, it's good. But it's no MGS3.

I'm glad MGS2 is no MGS3, as then it would be a bad boring game.

uyvfOQy.png
    MGS3 is best MGS. Followed closely by MGS1.

I keep on reading MGS as MSG for some reason.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I recognize MGS 2 as having a large amount of cleverness about how it goes down. I also maintain that as a story, it's pretty, pretty dogshit and shows off some of Kojima's worst flaws as a storyteller, front and center. "We have replaced all of the competent storytelling with nonsensical twists, let's see if the characters in the story notice."

I recognize MGS 2 as having a large amount of cleverness about how it goes down. I also maintain that as a story, it's pretty, pretty dogshit and shows off some of Kojima's worst flaws as a storyteller, front and center. "We have replaced all of the competent storytelling with nonsensical twists, let's see if the characters in the story notice."

It's better playing it a second time after you know the game's biggest twist. "Hey, the opening of MGS2 is a recreation of the opening of MGS1. What a neat throwback!"

Tee hee hee.
    tumblr_noi8c5EFqS1qbj64co1_1280.jpg

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I loved Twin Snakes so much. Just take Kojima's bullshit and really lean into it and I never got the hate. Cyborg Ninja? Yeah sure. Giant dude in a tank that has raven friends? That's fine! Snake flipping off a missile? That's just fucking wrong!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid is the factual account of the events that later came to be known as The Shadow Moses Incident.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is the highly embellished story you'd get from a completely blitzed Solid Snake in a dark corner of a rural Alaskan bar while he was trying to pick up a couple of attractive CIA candidates in between dog sled races.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    I loved Twin Snakes so much. Just take Kojima's bullshit and really lean into it and I never got the hate. Cyborg Ninja? Yeah sure. Giant dude in a tank that has raven friends? That's fine! Snake flipping off a missile? That's just fucking wrong!

Yeah. They just made it campier and it was great.

The early Elder Scrolls had nudity, but they blurred the genitals or used shadows. There was kind of a different mentality with the early games.
    Really, it made the games seem like they were for a more mature audience.

Early PC games had much less censorship. It was this niche thing.

Really, Cyberpunk plays off that older mentality.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    That hurts the soul

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585