As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I wish I was even a quarter as good as jorbs

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have no willpower, if I see something that would be incredible and make a unique fun run but could also destroy the run I take 100% of the time

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The top StS players have reached heights that I honestly didn't think possible several years ago. Like, 80% winrate for Heart kills on A20 or whatever. That's just bonkers.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    The top StS players have reached heights that I honestly didn't think possible several years ago. Like, 80% winrate for Heart kills on A20 or whatever. That's just bonkers.

I remember reading some of the negative Steam reviews and people complaining on the Steam forums how the game is all about luck and how it sucks and how they never draw the right cards etc. Some people just don't understand how skill works in games like this at all. So bad they do not realize they are bad so it must be the game's fault if they lose.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

I remember reading some of the negative Steam reviews and people complaining on the Steam forums how the game is all about luck and how it sucks and how they never draw the right cards etc. Some people just don't understand how skill works in games like this at all. So bad they do not realize they are bad so it must be the game's fault if they lose.

In fairness, I said the same about A20 a couple years back. Not in a negative way, just a "know what you're getting yourself into" sort of way. And well, turns out no one was good enough at the time to know how wrong that was :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

you're think the genre name of "deckbuilding" would clue people in, but no.

The game as of patch 2.2 is a easier than 1.0 was at A20, for sure (still fairly difficult for us mere mortals though)

Not only because of watcher, but buffs across the board

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

I have coworkers that have been playing the game for ages and haven't really pieced together how to consistently win a run. We're talking 500 hours of logged game time and haven't unlocked Ascension level 10 on any class (I'm honestly not sure they even made it to 5 but there's no achievement for that for me to be sure). I'm pretty sure a good chunk of this was played without thought and while high, but there's still a degree of "this game doesn't seem fair, I don't understand how you can win so often. I can't be that much worse than you." and that's really just how some people are going to look at it.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Maybe eventually we will just get a catch-all thread for deckbuilder roguelikes but for now I figure this is as good a place as any to drop this recommendation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOwvZqln6LI

(Note: the video is from pre-release)

Pawnbarian is a turn-based roguelike deckbuilder, where instead of cards you upgrade your chess pieces which tell your character how to move on the board and what happens when they do. So you might upgrade a bishop with the ability to attack in cardinal directions after completing its diagonal move, or maybe a rook with an ability that prevents one damage this turn after moving in a cardinal direction.

It's a very minimalist game, but very addictive. Highly recommend.

joshofalltrades on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I have coworkers that have been playing the game for ages and haven't really pieced together how to consistently win a run. We're talking 500 hours of logged game time and haven't unlocked Ascension level 10 on any class (I'm honestly not sure they even made it to 5 but there's no achievement for that for me to be sure). I'm pretty sure a good chunk of this was played without thought and while high, but there's still a degree of "this game doesn't seem fair, I don't understand how you can win so often. I can't be that much worse than you." and that's really just how some people are going to look at it.

As good as StS is - and i think of the Rougelike cardgames on the market that i've played, it's still the best tuned in terms of fair, engaging difficulty at all levels - It fucking sucks at teaching you how to play it well.

Which, to be fair - i dont think even the devs know how to play it well (I've had Casey tell me he thinks A20 heart is just no fun, while i think it's a really great evoactive challenge. So... Uh, one of the two devs is CLEARLY WRONG here.)

Also on Rougelikes general stuff:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

Backpack hero lets you lean into some real bullshit. (This was the final boss)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ive been interested in mobile deckbuilders and am sad that Monster Train has not digitized yet.

I bounced hard off of Dawncaster when the the blood dog showed up because I'm not into that kind of inflexible optimization puzzle. I'm considering getting into Slay the Spire instead.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I'm trying out Downfall and uh... Gosh these boss characters have complicated mechanics. Yeesh.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    As good as StS is - and i think of the Rougelike cardgames on the market that i've played, it's still the best tuned in terms of fair, engaging difficulty at all levels - It fucking sucks at teaching you how to play it well.

