As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Syngyne I think you usually get 8 seconds, and you spend the first 4 saying "What's that gasping noise?" 1 second saying "Oh shit my helmet!" And the last 3 seconds are futilely running back to the protected entrance only to die one second away from safety

You can buy yourself a couple of extra seconds of consciousness with a med pen, never not have a med pen equipped. When on foot, "c" is the "oh shit I'm dying help" button.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I am currently facing a more pressing issue— my character refuses to stuff food in their mouth. Also, Area 18 seems to have a distressing lack of places that will actually sell food to you.

5gsowHm.png
    Probably because you're wearing a helmet, there's a toggle for that but I don't think its bound by default. I made mine "h".

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Just remember to put your helmet back on.

Always fun when you're halfway to your ship out on the landing pad and the game reminds you that you can't breathe in space .

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Probably because you're wearing a helmet, there's a toggle for that but I don't think its bound by default. I made mine "h".

I wasn't wearing a helmet, my character was stuck doing an eating animation with his face and holding a candy bar. Left clicking did nothing. It worked after I quit and restarted.

Other odd things that were happening: I was holding a box, and trying to place it. However, whenever I moved the mouse towards the "Place" option it acted like I was no longer highlighting the box and the interaction choices disappeared. Near as I can tell is that for whatever reason the game thought I was trying to interact with something behind the box I was holding.

Decided to try a defense mission out, and when I arrived I had no indication of who was a hostile and who wasn't, so I ended up tagging a friendly by mistake and now get to sit in a mine for a couple of hours. How do you determine who's a hostile on those missions? Aside from them shooting at you first, that is.

5gsowHm.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

I wasn't wearing a helmet, my character was stuck doing an eating animation with his face and holding a candy bar. Left clicking did nothing. It worked after I quit and restarted.

Other odd things that were happening: I was holding a box, and trying to place it. However, whenever I moved the mouse towards the "Place" option it acted like I was no longer highlighting the box and the interaction choices disappeared. Near as I can tell is that for whatever reason the game thought I was trying to interact with something behind the box I was holding.

Decided to try a defense mission out, and when I arrived I had no indication of who was a hostile and who wasn't, so I ended up tagging a friendly by mistake and now get to sit in a mine for a couple of hours. How do you determine who's a hostile on those missions? Aside from them shooting at you first, that is.

Bad guys wear black turquoise

Good guys wear the regional security uniform you'll see at the stations (Micro: White, Hurston: Yellow)

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Syngyne The best place to get used to doing bunker missions is microTech. The security force there wears bright white armor which makes them easy to recognize.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Yeah, accidentally killing a friendly is an "oopsie poopsie" in other games, in Star Citizen its "You are now wanted for homicide". Honestly I think that should probably change; friendly fire during a confusing combat situation should not be treated the same as deliberately murdering someone. On the other hand, I guess they don't want people "accidentally" killing the guards for their stuff.

Yeah, accidentally killing a friendly is an "oopsie poopsie" in other games, in Star Citizen its "You are now wanted for homicide". Honestly I think that should probably change; friendly fire during a confusing combat situation should not be treated the same as deliberately murdering someone. On the other hand, I guess they don't want people "accidentally" killing the guards for their stuff.

You'd think if you're taking on a security contract for a company, they'd give you IFF data or something for your helmet display.

5gsowHm.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

You'd think if you're taking on a security contract for a company, they'd give you IFF data or something for your helmet display.

They don't even remember to tell their surface turrets you're a friend until you actually reach the bunker.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    So, tried to pick up a courier mission. Zoomed in on the moon I needed to go to, click to get the little green line to my destination, and then click Set Course. Nothing happens. Tried exiting and entering mobiglas and replotting the course, still nothing. Clearing course does nothing. So I align manually with the moon and try to quantum drive to it. Proceed to fly into planet and explode. :rotate:

5gsowHm.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Huh, admittedly I don't pay the closest attention when doing QT stuff, but I didn't think it even calibrates unless you've got a clear path.

But yeah the current nav system is terrible. A pain to locate where you're trying to go, and then sometimes it just doesn't let you set waypoints.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    edited May 2022
    To be fair, the last part was kind of on me, I was pointing through the planet at the moon. I'd just assumed it would go around like it usually does, but I guess if it doesn't have a course set it just beelines.

Edit: though apparently that attempt to tunnel through the planet has permanently killed my character, so I get to start from scratch.

Further edit: So I started in a new location (New Babbage), and now my character has no local inventory and cannot purchase anything because no destination shows up. I also can't claim my ship, it says it can't process the claim. To the character reset I go~~~

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    https://youtu.be/kBSq8JKyPYw

Possible spoilers for Fleet Week.

