As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legends of Runeterra] Definitely not Neeko! Nope!

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    After reading about the regions and because I like control, planning ahead, and flexibility, (plus I love Leona), I settled on Targon being my first. I used some resources (~1k shards, 3 Champion WCs, 1 Epic WC, ~5 Rare WCs) and made this netdeck for my PvP experience: CQCQCAIADIAQEAABAEBQADQBAUFK6AIGAMERUHBWHFQGIAYBAMAAMAIEBEGQEAYJK5MAEAIBAADQCAYJKQ

oplm5qh1p95l.png

I'm on a resource spending freeze now. Giving myself time to get a feel for whats out there, but this seemed like a fun and good first deck to make that fits my playstyle. Feel free to tell me how huge of a mistake I made, lol

Ain't nothing wrong with THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN - get out there and blind them all.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Starting out in Runeterra is very weird because your first few weeks feel very starved of resources. Then you start reliably building up a bank and suddenly you're struggling to hold everything you could craft. The pain points are extremely front-loaded in a pretty frustrating way. I'm glad with where it ends up, but it's a shame that still hasn't been smoothed out more. I suppose they're relying on the PVE experience nowadays to cover their bases.

If I was starting completely from scratch, I'd definitely be feeling it.

Luckily, I started with a pretty sizeable haul from Twitch Prime rewards. After making the above deck, I've still got 7k shards, 5 Champ WCs, and ~15 each of Epic/Rare/Common WCs. Not a ton, mind you, but it did give me some leeway to craft a deck and still have quite a bit left over.

ObiFett on
    edited May 2022
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Is it worth doing challenges?

Yes! Although, I usually don't do the challenges until I need a little extra XP to push me to the next Vault level before it opens. But yeah, do them for sure. They'll help out with some of the newer mechanics.

As for your deck...
    After reading about the regions and because I like control, planning ahead, and flexibility, (plus I love Leona), I settled on Targon being my first. I used some resources (~1k shards, 3 Champion WCs, 1 Epic WC, ~5 Rare WCs) and made this netdeck for my PvP experience: CQCQCAIADIAQEAABAEBQADQBAUFK6AIGAMERUHBWHFQGIAYBAMAAMAIEBEGQEAYJK5MAEAIBAADQCAYJKQ

oplm5qh1p95l.png

I'm on a resource spending freeze now. Giving myself time to get a feel for whats out there, but this seemed like a fun and good first deck to make that fits my playstyle. Feel free to tell me how huge of a mistake I made, lol

That's a pretty solid, FTP starter deck that focuses on Leona/Asol. You hit all the power cards (Sharpsight, Starshaping, etc) without falling for any meme cards. Overall your deck is a fairly solid mix of Daybreak, Dragons, and Celestials. I'd only make a few suggestions:

+1 Screeching Dragon, +1 Hush, +1 Solari Sunhawk, -3 Loping Telescopes

Loping Telescope is a great card, but it doesn't really fit with what your deck is trying to do (turbo level Leona/big dragons). It also fills the same role as the Solari Priestess, but she supports Leona and gets more powerful card options (Comet is huge vs Landmarks). For those reasons, you can cut all three of them and get a third Sunhawk and Dragon, both of which are great cards. A single copy of Hush can go a long way in shutting down combo decks.

Thanks for the advice! Making deck changes now

I've really liked the flexibility that Telescope has given me. Maybe HS has me overvaluing discover effects, but its allowed me to get the right cards to control the board.

Are you recommending Hush over Purify because the "this round only" aspect of it can also be used situationally on your own followers? At one mana less and permanent, Purify seems better at first glance but I must be mis-judging their values. Either way, after playing against a deck with three of the dude that just comes back to life with +1/+1, I definitely need a reliable silence.