Which, to be fair - i dont think even the devs know how to play it well (I've had Casey tell me he thinks A20 heart is just no fun, while i think it's a really great evoactive challenge. So... Uh, one of the two devs is CLEARLY WRONG here.)

The game tends (or tended) to be tuned for meeting specific challenges that you would have to prepare for. This gives a lot of the difficulty in the game a dark souls like structure where it’s less about mastering the mechanics of the deck (but that is there) but mastering the landscape of the path. You pick cards in act 1 to beat specific challenges in act 2.

I will watch jorbs play every once and a while and the amount of thought he puts into the path planning and card choices is very high. Like. He looks at the available paths before he chooses his start bonus and knows which start bonuses work with what paths.

That makes an engaging challenge on higher difficulties for a group of people who like doing that. But it also makes the game seem blisteringly unfair for players who want a moment to moment experience. Who want to pick fun cards and make fun decks. Because very often the “fun” cards are traps. They can be good in the right deck or if you get a bunch but they don’t have the power required to beat the next boss unless you get lucky.

One of the reasons the game got a lot easier in 2.2 was that the fun cards became less traps most of the time.

wbBv3fj.png
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    If you pay some attention to what you are doing you can just YOLO your way through the lower ascensions, so I don't really see what's so blisteringly unfair about the game. A20 is there for the people who like that sort of challenge, it's never meant to be for everybody. And if somebody can't even win A0 games maybe this is the wrong genre for them altogether. That's the beauty of the ascension system, you can choose your own challenge level. It's no wonder tons of post-StS games have stolen that mechanic.

The fact they've kept on tuning less-used cards to be less of a newbie traps is one of the things I do love about StS, many games just nerf whatever is too powerful but leave a lot of useless crap in the game. Since the veterans know to avoid those it doesn't affect them other than narrowing the amount of viable builds but newbies often try to make the crap work and then they fail pitifully. I always think useless cards (or units or talents or whatever) are a sign of a lazy developer.

There are absolutely still cards that do nothing (or worse than nothing) at A20

But like you said, it isn’t as though A20 is the “right” way to play the game, so it’s mostly fine

In Backpack Hero I can't get out of the magma caves. The burns and poisons just end me and no matter how well my run is going I just can't keep up. wtf am I doing wrong? I don't even SEE enough potions to cleanse off all the crap.

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    akjak wrote: »
    In Backpack Hero I can't get out of the magma caves. The burns and poisons just end me and no matter how well my run is going I just can't keep up. wtf am I doing wrong? I don't even SEE enough potions to cleanse off all the crap.

Fire can be blocked like regular damage. Poison is more problematic, but you can sorta negate it with regen. You really need to sort out damage and/or defense scaling by zone three, or at least enter fights with plenty of extra energy usables.

edit: The bracelets that give you rage / haste on kill are both ranked uncommon, but are probably the most consistently win-guaranteeing items I've found in the game (and imo should be bumped up to rare or legendary).

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Fire can be blocked like regular damage. Poison is more problematic, but you can sorta negate it with regen. You really need to sort out damage and/or defense scaling by zone three, or at least enter fights with plenty of extra energy usables.

edit: The bracelets that give you rage / haste on kill are both ranked uncommon, but are probably the most consistently win-guaranteeing items I've found in the game (and imo should be bumped up to rare or legendary).

One of my best runs I had the rage bracelet (that uses mana), nunchucks, and a barbell. That was funny.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Generally, I've just found raw damage the way to go . Like that screenshot above would trade some self damage with curses to empower the staff and then nuke things.

Ways to get block for free so you can trade energy for damage helps. I honestly don't use consumables much - at least not cleansers. Healing items get regularly chowed down on, though. Vampire stuff can help as well

With Burn specifically, it's deducted from your leftover block after things have attacked you. Poison is a lot harder to deal with, and it's mostly about mulching things before they can poison you

Cantido wrote: »
    Ive been interested in mobile deckbuilders and am sad that Monster Train has not digitized yet.

I bounced hard off of Dawncaster when the the blood dog showed up because I'm not into that kind of inflexible optimization puzzle. I'm considering getting into Slay the Spire instead.

