As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I think the new Orville season has Norm McDonald's voice acting before he died.
    I don't know if they will write out his character or kill him off.

Isn't this the end of The Orville? Like, last season?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What I heard takes place in the latest Halo episode is so stupid I think it’s the kind of thing that the show will remembered for like the bad animation in the Philips CDI Zelda games.
    Master Chief sleeps with the covenant human on a halo ring or somewhere and Cortana has to watch because she’s in his head, Cucktana

50% right

50? 100%.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I think this is not yet publicly clear one way or the other. Rumor mill I think says yes and there is no 4th season ordered yet. I sure hope it isn't the end. I am super happy with how much more Trek is on TV now than when it started so it won't be as devastating a loss as it once would have been.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I think this is not yet publicly clear one way or the other. Rumor mill I think says yes and there is no 4th season ordered yet. I sure hope it isn't the end. I am super happy with how much more Trek is on TV now than when it started so it won't be as devastating a loss as it once would have been.

There's no 4th season ordered, but apparently it's being structured so that there can be more down the line. So there might not be a traditonal season year by year, but if they can get it together, they can do another.

It's not like there's an issue with sets, most of them are pretty generic, and nothing a "retrofit" can't accomplish. Same with auxillary crew being reassigned. If McFarlane wants to play dressup again, they'll do a 4th.

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    What I heard takes place in the latest Halo episode is so stupid I think it’s the kind of thing that the show will remembered for like the bad animation in the Philips CDI Zelda games.
    Master Chief sleeps with the covenant human on a halo ring or somewhere and Cortana has to watch because she’s in his head, Cucktana

50% right

50? 100%.

Huh, I was mistaken. I must have gotten a drink during:
    Voyeur-tana

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Two new eps of Bosch, still going solid. And oh shit surprise cameo.

J Edgar if only briefly. Wonder if we'll see Captain Billet, can't imagine we don't she's the only one so far we haven't seen.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Wow, the audio is just straight up out of synch on episode 2 of the Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Winning Time finished on Sunday, overall it's a decent timekiller series about the start of the Lakers 80's dynasty. The guy playing Magic got better, they really made Jabar much more of a grumpy gus than he was, Adrian Brody as Pat Reilly is solid as always, and even Jason Segal shook off the How I Met Your Mother typecast by being a believable Paul Westhead. Sally Field and John C. Reilly are the real standouts and likely to get nominations.

The biggest flaw with the show is while it admits to dramatizing things, especially in how they show Larry Bird (they pretty much try to make him racist without saying it which is a dick move), they had the the nerve to actually change the scores of games to make them have more tension. I wonder if they're just going to skip to the '82 season if they continue, and this is just about the years when they won championships. Or just be a one and done, that's refreshing enough these days.

I'd recommend Tokyo Vice over it if you're looking for something good, but this could be your perfect weekend nap show.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

50% right

50? 100%.

Voyeur-tana

Nah you were right.
    They do fuck while Cortana watches, but it doesn’t happen on the actual Halo ring. It’s on Reach.[\spoiler]

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited May 2022
    Big Dookie wrote: »

50% right

50? 100%.

Voyeur-tana

Nah you were right.
    They do fuck while Cortana watches, but it doesn’t happen on the actual Halo ring. It’s on Reach.[\spoiler]

TexiKen said "or somewhere". So 100%. Not that that was the biggest problem with the episode. TV is really letting down with these adaptions lately. Hopefully Halo and Wheel of Time fire all the writers sooner or later.

Xeddicus on
    The Lincoln Lawyer is "meh", wouldn't bother with it. Maybe if it had Bosch in it for another "M.C.U"

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Watched Severance, brill show, highly recommend.

The Lincoln Lawyer is "meh", wouldn't bother with it. Maybe if it had Bosch in it for another "M.C.U"

Doesn't really surprise me the books weren't that great either, only good ones were the cross overs.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The movie was ok. One of those films that's enjoyable but entirely forgettable fluff.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Watched Severance, brill show, highly recommend.

I just started it earlier this week and finished Ep 6 last night. Definitely intrigued on where it all ends up and hoping they can stick the landing here in the last 3 episodes.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Amazons Kids in the Hall dropped, five minutes in shows naked tiny Canadian dong and then a Kathie and Cathy skit that dies on the vine and then Pete Davidson shows up to be unfunny (this wasn’t part of the deal, Blackheart! This wasn’t paaaaaart!!!!)