@Syngyne I was having trouble with claiming ships earlier. First it would just endlessly load the screen,, then I'd try to file a claim and it would say the ship was claimed and moved to the station even though it wasn't spawned

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited May 2022
    Hmm, so that'll be the stage for the upcoming PvP event thing then. I'm curious how they're going to manage what looks like a large-scale PvP event without server meshing. Probably they'll just do what they do with Xenothreat and have basically any other mission that requires AI turned off while the event is active so that the server doesn't shit itself. But I'm still expecting jank.

Mr Ray on
    edited May 2022
    Further edit: So I started in a new location (New Babbage), and now my character has no local inventory and cannot purchase anything because no destination shows up. I also can't claim my ship, it says it can't process the claim. To the character reset I go~~~

As DaMoon mentioned, the servers handling inventory/ship stuff were having some rough times yesterday. Being slow, not showing inventories correctly. It is an experience trying to loot a bunker when you need to open and close your inventory half a dozen times until your backpack shows up.

NEO|Phyte on
    https://youtu.be/RVBaYGeN8DM

Not watching this so I can be surprised on Friday when I go through it myself

3basnids3lf9.jpg

NEO|Phyte wrote: »

As DaMoon mentioned, the servers handling inventory/ship stuff were having some rough times yesterday. Being slow, not showing inventories correctly. It is an experience trying to loot a bunker when you need to open and close your inventory half a dozen times until your backpack shows up.

Things did seem to settle down after the reset. Still a little weirdness, but I was able to get geared up again.

Picked Orison as my new home, and I think that might not have been the best choice. It’s a much prettier starting area than Area 18, but the 150k to get out of atmo is a little annoying, and the personal equipment selection is a bit limited. It was nice being able to just walk to every store you needed in Area 18. I did get to poke around Grim Hex for shopping, which was neat, aside from all the NPCs floating 10 feet in the air. :)

5gsowHm.png
    Yeah, them NPCs do be weird sometimes, it's always fun when you find them all standing at attention in neat little rows.

Yeah I avoid going to Orison as much as possible because of the chonky atmosphere

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah it’s too bad about Orison. Beautiful planet, lots of work went into it, and I avoid it at all costs because of how annoying it is to leave.

edited May 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJHjm6wcPuI

Guy takes his first tour of the Carrack which he wasn't very excited about. Then around the 20 min mark he hits the wrong button on the elevator.

Also gets a Hammerhead, but they're not made by Anvil so meh

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

It has occurred to me that once I have the aUEC for a cutlass, the ability to just walk up and down the back ramp will make package missions a lot less hassle compared to have to sit through the climb into the ship animation constantly on the 300i when you get in and out.

edited May 2022
    It has occurred to me that once I have the aUEC for a cutlass, the ability to just walk up and down the back ramp will make package missions a lot less hassle compared to have to sit through the climb into the ship animation constantly on the 300i when you get in and out.

@NEO|Phyte buy a Pisces for 400k. It's the perfect shuttle for box missions

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    No love for Avenger Titans?

Then again, I am a bit of an Aegis fan.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    No love for Avenger Titans?

Then again, I am a bit of an Aegis fan.

I have one and I like it!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    I will add that to my shopping list, I'm definitely planning on getting the Cutty anyway for all of its non-package-moving perks compared to my existing ships.

Probably not a bad idea to eyeball the sticker price of an Arrow as well, I know I've got one hanging around in my hanger, but I did not pay for one, so I assume at some point this free ship vanishes.

It's quicker, but also opens you up to shipjacking if you're not careful. Also ramps used to sometimes do this thing where you'd either die or your ship would explode when using them due to some kind of physics glitch, so I tend to be wary of them. At least my Freelancer's ladder doesn't kill me like it used to!

edited May 2022
    I tried to use the Connie but it's just not my taste. Too big and floaty. I can deal with a Hammerhead when I'm the pilot because my gunners can handle the shooting and I only have to deal with flying, but trying to fly and gun with this is just no fun for me.

I went ahead and melted down the pack. I'll probably pick something up during Fleet Week but mainly I'm looking forward to trying the Ares Ion to handle the updated gunners on the ERT Hammerheads

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I will add that to my shopping list, I'm definitely planning on getting the Cutty anyway for all of its non-package-moving perks compared to my existing ships.

Probably not a bad idea to eyeball the sticker price of an Arrow as well, I know I've got one hanging around in my hanger, but I did not pay for one, so I assume at some point this free ship vanishes.

I pretty much ran all of my missions in either my Vanguard or my Cutlass. Mostly the Vanguard though so I could just sigh in annoyance and swat virtually anyone that tried to gank me.

Rear ramp is best ramp.

...though the Vanguard did have issues with sometimes spawning with the ramp open... hovering 5' off the ground... at a 75 degree angle :tongue:

Okay, after spending time with this I can safely say this is not for me. Getting killed, having to get back to the spaceport and rent a ship, then claw my way out of Crusader's atmosphere, fly back to my corpse, and die again due to server shenanigans leading to me not being able to shoot back (I'd pull my pistol out, and it would immediately holster when I aimed down the sights, repeatedly, while an AI unloaded in my face, until I got a message saying I was switched to another server, at which point my pistol finally stayed up and I could finally kill the AI, only to bleed out within spitting distance of my original corpse), has pretty much soured me on this experience.

