As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Job] thread brought to you by WAP.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Work travel has started up again but I don't mind. Sending me on a trip to Europe where I'll.work.during the day and can do whatever I want on the evenings and weekends? Sign me up!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Had my first technical interview for this internal job. I don't think I did well. :( But I do have two more to go.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Agile sprints are so weird for ux/design work. It’s basically the opposite of how we should be structuring things. But anyway, I’ve probably done less than a week worth of work this 3 week sprint and I got praised for how well I’m doing and they are still paying me 4x what I’ve ever been paid before so whatever I guess.

This has been me since our agile transformation.
    I basically oscillate between picking up too many things that rely on other teams or unknown variables that cause ??? amounts of new work or carrying into the next sprint cause validators are busy, and picking up way less work than I can actually do and just spend several days reading shit on my phone or whatever.

"Great work team. We're making excellent progress."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    On Tuesday afternoon, hours after giving a presentation in which my boss said I did a good job and was a good public speaker, I nearly snapped at my boss because he started giving me grief about "taking my time" and "checking the document" that I sent somewhere. The person who requested it was asking for X, so I gave them X, which was on the document, but my boss later said I should've sent X+Y even though they didn't ask for X+Y and started chastising me for it. At which point I snapped at him and said it's a bit unreasonable to expect me to know this when I never work with this form and the only reason I sent it is because you told me to.

Boss asked if I was stressed and I said yes, there's a lot going on, not enough time to do it, etc., so he took a minor thing off me (thank fuck for that). Wednesday morning he asked if I'd been working more than 40 hours a week, I said yes so he said take the afternoon off if you're good with it, rest up a bit.

This morning we begin discussing some of the work that has to go out soon, and when he said something I didn't understand I started to talk about it. He cut me off and said that he's been "getting lots of pushback" from me when he tells me something and wants to work it out with me.

Readers, yes I push back on him when he says we should do X Y or Z because he literally said I should question everything that happens and try to improve on things and understand how this massive machine of an organization works. But almost always if I bring up a different way to do a thing he ignores what I say and just does what he wants anyway, which fine, he's the boss.

I responded by saying that I am only asking clarifying questions to better understand both his thought process and the proper way to conduct this work so that I can better prepare my work product for him and reduce the amount of time he has to spend reviewing it.

He paused for a moment looking at me over the computer screen and then said "okay, well I'm sorry if I've misinterpreted your reactions then" or something to that effect. And we continued working together without issue.

I am...extremely frustrated by him, his micromanagement, his apparent frustration with me when I don't do something in exactly the way he wants, his patronizing tone that "I don't know what I don't know cause I'm still young and new to this", his incessant ability to wave off anything put forward to improve our processes...it's no wonder that 3 other analysts (in a department of less than 10) have left in the last like 8 months.

A department talks to me about a thing, I learn about it and I find no problems with it, and bring it to him and he pokes holes in it and asks for information that seems unnecessary to me, but I go and ask for it anyway and we go forward anyway on the department's thing. Some departments get almost no scrutiny from him while others get immense scrutiny that doesn't line up with the process I should take on these things. It's frustrating.

But at least I know where I stand with him now. Don't question what he tells me to do, don't rock the boat, do my job. Kind of refreshing to understand that that's how he views his role as the boss. So I'll probably stick around until I get a major title/pay bump then jump somewhere else that isn't poorly managed and will actually listen to new perspectives.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I believe I am locked into teaching for at least two more years in Washington state before my teaching certificate/license is acceptable in most other states.

But... I don't think I would move to Oklahoma.

The actual states I have considered moving to in the future for teaching (and other reasons [cost of living, cultural/political sensibilities, ect...]) are:
    -- Illinois
    -- Massachusetts
    -- Michigan
    -- Pennsylvania
    -- New York

North Carolina is increasingly purple, pretty blue in the major metros (Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, the Triangle) and has a very good cost of living.

