As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Bad Food] Thread is dead and gone forever

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oh wow those corn nuggets sound amazing

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    No mayo. Just like half-creamed spicy corn with brown roasted bits.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Corn nuggets sounds like something from the king of the hill episode where Dale bill and boomhauer all get a giant deep fryer set up and set the alley on fire when Hank forgot to pay his insurance premium.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Corn nuggets sounds like something from the king of the hill episode where Dale bill and boomhauer all get a giant deep fryer set up and set the alley on fire when Hank forgot to pay his insurance premium.

This was on TV just like a couple days ago and it really just drives the point home that all of Hank's friends would be dead without him, well, Boomhauer probably would be ok without Dale or Bill's influences.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    That episode is one of my favorites

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Dang, you got in before the edit.
    The corn nuggets are battered and deep-fried little wads of roasted corn and cayenne pepper, and we're in love and we're running away together.

A little kick of cayenne in a corn nugget sounds amazing. All the places around here are just the plain sweet ones.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I haven't had corn nuggets in a while. I love them.
    It's been so long I don't even remember where I had them.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    i have never heard of corn nuggets before this

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I... I would still have fries

There, I said it.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I... I would still have fries

There, I said it.

I have never wanted a tater tot instead of fries, but that just means I don't have to pay the up charge at restaurants

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Hello awesome food thread I am buying a bunch of food from our local Greek Orthodox church's yearly festival tomorrow

1 dozen Baklava, 1 dozen Tiropita, 1 dozen Koulourakia

Should I buy other things as well????

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hello awesome food thread I am buying a bunch of food from our local Greek Orthodox church's yearly festival tomorrow

Do gyros turn?

edited May 2022
    Goddammit, Postmates. I know it's my fault for screwing both the driver and the restaurant, but it seems like too harsh of a punishment when you substitute Chipotle-ass iceberg lettuce for cheese. This is the worst possible way to wreck a taco.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg

I like spanikopita more than baklava.

Similar but more savory and not as sweet.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

For traditional Greek I love a good stuffed grapeleaf on the savory side of things.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Do gyros turn?

The meat does, on a spit...:)

But seriously, throw enough tzatziki on it and who would know?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Oh, shit, it they got Toum you should get some!

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    SPANIKOPITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Do gyros turn?
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Do gyros turn?

The meat does, on a spit...:)

But seriously, throw enough tzatziki on it and who would know?

:) That was my alternate "Does the Pope shit in the woods?" That is, yes definitely get more food!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I made a cheesecake for the first time today.

I think the very worst thing about home baking / making your own desserts, as opposed to buying them, is you are made shockingly aware of how bad for you they are.

True. Same with any restaurant dishes that involve butter. I don't need to know how much butter as long as it's added by a generous stranger behind closed doors.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    For home cooking I've kind of stopped worrying about how much butter I use because it's still like half of whatever a restaurant would do.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I made a cheesecake for the first time today.

I think the very worst thing about home baking / making your own desserts, as opposed to buying them, is you are made shockingly aware of how bad for you they are.

The first time I made frosting I was sure I had read the recipe wrong as there was no way it was "whip a pound of butter and powdered sugar together in a stand mixer."

But no, no, that's how you make frosting.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I ate Beyond meat for the first time tonight. Pretty simple dish, just the ground not-meat with onion, garlic, ginger, and some ponzu alongside rice. The people who say it tastes exactly like beef are liars but it's not bad!

However it saw the "non stick" on my pan and thought that was a challenge so that was annoying.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Chili Mac is the Union of Chili & Mac and Cheese (9 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICBpn6R6pM

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My dad sent us down a box of Lucky Charms Pancake mix.

So I made them today for Ellie, only I did sheet pan pancakes instead of making individual ones.

The pancake mix was basically just a funfetti mix? But the box included a 2nd packet of actual Lucky Charms marshmallows. Apparently you were meant to put them on top when serving.

Oddly enough... that 2nd packet seems to have... "disappeared" somewhere into the pantry for... Mommy treats later.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Only a little way in but

No, lady

The military did not invent chili mac

I don't know that any one person did

I myself have been making it since I could reach the stovetop.

