As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    What I'm hearing is that tarantulas are fussy little princesses?

They super are!

If you give a T solely dubias, after an indeterminate amount of time they'll like, just not recognize crickets as food.

Not guaranteed, and they'll eventually eat cause they still need food, but they very much are like cats being given dry food after years of only wet.

Like, I bought some horn worms as a treat for some of my larger Ts last year.

Exactly one ate. The rest just sat as far away from the worms as possible for days.

I eventually just set them outside.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today is day 200 since my B. emilia last ate anything. I've seen it maybe 3 times since then because it spends all its time buried, but I can view it through the bottom of its pot to confirm it is still alive.

Never let anyone tell you tarantulas aren't the most nail-bitingly exciting animals you can keep as a pet.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    spiders, how the fuck do you work

BahamutZERO.gif
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    200 days?? That is a major sulk

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    2dpkan9bour8.png

Ladies would you please

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    spiders, how the fuck do you work

Can't speak to tarantulas, as I think they're larger than physics permits the systems I'm about to describe to work, but I seem to recall hearing once that small-ish spiders don't have proper/full-scale respiratory systems, and instead just osmose oxygen from the atmosphere as they move around. Combined with the way that their legs operate on hydraulic pressure more than muscle tension, a spider has extraordinarily low basal metabolic energy consumption. They can pretty much survive on spare web silk and flexing their legs every once in a while for months.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today was a good day because I saw a bug I've never seen before, and even better it was a weird one. Clearing up hedge trimmings and had a genuine moment of feeling like my mind was going because a twig was moving by itself.

bj80uado4b3x.jpg

cayztld2n757.jpg

It's some species of geometer moth, I think probably Biston betularia. It is bonkers how much it looked like a twig when it stopped moving. I put it back on a bush and carried on working and when I checked again a bit later it took me a minute to find it even though it was in exactly the same spot.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I've seen twigs that look less like twigs

edited May 2022
    Like a lot of animals, there are some species of tarantula that show strong sexual dimorphism. One is Lampropelma nigerrimum, aka Sangihe Black, an arboreal species from Indonesia. The females are black and the males are grey-brown. And the intersex ones* look like this:

689rr63y280p.jpg

Which I saw and obviously assumed was a photoshop, because that looks bonkers. But nope, it's real.

https://youtu.be/iX8eOKG7onc

As the guy in the video says, male and female Ts have vastly different lifespans, so I wonder how long this one would live. I have to assume not very long.

* I say 'ones', but really it's just one one.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    Happy birthday to me!

daau7ezw7wxl.jpg

My dad gave me spider money, so I finally got to start the M. balfouri communal I've wanted for ages. And a new pokie for good measure.

Even knowing the balfouri are communal it felt really weird putting 6 spiders in one enclosure together. Hope I don't just end up with one really fat spider.

They're all brown blobs at the moment, but here's what they will look like all grown up
    Monocentropus balfouri / Socotra Island Baboon

66twvqm6twk2.jpg

Poecilotheria subfusca 'Lowland' / Ivory Ornamental

dabbjao540oq.jpeg

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That piebald rancho is pretty fuckin' cool lookin'.

Balfouri communal are real, real fuckin cool.

Deffo one of my goals for later

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Also Happy Birthday

Docshifty wrote: »
    Balfouri communal are real, real fuckin cool.

Deffo one of my goals for later

Seeing the slings all huddle together is unbearably fucking cute.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It's spring and I'm super happy that insects are finally out in force (I saw some insects two weeks ago, but they were all "Fuck you. I don't have time to sit still for your silly photos. I gotta collect nectar and shit"

This week Woodland Dor Beetles (Anoplotrupes stercorosus) were fucking everywhere. And I do mean that literally, they were fucking everywhere (hundreds of them in the middle of their first mating of the season). And crawling around. And getting eaten by ants if they were unlucky.
    Took a photo of this common, but still magnificent, little beetle.
    oKzZ5I9.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    We are rapidly approaching Box Elder bug season in the Wasatch Mountains; these little guys end up everywhere, just chilling on your front door, enjoying the sun, and not being eaten by birds because they can make themselves stink and taste nasty.
    ig6ktel5qppi.jpg[/spoiler