@Cantido Shiny Shoe announced they're working on a port back in March, no idea how far out it is from release

STS is absolutely worth it on mobile, the only caveat is at least on android, don't sync it to the google play cloud, that causes issues with saves and resuming play. no idea about iOS

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

@Cantido Shiny Shoe announced they're working on a port back in March, no idea how far out it is from release

STS is absolutely worth it on mobile, the only caveat is at least on android, don't sync it to the google play cloud, that causes issues with saves and resuming play. no idea about iOS

Also, I find that once I touch a card in my hand on Android, that I have difficulty putting it back down. It's "sticky." How do you properly review your hand?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    you could just click on the deck icon (top right) and find the cards there, then you can click on them to enlarge without the risk of playing them

I already had a few hundred hours or so of play into the game before touching it on mobile so the limitations of the interface never caught up to me I support. huh.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    After repeatedly smashing my head into the wall playing on A20, I decided to drop down to A10 and it's been a far more enjoyable experience. I'd forgotten what the A11-A20 stuff actually did and yikes are they rough. I think I'll stay on A10 for the time being.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah I've been playing at A15 recently. Less punishing for sure.

I always find playing at sub a20 difficulties hard because i'm too used to the A20 experience, so the AI changes etcera completely throw me off.

Nobody:
    No one at all:
    Absolutely no one:
    Me: Speaking of Backpack Hero, did anyone here back the KS at a "get extra keys" level? Because I'm desperate to get one. I'll pay u. I'll subscribe to your Twitch channel. I'll send you my firstborn child for summer slavery employment. Yes, I'm posting this to three different threads, that's how thirsty I am. The browser demo is Not Enough and I. Can't. Stop.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Backpack Hero has cute lil interactions I dig like the teddy bear sword that gets damage from surrounding accessories. Not a weapon, anything that touches weapons doesn’t care about it. Like the pacifism ring that gives you extra energy but breaks on weapon use.

90% of my deaths are getting far too greedy hoarding legendary items to sell at a store that doesn’t show up for four floors. I already have 60 coins I don’t need to hold onto these things

And what, just leave that money on the table??!

VRXwDW7.png
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Backpack Hero has cute lil interactions I dig like the teddy bear sword that gets damage from surrounding accessories. Not a weapon, anything that touches weapons doesn’t care about it. Like the pacifism ring that gives you extra energy but breaks on weapon use.

90% of my deaths are getting far too greedy hoarding legendary items to sell at a store that doesn’t show up for four floors. I already have 60 coins I don’t need to hold onto these things

And what, just leave that money on the table??!

I was in physical pain yesterday when i got the Legendary bow that can fire four arrows at once... and i was already full steam ahead on a Cleaver build with two king cleavers, so i had to leave it behind ;.;

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I appreciate their little nod to StS with the toy robot item, and especially how they nailed its effect.

For those who haven't seen it,
    The toy robot is a small Defect, and it does 1(?) damage to all enemies for each connected manastone.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    I am a little annoyed that as it currently stands, you can just get fucked by the final boss - need to lodge some feedback. Hit King on my Cleaver run, and king gets Spikes and Rage every time you hit him.

...When cleavers will hit him upwards of ten times in a turn? Yeah.

I am a little annoyed that as it currently stands, you can just get fucked by the final boss - need to lodge some feedback. Hit King on my Cleaver run, and king gets Spikes and Rage every time you hit him.

Had the exact same issue yesterday. Currently, you pretty much have to have the candle relic to stand a chance against king with cleavers. Or at the very least, some good haste scaling and one or two clear-effects-on-enemies potions.

I appreciate their little nod to StS with the toy robot item, and especially how they nailed its effect.

For those who haven't seen it,
    The toy robot is a small Defect, and it does 1(?) damage to all enemies for each connected manastone.

Sadly, it's not a projectile so it'll kill you on Spikes right now with you being unable to control it. Which suuuuuuuucks!

