As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    So, who here is surprised that Blue Sky got murdered over LGBTQ content:
    Blue Sky Studios, the animation studio behind the "Ice Age" series, was deep in development on its movie "Nimona," based on the graphic novel of the same name by ND Stevenson, when the studio was shut down in February 2021 after 34 years.

Disney had inherited Blue Sky in its 2019 acquisition of the Fox film studio and other assets. Two years into the merger, Disney shuttered Blue Sky, effectively scrapping "Nimona" ahead of a planned January 2022 release.

The movie, Blue Sky staffers told Insider last year, centered on a gender non-conforming main character and featured LGBTQ+ themes rarely seen in animated movies. But some staffers said more recently that some of the concepts faced pushback from Disney.

Yeah, me either. Perhaps letting the numbers guy be in charge was a bad idea.

In followup, Netflix is going to see if they can make lightning strike twice and has acquired the rights to Nimona:

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Great to hear but still sucks that all the work Blue Sky did got thrown out, possibly due to homophobia.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Great to hear but still sucks that all the work Blue Sky did got thrown out, possibly due to homophobia.

At the very least it sounds like they have a number of Blue Sky alums involved with it:
    Now, DNEG (Ron’s Gone Wrong) is animating it out of its London studio with Blue Sky veterans and Spies in Disguise directors Nick Bruno and Troy Quane at the helm. Roy Lee, Karen Ryan and Julie Zackary are producing, with Robert L. Baird, Megan Ellison, and Andrew Millstein on board as executive producers.

• Options
    Oh, nice! I was a bit concerned with DNEG's relative lack of track record but this definitely helps.

• Options
    The other thing that's reassuring is that Netflix has a solid working relationship with Stevenson, so they should be relatively hands off here.

• Options

At the very least it sounds like they have a number of Blue Sky alums involved with it:
    Now, DNEG (Ron’s Gone Wrong) is animating it out of its London studio with Blue Sky veterans and Spies in Disguise directors Nick Bruno and Troy Quane at the helm. Roy Lee, Karen Ryan and Julie Zackary are producing, with Robert L. Baird, Megan Ellison, and Andrew Millstein on board as executive producers.

In followup, it looks like they're picking up where they left off:

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Young justice

Hello, my name is
    Dru

Dru Zod

General Dru Zod

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Young justice

Hello, my name is
    Dru

Dru Zod

General Dru Zod

In retrospect, the
    Phantom Zone
    should have been obvious, but I admit that I wasn't thinking in that direction at all.

Rocket was awful unwilling to accept Orion's issues, given what she deals with at home.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Halfway through season 3 of Close Enough. Enjoying the show about as much as the previous one though I wish the episodes had a a bit more time to breathe.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Rocket was awful unwilling to accept Orion's issues, given what she deals with at home.

That's exactly the point they're making.

This version of Orion has inherited his biological (mythological?) father's compulsive need for control and volatile hatred of freedom. But through the combination of a disciplined upbringing and medication (motherbox), he has learned how to not only resist his tyrannical nature but also focus it on altruistic goals. This makes him a vital military asset to his people, as violence is not in the nature of the gods who are native to New Genesis.

Rocket's son craves routine and structure. He despises anything he perceives as disorganized. He makes objective value judgements that demonstrate a lack of empathy. These could be positive traits if properly cultivated. But Rocket has so far shown a willingness to indulge her son's worst impulses, stunting his potential.

She hasn't had her epiphany yet, but she will, likely after having a chance to talk to Avia about Orion's childhood.

Jack Kirby envisioned Orion as good's ultimate weapon, evil turned against itself. His time fighting in World War 2 had made him realize that good men must embrace the dark side of their nature to protect their loved ones from evil men. This contradiction inspired him to create a god of soldiers, a dog of war. Spawned from evil, but molded by familial love into a force for good.

The show is providing an interesting variant on Kirby's original take. People with antisocial tendencies can sometimes become better at reading others than those to whom socialization comes naturally, but only if they're encouraged to put the effort in. Orion's story has a lot of parallels to people who face such struggles in life.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    With the latest episode of amphibia... was not expecting the Midsommar reference, not gonna lie.

