As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This is a new game, but with retro material.
    https://youtu.be/07GQpObCATg

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Man, I remember that hologram game. The thing cost a ton of money to even try. A huge crowd would gather whenever someone actually had the guts to put quarters in at the local arcade. Then they'd die in like 3 minutes and everyone would disperse again.

I actually got to play it at an arcade in LA. It's still impossible, but fun.

wVEsyIc.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    20 years later and I still don't get it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYd6McAUTeE

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The previous President made a crack about 'grabbing women by the pussy', and the current president gropes children on stage in front of the whole world.

This is just another example of Kojima eerily predicting the future.

emnmnme wrote: »
    20 years later and I still don't get it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYd6McAUTeE

Yeeeeaaaahhhh. I don't get that either. Why did the President grab his junk?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Anyone have any experience with the arcade1up machines? I always thought they were pretty much gimmicks, and they are, but my wife grabbed me a pair of used ones, Asteroids and Centipede, and it's like being a kid again.

I'm all hyped up to get the Pac Man/Bandai collection and Midway/Mortal Kombat collection, and sideying the Big Blue Street fighter cabinet (because they put in Championship Edition, Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo, and ALL 3 Darkstalkers games, AND Saturday Night Slam masters?).

Like I know I could play all these games for.. No money essentially, but hell... The old school controls on centipede and even the knob for tempest on the asteroids cabinet... Like all the sudden I'm 10 years old.

Jealous Deva on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the arcade1up machines? I always thought they were pretty much gimmicks, and they are, but my wife grabbed me a pair of used ones, Asteroids and Centipede, and it's like being a kid again.

I'm all hyped up to get the Pac Man/Bandai collection and Midway/Mortal Kombat collection, and sideying the Big Blue Street fighter cabinet (because they put in Championship Edition, Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo, and ALL 3 Darkstalkers games, AND Saturday Night Slam masters?).

Like I know I could play all these games for.. No money essentially, but hell... The old school controls on centipede and even the knob for tempest on the asteroids cabinet... Like all the sudden I'm 10 years old.

I have the Ms. Pacman one, and I'm pretty impressed. I will be preordering a Time Crisis 1... one on day, well, one.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I wished I had the room for the Arcade 1UP machines. I'd probably have a Centipede, Star Wars, Mortal Kombat, and preordered the T2 one for my house.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I have the Ms. Pacman one, and I'm pretty impressed. I will be preordering a Time Crisis 1... one on day, well, one.

I was debating the Ms Pacman vs Bandai collection. Bandai collection has the best non-pacman game set, but Ms Pacman is the best pacman, so its a hard choice.

I was debating the Ms Pacman vs Bandai collection. Bandai collection has the best non-pacman game set, but Ms Pacman is the best pacman, so its a hard choice.

Ms. Pacman came with Mappy, Dig-Dug, and Galaga, so that was a no brainer for me.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I've been given permission by the wife to order the MvC2 one whenever orders start. She's always given me a stern "no" (though more of a "are you fucking kidding me? No! No no no!") but in this case I guess I got the puppy dog eyes right.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I've been given permission by the wife to order the MvC2 one whenever orders start. She's always given me a stern "no" (though more of a "are you fucking kidding me? No! No no no!") but in this case I guess I got the puppy dog eyes right.

Ah yes, welcome to the next-level moveset.

I have half a mind of getting a good cabinet and just loading up a decent pc with all the roms.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    MMMig wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Ah yes, welcome to the next-level moveset.

I have half a mind of getting a good cabinet and just loading up a decent pc with all the roms.

They have a cabinet like that at a local arcade, with everything just about, including PSP and Touhou fan games. :D I'm tempted, but I'm worried it might lower the appeal of just focusing on the ten I got.

wVEsyIc.png
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    The best generic cabinet would prob be a 4-player one like Simpsons, X-Men or Turtles in Time, ya?