I do love Solari Sunhawk and will likely put another one of those in there, although they are less good once Leona is online (if I'm correctly thinking of how their interactions would work)

ObiFett on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Hush sees play because it can target champions and purify is only followers - hush on a champion at the right time when your opponent commits too heavily on them is back breaking to a lot of decks

PSN SeGaTai
    edited May 2022
    Also, since I had the cards already I made a deck with Leona and Yasuo. They seem to synergize pretty well in theory. Do they work well in practice?

edit: Ok, its worked really well against AI so far, but obviously thats just AI

ObiFett on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Is it worth doing challenges?

Yes! Although, I usually don't do the challenges until I need a little extra XP to push me to the next Vault level before it opens. But yeah, do them for sure. They'll help out with some of the newer mechanics.

As for your deck...

oplm5qh1p95l.png

That's a pretty solid, FTP starter deck that focuses on Leona/Asol. You hit all the power cards (Sharpsight, Starshaping, etc) without falling for any meme cards. Overall your deck is a fairly solid mix of Daybreak, Dragons, and Celestials. I'd only make a few suggestions:

+1 Screeching Dragon, +1 Hush, +1 Solari Sunhawk, -3 Loping Telescopes

Loping Telescope is a great card, but it doesn't really fit with what your deck is trying to do (turbo level Leona/big dragons). It also fills the same role as the Solari Priestess, but she supports Leona and gets more powerful card options (Comet is huge vs Landmarks). For those reasons, you can cut all three of them and get a third Sunhawk and Dragon, both of which are great cards. A single copy of Hush can go a long way in shutting down combo decks.

Thanks for the advice! Making deck changes now

I've really liked the flexibility that Telescope has given me. Maybe HS has me overvaluing discover effects, but its allowed me to get the right cards to control the board.

Are you recommending Hush over Purify because the "this round only" aspect of it can also be used situationally on your own followers? At one mana less and permanent, Purify seems better at first glance but I must be mis-judging their values. Either way, after playing against a deck with three of the dude that just comes back to life with +1/+1, I definitely need a reliable silence.

I do love Solari Sunhawk and will likely put another one of those in there, although they are less good once Leona is online (if I'm correctly thinking of how their interactions would work)

Loping is a solid card and can find answers (especially from the 3 or less cost Celestial pool). The problem is that in the specific deck, it overlaps with Solari Priestess, a card which just gels better with Leona. The 4-6 cost Celestials are powerful and can pull you back into a game. It's your call though, both Loping and Priestess are good, I just don't feel you need both.

As for Hush over Purify, the biggest difference is what it hits. Purify only hits Followers and not Champions. While it might not seem like much, that's a huge difference. Hush is basically used as combat removal when the opponent swings in with their huge unit. Like, attacking with a 12/12 Nasus only to turn it into a 2/2 is massive. A lot of Champions rely on Quick Attack or Elusive to push damage and Hush stops them in their tracks. Hush is really, really good at disrupting a combo deck's gameplan. Purify seems virtually zero play because of it's limitation.

Solari Sunhawk with Leona on board is a double stun to two different units! It's not written on the cards, but if a unit is stunned, the next strongest unit will get stunned. Abuse that shit for huge attacks from a wide board.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    and ah, didnt catch the follower v unit difference on purify and hush. Huge difference!

and ah, didnt catch the follower v unit difference on purify and hush. Huge difference!

Any card that doesn't target Champions are generally gonna be bad.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Letting She Who Wanders targets champions is what revitalized FTR. They don't call her She Who Wins now for nothing.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Yilias wrote: »
    Letting She Who Wanders targets champions is what revitalized FTR. They don't call her She Who Wins now for nothing.

