As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pondcasts Thread [Podcats Thread]

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    took him a full two miles to realize the rope broke and that I was in a kayak in a ditch a ways back. totally safe but totally unable to move in my snowsuit. that was a very "don't tell your mother about this" kinda day

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    We did a lot of dangerous sledding in my youth but even worse was my dad putting us in kayaks he pulled with a truck on the snowy dirt roads.

Same, but with the hood of an old pickup instead of kayaks. You could really get some wild parabolas going on 160 acres of perfectly flat winter wheat. Well, flat between the sprinkler tracks, anyway.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Makes me think of the one true utility of massive churches in the south. Using their parking lots to teach the youngins how to drive on ice.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I've found the best way for me to deal with inclement weather while driving is to pretend I know exactly what I'm doing

this belief keeps me from freaking out, which would definitely lead to me like, overcorrecting in a panic when I slide and whoops I Billy Joel'd somebody.

it, so far, has kept me from any misfortune.

except this winter my transmission fell out halfway home and I had to coax my car into a parking lot and AAA that shit while it just kept snowing

I made my mom come and wait with me so I wouldn't have to ride back to the garage with tow truck stranger

Depressperado on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    We did a lot of dangerous sledding in my youth but even worse was my dad putting us in kayaks he pulled with a truck on the snowy dirt roads.

My dad used to tie them behind the four wheeler. One time I slid off going around the side of the house and when I walked around I saw the snapped rope and the sled embedded in the side of the flower bed.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    You don't know true danger until you've tried to cruise down a hill on a GT Racer

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    dirt road driving and southern snow driving work exactly like warhammer 40k orks' vehicles operating purely on confidence

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/9QMiGD2offs

brennan dming a critical role miniseries and also lou wilson is there

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

sad to see that Waypoint will be losing another member :(

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Post text loaded before the tweet so I didn't realize it was a goof. Thanks for the heart palpitations!

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I've been listening to a bit of the Cerebro podcast and it's fun so far! Just talking about X-Men, one at a time. I'm a sucker for summaries of the unnecessarily complicated lives of comic characters.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    https://youtu.be/9QMiGD2offs

brennan dming a critical role miniseries and also lou wilson is there

I'm glad Brennan and Mercer seem to have genuinely hit it off

love seeing just a couple of nerds being friends

btw Starstruck continues to be Un Hinged

https://youtu.be/G3qcNiNQ1gE

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I listened to the whole of the Oh These Those Stars "Wreck of the Young Professionals" episode last night but it was only when I saw the name Clinton Bodycount written down that I got that joke.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I listened to the whole of the Oh These Those Stars "Wreck of the Young Professionals" episode last night but it was only when I saw the name Clinton Bodycount written down that I got that joke.

Branson's seemingly PHYSICAL COMPULSION to keep making crypt keeper puns was incredible. This tenor to his voice of, "I don't know why I can't stop!"

It's like one of those old folk horror stories about a man who puts on cursed shoes and dances himself to death, but with strained puns about mortality

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Branson's seemingly PHYSICAL COMPULSION to keep making crypt keeper puns was incredible. This tenor to his voice of, "I don't know why I can't stop!"

It's like one of those old folk horror stories about a man who puts on cursed shoes and dances himself to death, but with strained puns about mortality

Ironically, the kind of folk stories stories the Crypt Keeper would tell

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Anybody have any recommendations on podcasts that discuss d&d and other role-playing games? I have plenty of actual plays but sometimes I just want to listen to people talk about it. Every time I look it up on Google all I get our actual plays.

Quire.jpg
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I don't listen but I've seen people say Three Black Halflings is good.

Coinage on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I've got the RPGBot Podcast in my feed, I think it's pretty good

https://rpgbot.net/podcast/

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Anybody have any recommendations on podcasts that discuss d&d and other role-playing games? I have plenty of actual plays but sometimes I just want to listen to people talk about it. Every time I look it up on Google all I get our actual plays.

Pods about running games
    Total Party Thrill: General tips about playing/running RPGs
    Three Black Halflings: A mix of interviews, discussions/roundtables, and occasional Actual Play
    Kill Every Monster: A podcast specifically about analyzing the myths behind D&D monsters and reimagining how to use them in a game
    Asians Represent: Exploring TTRPGs through the lens of Asian representation, a mix of live-reads of books, panel discussions, and game reviews

Pods by/about tabletop game design specifically
    The Brain Trust: Usually a mix of general tabletop theory discussion, "what are you working on" style shop talk, and occasionally live design or building ideas on the fly
    Modifier: A podcast specifically about how people modify and alter games to fit their needs, often with a focus on accessibility in design
    Stop, Hack & Roll: An RPG theory podcast that focuses on specific nuts-and-bolts aspects of RPG design and thought experiments
    Hearty Dice Friends: Designers Grant Howitt and Chris Taylor (Heart: The City Beneath, Spire: The City Must Fall, Honey Heist (that one was just Grant) talk about games and their work, mostly shooting the shit

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

The Dungeoncast is a D&D podcast focused primarily on the lore and mechanics of the system.

