As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX countdown vista gadget?

2»

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hmm... the website itself has a countdown. I guess that renders gadget development relatively moot, unless you want to know without going to the website. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    Looks good :)

I think the accuracy doesnt really matter, as long as its down to the day/hour :P

I agree totally, in retrospect... it's just interesting how two different programmers can think about (and solve) a problem in two very different ways.

He recognized the reasons why accuracy wasn't terribly important, and build a simple yet effective widget as a result.

I obsessed over accuracy, and ended up making a much more complex widget under the surface in an attempt to get the accuracy without using up too many processing cycles.

I guess as a positive side effect of my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, we Vista users have some extra goodies and options. =)

EDIT: Hmm... looking at his code some more, I *really* like what he did with using modulus and the ticks since 1970 to avoid having to do all of the checks I had to do. Ooh, and he was using regular expressions... nice! Didn't know you could do that in Javascript. Much, much simpler. Must I always code the hard way? =)

Anyways, as always let me know if something goes awry so I can fix it. =)

Exactly :P the site has had the countdown for a couple paxes now

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I didn't realize that =) And you still wanted one for your desktop? Well, I suppose so... I'm just glad to be of service. It was really fun making it, after I got a hang of it. =)

VThornheart on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks VThorneart! I replaced my weather gadget with the PAX countdown gadget.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited January 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Thanks VThorneart! I replaced my weather gadget with the PAX countdown gadget.

Woot! I'm glad people are finding it useful! =)

VThornheart on
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Like any addiction to the addict… Soon you’ll be receiving calls from their distraught significant other calling you to curse your name and wish you a speedy trip to Hades’ for breaking their last tie to sanity…

:)

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In the interest of options, here is the early alpha version of mine. It is simple, no frills, no config screen, only counts down to PAX 2008, doesn't fit well in the sidebar, and I made it in about an hour.

I'll fix a few of those later, but for now, here ya go: JonXP's PAX Countdown Gadget

Screenshot Spoiler'd
    pg0.1ss.jpg

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited February 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    In the interest of options, here is the early alpha version of mine. It is simple, no frills, no config screen, only counts down to PAX 2008, doesn't fit well in the sidebar, and I made it in about an hour.

I'll fix a few of those later, but for now, here ya go: JonXP's PAX Countdown Gadget

Screenshot Spoiler'd
    pg0.1ss.jpg

I like it! How'd you get it to actually have a transparent background? I had sent mine to at one point, but it ignored me and made it white anyways. =(

Ahh, you used that g:background thing. Very cool! I like, I like! =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008

Screenshot Spoiler'd
    pg0.1ss.jpg

I like it! How'd you get it to actually have a transparent background? I had sent mine to at one point, but it ignored me and made it white anyways. =(

Ahh, you used that g:background thing. Very cool! I like, I like! =)

I'm thinking of just combining the two of ours (if you don't mind) so there's a desktop and a sidebar version.

Also, I was going to add the links to a flyout instead of being on the gadget proper to reduce visual clutter, and fit better within the Experience Guidelines for gadgets.

jonxp on
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, go house on it! Whatever I have in my app, feel free to toss it in. =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, go house on it! Whatever I have in my app, feel free to toss it in. =)

I'm totally ripping off your build script. I was too lazy to write one myself, since I was just using my own stuff.

jonxp on
    edited February 2008
    That's okay! =) Aye, if you have WinRAR and you make that external application menu item for VStudio, it makes the build process much less stressful. =) I spent a whole day (on saturday, when I first started) doing the manual "zip it up, rename it to gadget" thing. Smacked myself on the forehead when I finally realized I could automate it. =)

But aye, like I said, anything I've got feel free to throw in to yours. I like how yours looks when it's in the "free floating" mode, so it should be a good pairing. My apologies in advance for the MESS that the Javascript was in. I was kind of learning Javascript while I was writing it, so it's all over the place. (I'd done JS for very simple tasks before, but never something more complicated than filling a div with text or changing the color of something... I never knew how to *actually* program with Javascript before this little project =) ).

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008
    That's okay! =) Aye, if you have WinRAR and you make that external application menu item for VStudio, it makes the build process much less stressful. =) I spent a whole day (on saturday, when I first started) doing the manual "zip it up, rename it to gadget" thing. Smacked myself on the forehead when I finally realized I could automate it. =)

But aye, like I said, anything I've got feel free to throw in to yours. I like how yours looks when it's in the "free floating" mode, so it should be a good pairing. My apologies in advance for the MESS that the Javascript was in. I was kind of learning Javascript while I was writing it, so it's all over the place. (I'd done JS for very simple tasks before, but never something more complicated than filling a div with text or changing the color of something... I never knew how to *actually* program with Javascript before this little project =) ).

