As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Strike Force Claymore — Gladiatorial Wombat

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Cyr

Damn. You feel like this guy should be dropped by now. As you swing for him, your blow turns his body sharply, revealing an amulet around his neck…

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Lyn didn't really have time to check on Dario, unfortunately. Ears ringing from the gunshot, she took off running down the hallway after Sug, pushing herself forward as fast as possible to prevent the miniature alchemist from tangling up the turtle. Skidding to a halt, she used that momentum to take a whack at their brainwashed ally with the flat of her still glowing spear. There wasn't much she could do about...whatever that was taking shots at them from range, though.

Using second Ki for another Step of the Wind to Dash up next to 4 and still be able to attack.
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Spear Thwack
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Running Attack

Spear Thwack:
    1d20+6 14 [1d20=8]
    Running Attack:
    1d8+4 9 [1d8=5]

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Maggie responds to Sug over comms, "Acknowledged hero-in-a-half-shell! Dragonborn down, Making my way to you."

She Dashes NW to get LOS on Twee, keep it on Ra-ra-rasputin, and get both in Magic Missile/Firebolt range.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Lyn

Your sheer momentum propels Twee, knocking them 180 degrees sideways. They crumple against the wall.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The 3rd

1. Rasputin Mulgrave, half-goliath rogue.
    2. “One Shot” Dario, aasimar gunslinger. TKO!
    3. Pang “Carp” Hoardmiser, dragonborn brawler. KO!
    4. Gilbrin Twee, quarter-halfling alchemist. KO!
    5. Captain Oscar Volleyford, human ranger.

Rasputin follows Maggie and tries to stab her!

Geth roll 1d20+8 for Assassination Again
    Geth roll 1d4+6 for Dagger Damage

Maggie and Cyr! Make a Perception check!

Assassination Again:
    1d20+8 11 [1d20=3]
    Dagger Damage:
    1d4+6 8 [1d4=2]

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+2 10 [1d20=8]

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Cyr

You get a terrible sense you’re being watched, but nothing concrete.

To keep us going, here’s the creature’s turn.

Luthieria

She pulls a wire out the back of her head and lets it drop.

“I can’t afford to corrupt the transition… You’re wasting my time now… and that’s vexing.”, she growls.

Suddenly the creature drops to all fours and sprints like a jaguar towards Sug! No! She leaps over Sug and lands behind Lyn, then turns to maul her with two sets of jaws! Snap! Snap! But they bite nothing but air as the monk evades.

Map:
    bwecljo93mrv.png

Bite:
    1d20+2 8 [1d20=6]
    More Bite:
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]
    Damage:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]
    More Damage:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The 69ers

Hey…

You’re winning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekda8w8PgQU

• Options
    Maggie somehow evades Rasputin's attempt to poke holes in her. "Rude!" The attack prompts her to take another look at her surroundings.

Perception:
    1d20+2 4 [1d20=2]

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Maggie is sure she notices nothing amiss. Seeing Luthiera come into view, with their back presented, Maggie moves 30 feet closer, and casts...

Maggie moves 6 squares down the east hall closer to Luthiera. I'm not sure of Luthier's size and now many squares they take up. If they're M and one space, it looks like Maggie is 35 feet away. If Luthiera is L and taking up four squares Maggie is 30 feet away. That 5ft difference is crucial to deciding which spell Maggie will cast...

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Sug closes his eyes and winces, prepared for the hit, only....it never comes. He opens his eyes and spins around, seeing Lutheria go after Lyn instead. "Oh thank Selune! Am I glad to see you!"

His ability to stand extended for a little while longer, Sug keeps pressing the offensive. He flings out another star arrow, but then conjures another ball of light to send streaming out as well.

With so much of his energy tapped and his general pain levels high, he badly misses both shots. "Not cool."

Free radiant arrow.
    Casting Guiding Bolt
    If it hits, next attack roll has advantage.

Edit: Geth refuses to let my guiding bolts land

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Arrow Hit
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Arrow Dmg

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Guiding Bolt Hit
    Geth, roll 4d6 for Guiding Bolt Dmg

Arrow Hit:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]
    Arrow Dmg:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]
    Guiding Bolt Hit:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    Guiding Bolt Dmg:
    4d6 14 [4d6=5, 4, 3, 2]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    "Huh, I didn't even think about taking the rifle, that's a good idea. Man, Goddesses sure are smart." Ryder runs to Dario's fallen rifle, dives for it, grabs it and a handful of rounds and then reloads it all before rolling up into a firing position.