So one episode they might discuss the history, culture, & stats of Frost Giants, while another episode they might just explore the Abyss as a fictional topic within D&D.

Its good stuff.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

They've stopped doing it but Do Not Steal was a monthly podcast where each episode they'd read a new RPG, spend the first half of the episode critiquing it, and then the second half creating characters with it, the gimmick being that it's a show for people that like rolling characters but never have time to actually use them in campaigns

It only ran for about a year but I really enjoyed it, and not just because they covered my game : p

Speed Racer on
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Do Not Steal is soooooo good

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Dimension 20: Adventuring Academy is Brennan Lee Mulligan talking with other DMs, including the big actual play folks like Matt Mercer, Griffin McElroy, Brandon Reese, etc about running games. I enjoy listening to it quite a bit

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ooh, Kill Every Monster sounds very my jam

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I was going through Branson's Twitter feed trying to remember what show's he producing on (Bad Crimes for Netflix), and in the process I saw this:
    c0ahdg5zz25p.png
    I deeply, deeply respect Branson Reese

A man that truly gives fans the respect they deserve

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Complaints about railroading feel valid for PLAYERS in a game to make, should they feel it apt.

But it's always such a weird complaint for an AUDIENCE to make. Like, there are conversations happening off mic, unseen work going on. With stuff like Rude Tales or TAZ, big chunks of table talk are edited out. "This story is railroaded" always feels to me like, "This story is presented so smoothly that I choose to believe it is preordained rather than trusting in the improvisational abilities and production acumen of the performers and producers."

It's so condescending

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Complaints about railroading feel valid for PLAYERS in a game to make, should they feel it apt.

But it's always such a weird complaint for an AUDIENCE to make. Like, there are conversations happening off mic, unseen work going on. With stuff like Rude Tales or TAZ, big chunks of table talk are edited out. "This story is railroaded" always feels to me like, "This story is presented so smoothly that I choose to believe it is preordained rather than trusting in the improvisational abilities and production acumen of the performers and producers."

It's so condescending

the only thing that ever annoys me with "railroading" in an AP show is when the GM presents a puzzle and then rejects a player's solution because it's not what they had in mind even though it's totally valid. like. why bother with the puzzle then

but even that i can think of, all of one example off the top of my head, and it wasn't even an "AH FUCK THIS SHOW" moment it was just a brief : / and moving along

Speed Racer on
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the word railroading is like a sharp knife, you should not let children (podcast audience members) use it.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Accusations of “rail roading” are extra odd because it’s a sliding scale and the amount that is the right fit for a campaign is something for the table to decide upon and what fits the interests of the groups.

Some people really like an intricate story with big plot twists and reveals and whatnot planned in advance which is… rail roading!

Personally, I’m not a huge fan, so I like “play to find out” systems where I don’t know where the story is going, and I learn alongside the players, and we grow and invent the story together.

But neither is right or wrong in a general sense, they might just be right or wrong for your table.

I’d guess that for a pod cast, with an actual audience listening on the story and wanting to experience twists and reveals, you’d often want to lean more towards scripted. But rail roading isn’t some kind of bogeyman.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I would actually argue with the way it's being invoked here it is exactly some kind of bogeyman.

Personally I do find podcasts like Rude Tales and especially TAZ feel more on rails than I would like in a game, but that's a big personal preference for the players thing, and I'm not one of those. Also, frankly, D&D works better when you've got a bit of track laid anyways.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

I used to like listening to System Mastery, but it's been a while so I don't remember how good they actually were. They basically discuss one system per episode.

And the Rude Crew has talked in behind-the-scenes episodes about how they LOVE when they can go, "Oh, this is the mystery episode," "Oh, this is the haunted house episode." When they can perceive the boundaries, glean the context, it frees up the part of their brain looking for story, looking for structure, and it lets them focus on playing with/off of those tropes, let's them devote more processing power to finding jokes and delivering fun vocal performances. It gives them one less plate to spin, and they actively enjoy that.