I just went to check out the bug hotel my brother set up for my nephew and was excited to see some of the holes are sealed up with mud. Then as I was looking at it a fuzzy butt emerged from one of the open holes as a bee reversed out, turned around, and reversed back in. Then came out and flew off a minute later. It must have just laid an egg. Folks I died. That bee stole my heart and now I am dead.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Is there a bird thread? I know there was one during the holidays. Oh well. Y'all get to listen to me talk about birds. They only have two legs so it counts!

Spring in the Wasatch and Uintah Mountains is a birder heaven. We get bald eagles, red-tail hawks, the corvids are still hanging out (I've watched ravens bully red tails out of nesting sites, they're no joke!), but my favorite are the sandhill cranes.
    2h226lwvb5vp.jpg

These big, impressive, ancient birds are more common farther east in the sandhill region (because bird names are either hilariously literal or hilariously perverted), but in our spring snow melt/runoff season we start seeing some. They're big! They're awesome! They have daggers for beaks! And yesterday I had one model for me for a good five minutes on the side of the road, cursing that I didn't have binos or a camera in the work truck. So yeah I'm getting a set of compact binos today to keep in the work truck because birds, and especially sandhill cranes, are awesome and I want to admire them.

edited May 2022
    We do have a bird thread somewhere, lemme try to dig it up
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/239192/all-birds-all-the-time

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited May 2022
    Really crappy photo because it was taken with my phone through plastic and the subjects are tiny, but I fed the balfouri communal yesterday and it brought some of them out into the open for the first time since they arrived. Just now I checked on them and found these 2 adorable mofo's having a shared lunch

zzsvsq48oo2z.jpg

Yes they are feasting on a roach several times bigger than themselves, I don't have any smaller feeders.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/qzkxntU1UA0

This is such a delightful combination of disgusting and incredibly cute! Look at their cute widdle heads!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Augh
    Spiders are cool, but everything about roaches is unsettling

BahamutZERO.gif
    Today I saw a new moth and it was a funky one.

j21fuinf8uho.jpg

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That's a Scarlet Tiger Moth.
    You might say "There is nothing scarlet about it!". But that's because it's hiding the scarlet red wings and we barely see the slightest hint of them.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    edited June 2022
    Yeah it had a bright scarlet body, but it was not cooperative about me trying to get a photo of it

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The moth developed the Predator face pattern on its wings to prevent predation by xenomorphs.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Whoa, cool. This is what they look like with their wings splayed:
    8rm0pt3zdpod.jpg

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Yeah it had a bright scarlet body, but it was not cooperative about me trying to get a photo of it

Lepidoptera are often uncooperative with that kind of thing in my experience. I've never managed a picture I'm satisfied with.

Most of the lepidoptera we have down here are common blues, and none of them are even blue. Like what the fuck, taxonomists? Name shit accurately.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Most of the lepidoptera we have down here are common blues, and none of them are even blue. Like what the fuck, taxonomists? Name shit accurately.

Little known fact is that all animal naming is just an elaborate prank played on lay people and novices by the old hands.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I guarantee you no taxonomist came up with the name 'common blue'.

Taxonomists do like making obscure jokes though

This is our UK Common Blue butterfly. The taxonomic name is Platyommatus icarus, 'platyommatus' means 'having many eyes'.

l73166ul75l3.jpg

They are actually blue though so I guess points to the historical peasants as well.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yes, for example I had to explain to my kid recently why a red breasted Grosbeak has a folk name of "cutthroat."

Folks are weird.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Saw this little spider crawling on my desk today. Anyone care to try and ID it?

3crsqb59jtvv.jpeg

Without anything for a size comparison, my brain immediately went to jumping spider of some sort.

If you want an accurate ID, size and location would be a good start. And by location I don't mean your desk, I mean, like, what city.