X-Men had 2 monitors, though, others were a single wider monitor, iirc.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    Yeah. I got the TMNT cabinet. Really did not have enough room for it. Got it in the kitchen.

edited May 2022
    The 25th Anniversary Edition of the 7th Guest speeds up and smooths out the movement animations. I actually like it better.
    Really, I think they should have tried to remake the ending like it was originally intended.
    It would have been a great opportunity.

The 11th Hour has a disturbing B movie plot.
    Apparently, the house raped and inpregnated two girls. One had the child, but the other aborted it and ended up in a wheelchair.

Krathoon on
    edited May 2022
    Amiga games are so annoying. It is like you have to look at the manual for each one because they use the keys differently.
    No standardization at all.

Here was the unsuccessful Kickstarter for the third 7th Guest game.
    https://youtu.be/B16M4bjUfHc

Krathoon on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I friggin' hate the Arcade1UP games that were never ported home, and the only way you can get them now is through buying an arcade machine I simply don't have the room for.

Like, I dig Arcade1UP games in general, but... I just can't, you know? I want to, but I can't. And I hate missing out on some games because of it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Yeah. They need a port of Death Adder to the pc.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Death Adder is on the Astro City Mini (the non-V one...) along with a ton of other Sega greats.

But yeah I'm definitely more in the, if I wanted an arcade cab, I'd just build or mod one and stick everything into it. Space disappears fast if you start collecting different games.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeeeeaaaahhhh. I don't get that either. Why did the President grab his junk?

Spoilers:
    The Patriots had someone on Big Shell at the same time Raiden was there, but their agent was a female. The President knew this, and thought Raiden was the agent, but got confused when he saw him up close and saw a man's face... so he decided to double check.

Wait Death Adder is on the golden axe 1up?

Damn it thats like 500 dollars more I need to spend now .

Wait Death Adder is on the golden axe 1up?

Damn it thats like 500 dollars more I need to spend now .

Yes. The 1up machine has Death Addder on it.

edited May 2022
    Death adder was interesting because I am pretty sure my local arcade had it, and I never realized that it wasn’t just Golden Axe. So for a long time I thought golden axe for genesis was just a really bad port.

Then after I realized golden axe wasn’t the game I played it occupied a weird place in my brain because I couldn’t remember if I was just misremembering one of the D&D or capcom games, then finally I saw a lets play of Death adder and it all clicked.

Jealous Deva on
    Yeah. Death Adder was really the next evolution of Golden Axe. They never ported it to consoles.
    They really need to port it in a Golden Axe collection.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Beat MGS2. It's as batshit and longwinded as ever and that qualifies the game as retro; they don't make 'em like that anymore.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLF53T4eHWY

I didn't know about, like, three quarters of this stuff. lol @ 15:05.

The only real problem with getting a golden axe machine is that one day they will probably do a shadows of mystara cabinet and having 2 four player fantasy themed beat’em up cabinets would just be absurd.

I am enjoying hooking the laptop up to the tv. It made the living room a secondary computer room.
    I played Siren and Incredible Crisis on it in emulators.

I may have some input lag on Incredible Crisis. Either that or it is really sensitive on detecting button presses.

I kind of wish I got a bigger tv.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Golden Axe just makes me sad on the whole these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr9Qo1iBMF4

I would seriously put money down upon announcement for a complete Golden Axe collection, though. Throw in Golden Axed, even, because that was pretty slick.

I'd also like to see a regular-styled Golden Axe using the characters from The Duel, because I like next generation-type stuff.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    For some reason, the PlayStation Store will not let me add funds. Says an error has occurred.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    For some reason, the PlayStation Store will not let me add funds. Says an error has occurred.

What device?

Nitsua wrote: »

What device?

This was on the website. I could only get it to work if I bought a gift card.
    I was trying to get House of the Dead 4 on the PS3.

I think my credits cards are flagging the PlayStation Store for some reason.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    This is a few months old, but you can now get a handheld powerful enough to run Gamecube games with enhanced graphics for 250 - 300 dollars.

https://youtu.be/-NaQR9eVDB8

I remember when the GBA was released, the idea that a handheld was capable of almost being a portable SNES while also playing "3D" games blew my mind. Then, later, the PSP basically being a "portable PS2" was absolutely wild.

