As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stilettos and Shadows (and other tabletop games)

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Same! Just got the email yesterday.

On that note, I shan't link to it, but have you checked out Die? It just popped up on Kickstarter. It's an RPG by Kieron Gillen!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Thanks to a moment of panicky improv that seems to be a characteristic of my GMing, the pirate treasure my players are being enticed with by the mutinous crew is a pair of silver long johns

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm very excited for DIE

The comic is a really fun read if you've ever played tabletop games (also presumably if you haven't, but check what thread you're in), specifically playing with the group dynamics and the weird messy bleed between character and player and all that

And the game is pretty much supposed to be that too! I haven't read a whole lot since like, some of the earliest playtest documents, but I expect it will be a wild ride

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Well turns out they lied about the delay and it arrived today

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's funny that I see DIE mentioned here in passing and then all of a sudden I see an ad for it on my facebook.

*sigh* Whelp. I think it's time to give up on this idea of running a game. We were going to do it months ago. Almost a year ago. But... the books got delayed, and then no one stepped up to be event planner / coordinator.. And it would've been super hard anyways because of scheduling involving the game store employees.

It still bums me out though. It feels like I have no one to hang out with anymore.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thanks to a moment of panicky improv that seems to be a characteristic of my GMing, the pirate treasure my players are being enticed with by the mutinous crew is a pair of silver long johns

Plainly, their next quest should be to retrieve the golden double pantaloons, and then eventually the bronze shorts, so that they might finally be reunited and achieve their true power.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "The Society Opposing Aggressive Pantheons. We will scrub away 99.9% of all gods that would harm others."

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So having sat down with Ruins of Symbaroum a bit, I really love what they've done with the classes

This is partially just because they added a Warlord-esque class to 5e admittedly

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Plainly, their next quest should be to retrieve the golden double pantaloons, and then eventually the bronze shorts, so that they might finally be reunited and achieve their true power.

The main antagonist should wear the obsidian jorts.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I gotta come up with a GITS style plot for the sunday after this one.

God it's hard to do GITS mysteries, please fill me with your wisdom so I can have more variety.

(Suggest post cyberpunk cop plots, my current one is about overreach to access a banks records before they can doctor them for court)

Religious cult that turns people’s cyber brains into crypto mining rigs during their trance like prayer sessions.

This honestly might be the plot of my next episode.

"The government recognized financial disparities.

You, the Panopticon team investigate that with no respect for banks rights"

Okay, gonna hold off on the cult cyber brain crypto stuff. Mainly because the first episode was about a psychiatrist abusing his patients cyberbrains to form DDOS attacks of trauma.

Instead I'm going with the Michigo Finance group: A loose conglomerate of Chinese banks, investment groups and insurance companies that make up 15% of the UK's finance sector after being present for only five years.

This meteoric rise got them tagged for light investigations. Ones that were blockaded by political leanings from China accusing the UK of restricting outside finance they had invited in after the war. While those court cases are still ongoing it's widely believed that any files forced out of the group by them will only prove innocence, whether because of genuine innocence or expert doctoring of the books. In recent months Panopticon's investigation teams have linked several cases of what appear to be insider trading, absurd luck or insurance malpractice to the group and increasing violence and tensions.

So now Panopticon Team 1 has being deployed to use their extra legal permissions to investigate the rise in violence and financial control. The team is to discover whether it was genuine fortune and good financial instincts or malpractice. Additionally several military advisors are worried that the Michigo Group represents a Chinese project to undermine or control the UK.

Also present in this scenario is a free anarchist online group that run a sci-fi torrent site. One Panopticon's experts considered mostly benign but seems to have become compromised as a method to allow illicit payments and orders to be sent.
    The secret answers to most of those things are:

The Michigo Finance Group is only partially compromised. Particularly their largest bank and a smaller investment firm that exists in the Channel Free Economic Zone are the bad actors. They use large scale social media manipulation, bad actors and the occasional blunt force from imported Triad heavies and local muscle to effect market changes and insurance pay outs in the recovering from the war UK.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I come seeking aid!

A few months ago I posted about my own campaign setting Broken Ring that basically reskins classical DnD into a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid set in a ruined ringworld. I ended up starting a campaign in it with three friends and it's going quite well! The last session ended with them stranded on a wrecked ship near the ruins of a high-tech station. My plan was for this to be the first big branching point; they'll have many places to travel to once they've restored the ship's engine, but will soon starve unless they can find a source of food.

The thing I'm lacking is a good system for handling their ship, and technology in general. The main system we're running the game on is Dungeon World, which has worked great for human-scale combat and skill checks, but I think that a more concrete system for investing money and found scrap into improving their ship would give the rewards my players find so much more meaning.

What I'm hoping for is a system with good mechanics for designing ships (space or otherwise), preferably with several tiers of the important components like armor, engines, and weapons. Bonus points for interesting ship-to-ship combat and repairs, double bonus points if there are actual systems for restoring and/or building ship components using scrap. Any recommendations?

Vic on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I come seeking aid!