As I recall, She Who Wanders did hit champions during beta but it was deemed too powerful. Funny how the power creep has allowed a revert and the card isn’t OP anymore.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    My third episode of The Lore of LoR is live!
    https://youtu.be/GGPnzEj8DeM

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    persona4celestia.jpg
    As far as ported keywords go, I feel like there must have been more interesting options than Amass.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm irritated the keyword is spawn when that's usually a generic term

Coinage wrote: »
    I'm irritated the keyword is spawn when that's usually a generic term

Technically, keywords are static, actions, triggers, or conditions. Spawn is an action keyword, like Blade Dance. Most people think of keywords as the static ones (Challenger, Overwhelm, etc), but anything that has an in-game definition is still technically a keyword. It might be smart to eventually separate static keywords from non-static ones. Creates a bit of clarity for cards that provide random static keywords.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Holy shit, I just had an amazing marathon of a game. Lots of back and forth (with some misplays sprinkled in for good measure).

Jump to 1:28:50 and enjoy the show.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    persona4celestia.jpg
    How do new sets work in this game? Do they just drop the cards into the regions and we use our resources to craft whatever? Do they do any events or quests to drop chests specific to the new cards?

edited May 2022
    Also, does the AI get harder the more you win? Its getting more difficult for me to beat AI than real players

ObiFett on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yes new cards just show up as part of their regions and can be purchased/crafted just the same as any other card

Often they would add a section the region reward track that was 5-6 spaces long that was specific for getting 1 of the new champ for that region added. Honestly though those region reward tracks are getting a bit long and I'm not sure they'll stick to just padding those out indefinitely - since for new players they have to ways to go before getting the specific new hero added.

When they haven't done that and just dropped a couple champions, they have added a quest chain that might give 2 of one specific champion.

PSN SeGaTai
    edited May 2022
    Got my next Lore of LoR video ready for Saturday at 9am. Give it watch!

https://youtu.be/9jyh6QrlF64

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    PMAvers wrote: »

Looks like it. Pretty neat concept. I hope there are more varieties of Boons and not just Chimes. I guess it's fine if it's just Chimes to start with, but add more down the road (ala Traps with Flashbombs).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Path of Champions

Totally fine and fun until I have to do a Bilgewater map and then its utter bullshit

I think I hate most everything about Bilgewater. Even in standard play coming across Bilgewater decks are just not fun.

I think I hate most everything about Bilgewater. Even in standard play coming across Bilgewater decks are just not fun.

Bildgewater was a really good set when it released with the game's official launch. Nab was a point of misery for some people (it used to take the top card of your deck instead of the bottom), but generally speaking, people enjoyed it.

Are there any particular things that BW does that you don't care for or is it just about everything?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

Bildgewater was a really good set when it released with the game's official launch. Nab was a point of misery for some people (it used to take the top card of your deck instead of the bottom), but generally speaking, people enjoyed it.

Are there any particular things that BW does that you don't care for or is it just about everything?

Nab sucks

I think I mostly hate Gangplank and the thing that doubles all damage. Thats what the AI uses and its beyond obnoxious

Nab sucks

I think I mostly hate Gangplank and the thing that doubles all damage. Thats what the AI uses and its beyond obnoxious

Ah yes, Gangplank's ship The Dreadway. GP was thankfully nerfed (-1 HP), because he was a force alongside Sejuani for a while. He hasn't seen any play since.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited May 2022
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Wtf I don't pay attention to LoL a decade and now they're making Annie go to school!

Wtf I don't pay attention to LoL a decade and now they're making Annie go to school!

To be fair, it looks like making her go to school was a bad decision.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

To be fair, it looks like making her go to school was a bad decision.

I mean, with how Noxus looks at potential assets, I think this might be considered still a net upside.

persona4celestia.jpg
    The LoR Twitch promotion used to be a legendary wildcard and now it's 3 rare wildcards, that's so lame

Iirc, tomorrow is the end of expeditions right?

Crackshot and Demolitionist nerfs so maybe burn isn't insanely stupid

edited May 2022
    ermahgerd Crescendum doesn't pull from your deck anymore I missed that.

Coinage on
    ermahgerd Crescendum doesn't pull from your deck anymore I missed that.

I certainly haven't. Not having to deal with guaranteed Eye of the Dragons has made life a lot nicer vs Lee decks.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page