Seeing the... whatever that thing is attacking Lyn, Ryder lines up a shot and fires the massive gun.

Geth roll 2d20k1+3 for Sleight of Hand

Hey nat 20! That feels good.

Sleight of Hand:
    2d20k1+3 23 [2d20k1=[20], 17]

Zomro on
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Gun Attack

I'm just assuming I don't have proficiency with the rifle, but I still add Archery style since it's a ranged attack. Add +2 to the roll if I do have proficiency.

Gun Attack:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Maggie

That creature is pushing the limits of medium, but nevertheless they only take up a 5 by 5 foot square,

L is Lyn.

B is… well B for Boss, in this case. That’s your foe.

Ryder

You miss! But firing off the deafening round is more than enough to catch the strange multi-formed monstrosity’s attention.

The round very nearly blows the head of the homunculus hung from the far wall!

“No! My precious work!”, she cries.

The goddesses cheer you on, but it now seems to be from a great distance, “Wow! Now how about you just drop the gun and throw loads of ball bearings around!!”

Captain Oscar Volleyford

From nowhere the 3rd’s captain crouch-walks into view and unloads a bolt into Maggie! He must have been readying this action for some time!

4i5me8ytj2t1.jpeg

Maggie! You suffer 5 damage!

The good captain is 10 feet behind Maggie.

Overwatch:
    2d20k1+5 19 [2d20k1=[14], 13]
    Blunt Bolt:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Noticing the amulet around Rasputin's neck, while at the same time getting a strange feeling that they are being watched by some mysterious force, Cyr can't help but feel the two things are related. He points his sword right at the Dragonborn and lunges forward, intending to get his sword between the cord the amulet is hanging from and Rasputin's neck.

I'm going to roll this like a Disarm action, let me know if you'd rather I roll something else.
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack

Attack:
    1d20+4 11 [1d20=7]

• Options
    Cyr

The amulet drops, and so does Rasputin! Must have been giving him extra vitality.

Now only the captain, who has just broken stealth, and the creature remain.

• Options
    Maggie decides not to chance it and tosses a fire bolt Lutheria's way.

Maggie casts Fire Bolt on Lutheira

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Attack
    Geth roll 1d10 for damage

Attack:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    damage:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Lyn had just regained her balance after putting all of that momentum into one tremendous whack, leaning and swaying away from more mouths than most people usually have to bite with. "Don't thank me, just hit it!" Taking her own advice, she stabbed the...thing...in the torso with her spear, holding it there for a moment with one hand so the other was free to sock it in one of its multiple jaws. "Vex this!"

Immediately after she reflexively dips low, ears painfully ringing as this second shot is fired above her head, scraping out a chunk of the tunnel roof before continuing on into the next room. And likely several rooms further beyond that wall.

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Spear Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Spear Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Unarmed Attack
    Geth, roll 1d4+3 for Unarmred Damage

Spear Attack:
    1d20+6 25 [1d20=19]
    Spear Damage:
    1d8+4 11 [1d8=7]
    Unarmed Attack:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]
    Unarmred Damage:
    1d4+3 6 [1d4=3]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The 10th
    Status Report
    —Little Osoleth Incident

Upon teleportation streets were manned by local police department and emergency construction crews. Three man-made creatures were already decomposing—aggressive decomposition to avoid professional arcana checks?

Members of extremist group Drû Drex Delve have been arrested. Investigation ongoing concerning involvement.

Team hit entry point and navigated to assumed incident origin. The entirety of the 3rd were unconscious, save their captain, who was administering first aid to Dario—gunshot wound, self inflicted.

The missing persons were found in or near glass tubes—minor injuries. The glass of many tubes shattered outwards. All elves from across the Nation. Victims share no other connection. Paramedics were guided in and did their job.

Eggsy Edmund studied what we are now calling ‘the vessel’ and confirmed its purpose. Full mind and soul transfer. Appears to be an hybrid elf with enhanced… everything.

No sign of the 69th. Significant evidence of their blood and spent ammunition. MIA.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDsFtVK9rzA&list=PLBA5D2A3169FBFF3E&index=11

Ollie

“Fulcrum, you got anything? Static?”, Ollie says, hand gripping the comms guy’s shoulder, “Location?”

He sighs, “No more than yesterday. Which is nothing.”

Ollie doesn’t reply. She takes a wrench out of a pouch, then puts it back. She spins on her heels and then walks off, ‘accidentally’ knocking a wizard-seer’s coffee into his chest on the way out.