A few months ago I posted about my own campaign setting Broken Ring that basically reskins classical DnD into a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid set in a ruined ringworld. I ended up starting a campaign in it with three friends and it's going quite well! The last session ended with them stranded on a wrecked ship near the ruins of a high-tech station. My plan was for this to be the first big branching point; they'll have many places to travel to once they've restored the ship's engine, but will soon starve unless they can find a source of food.

The thing I'm lacking is a good system for handling their ship, and technology in general. The main system we're running the game on is Dungeon World, which has worked great for human-scale combat and skill checks, but I think that a more concrete system for investing money and found scrap into improving their ship would give the rewards my players find so much more meaning.

What I'm hoping for is a system with good mechanics for designing ships (space or otherwise), preferably with several tiers of the important components like armor, engines, and weapons. Bonus points for interesting ship-to-ship combat and repairs, double bonus points if there are actual systems for restoring and/or building ship components using scrap. Any recommendations?

Its probably still too abstract for what you're looking for but Uncharted Worlds is another PBTA game that has rules for running space ships.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular

You could send them after a single article of swimwear hidden by a legendary pirate

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I come seeking aid!

Its probably still too abstract for what you're looking for but Uncharted Worlds is another PBTA game that has rules for running space ships.

I'll check it out! I don't mind having to fill out a lot of the details, I just didn't want to design something all the way from the ground up.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Woah.

Out of the blue, SR6 FAQ.

This is big. literally, I mean. Jeez.

https://www.shadowrunsixthworld.com/shadowrun-sixth-world-faq/

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Athenor wrote: »
    Woah.

Out of the blue, SR6 FAQ.

This is big. literally, I mean. Jeez.

https://www.shadowrunsixthworld.com/shadowrun-sixth-world-faq/

Why is it big?

edit: wait, I see you said literally

edit edit: holy fuck, you weren't kidding

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Speaking of Shadowrun, turns out cyberdecks are here and they are adorable.

Glal on
  • Options
    asofyeun wrote: »

You could send them after a single article of swimwear hidden by a legendary pirate

Maybe in some kind of locker

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    hey, two questions

1: is there a good homebrew hack/supplemental for mechs in 5e D&D?

2: is there a good card/tarot based community building game a la Quiet Year that isn't so focused on engaging with a map?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    hey, two questions

2: is there a good card/tarot based community building game a la Quiet Year that isn't so focused on engaging with a map?

I don’t have the answers you’re looking for, but Lancer, while cribbing more from D&D 4E, is all about action, bonus action and reaction type turn based combat.

For the next one, what do you want in place of the map? Without the map I don’t see much to sink your teeth into. I mean, you could play something like Quiet Year and just write down the results of choices.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    ideally something like Anomaly, but not themed around SCP/Control esque foundation

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This looks like a fun read, though I hope it's more about megacorp politics than drake bickering:
    sqse6wu6hxrg.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Ah, I've seen good things about Ironsworn, and I have some fondness for Tolkien, I might look into that!

Love Azul. Good game, but the tactile experience is *chefkiss*, beautiful clicky tiles. It does make me miss playing dominoes a bunch, tho.

Verb and writes: ...No idea if my parents like Railroad Ink, I keep forgetting to ask if they've played. I've been eyeing Welcome to the Moon off and on, but given my AP with Railroad Ink, I think I'll need to build up to any Welcome to... Or even Cartographers. I did not manage to get Floor Plan to the table before I left New Zealand, but supposedly, there's a release coming based on the Winchester Mystery House. !!! I used to draw tons of floorplans as a kid, so I'm still excited to play it someday.

In continuing ~2 player goodness:
    I know Sleeping Gods is the new hotness, but I'll probably pick up Haven before any of the other Ryan Laukat games -- it's a collab with Alf Seegert, and --while I haven't played a game by either of them-- I'm a little obsessed with the latter's Illumination and The Road to Canterbury as seeming very much my shit. Cheeky, unusual gameplay.

We played Air, Land, and Sea for the first time a couple weeks ago (the Critters at War retheme is fun), and I pulled defeat from the jaws of victory by pointing out how my beau could win the first round ( during scoring; I am a generous competitor), and he then proceeded to roll me for the rest of the game despite my clever plans, heh. It's an interesting puzzle. I haven't played much of Jaipur, but so far I think these two games live up to their rep as great, light filler in the sense of speed, while offering a lot of strategic thinking.

...Also considering ordering myself the Andean theming of Patchwork, since I left the Chinese edition with my sister.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Forgot to mention, I finally gathered up the courage to open up the Apollo 47 Technical Handbook, and it is so fucking cool. None of the manuals make much sense to me (because I'm not a fuckin astronaut, presumably), but just looking at them is such a neat experience and would be a great reference for terms and stuff to use during that game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    hey, two questions

The Ground Itself has less map requirements. Depending on your specific goals for it you might want to hack the time mechanic a bit, but you can easily do that by changing the die size/parameters or rerolling.