The blueberry pie/tart skit was great though. Probably because it wasn’t based around lol things are old things are different and drawn out for time. I admit hearing the opening song again does give good vibes.

shryke wrote: »
    The movie was ok. One of those films that's enjoyable but entirely forgettable fluff.

The aggressively bad connelly books/film is the one Eastwood made into Bloodwork. Its kind of funny that series has kind of a weird ending.

The main character dies in I can't remember if it was the third book of his own series or in one of the Bosch books, and then Bosch has to solve the murder it was kind of like Connelly admitted the character sucked and just killed him off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I realized yesterday that anytime I see people crapping on the Halo show, it's people who aren't watching it recounting things they heard about it from tweets or whatever.

I'm not sure I've seen worse than a "it makes some weird choices but eh" from anyone actually watching it.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Finished the new Kids in the Hall.

It was largely good, there's dud sketches but I mean, sketch comedy? It should also have the subtitle "Lots of Naked Old Canadian Men"

Now I'm watching Tombstone because amazon has that as well. God damn this is a good movie.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I realized yesterday that anytime I see people crapping on the Halo show, it's people who aren't watching it recounting things they heard about it from tweets or whatever.

I'm not sure I've seen worse than a "it makes some weird choices but eh" from anyone actually watching it.

0a7gp8rynyo8.png

Oh, I'm watching it but beginning to question that choice

Oh, I'm watching it but beginning to question that choice

I'm stuck on Ep4, and just don't have much motivation to keep going.

Every time I think about it, I'm just tempted to rewatch Red Vs Blue again instead.

While I don't actively hate the main actor, noone else* is compelling or interesting to me, and the whole "chosen one" thing just grates on me like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't mind John being "awakened", but the manner in which they're doing it, is just so hokey.
    * Only character I'm really liking at all, is the Spartan who's started to feel, and that's not enough.

And the sidekick's story is even worse.

Which makes the various mustache twirling villains (Burn Gorman, the Admiral, the Doctor, the rest of them) just not hit.

I might binge it out when it's finished (unless I hear it's a disappointing conclusion), but it's no longer something I'll try and keep up with on the weekly.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Naw, I've been watching it and it's pretty terrible. I get taking off the helmet, but that's so minor on top of everything else.
    Unsure if I'll laugh or cry if the Fall of Reach is perpetuated by Master Cheeks fucking a covnenant spy.

Nosf on
    The POC actors and characters in the sidekick story deserved a helluva lot better. As is, they seem like an afterthought and I fast forward or skip the scenes involving them because of the writing.

They never should have been there to start with to be ignored. They cut down season length to presumably up the quality (it of course just a money saving move), then create their own crap to waste time on instead.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Babylon 5: Point of No Return
    WHELP. The Earth President declared martial law, and dissolved the Senate.

Also, Londo finds out that he will become emperor. As will Vir.

Thoughts:
    There's some weird camerawork with the conversation between Londo and the wife of the old emperor. Looks like they spliced in another set of footage, but one set doesn't have Londo in it, who should be right behind her. Even if technically correct due to Angles, it still seems sloppy.

As for the actual episode, yeah, that's what a successful coup looks like. Clark has imprisoned the only authority that can remove him from office through legal means, and has most of Earth military under his control, which prevents violent overthrow. And he's working with Psi Corps, which is the other power base that has a reasonable ability to remove him. And he's working with the Shadows, which should be able to take care of any outside interference. He has control of all the significant power structures in and around Earth, with the only real opposition being a few scattered military ships and B5. And all the significant work took place before bullets started flying. The takeover of the news media was done basically before the series began; it is taken as a given that the government can use it for propaganda purposes. The transition of the Psi Corps into what is essentially a militarized cult also happened before the start of the series; all that is needed is to take control of the leadership of the Psi Corps, and he has control over Earth telepaths as a group, who could otherwise pose a credible threat to his power. The assassination of the Earth President gave him control over the military, and the formation of the Nightwatch as an alternate militarized group under his direct control gave him an organization that could replace any groups that decide to cause a fuss, as well as a goon squad for any necessary goonery.