Edit: and I don't do fancy shit like shallots or making chili from scratch

Kraft Dinner and a can of Nalley's is all you need

Edit2: yeah i really don't like her attitude

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    edited May 2022
    Round 15: Burger King

o86jr79q0gnu.png

Price: $9.10 with fries.
    Toppings and condiments: Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, ketchup, mayo, cheese.
    Decent local beer on tap: None. Served at home with a Tupps Brewing Full Grown Scallywag Imperial Stout

I never ate much Burger King growing up because my mom claimed the flame broiling gave her heartburn, and I never lived or worked where it was the most convenient option.

The meat is possibly a bit more flavorful than McDonald's, but I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to be sure, and I'm not gonna. I prefer the overall construction of the Whopper to the Big Mac, and the ratio of ingredients is better. I do not miss the secret sauce. The only real advantage the Big Mac has is those dehydrated onions.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fries. A nice crunch to them, and unlike McDonald's fries the stragglers were still edible after I'd driven home and finished my burger.

Overall, if I was trapped in an airport with a McDonald's and a Burger King it'd be pretty easy to go for the Burger King based on this experiment.

Current rankings:
    1. Bar Arbolada Single Cheeseburger
    2. Ludivine Wagyu Burger
    3. New State Cheeseburger
    4. Nic's Place Diner and Lounge Signature Original Burger
    5. Burger Punk OG Punk Burger
    6. The Garage Cheeseburger
    7. Tucker's Single Onion Burger with Cheese
    8. The Patty Wagon Single With Cheese
    9. Ned's Starlite Lounge Classic Cheeseburger
    10. Packard's Burger
    11. Whataburger Double Meat Whataburger
    12. Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler Theta Burger*
    13. Burger King Whopper
    14. McDonald's Big Mac
    15. Braum's Double Quarter-Pound Cheeseburger

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The picture really confused me with the beer in the background.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, haven't you heard? BK has Guinness on tap now.

they do not

Wendy's fries are basically just bk fries now and it is extremely upsetting to me personally

I liked the natural cut ones with the sea salt

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    @Jedoc, whenever you are finished with your fantastical burger voyage, we're gonna need one last taste test from your own kitchen. Just for comparison's sake.

sig.gif
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was one of those Burger King Cantina concepts like you read about.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Long vid, but really amazing looking seafood and the chef is really cool guy. Also shows the process of how they farm the seafood.

Soft Shell Burger & Oysters + BEST SHRIMP & GRITS!! Seafood Paradise in North Carolina!! (1 hour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5IYbs77JAc

Dirtyboy on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    seieollen69j.jpg
    wb12g1zzbwtg.jpg
    🍄-shaped Gnocchi served with fiddlehead ferns, nettle-potato purée & cheddar-sauerkraut sauce. These gnocchi only look like mushrooms- thankfully much safer to eat than this variety of real life 🍄 counterpart😜.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    So last night I barbecued some burgers and pineapple slices and made Hawaii burgers (I have been there and actually eaten burgers with grilled pineapple on top so yes it's a thing). Goes great together with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle Barbecue Sauce. The kids loved it.

qd8zn5ezg32u.jpeg

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

So I made them today for Ellie, only I did sheet pan pancakes instead of making individual ones.

The pancake mix was basically just a funfetti mix? But the box included a 2nd packet of actual Lucky Charms marshmallows. Apparently you were meant to put them on top when serving.

Oddly enough... that 2nd packet seems to have... "disappeared" somewhere into the pantry for... Mommy treats later.

Child asked tonight "mommy, weren't there meant to be cereal bits on top of the pancake? That's what the picture shows!"

Oh. No darling. That's just a photo suggestion that assumes you have the cereal to hand.

Did I lie to my child to preserve the tiny crunchy marshmallows for myself?

Yes, yes I did.

Do I feel bad about it?

Nope. Not at all.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Child asked tonight "mommy, weren't there meant to be cereal bits on top of the pancake? That's what the picture shows!"

Oh. No darling. That's just a photo suggestion that assumes you have the cereal to hand.

Yes, yes I did.

Do I feel bad about it?

Nope. Not at all.

Just for the future when she's gotten wise to your hustle you can buy a massive bag of those on amazon for a few bucks.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Yes, yes I did.

Do I feel bad about it?

Nope. Not at all.

"You really shouldn't be eating those anyway, sweetie, they're so bad for you. Now run upstairs to your room and play."

*owm nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom*

This discussion has been closed.