That's the only one I've got off the top of my head that is specifically close to The Quiet Year in that - if you want to ditch the card mechanic or go wider in scope I might have a few more.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    hey, two questions

1. My group is playing a cyberpunk dnd mod called Technomancers, and I'm playing an artificer, which is that game is a mech pilot. It's not full on like MechWarrior, but I am able to configure my mech to three different types (up close defense, long range artillery and quick anime style melee.) I can send you the pdf when I get home if you like

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    hey, two questions

1. My group is playing a cyberpunk dnd mod called Technomancers, and I'm playing an artificer, which is that game is a mech pilot. It's not full on like MechWarrior, but I am able to configure my mech to three different types (up close defense, long range artillery and quick anime style melee.) I can send you the pdf when I get home if you like

Can I get in on that? Or a link to whoever is selling it.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Of course.

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MPdqT3GbDDb_VQ1BpAX

Also as a heads up I'm not sure if this mod wasn't combat tested or if the weapon prices weren't tested or if our gm is just overpaying us for jobs but I bought a grenade launcher at level 2 and it made most combat encounters somewhat trivial.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

I have one of these on order. Which is a pretty bad choice spending wise given my lack of real use for it outside of "a TV remote with a bad interface" but still, it was too cute.

For D&D mechs the closest you'll get is Unity which runs on a 2d10 D&D 4th edition derivative but features fully involved mechs and rules for them.

Also I'm watching Stargate S9 and increasingly into the BS politics of mega space opera + espionage requirements. Someone really should make a Forged in the Dark game where active play is playing a team of guys from your roster scouting or doing a mission on some foreign world and the downtime is managing your XCOM/political aspect.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I have one of these on order. Which is a pretty bad choice spending wise given my lack of real use for it outside of "a TV remote with a bad interface" but still, it was too cute.
    I'm excited to see what people like this do with it. Civil disobedience through hacking tamagochis is the future I want to live in.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I gotta come up with a GITS style plot for the sunday after this one.

God it's hard to do GITS mysteries, please fill me with your wisdom so I can have more variety.

(Suggest post cyberpunk cop plots, my current one is about overreach to access a banks records before they can doctor them for court)

Religious cult that turns people’s cyber brains into crypto mining rigs during their trance like prayer sessions.

This honestly might be the plot of my next episode.

"The government recognized financial disparities.

You, the Panopticon team investigate that with no respect for banks rights"

Out of curiosity, what system are you playing this in? My current cyberpunk campaign is in Shadowrun but running a game that is much more straight-up GitS is really appealing to me.

I’m running this using a custom system called Panopticon. I can send you the play test docs if you’d like. Being meaning to type up a more formal version of them anyways.

The core mechanic is a die pool where each Problem opposing success in your roll is a dice. The more skilled you are the smaller the dice is in size

Then roll and anything over half the value (so a 4+ for a d6) is discarded. The remaining pool is your Result that the GM can spend to generate consequences (4 is the cost of outright failure).

It’s designed to be very free wheeling and to portray hyper competent action folk in the vibe of GiTS, Cowboy Bebop or Resident Evil.

@Albino Bunny I forgot to follow up on this, if you want to pm me the docs I'd love to take a look-see

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Hey thanks for the town map, Quid. What was the name of it again?"

"Uh, the town of, uh, Map. Mapton. It's the town of Mapton."

Great work, brain.

• Options
    Named after Eustace Map, inventor of the map

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    What are everyone's favorite prewritten adventures/adventure paths/similar?

I'm planning to be a fill-in GM sometime soon. One of my campaign pitches might be Pathfinder for Savage Worlds, running their Rise of the Runelords AP. Googling around, I found this post
    https://udan-adan.blogspot.com/2016/11/condensation-in-action-rise-of.html

Which cuts down and refactors it to be less railroady. I like this concept, and it aligns with other good GM advice I've heard: prep situations, not plots. It also shortens and flattens it out levelwise, which is fine for SW, a flatter system to begin with. Trying to re-do the levels in Pathfinder would be a lot of work, in SW, you probably just tweak the number of enemies and add some special abilities to make the later ones a little tougher.

So I guess I'm looking for prewritten stuff that follows that sort of philosophy.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @captaink, what about Red Hand of Doom from D&D 3.5?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Named after Eustace Map, inventor of wallpaper

Fixed.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Not familiar, what is its deal?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

Not familiar, what is its deal?

Its an adventure module for 3.5 in which the players have to prepare for an incoming invasion of Hobgoblins lead by a half-dragon warlord. There are different options the players can take to bolster their chances against repelling the invasion.

In that way it can be a bit non-linear as the players might decide to try to sway the local Hill Giants into defending the town against the army. In other spots the players can perform actions to slow down the invasion force (like destroying bridges).

Its a fun adventure module that is somewhat non-linear.

• Options
    But speaking of Rise of the Runelords, I did just purchase the pocket edition of Curse of the Crimson Throne for Pathfinder 1E.

My Pathfinder 1E pocket library continues to grow.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
This discussion has been closed.