Also an ocean you can swim in without it being on a dare.

NC does not pay teachers for shit.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

I cannot stress this strongly enough.

Do not move to NC to be a public grade school teacher.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Aww crap. I'm trading off time on this equipment with a new intern we just got. Only the last few weeks, when I've come in after what is technically "his day", all my settings and login etc are still set up and he's clearly not been in. Thought id roll the dice today and hopefully the pattern would hold and I could get some experiments done, but nope, for once he's actually here.

Sounds like you need some kind of minimally intrusive intern detector. Got any friends at the aquarium that could loan you some satellite tags?

xdaz752sdxhq.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I could probably just plug a webcam into the workstation and access it through the VPN from home. ... But what if he arrives during my commute? You're right, the satellite tag idea is better.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    *sigh* Level 1 techs...

"Here's the issue that is going on. Here's the error message. Here's how it is manifesting. Here's the log with the specific line called out where I see the problem. Here's the specific thing I am looking for when it comes to fixing it."

"Thanks! Before we proceed, can you provide a screenshot and the entire system diagnostic?"

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hey @Oghulk would you be willing to say what kind of role(s) you're qualified for so I can see if there's a remote version I can refer you for at Splunk so you have actual cool bosses that respect your time and expertise?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

I mean, they pay about the same as my state--the average is actually a little higher--plus there's a beach, so for me it would be gain both ways. Basically that advice is good but only for current teachers in certain states. Other states actually pay their teachers worse....

• Options

Good to know. Raise my taxes NC!

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular

Good to know. Raise my taxes NC!

Done

*monkey's paw curls a finger*

Police get a raise

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    This is a bit outdated by comparison teacher salaries vs cost of living, NC seems pretty middle of the pack: https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-06-01-graph-where-do-us-teacher-salaries-really-go-the-furthest

Really it’s just teachers are not paid enough anywhere, full stop.

• Options
    Please don't post graphs that correct for cost of living. It makes it really hard to find Oklahoma when we're not cozied up with Mississippi at the far end.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    It's becoming increasingly clear that my company wants us to log 40 hours of client work in addition to:
    • specific mandatory training
    • internal meetings
    • interviewing candidates*
    • management activities*

But they don't want to come out and say it; they just want to drop hints and nudges.

It's a great company other than this recent change, so I'm just gonna keep logging my time like I always do and see how long it takes someone to object.

*I don't have to do any of these yet, but they're hiring like gangbusters, so senior devs do interviews pretty regularly

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Well that was nice. Identified and fixed an outage in 20 minutes because of my previous documentation and some A/B testing, confirmed by checking logs after the fact about the change that was made.

It's good to have evidence that what you are doing is working.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Calica wrote: »
    It's becoming increasingly clear that my company wants us to log 40 hours of client work in addition to:
    • specific mandatory training
    • internal meetings
    • interviewing candidates*
    • management activities*

But they don't want to come out and say it; they just want to drop hints and nudges.

It's a great company other than this recent change, so I'm just gonna keep logging my time like I always do and see how long it takes someone to object.

*I don't have to do any of these yet, but they're hiring like gangbusters, so senior devs do interviews pretty regularly

That seems like a good bet. Making rules is easy, enforcing them is unpleasant and awkward. Make 'em sit you down and tell you you're not working enough for free if they really want to.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Please don't post graphs that correct for cost of living. It makes it really hard to find Oklahoma when we're not cozied up with Mississippi at the far end.

Nah should be easy to find, just look for Texas' hat. It's like Finding Florida, you just look for America's dick shoe.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It's really touching that you think of us as your hat! I know how deeply important hats are to you as a culture.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Hey @Oghulk would you be willing to say what kind of role(s) you're qualified for so I can see if there's a remote version I can refer you for at Splunk so you have actual cool bosses that respect your time and expertise?

