As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    basically all these changes are good, zen changes are important (25 extra hp) and memes (the duke nukem boot) that will nonetheless make for some powerful environmental kill montages on ilios

dont like that they made sojourn easier to hit headshots with but slide is nice. removing the dps passive extra move speed from heroes with mobility stuff (soldier sombra) was needed

if they keep patching weekly at this rate will be v good

worth noting junkrat trap actually still does 80 rn not 100 but nobody has noticed

also lots of good ui changes: kills are more legible, headshots have their icon, healthpack timers work again, etc

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Zensparta?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Eh I dunno if it's as powerful as a Lucio boop. One of the reasons boop is so strong is because Lucio has the speed and mobility to capitalize off it in many ways.

Zen's will probably just be mostly a get off me tool in 1v1s and a reddit clip every now and then.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Eh I dunno if it's as powerful as a Lucio boop. One of the reasons boop is so strong is because Lucio has the speed and mobility to capitalize off it in many ways.

Zen's will probably just be mostly a get off me tool in 1v1s and a reddit clip every now and then.

Oh it's not. It's more like a Whipshot with way less range and no cooldown. But the complete lack of a cooldown is quite a feature and not something with precedent in the game currently.

I could see it not being broken but on paper that kind of an ability feels pretty abuseable, even without Lucio speed.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    what they should do is simple

put it on a 4s cooldown, but make it like duke nukem 3d where when u do the powered up kick u kick with both feet

simple

obF2Wuw.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Seeing Hulkyatta and Lucio juggle the enemy team and only heal each other because Soldier is the main support now is definitely an interesting shift in gameplay.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    okay you fuckin sons of bitches ya got me, i'm back in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPCC8nO4bI

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    These damage values absolutely won't last, he's an absolute menace in enclosed spaces but for a brief, beautiful moment players will actually respect his personal space at more than the pro level. My money is on them tuning down something. The kick isn't actually too bad, it's certainly nowhere near the effectiveness or the utility of Lucio boops. But in tight spaces and around walls the satisfaction of actually being able to apply pressure where there used to be basically none is indescribable
    (This might actually be the first time I've felt some kind of control trying to fend off dive without fighting like a rabid animal lol)

BRIAN BLESSED on
    it is the turn of the fister to be bullied also do NOT let ur tanks stop u from inting in front of enemy spawn they must learn Respect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0S-dnb-Ptc

obF2Wuw.png
    As an aside, hoping they'll bring back endorsements some time soon. Feels weird without those little nuggets of positive reinforcement

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'd say "poor doom" but no...never.

if they had "deathmatch" and "deathmatch no tanks" in the while u wait menu they would rapidly discover a preference

obF2Wuw.png
    random question. i'm pc player, does anyone ever use the right mouse with pharah for hover? it's always space bar for me.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Space bar 100% of the time. They should put a sideways dash or something on right click.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    if they had "deathmatch" and "deathmatch no tanks" in the while u wait menu they would rapidly discover a preference

Amazing how people congregate to the shooter with fun different mechanics then demand it be made like all the other shooters :P

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think they should just nerf tank health a little bit when they're played in open queue and deathmatch. It's not hard to do and the more appealing these other modes are the more it helps role queue's wait times.

edited May 2022
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Amazing how people congregate to the shooter with fun different mechanics then demand it be made like all the other shooters :P

the new tank designs are designed for teamplay not deathmatch

they are not meant to be fun to 1v1 and they arent precisely because being solo tanks meant they are all horrendously overstatted

open q just doesnt work because the moment one team picks 3 tanks 2 supports the other team gotta mirror because its literally turbo goats because how much better the tanks are now than ow1

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the balance of the game looks fine its just that you have people of skill levels all playing with each other so I imagine that isn't too fun.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I was at OWL Battle For Texas on Friday.

I didn't realize Dive came back!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    The DPS characters move at fucking light speed and tanks can bulldoze through entire teams left unchecked so yeah the concept of a backline is now vague and nebulous lol

the hp buff to zen has made duelling tracers so much nicer

both her reload and recall take a little over 1 second (reload 1.15 and recall a little over a second + she is repositioned predictably so u can los her for a brief while after), and this can be 30+ extra effective hp a fight. that + the kick buff + her damage nerf really makes it harder for her

obF2Wuw.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I kind of hope they give Tracer a little bit more damage. Not back to where she was maybe but I think she might be the most skillful and fun character in the game so I'd like to see her be a little more meta.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Another thing about Battle for Texas,

They had a LAN cafe for the OW2 Beta, sponsored and run by some company that makes submerged gaming PCs. That was nuts.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Remember back in the day when they said they used to balance the entire game around Tracer or something? lmao

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i had a zen potg the other night that started with me kicking a moira that had just popped coal off the side of ilios lighthouse

haven't scored any points on well yet sadly

uc3ufTB.png
    new dev blog

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/overwatch/23801626/overwatch-2-pvp-beta-week-2-developer-blog

no changes but broadly thinking about doing stuff to make moira more interesting, giving mercy more mobility as core rather than as super jump, changes for symm and junkrat (though probably not weapon proj speed) which is something

obF2Wuw.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    my takeaway from that wasn't that they wanted to give mercy a different kind of mobility, but that they're looking to codify and simplify the super jump itself. whatever they end up doing though, I think it's a good direction to go.

edited May 2022
    Agree on these changes. Nervous about the notion of more numbers nerfs on Moira, you could easily put her out of range of being able to outduel decent people, it's already pretty touchy unless the opponent is half-asleep. If it's defensive utility they end up giving her then she could just be confined to short range healbot which isn't a terribly compelling niche when Lucio and Brig do that nearly as well while bringing much more to the table. Hm.