The discovery of the assassination undoubtedly messed with his plans; without that I assume he proceeds with the removal of any "traitors" that do not have loyalty to him personally, and gradually lock down any other threats to his power in the name of security. But even without that extra time, he was really close to total control of the government. The main downside is that he had to use violence to finish the takeover instead of just moving slowly enough to prevent panic, and yelling "Temporary restrictions for the purpose of security" loudly enough to drown out opposition. By doing this, Clark has moved from a politician that some people dislike into someone who performed a coup. Does that matter? Maybe.

I feel the need to emphasize that a lot of this is just Clark stepping into conditions that are perfect for a dictatorship. The use of ISN to broadcast propaganda and taking control of the Psi Corps were both trivial to accomplish; Clark is just the one who took advantage. Even the structure of the government is well-suited to his plans; Earth has a US-style President/Congress division of powers, which is a good way for a President to realize that the military answers to them, not Congress, and just take over.

Babylon 5: Point of No Return

That episode will always have a place in my heart for the appearance of Majel Barrett as the Emperor's widow.

Majel Barrett for those not into Trek lore was the wife of Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, and was an actress in the original series (Nurse Chapel), as well as TNG and DS9 (as Lwaxana Troi, Deanna's mother) and the voice of "the computer" in pretty much every episode and movie of Trek until her passing.

Her appearing on B5 was genuinely awesome, and apparently an olive branch to the two fan bases.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I just caught up on Halo. I had stopped before the episode focusing on Kwan and, obviously, the subsequent episode where Chief had sex with a prisoner.

I feel this is the culmination of the seeming hatred 343 had for the Bungie era story with Halsey and the Spartan IIs with regard to how Halsey was portrayed as a person doing bad things for what she felt were good reasons. Halsey told the Spartan IIs they were kidnapped kids and emphasized they were for the greater good. Indoctrination, yes, and the Spartan IIIs were used to counter this viewpoint, but it's why the IIs venerated Halsey.

Good story, good nuance, good stuff.

343 comes along and wants less nuance, more black & white, more generic trope garbage, Halsey is more clearly evil....and this show has been in development hell so long, it was probably in development story wise when the prior Halo games were to match that.

I am disappointed with where season 1 has gone and I feel they haven't devoted enough time to develop the choices / changes they have made in this show.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So Netflix has decided on hippy-punching to divert attention from the fact that leadership backed the wrong horse and is paying the price:
    This new memo, which you can read in full here, has a new 'Artistic Expression' section in which Netflix explains that it will not sanction artists or certain voices even if employees consider their content harmful.

"Entertaining the world is an amazing opportunity and also a challenge because viewers have very different tastes and points of view," the company writes. "So we offer a wide variety of TV shows and movies, some of which can be provocative. To help members make informed choices about what to watch, we offer ratings, content warnings and easy to use parental controls."

"Not everyone will like — or agree with — everything on our service," Netflix said. "While every title is different, we approach them based on the same set of principles: we support the artistic expression of the creators we choose to work with; we program for a diversity of audiences and tastes; and we let viewers decide what’s appropriate for them, versus having Netflix censor specific artists or voices."

And Netflix asserts that employees who do not agree with the content broadcast on the platform can quit.

"As employees we support the principle that Netflix offers a diversity of stories, even if we find some titles counter to our own personal values. Depending on your role, you may need to work on titles you perceive to be harmful. If you’d find it hard to support our content breadth, Netflix may not be the best place for you."

I do love the blunt statement of "if you want to want to work here, you'll be expected to hurt people." It's a pretty direct response to Netflix staff protesting the continued support for Dave Chappelle by leadership.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So Netflix has decided on hippy-punching to divert attention from the fact that leadership backed the wrong horse and is paying the price:
    This new memo, which you can read in full here, has a new 'Artistic Expression' section in which Netflix explains that it will not sanction artists or certain voices even if employees consider their content harmful.

"Entertaining the world is an amazing opportunity and also a challenge because viewers have very different tastes and points of view," the company writes. "So we offer a wide variety of TV shows and movies, some of which can be provocative. To help members make informed choices about what to watch, we offer ratings, content warnings and easy to use parental controls."

"Not everyone will like — or agree with — everything on our service," Netflix said. "While every title is different, we approach them based on the same set of principles: we support the artistic expression of the creators we choose to work with; we program for a diversity of audiences and tastes; and we let viewers decide what’s appropriate for them, versus having Netflix censor specific artists or voices."

And Netflix asserts that employees who do not agree with the content broadcast on the platform can quit.

