As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arrow-Verse: DC on TV (and Legends of Tomorrow)

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I was only still watching Legends and Black Lightning. What even is left of the Arrowverse? Stargirl and the Lois and Clark thing? Are Flash or Supergirl still things?

Dracomicron on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I was only still watching Legends and Black Lightning. What even is left of the Arrowverse? Stargirl and the Lois and Clark thing? Are Flash or Supergirl still things?

Currently only The Flash, Stargirl and Superman & Lois.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

Gotcha. I stopped watching The Flash in I think season 3. Because it was, you know, terrible.

I guess I'll wait to see if Sarah Lance is able to emigrate to another show.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Based off the finale of Legends,
    They're all in Time Jail, so Sara is going nowhere.

sig.gif
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

Is Stargirl Arrowverse? I thought it was at most peripherally related, like Titans and Doom Patrol.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.

Is Stargirl Arrowverse? I thought it was at most peripherally related, like Titans and Doom Patrol.

You're right, it's an alternate Earth-2. So I guess only Flash and S&L are left.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    It’s Arrowverse, but a different Earth.

Then again, Superman & Lois would seem to be totally divorced from the other shows, save for that random Diggle appearance last season.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Calling Star Girl part of the Arrowverse is pretty tenuous. The only link it has is a tiny fan service recycled footage cameo in the Crisis crossover. Which Titans and Doom Patrol also had. You might as well say that the Justice League movie is part of the Arrowverse, because it at least had an even bigger appearance.

Personally, I’d just stick to considering “any show that regularly crosses over and acknowledges the others” part of the Arrowverse. Which is basically Flash and just baaaaarely Superman & Lois.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited April 2022
    It’s Arrowverse, but a different Earth.

Then again, Superman & Lois would seem to be totally divorced from the other shows, save for that random Diggle appearance last season.
    I just want Kara to show up once. Just once. Doesn't even need to be anything other than a cameo at Christmas, just want to see Superman, Superboy(s?) and Supergirl hang as a family.

Maybe Tal-Ro can come.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    I know the pandemic did a number on crossovers, but Superman & Lois doesn’t even acknowledge the other shows exist.

Supergirl at least tried, with all the “Superman is off-planet” or “Superman is dealing with disasters on the other side of the world“ reasons for him being off-screen.

At the same time, I’m not sure how well, let’s say, the established Lex Luthor would fit in with this Superman.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Stargirl is a CW show based on DC Comics. Regardless of whether or not it is Arrowverse canon, it is so similar to the other shows discussed in this thread that it would feel weird talking about it anywhere else.
    Sorce wrote: »
    You know, the Legends spending the rest of their lives in Time Prison because Booster Gold snitched on them seems like a thematically appropriate and just end to their story. It's not really a cliffhanger at all. It's just a bunch of upstarts who repeatedly played God getting what they deserve.

Stargirl is a CW show based on DC Comics. Regardless of whether or not it is Arrowverse canon, it is so similar to the other shows discussed in this thread that it would feel weird talking about it anywhere else.
    You know, the Legends spending the rest of their lives in Time Prison because Booster Gold snitched on them seems like a thematically appropriate and just end to their story. It's not really a cliffhanger at all. It's just a bunch of upstarts who repeatedly played God getting what they deserve.

Oh god, that means Legends ended just like
    Seinfeld

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Legends was the most fun of the shows. It wasn't "good" but it also wasn't trying to be. It was a ridiculous premise that it eventually leaned in to. It had run its course, but was fun while it lasted. Beebo for life!

At this point I think it's safe to look at the last Crisis crossover as the conclusion of the Arrowverse - the actual one, not that last Flash half-attempt. After that it's been nothing but cancelations or REALLY dodgy quality (Flash/Batwoman) in the seasons.

Superman & Lois is pretty great, but is so disconnected it might as well be an Elseworlds.

All in all it was a pretty comic-historic era in television with some great stuff in there. Couldn't last forever, and honestly it was probably time for it to come to an end.

c0bw4gkl2h18.jpg

Says it all.

Raynaga on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Nevermind, there's another page of this thread

Tastyfish on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

This was their best fucking show. I just don't get it.

steam_sig.png

For what its worth, Doom Patrol is shown alongside the resetting of the arrowverse. I dont remember if they did titans or not. But everything is arrowverse if the actors will show up for a cameo and they can get the rights approval. Were just a cross show event away to re-linking everyone with the flash. They went to the effort to let flash know theres other universes still for a reason.

I really wanted Alice from batwoman to go on Legends. She was probably the best part of the show for a while.

steam_sig.png
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Superman & Lois 2x11:
    The backhalf of this season really hit its stride after a rocky start. I'm glad they've finally started bringing the Cushings in on the secret. Soon they won't have to do separate, unreleated plots just to keep them on the show.

Also, seeing Jordan get his first win against a superpowered opponent was special. He better be in the suit by the end of the season.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Superman & Lois
    Jonathan: Well, clearly I didn't want Candace to get in trouble.
    Superman: Well, maybe she should have. She was selling drugs!

Sheesh. Clark Kent? More like Narc Kent.

Ivan Hunger on
    edited May 2022
    They really should not have given the Cushings two kids; the younger one is only noticeable in her perpetual absence.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Wait is there another kid? :P

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    They really should not have given the Cushings two kids; the younger one is only noticeable in her perpetual absence.

I swear sometimes it feels like even the writers forget she exists.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Honestly, they could change the actress for the other kid for every appearance and I wouldn’t even notice because it’s so infrequent and inconsequential.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

I swear sometimes it feels like even the writers forget she exists.
    Most recent episode drove that home with Lana
    telling Sarah that she was the best daughter. Like, I get that it's hyperbole, but Sarah's still not an only child.

sig.gif
    Saw the first episode of Naomi, which is about an interracially adopted black girl who is smart, popular, nerdy, and well-adjusted. Just a great set-up.