• Options

This version of Orion has inherited his biological (mythological?) father's compulsive need for control and volatile hatred of freedom. But through the combination of a disciplined upbringing and medication (motherbox), he has learned how to not only resist his tyrannical nature but also focus it on altruistic goals. This makes him a vital military asset to his people, as violence is not in the nature of the gods who are native to New Genesis.

Rocket's son craves routine and structure. He despises anything he perceives as disorganized. He makes objective value judgements that demonstrate a lack of empathy. These could be positive traits if properly cultivated. But Rocket has so far shown a willingness to indulge her son's worst impulses, stunting his potential.

She hasn't had her epiphany yet, but she will, likely after having a chance to talk to Avia about Orion's childhood.

Jack Kirby envisioned Orion as good's ultimate weapon, evil turned against itself. His time fighting in World War 2 had made him realize that good men must embrace the dark side of their nature to protect their loved ones from evil men. This contradiction inspired him to create a god of soldiers, a dog of war. Spawned from evil, but molded by familial love into a force for good.

The show is providing an interesting variant on Kirby's original take. People with antisocial tendencies can sometimes become better at reading others than those to whom socialization comes naturally, but only if they're encouraged to put the effort in. Orion's story has a lot of parallels to people who face such struggles in life.

That's some excellent information, and a lot to think about/watch for going forward. Thanks!

Young Justice... moar like Young Social Justice Warriors, amirite?

But seriously it's amazing that they'll take a few minutes out of episodes to just have a character talk about being a nonbinary Muslim for awhile, or deal with an entire arc of someone's depression and PTSD without explosions.

This fuckin' show, man.

• Options

That's some excellent information, and a lot to think about/watch for going forward. Thanks!

Young Justice... moar like Young Social Justice Warriors, amirite?

But seriously it's amazing that they'll take a few minutes out of episodes to just have a character talk about being a nonbinary Muslim for awhile, or deal with an entire arc of someone's depression and PTSD without explosions.

This fuckin' show, man.

Last season had Batman staging a hoax alien invasion to give the Outsiders a better media narrative and Wonder Woman calling him out on it.

And this season had Zatarra talking down Nabu by reciting the entire Lord's Prayer with a giant glowing crucifix behind him.

It's definitely a show that's not afraid to tackle controversial topics, and not always from the direction you would expect.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    It's the kind of thing that makes me realize I had Greg Weisman pegged somewhat wrong.

Certain writing flourishes of his gave me the impression that of theme, plot, and character, he's the relatively rare writer who greatly favors plot. (Most modern writers seem to prefer character to do the heavy lifting, and some others put most of their eggs in the theme basket.) Which isn't to say there were no themes or poor character development in his shows' writing, but that he has a great preference for complex twisty plots with "a-ha!" moments where the hero or villain explicates on their brilliant plan, or how they countered their enemy's brilliant plan. (This seems to also be a function of his love of ancient conspiracy plots.) And sometimes he has to put such scenes in, so that the audience can catch up. (This results in such things as, if you were watching a marathon, there being basically fifteen solid minutes of exposition and "as you know..." between the end of season 2 episode 18 and the start of season 2 episode 19.)

But seasons 3 and 4 have shown he's occasionally very willing to go as heavy on theme and character as he does plot.

• Options
    So today's Young Justice is a follow up to two TV shows.

One is a cartoon based on DC Comics that was abruptly cancelled in 2013 when the new management at Cartoon Network decided to take the channel's programing in a different tonal direction.

And the other is Young Justice.

• Options

One is a cartoon based on DC Comics that was abruptly cancelled in 2013 when the new management at Cartoon Network decided to take the channel's programing in a different tonal direction.

That the CGI Green Lantern show?

I barely remember it, except that Kilowog remains good in every incarnation.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I am surprised to learn Claymation was around in the 1930s. I thought that Harryhausen guy came up with the technique in the 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngpOmHO8Hxo

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Do you mean claymation specifically, or stop motion in general?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Stop motion with puppets.

EDIT: Did Claymation start with Gumby?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Claymation seems to start in the 1910's.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
  • Options
    The story doesn't make sense but this is otherwise well-made.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIABEQWRYN8

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So I’m kind of surprised at how good The Owl House has gotten. It started as just kind of a fun show but the plot, especially after today’s episode, has taken a darker turn in a really great way.

Progression wise it kind of reminds me of what happened with Gravity falls.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I’m kind of surprised at how good The Owl House has gotten. It started as just kind of a fun show but the plot, especially after today’s episode, has taken a darker turn in a really great way.