I'll PM you

• Options
    I subscribe to a Youtube channel that makes documentaries about real disasters, most of them of the industrial variety - for example, the Great Molasses Flood, or the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse. Today they posted this short about a man getting stuck in an elevator, and this channel has never had a more American ending to a story:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gqKgI0neDpU

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Got an email this morning saying layoffs are coming. (I'm reasonably confident our team won't be cut down. Not 100%, but reasonably sure)
    Also got en email for our stay healthy program, encouraging, among other things, managing stress.

Not a great look there, bosses.

So much for being safe!

• Options
    I subscribe to a Youtube channel that makes documentaries about real disasters, most of them of the industrial variety - for example, the Great Molasses Flood, or the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse. Today they posted this short about a man getting stuck in an elevator, and this channel has never had a more American ending to a story:

I clicked that wondering if it was Fascinating Horror or Plainly Difficult. I didn't know FH did shorts!

• Options
    I've never clicked on a youtube short before, and I was scared and dismayed when it tried to turn my computer into a phone. Cool video, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Got an email this morning saying layoffs are coming. (I'm reasonably confident our team won't be cut down. Not 100%, but reasonably sure)
    Also got en email for our stay healthy program, encouraging, among other things, managing stress.

So much for being safe!

:/

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The meetings I've been in with my boss this week have been awkward. I don't know who else knows he's leaving, but it isn't many. And many have both him and others acting like he's not. But it sounds like he's going to spend part of his last day trying to get one of my priority projects moving, so I guess I feel special.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

I clicked that wondering if it was Fascinating Horror or Plainly Difficult. I didn't know FH did shorts!

Ha, I watch both channels, but I'm only subscribed to Fascinating Horror, that's how I found out they started doing shorts.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Work travel has started up again but I don't mind. Sending me on a trip to Europe where I'll.work.during the day and can do whatever I want on the evenings and weekends? Sign me up!

I can be your bag caddie. plz. (I miss European work travel)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Is there anything fucking worse than a person who likes to implement their Great Ideas® on a project that is already going past due dates, invariably fucking everything up in the process?

• Options
    And just as the day is about to come to an end, not one but TWO systems rear their head as breaking.

I tell you what. I am very, VERY over this Friday the 13th leading into a Full Moon leading into a Lunar Eclipse.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    New guy fucked around and found out. The phones are geotracked you dumbass. 2hours every night was inexcusable to chill at home.

Then I come home and find a complaint left against us. Was it for me screaming as I shit out a lung? Because apologize for nothing

• Options

So much for being safe!

I prefer think of it more as :( Got let go, 2 months severance (which ain't bad), and they don't want their monitor back from my WFH setup.
    Still, I'd rather be employed.
    Anyone need a logistics/hazmat transport sme?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Drama in the lab! someone just hit their head on a bit of sharp solid machinery! There is (a little bit of) blood!
    I'm having sympathy reactions because I know how much even a minor head knock can throw you off, there's something very discombobulating about it. Maybe because it jostles your brain or something.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

So much for being safe!

I prefer think of it more as :( Got let go, 2 months severance (which ain't bad), and they don't want their monitor back from my WFH setup.

@chromdom

Not my personal area of knowledge but I am sure Amazon is always looking for logistics experts so, if you see a job opening you like, DM me and I can refer you.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Drama in the lab! someone just hit their head on a bit of sharp solid machinery! There is (a little bit of) blood!
    I'm having sympathy reactions because I know how much even a minor head knock can throw you off, there's something very discombobulating about it. Maybe because it jostles your brain or something.

Well, I solve that problem by just not having any brains.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

So much for being safe!

Whereabouts you located?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Portland

• Options
    Landed in Germany and didn't sleep a wink despite my best efforts. Gonna make a beeline to the hotel and collapse for a few hours then off to enjoy some fine food paid for by work (e.g., some of the best kind of food).

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Well, I solve that problem by just not having any brains.

Same, and also no blood!