Kasyn on
    I like her core mechanics in principle, but it'd be nice to have them find the balance between overly-defensive Moira and hyper-aggressive DPS "why am I doing more damage than the DPS" Moira (the majority of players in public queue)

edited May 2022
    To me their statement on Moira is just an acknowledgement of "yeah we know she's still strong but not terribly fun to play as or against, we haven't figured out how to make her skillful without being overpowered yet, but we're still working on it"

Whatever they decide to do with her, if anything it should push her away from being a healbot in favor of being more like Ana in terms of skill and utility

Houk the Namebringer on
    Depends on the kind of utility they end up giving her.

I've always felt that they could do more with the orbs, giving them some additional effects besides straight damage or healing. Could give them a discord type effect, could make them do an additional effect depending on proximity, could do something when they contact a surface, could give her the ability to manually trigger them. Exploding a damage orb for a slow or a healing orb for a party speed boost would be pretty rad.

Tons of options for her.

take away the left click heal and just let her throw more orbs around

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    After 250 hours of Moira, I'm satisfied with her current state. But I do admit the relatively recent add to the jump height to her fade has been a lot of fun. She's always really clicked for me, but I'm the same sort of perverse person who has enjoyed Orisa's weird mechanics since the start, so probably not the best judge of good mechanics.

Day one player here with 1500+ hours, and nothing about OW2, save some new maps, has me excited at all.

I guess I just don't want to have to fuck with OW2 at all. I've gotten very comfortable with the 2/2/2 system, and dearly love the interplay of 2 tanks working in tandem. I don't think killing off one of the tanks makes for a better game, because I don't particularly enjoy what this new Overwatch has become. Every DPS runs super fast and torments the supports? No second tank to peel?

I feel like gamer grump, though, where I just want OW1 to be archived as it is, and left alone. But that won't happen, and the giant 2 next to the game just hides the fact that it's 3 years' of updates suddenly thrust upon an ecosystem that felt relatively stable after the big shakeups in 2018.

The games as a service thing means whatever version of OW I've truly loved is gonna go away, and that bums me out, but I've had some really good times with it.

Does anyone know if they've pledged to devote a playlist to 6v6 with role queues again?

OmnomnomPancake on
  • DrowsDrows Registered User regular
    If the other blizzard games are any indicator we might see an Overwatch Classic mode someday. The current plight of supports may well not be how final product ends up being, they were clear from the start the current beta is not tuned.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Yeah. This is a genuine beta, not a demo with the wrong name.

edited May 2022
    Does anyone know if they've pledged to devote a playlist to 6v6 with role queues again?

They haven't said anything about doing that, and tbh even if they did, it would have all the same hero balance changes based on the game only having one very strong tank, so a mode with two very strong tanks probably isn't gonna be the most enjoyable experience ever.

I do wish they could have found a way to keep the game 6v6 and move it toward the more high-paced, fluid style that OW2 is bringing out, but with their philosophy toward what they think each role should be and what most players seem to want from the game I'm not sure that was ever really a possibility, sadly.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Patch! https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-pvp-beta-patch-notes-may-12-2022/669532/2
    Mercy

Guardian Angel: Can now also be canceled by using the crouch key. If this key is used to cancel the ability, Mercy will be launched high into the air.
    Dev Notes: This is an initial implementation of new functionality designed to give Mercy players more options in how they use Guardian Angel. Some Mercy players were already able to do similar boosts by using a somewhat complicated technique often referred to as ‘Super jump’. This new functionality will allow all players to more consistently perform similar boosts, while the original technique is still there and remains untouched.

In some ways this new cancel boost is even stronger than the original technique, since players are able to do this at any time rather than requiring them to be near their target. This is just an initial implementation and we’re eager to get feedback on how to improve it.

Baptiste

Regenerative Burst: Now heals for 50 instantly and 50 over time, instead of 100 over time. Additionally, the instant heal portion will be doubled on targets that are 50% or lower health (Please note that we are aware of an issue where this ability is not updated on the hero information screen.)
    Regenerative Burst: no longer heals Baptiste for double
    Dev Notes: This change helps reinforce Baptiste as a support hero that can save allies in clutch moments. This new functionality is intended to synergize with Immortality Field, allowing for faster recovery after saving his allies (or himself!) from imminent danger.

Sojourn

Railgun primary rate of fire increased from 13 to 15 shots-per-second
    Railgun maximum ammo increased from 40 to 45
    Dev Notes: Sojourn has been a little weak since her initial addition to the roster. While this change doesn’t seem huge, increasing her rate of fire increases her alternate fire charge rate and ultimate gain, as well as purely increasing her primary fire’s raw DPS.

Whenever a weapon’s rate of fire changes, it also changes how quickly the weapon will drain its magazine and run out of ammo. We’re increasing her ammo count to compensate for this.

The new Mercy jump is super good. You can jump up into the air above the team, and just stay up there by GAing down and immediately crouch boosting back up.

The Mercy thing is absolutely cracked, can't wait to try it. Bap changes are nice to see, too. Guess they're waiting for next beta to roll out Moira stuff.

Hoping they extend the beta or have the next phase really soon - genuinely don't think I can go back to OW1 in the meanwhile.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Um blizzard using a tool to design diverse characters is hilariously dark

https://www.activisionblizzard.com/newsroom/2022/05/king-diversity-space-tool

EspantaPajaro on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    the first thing that came to mind aside from the Jojo meme for powersets is Community trying to design a mascot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H4KWz1qMSw

It sure seems like it would be easier to just let the artists go wild and give you a dozen designs of characters if you give them a start point like "cowboy," "speed attacker" and "stupid ninja"