Yeah I'm trying to work on this, but GOOD GOD there are a lot of issues I'm having to work around:

http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=7318

I've discovered and worked around almost half of those by now, and I'm still having issues. I'm surprised anyone ever gets anything working for the Vista sidebar.

jonxp on
    edited February 2008
    Ouch, that is a LONG list of vista bugs. I wonder if they'll ever clean it up. =(

Is it bugs you're running into when you try to combine our two projects, or with the flyout idea, or both? Let me know if I can be of assistance.

EDIT: Also, some of them might be old bugs on that list, or bugs that don't exist anymore... one in particular I noticed on the list was that they said you couldn't resize the gadget by setting the width & height on the body tag... but I was doing that in mine, and it worked fine for me...?

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008
    Ouch, that is a LONG list of vista bugs. I wonder if they'll ever clean it up. =(

Is it bugs you're running into when you try to combine our two projects, or with the flyout idea, or both? Let me know if I can be of assistance.

EDIT: Also, some of them might be old bugs on that list, or bugs that don't exist anymore... one in particular I noticed on the list was that they said you couldn't resize the gadget by setting the width & height on the body tag... but I was doing that in mine, and it worked fine for me...?

It works, but it doesn't allow you to RESIZE that way. I've already changed that bit. :D

jonxp on
    edited February 2008
    Ohhh =) Good dealin' =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008
    jon, how'd it go with merging the two controls? Did you get it going yet?

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008
    jon, how'd it go with merging the two controls? Did you get it going yet?

Alas, job related programming and family hath taken mine time away.

However, I was gonna work on it a bit tonight. I'll toss it up on my SVN later so people can contribute if needed.

jonxp on
    edited February 2008
    Aye, totally understandable. =) No worries!

VThornheart on
  • MageGriffMageGriff Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the countdown! Looks great.

MageGriff on
    MageGriff.gif
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    After switching from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Vista, guess what Gadget I downloaded and reinstalled first?

I love my PAX gadget.

mentok1982 on
  • HaleHale Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thorn, many kudos for the timer. Simple and effective! Is it sad that I can consider "Watching time countdown until PAX" as an activity?

Hale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Cool! =) I'm really glad people like it =) Jon's working on one that combines the good looks of his timer with the countdown features of mine... you still working on that Jon? I think it'd be an awesome fusion. =)

VThornheart on
  • PorkfryPorkfry Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That is pretty sweet! Thanks for the counter!

Porkfry on
    edited April 2008
    n/p, it was fun to make! =)

VThornheart on
    edited April 2008
    Gah! This has spent too long on the back burner, and now I'm about to head off to war!

Well, no, it's really a conference in Las Vegas, but it's similar. I'll be dealing with a lot of guys in beards who want to blow up my business.

Anyways, I'll be spending a lot of time on a plane, I'll resume work on this then. There were some issues with your code (not *bad* just documentation needed) I needed to talk to you about Thorny that slowed down the previous development. I'll get in touch with you for details.

jonxp on
    edited April 2008
    Ah, you scared me for a second. If you went to war, you wouldn't be able to go to PAX! =)

I'll be the first to admit that a lot of code in there is downright horrible. I've never really attempted a project using Javascript before, and its conventions/how it does objects were confusing - to say the least - to me. I didn't really know how to organize the code at all, and in truth I didn't really know why Javascript behaved in certain ways... so undoubtedly there's gonna be some mess in there for sure. =)

I can try to go back in and document what I was thinking if it'd help! =)

VThornheart on
  • will_cut_grass_for_rupeeswill_cut_grass_for_rupees Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is awesome! Great job, code monkeys!

will_cut_grass_for_rupees on
    edited July 2008
    Hey hey!

Zombie thread lives!

I finally received enough lashes to motivate me to finish this. The new PAX sidebar gadget is here!

It has the countdown code from VT, with the layout code from me. It fits nicely in your side bar, and is pretty on your desktop. Enjoy!

jonxp on
    edited July 2008
    Hey hey!

Zombie thread lives!

I finally received enough lashes to motivate me to finish this. The new PAX sidebar gadget is here!

It has the countdown code from VT, with the layout code from me. It fits nicely in your side bar, and is pretty on your desktop. Enjoy!

Can you post a screenshot? I'd like to see what it looks like before I replace my current version.

mentok1982 on
    edited July 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Hey hey!

Zombie thread lives!

Can you post a screenshot? I'd like to see what it looks like before I replace my current version.

Sure thing! Although it looks exactly the same as both previous versions, except now they are combined into one:

paxbar.jpg

jonxp on
    edited July 2008
    Woot, it looks great Jon! Fantastic!

Ah, and it's good to see that the countdown is actually still working. I don't have the Vista virtual machine anymore, so I had no way to know if it was still going strong. =)=)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.