"As employees we support the principle that Netflix offers a diversity of stories, even if we find some titles counter to our own personal values. Depending on your role, you may need to work on titles you perceive to be harmful. If you’d find it hard to support our content breadth, Netflix may not be the best place for you."

I do love the blunt statement of "if you want to want to work here, you'll be expected to hurt people." It's a pretty direct response to Netflix staff protesting the continued support for Dave Chappelle by leadership.

That's got to be the douchiest way to prepare for future layoffs I've ever seen. The powerpoint on the plan was probably called lolnoseverance4butthurtemployees.pptx

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Amazons Kids in the Hall dropped, five minutes in shows naked tiny Canadian dong and then a Kathie and Cathy skit that dies on the vine and then Pete Davidson shows up to be unfunny (this wasn’t part of the deal, Blackheart! This wasn’t paaaaaart!!!!)

The blueberry pie/tart skit was great though. Probably because it wasn’t based around lol things are old things are different and drawn out for time. I admit hearing the opening song again does give good vibes.

I'm maybe 4 or 5 episodes in, and while it's not what I'd call super funny, the guys seem to be having fun, and I'm happy they are happy, I guess? That's my critical review in short. I welcome any stab at comedy these days.

I agree the opening was a serious wayback machine.

That's got to be the douchiest way to prepare for future layoffs I've ever seen. The powerpoint on the plan was probably called lolnoseverance4butthurtemployees.pptx

There's more to it than the upcoming layoffs (which we knew were coming after the disasterous financial report a few weeks back.) As the Hollywood Reporter piece I linked points out, Hastings backed the guy who has been pushing toxic growth over the female exec who actually made Netflix what it is today, and the recent financial report has made it clear that the butcher's bill is due. Now, the smart thing would be to admit that giving this guy the reins was a bad idea and get him out - but since he's the CEO now, you can guess how that works. So instead, they're going to play the "free speech" card to distract everyone from the fact that the guy at the tiller is flailing.

There's more to it than the upcoming layoffs (which we knew were coming after the disasterous financial report a few weeks back.) As the Hollywood Reporter piece I linked points out, Hastings backed the guy who has been pushing toxic growth over the female exec who actually made Netflix what it is today, and the recent financial report has made it clear that the butcher's bill is due. Now, the smart thing would be to admit that giving this guy the reins was a bad idea and get him out - but since he's the CEO now, you can guess how that works. So instead, they're going to play the "free speech" card to distract everyone from the fact that the guy at the tiller is flailing.

Leaning hard into the "fuck the snowflakes" marketing might be what they need, given their stock/subscription numbers.

There's entire industries built around grifting that particular demographic. All they need to know is that libs hate it, and they'll pony up the dough.

MorganV wrote: »

Leaning hard into the "fuck the snowflakes" marketing might be what they need, given their stock/subscription numbers.

There's entire industries built around grifting that particular demographic. All they need to know is that libs hate it, and they'll pony up the dough.

It won't get them the numbers, and honestly, Netflix isn't in horrible shape - what happened is that leadership assumed that pandemic fueled growth was the new baseline, and their reality check just bounced hard. The problem is that instead of realizing that they need to shift from growth to sustainability, they're going to just dodge and hippy-punch.

I haven't seen the halo show, but isn't like the show runners writing their own ticket at this point? I don't know how this is 343's fault when like it felt like prior to the show coming out we had Uwe Boll saying they didn't even play the games

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I haven't seen the halo show, but isn't like the show runners writing their own ticket at this point? I don't know how this is 343's fault when like it felt like prior to the show coming out we had Uwe Boll saying they didn't even play the games

343's been heavily involved / people from 343 are producers on the show.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Not sure I buy how much input they have, but it tracks either way. Games story went downhill once they took over the games.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Huh, so Amazon stopped renting and buying anything that's not included a n prime through the prime app. At least on Android phones? Not sure what's the reason for that?

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Huh, so Amazon stopped renting and buying anything that's not included a n prime through the prime app. At least on Android phones? Not sure what's the reason for that?

Assuming it's not a bug, may be a non-compete thing with Google. That's why I can't buy kindle books or audible audiobooks via the Amazon app on my iphone - Apple didn't want the competition.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

343's been heavily involved / people from 343 are producers on the show.

The broad strokes of the story are from the Fall of Reach novel from... Oh god 2001. I thought it released right after Halo 2.

Anyway some details have definitely changed and the Kwan and Makee stuff is new. But given the first game barely had a story this is probably the better place to start.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.