Can't wait to binge...wait, cancelled? Fuck.

I watched the first few episodes... it wasn't great? Everyone just felt kind of flat delivery-wise, and every time Naomi's friends were on screen “you look like the attractive yet non-threatening, richly diverse cast of a CW show.” just kept echoing in my head. Also because there were so many of them.

Maybe it got better as the season went on, but I didn't stick around to see.

sig.gif
    I watched the first few episodes... it wasn't great? Everyone just felt kind of flat delivery-wise, and every time Naomi's friends were on screen “you look like the attractive yet non-threatening, richly diverse cast of a CW show.” just kept echoing in my head. Also because there were so many of them.

Maybe it got better as the season went on, but I didn't stick around to see.

I only watched the one episode so far, but I was pleasantly surprised that a nerdy black queer girl protaginist was allowed to be popular and well-adjusted. No bullies, no homophobes, nobody shitting on her hobby excessively... Like, even the romantic quadrangle they set up only had minor sniping/angst ("I like all of them for different reasons" and they all turn out to help).

Dunno, seemed like an anti-CW set-up.

edited June 2022
    Superman & Lois confirmed their spot in the Beebo-verse in the season finale this week.
    S&L is takes place on one of the non-Earth Prime Earths that runs parallel. Which means that my hopes for Benoist to show up as Kara for a Christmas episode have been expertly dashed.

They still get a Diggle though, and he still works for ARGUS.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    Superman & Lois confirmed their spot in the Beebo-verse in the season finale this week.
    S&L is takes place on one of the non-Earth Prime Earths that runs parallel. Which means that my hopes for Benoist to show up as Kara for a Christmas episode have been expertly dashed.

They still get a Diggle though, and he still works for ARGUS.

Which is dumb and makes no sense.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's a better standing explanation for 'why don't they ask X for help?' than 'X just figured they could handle it'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Though it makes the whole Crisis on Infinite Earths event pointless since now all the remaining shows are on different Earths.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Though it makes the whole Crisis on Infinite Earths event pointless since now all the remaining shows are on different Earths.

I thought they wanted to do a second event to get the remaining shows onto the same Earth.

Then, y’know, COVID.

So honestly, keeping them separate while it’s still more difficult to actually have a crossover is a decision I can live with.

There are still plenty of mines in Smallville that can hold portals to Earths containing a Flash, Supergirl or others.

Okay, I guess the portals could technically be in other places, but it just feels wrong.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    In hindsight, Crisis should have ended the Arrowverse, simply because nearly everything got cancelled soon after.

Batwoman, Legends, Supergirl, Arrow, Black Lightening all ended within 18 months of Crisis, with Flash barely treading water and Stargirl and Superman and Lois just starting out.

Knowing what we know now, it would have been interesting to end all the original shows with Crisis, then just start a new universe with S&L and Stargirl. They don't have to be in the same Earth, but at least you can have a clean slate with the shows.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    I stopped watching Flash this season because its just been so bad. Youtube keeps recommending me these 3 minute long "x moment from this season" that CW puts out 3-4 times a season and I feel completely caught up just from reading the video titles.

I'm still bummed about Legends. I always looked forward to whatever stupid bullshit they were going to trip into every week.

steam_sig.png
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I dropped Flash during its third season and never looked back. Season 2 of Superman & Lois was deeply flawed, but at least it didn't repeat the same plotline.

I think they've figured out that shared universes are more trouble than they're worth. You get the occasional awesome crossover, but then the rest of the time you have to ignore or explain why no disasters are averted with time travel, or why no-one calls the Flash for a fast evacuation when it'd be really, really handy.

The practical difficulties of filming it make it harder than herding cats, and it's just not worth it outside of very special occasions.

I gave up on the idea outside of the special episodes when they had a nuclear strike on US soil in Arrow, and no-one on Flash even mentioned it happening. You'd expect that to make the news.
    Especially when it would have been a perfect chance for the 'Flash evacuates an entire town's population before the blast can hit them' thing.

Bedigunz wrote: »
    In hindsight, Crisis should have ended the Arrowverse, simply because nearly everything got cancelled soon after.

Batwoman, Legends, Supergirl, Arrow, Black Lightening all ended within 18 months of Crisis, with Flash barely treading water and Stargirl and Superman and Lois just starting out.

Knowing what we know now, it would have been interesting to end all the original shows with Crisis, then just start a new universe with S&L and Stargirl. They don't have to be in the same Earth, but at least you can have a clean slate with the shows.

My head-canon is that the Arrowverse run ended at that last shot of the table at the end of Crisis.

Natural place to stop, most of it kind of went to shit after - it's just better than the limping along that followed.

I think that it was a mix of COVID fucking the planet, and also the network being sold off that killed everything. The pandemic made travelling and filming a nightmare, and selling the network means new bosses don't want to deal with the old shows. Plus at the very least, s8 for Legends meant new contracts for Sara and Gideon, if not the rest of the cast/crew.

sig.gif
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    It also didn't help that half the Paragons/Justice League of the universe quit their respective shows, or the shows ended.

Ruby Rose quit, Black Lightening and Supergirl (which included J'onn) ended, and Ryan Choi just didn't go anywhere.

All thats left is Barry now that Sara Lance and The Legends are canceled/in jail.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Flash needs to end with him running into the speedforce with the intention of causing another flashpoint, then just not showing what results.
    Then whatever show they come up with next can claim to be in canon.