Progression wise it kind of reminds me of what happened with Gravity falls.

Yeah, in my personal view Amphibia was always the superior show, but lately Owl House is starting to creep up on it. I think Amphibia's shorter episode format and lighter tone are impacting the drama.
    The nature of Amphibia's antagonists has been revealed, and currently the big mystery is the magical stones and how they connect to the main cast.

Owl House's current antagonist is still rife with mystery even after all the revelations - is he the big bad, under the thrall of the colossal magical dead titan, or is the titan actually holding back an even greater evil still?

I like both show's villains and their whole deal, but I think Owl House has edged out Amphibia in that respect. I'll have to see how both shows wrap up - they're both still really good.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

That the CGI Green Lantern show?

I barely remember it, except that Kilowog remains good in every incarnation.

The show was really good, ended in a cliff hanger that the recent YJ episode kinda resolved.

It's similar to Justice League Unlimited doing the Batman Beyond epilogue.

• Options
    Went and saw The Bad Guys. It's very predictable, the emotional journey is a bit forced, and the dialog could use some sharpening. But none of it falls into the cringe territory as so many Dreamworks movies do.

But that animation! It's not quite as impressive as Into the Spider-Verse or The Mitchells vs. The Machines, but it's very well done. Everything has a hand-drawn feel to it, from the outlines around the eyes to the puffs of dust to the somewhat abstract backgrounds. And the movie goes bonkers with fun poses and silly facial expressions. They especially wring maximum comedy value out of Snake, who has no limbs but still emotes impressively with segments of himself. (Also Snake is Marc Maron playing a caffinated Marc Maron.) Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the medium.

I've got to say, I'm really enjoying all these CG movies that are finally putting creativity over being as realistic as possible.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Latest episode of Owl House reminded me how amazing this show has been at developing characters and relationships.
    The golden Guard’s story arc has felt natural and well paced, and the same for how they developed Luz and Amity’s relationship so that it didn’t feel forced and is one of the best romantic arcs I’ve seen in animation.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8&ab_channel=Netflix

Yow!

Everything in this is already looking better to me than what S2 had.
    3 robots return, yey!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8&ab_channel=Netflix

Yow!

Everything in this is already looking better to me than what S2 had.
    3 robots return, yey!

Season 2 was just such a dreary mess. There were a couple that were fine, but it was mostly forgettable. I still just want a whole series of Sonny's Edge.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Second on recommending The Bad Guys. Lot of character and very snappy animation.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Was not expecting to get so emotional at the series finale of Amphibia but

oof

ooow

my heart

• Options
    Amphibia is over, and it was great!

I love all these frog people.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    When is the finale showing up on D+?

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I love the fact that
    Their super powered forms were Legally Distinct Rayearth

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Also so like
    Do you get to put “Stopped the invasion of the earth from an interdimensional military force” and “Next in line to be the deity that watches over existence” on your herpetologist job applications? Is that too much of a flex?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The next Pixar thing is called Elemental, which is about a mixed society with beings made of air, water, fire, and earth. (Insert The Last Airbender joke here.)

It's being directed by Peter Sohn, aka the guy who did The Good Dinosaur, which in case you've forgotten (you almost certainly did) answered the question "what if the dinosaurs never died" in the most boring way possible. So who knows if it'll be any good.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Also: wanna see one of the best, if not the best, sequences in The Bad Guys in its entirety? Here ya go:

Just, holy shit.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    The next Pixar thing is called Elemental, which is about a mixed society with beings made of air, water, fire, and earth. (Insert The Last Airbender joke here.)

It's being directed by Peter Sohn, aka the guy who did The Good Dinosaur, which in case you've forgotten (you almost certainly did) answered the question "what if the dinosaurs never died" in the most boring way possible. So who knows if it'll be any good.

The girl looks hot hhrmrheheheh

I have to say that concept perked me up. It reminds me of a dream I had that was specifically about a Pixar movie concept (only it was hard- and soft-bodied animals, not elements). Not sure about the seemingly modern city setting, but if the buildings are all heavily elemental flavored like the art suggests it could be fun.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

so many questions...

Was the original title 'the Humors"?

Is the main antagonist Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier?

Is there a character called 'Surprise'?

DanHibiki on