Had the exact same issue yesterday. Currently, you pretty much have to have the candle relic to stand a chance against king with cleavers. Or at the very least, some good haste scaling and one or two clear-effects-on-enemies potions.

There's a shield that can remove spikes also, but not fast enough. But yeah. They either need to do something about it, or do like some other games do and let you know who your final boss is gonna be so you can plan ahead a bit.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, 4 out of 6 wins on A10 is making the game a lot more enjoyable. Think I'm just gonna stay here from now on.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Backpack Hero has a demo on Steam now, and has gotten an update with some new items and changes.

Hope is on the horizon for those of us who missed the KS; early access is gonna start in August!

Backpack hero is pretty neat! I'm giving it a break because i do find it a bit mechincally frustrating right now (Mainly with spikes and poison on the enemies), but i'll look foward to poking my head back in.

It does remind me that a lot of the genius of StS is it's simplicity. It's the thing that's sort of cratered my interest in Vault of the Void - i still like the game a lot, but the sheer complexity is exhausting to play, and it doesn't have the same reward of difficulty.

On that note, the year is 2022 and i'm still murdering the shit out of the spire.

Yes, that is an A20 Mark of the bloom deck. I got 20? Upgrades out of it which is just silly and kicked an already strong deck into overdrive. Total health lost after taking that: 3. To the Awoken One.

I still wish i could make some further balance changes to StS though. I'd like to kick Flurry of Blows up to rare and up it's base damage to ten, and nerf rushdown to only draw 1 card when you enter wrath, to hopefully break the stupid Rushdown infinites. Reasoning on both of those is that they're the linchpins of some fairly degenerate, and resultingly, boring Watcher strategies. I'd ratehr see watcher pushed in directions like leaning on scry or fasting than just "get this common or this uncommon, win" which is what she is right now.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Backpack Hero is neat, though the actual fights feel relatively simple in execution? Unless a good re-arrange item shows up fights are block enough to mitigate damage and click weapon until enemy dead. The complexity within fights is shifted to complexity outside of fights, determining what kind of alpha damage/scaling plan you are going for.

Some of these boss items make me struggle to find a use case. Like the one which increases arrow damage but disables then if they are next to any item? Including the bow needed to fire them and other arrows?? So much empty space for that it’s wild. Same for the one that blows up your weapons for like a 5x damage multiplier. Slime swords and conjured weapons don’t seem potent enough to work it. God knows I’m not relying on random drops to deal enough damage in boss fights that falling back on scratching will pull through.

VRXwDW7.png
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Backpack Hero is neat, though the actual fights feel relatively simple in execution? Unless a good re-arrange item shows up fights are block enough to mitigate damage and click weapon until enemy dead. The complexity within fights is shifted to complexity outside of fights, determining what kind of alpha damage/scaling plan you are going for.

Some of these boss items make me struggle to find a use case. Like the one which increases arrow damage but disables then if they are next to any item? Including the bow needed to fire them and other arrows?? So much empty space for that it’s wild. Same for the one that blows up your weapons for like a 5x damage multiplier. Slime swords and conjured weapons don’t seem potent enough to work it. God knows I’m not relying on random drops to deal enough damage in boss fights that falling back on scratching will pull through.

To specifically address the bolded part, Mouse Wood's effect triggers with every use of the bow, so you can boost your damage at least three times a round, up to five or six if you're lucky with energy accessories, and up to way too much if you're carrying energy consumables. That absolutely translates to killing off bosses in a single round.

Mousewood is one of the most broken items in the game, and absolutely needs to be balanced around giving up a lot of empty space to use it. (Hint: use them shorter arrows you can find. The initial damage hit doesn't matter when Mousewood is juicing them up so very much)

This run was fucking weird.

Theoretically incredibly strong, if you just ignore the fact it has no focus whatsoever. And it only found Creative AI super late, which it then leaned on heavily (somehow managing to get through Awoken one taking only 7 damage, which, okay, sure).

13 turn heart kill, which is just a tad icky.

Also this run was a while back, but was incredibly funny:

Just get 3 demon forms in act 1, then get snecko eye, it's that easy.