Audience members going, "Hey, that thing you all like a lot and that makes your jobs easier and more enjoyable is Bad, Actually," would be maddening

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The episode of the flophouse is hilarious

Exactly what I need as a pick me up this morning

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited May 2022
    it's pretty clear from the jump that rude tales is not all that concerned with like, being a game of dungeons and dragons

it is about meeting a new goofy fucked up weirdo every episode first, classic looney tunes/hannah-barbara cartoon antics second, character relationships third, something else fourth, and a transcription of a board game fifth. I don't really know where you'd get the idea that it was anything else.

which does sort of tie back to a thing we've talked to before, that there's a whooooole lotta RPGs that would really accommodate what they do better, but D&D's got the name recognition so whaddyagonnado

Speed Racer on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Other systems would definitely be better suited to it, but the caveat is that's only true if they're at all concerned with systems

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    And the Rude Crew has talked in behind-the-scenes episodes about how they LOVE when they can go, "Oh, this is the mystery episode," "Oh, this is the haunted house episode." When they can perceive the boundaries, glean the context, it frees up the part of their brain looking for story, looking for structure, and it lets them focus on playing with/off of those tropes, let's them devote more processing power to finding jokes and delivering fun vocal performances. It gives them one less plate to spin, and they actively enjoy that.

Audience members going, "Hey, that thing you all like a lot and that makes your jobs easier and more enjoyable is Bad, Actually," would be maddening

NADDPOD has also talked about this. They've mentioned multiple times that a home game, and a game recorded for distribution are two different things. Everyone is putting on a show, and while the players could go fuck off and not go where the DM is hinting, it would make for a bad episode. There's trust between the two sides, that the DM is going to provide interesting scenarios, and that the players will take those scenarios and explore them in unique and interesting ways.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

NADDPOD has also talked about this. They've mentioned multiple times that a home game, and a game recorded for distribution are two different things. Everyone is putting on a show, and while the players could go fuck off and not go where the DM is hinting, it would make for a bad episode. There's trust between the two sides, that the DM is going to provide interesting scenarios, and that the players will take those scenarios and explore them in unique and interesting ways.

I also think this depends on the GM as well

Some bring in a whole script, some bring in encounter ideas and some bring in a few notes

Maddoc wrote: »
    Other systems would definitely be better suited to it, but the caveat is that's only true if they're at all concerned with systems

Yeah I think that's actually a better angle.

There are other systems out there that could create some of that Looney Tunes aesthetic more organically with the rules as written. If someone wanted to play a game like Rude Tales, I'd recommend them one of those systems, because I think it would be easier for them and require less work to get to that place.

But I don't think that's really true of Rude Tales itself, which is creating that aesthetic through a calculated ignoring of the rules and deliberate comedic showmanship. They can clearly create the end product they want with a system that's bad for it, and I think trying to switch to a system that's good for it would be just as likely to cause harm as it did good.

We've even seen this before with stuff like TAZ: Amnesty, in which Monster of the Week should have been a better fit for their style of game and ended up not really working for the end product.

edited May 2022
    off the top of my head i think i've only done one hard instance of "railroading" in Eidolon and I did it by having a guy unhinge his jaw and barf out a full-size freight train to force the players back onto the path, because if you're gonna railroad someone you should do it right

which i only did because the players really weren't getting it through their heads that they were actively provoking beings that could effortlessly kill them and i did not want the show to end at episode 6

Speed Racer on
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah I think that's actually a better angle.

There are other systems out there that could create some of that Looney Tunes aesthetic more organically with the rules as written. If someone wanted to play a game like Rude Tales, I'd recommend them one of those systems, because I think it would be easier for them and require less work to get to that place.

But I don't think that's really true of Rude Tales itself, which is creating that aesthetic through a calculated ignoring of the rules and deliberate comedic showmanship. They can clearly create the end product they want with a system that's bad for it, and I think trying to switch to a system that's good for it would be just as likely to cause harm as it did good.

We've even seen this before with stuff like TAZ: Amnesty, in which Monster of the Week should have been a better fit for their style of game and ended up not really working for the end product.

yeah i would not really want them to play an RPG designed to create the rude tales tone specifically

i guess i mostly just mean that if they're throwing out a lot of the rules anyway, or only caring about them selectively, then they could've just started with something more rules-lite

but you're definitely right that they draw a lot from playing with the friction of how much they diverge from traditional D&D. Like the Vacation Paladin guy is a joke that works because it's applying the D&D paladin archetype to a silly religion that inherently seems poorly suited to having paladins

they've found a groove that works at this point so saying the show would be better with a different game at this point would be kinda dumb

This discussion has been closed.