I'm fine with a character death having some sort of consequence, otherwise you'd just lemming at an objective until you got it done. The degree of setback in this game, though, is just a bit much for me. I had a similar experience yesterday where I was killed but was actually able to retrieve my gear and finish the mission, and I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment afterwards, I just felt like I'd wasted my time more than anything. It's unfortunate because I like the fully realized ships and the worldbuilding, but this type of challenge/grind is the kind I tend to bounce off of pretty hard.

5gsowHm.png
    Yeah, death is annoyingly harsh, especially if you were doing stuff not proverbially next door to your respawn location. It gets extra dumb if you're doing certain flavors of bunker mission; since the interiors are flagged as a restricted area, if the bandits manage to kill you, you get sent to space jail for trespassing. Which DOES have the side-effect of you get most* of your stuff back when you're done being in jail, but it also autofails your contracts rather than letting you fly back to the place.

*an actively wielded gun is most likely lost forever when you get incapped, and whatever ship you last used gets vanished to a location you are unable to visit to retrieve it, so you have to insurance claim it, forfeiting anything you'd had stuffed in its cargo.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah imo there's a lot of quality of life improvements that need to happen before it's going to be a game worth playing post inventory changes. It's why I stopped playing for the time being (though also the idea of spending time making money that's all going away isn't real appealing to me.)

But seriously dying was bad enough when it was in the bottom of a cave that's probably but not guaranteed to be traversable. If I'd been losing my gear while doing so I'd be calling for Robert's head on a platter.

I'm hopeful the game will find a balance between realism and valuing a player's time but as with all things Star Citizen it's firmly in the "we'll see" category.

@Syngyne Do you know how to set your spawn point to a new facility so that you're not spawning on Crusader?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Okay, after spending time with this I can safely say this is not for me. Getting killed, having to get back to the spaceport and rent a ship, then claw my way out of Crusader's atmosphere, fly back to my corpse, and die again due to server shenanigans leading to me not being able to shoot back (I'd pull my pistol out, and it would immediately holster when I aimed down the sights, repeatedly, while an AI unloaded in my face, until I got a message saying I was switched to another server, at which point my pistol finally stayed up and I could finally kill the AI, only to bleed out within spitting distance of my original corpse), has pretty much soured me on this experience.

I'm fine with a character death having some sort of consequence, otherwise you'd just lemming at an objective until you got it done. The degree of setback in this game, though, is just a bit much for me. I had a similar experience yesterday where I was killed but was actually able to retrieve my gear and finish the mission, and I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment afterwards, I just felt like I'd wasted my time more than anything. It's unfortunate because I like the fully realized ships and the worldbuilding, but this type of challenge/grind is the kind I tend to bounce off of pretty hard.

Agreed that the respawning in SC is just too annoying right now.
    For what it's worth, it's much better in any location but the one you are in. Any other planet in the system (Microtech, Arccorp and Hurston) have stations in Geostationary Orbit that have their own hospitals. You can set your spawn point on one of them and it makes getting back much less of a hassle. Also, thanks to the quick Claim time on the Aurora I don't generally need to rent a new ship. I'd say the station over Hurston is the best choice really.
    All that said, between the bugs and the other annoyances I haven't played in quite a while either.

causality.png
    https://youtu.be/891f-4V2kL4

The Reliant series has also seemed nifty to me but I've never actually bothered flying one. I was surprised when I saw the different wingtip mounts.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Syngyne Do you know how to set your spawn point to a new facility so that you're not spawning on Crusader?

I didn't. I just poked around for how to do this, and will give this a shot. I think Hurston is the only place I haven't tried as a starting location yet. Other than just having new scenery, is there a lot that would set it apart from Area 18? I liked Area 18 due to convenience (can get to every shop without taking a shuttle, shops had a generally good variety).

5gsowHm.png
    Had a fair bit of non productive time yesterday, some of it intentional (flying out to area18 because it is the only place that carries the hot pink arms for the medium armor set, gotta make sure I'm fashionable for when this big fightmans event happens), and a whole bunch of it unintentional (getting shot in bunkers and ending up in klescher over it), but my bank account now says I can afford to buy myself a Cutlass. I just need to do a bit of pondering on how useful it would actually be to have if I'm still mostly running solo stuff. The primary thing I can think of is that as a physically larger ship with larger components, it'll be more durable for dealing with bunker turrets. Extra firepower from the turret only helps if I've got somebody in the turret. I suppose I could start grabbing randoms out of global chat, would also make bunkers vaguely less risky as having a friend along means they can pick your ass up if you get shot.

This discussion has been closed.