Now a cheap handheld can play emulated GC games (instead of ports), and that makes me wonder what the future holds.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Also, the mister psx core is out of beta:

https://youtu.be/bjlo23T9UJ0

A Saturn core is probably on the way in the next year or so, and that may be the end of things for the foreseeable future. At least until a new fpga is decided on and/or there is a sea change in the amount of person-hours it takes to program a core, such as employing an ai to do some of the work.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    august wrote: »
    This is a few months old, but you can now get a handheld powerful enough to run Gamecube games with enhanced graphics for 250 - 300 dollars.

https://youtu.be/-NaQR9eVDB8

That looks super neat. I've not watched the entire video, but the battery life and price point seem eminently reasonable. I feel like now I have a Steam Deck, I don't really have a use case for a dedicated (or dedicated-ish) separate emulation handheld, at least aside from something much smaller and thus easily pocketable (RG351 etc), but the Odin seems like a good product for not silly money.

It also has one big feature the Steam Deck does not, which is a relatively easily replaceable battery. The Deck is very modular and easily repairable for just about everything else but the battery is, seemingly inexplicably, the hardest part to replace besides the screen.

I remember when the GBA was released, the idea that a handheld was capable of almost being a portable SNES while also playing "3D" games blew my mind. Then, later, the PSP basically being a "portable PS2" was absolutely wild.

Now a cheap handheld can play emulated GC games (instead of ports), and that makes me wonder what the future holds.

Oh yeah, having a handheld that could not only run Doom, but run it so much better than the SNES could (damning with faint praise there but it WAS stunning on the GBA), was pretty incredible for 2001. Then a mere four years later - hard to believe it was that short of a timeframe, and even shorter if you imported one - the PSP was running jaw-dropping stuff like Wipeout Pure and GTA: Liberty City Stories with ease, and even the relatively simple Lumines looked amazing... and we've not even touched on the DS here. It really was a great time for handhelds.

I guess the big thing now is trading off portability and size. As these machines get to emulating GC level stuff, you do start needing a bigger screen to recreate the right kind of fidelity, which makes the machines less and less pocketable. Even in the mainstream we're there, with the Switch Lite the smallest handheld produced by a major game company now, and even that's not really pocket size although it's a marked difference from the regular Switch. Other machines have gone the other way, like the Steam Deck doesn't even try to be pocketable.

Honestly it reminds me a bit of the Atari Lynx, in both its sizes. Great handheld, virtually unpocketable unless you actually modified your clothing to suit. And the Game Gear and TurboExpress et al weren't much better in that regard... one factor often overlooked in the success of the original Game Boy was that it was the only really pocketable handheld of that generation, and of course eventually it got even better that way with the GBP, GBC and ultimately GBA and SP.

I wonder if people these days are more used to having a bag these things can go in, where things like your laptop or tablet already reside so you don't need to necessarily bring a bag along just for your handheld console.

Jazz on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Nitsua wrote: »

What device?

This was on the website. I could only get it to work if I bought a gift card.
    I was trying to get House of the Dead 4 on the PS3.

I think my credits cards are flagging the PlayStation Store for some reason.

It’s not that, I got this a few months back (and posted about it on the PSN thread) - SONY has turned off all credit card purchases on PS3 and Vita. If you have Gift cards they still work (and you can add to your wallet on the website, PS4 and PS5 stores and use it on PS3 and Vita still) but card transactions won’t go through.

“ Starting 27th October, 2021, you can no longer use a credit or debit card, or a payment method such as PayPal, to buy digital content or add funds to your wallet when visiting PlayStation™Store on your PS3™ console or PS Vita system.

To buy digital content for your PS3 console or PS Vita system, you must first add sufficient funds to your wallet on PlayStation Store. You can add funds by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card, using a credit or debit card, PayPal, or other available payment methods via a desktop computer, mobile device, a PS4 console or a PS5 console. ”

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/important-notice/

Nitsua on
    Disco Elysium is around $13 now.
    https://www.gog.com/en/game/disco_elysium