The 69ers

You’re floating. Then your backs are slammed into the rock. You’re upside down. Maybe. There isn’t a sky, so much as a clear lime green void that fades out to a misty white at the horizon.

…it all comes back to you.

Lutheria

Multiple strikes knock the creature from side to side. She leaps away and skitters up a wall, then returns to a more humanoid stance. Her robes are torn open, revealing there’s no obvious end to her form… she’s either grafted on dozens of monster parts… or has been transmutating her original form for years upon years.

“My work cannot be lost! I’m so close to bringing about the Aelletheon!”, she shrieks, “I must outlive you!”

From beneath her tattered robes two small, thin arms appear. Bag of holding in one hand. Portable hole in the other.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    What you know:
    - You’ve brought that thing down to within an inch of its life.
    - You can’t see the thing.
    - You’re on a rock floating in nowhere.
    - There are other rocks in the distance. You haven’t had a good look yet.
    - Rasputin’s amulet is close by.
    - You completed the mission!

What do you do?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Lyn groans as she rolls over and tries to sit up. "Portals...I hate portals..."

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Sug opens his eyes to darkness. It takes his a moment, but then he realizes where he is and pops out of his shell. Now, though, he still doesn't see much. Rock, distance, maybe some other rocks. Very much not the city they were in, or specifically, the cave underneath it. "Ow."

Pushing himself up to his hands and knees, his hand clips something. Looking over, he sees an amulet laying on the rocky ground. It looks familiar to him, but he can't quite place where it's from. Picking it up by its chain, he looks around as he stands to his feet, confused a bit. But in his head, he tries to simplify the situation down. Strange place, rocky ground, don't know where or when they are. A potentially panic inducing situation, so instead of thinking about all of that, he focuses down on the amulet. Keep it simple. If he ignored everything else for a moment, he could work his way up to accepting whatever the heck happened here.

Arcana'ing the amulet

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Arcana

Arcana:
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]

• Options
    "Wooooaaaaahhhh..." Ryder is looking up at the void around them. He spins around slowly, just looking at the green coloring for at least a minute before shaking his head and trying to focus. Ryder looks around again but this time scanning for anything of note.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

• Options
    Maggie pats herself to make sure she's still all there. She is. Over comms: "Maggie reporting in. Where in the planes are we?" Slight embarrassment once she realizes everyone is in earshot. She waves a hand to the others in an attempt to recover. "Yo." Then she takes a look around to see if any of the 3rd are around.

Perception:
    1d20+2 3 [1d20=1]

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Cyr comes to and scrambles to his feet, gathering up his sword and shield, looking around wildly to get his bearings. Someone apparently got the drop on them, and he feels a summer mood coming on. He sees Sug examining the amulet he knocked off of Rasputin a moment ago and tries to get the tortle's attention.

"Rasputin was wearing that thing, I think it's what was making them attack us. I'd be careful with it, it may have some residual magic on it."

• Options
    /s Sug puts on the amulet and attacks you. Because of his 1 remaining HP, the battle is incredibly short.

Everyone is underwhelmed.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Sug

It wasn’t what was making Rasputin attack, you’re sure of that. He’d had it awhile. It is of dwarfish design. Dwarf wizards are renowned for protective spells, and usually have amulets that increase their already tough skin.

f1m7enrvk6n1.jpeg

The amulet has a potent incantation engraved on the back: Thanks for the great night sexy ;).

Ryder

You’re surrounded by dozens of floating rocks ranging from the size of a car upwards to a football pitch. Hidden amongst them however, is a building floating diagonally from your position (assuming you’re not just the wrong way up).

gs56whemnsn6.jpeg

Besides that, you’re not as alone as you first thought. Far on the horizon, a single white light glints like a twinkling star. It’s moving.

There’s over 100 feet between rocks. You’re flummoxed how you’re going to get anywhere.

Maggie

You’ve got an eyelash on your nose.

Cyr

You gain 1 Inspiration die for thinking!

As you spin around to take it all in, you tap a few pebbles aside. One begins to float away.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    "Wasn't thing thing. This was...er..." his eyes catch sight of the engraving on the back. "Let's say a gift? But no, not the amulet that made them do that."

Sug turns himself around, looking at their surroundings. "Who remembers what that thing did before we ended up here? I thought I saw a bag and maybe a portable hole."

Is there a clear way to determine if we'd know the old bag of holding-portable hole Astral plane trick?

Like, as a player, I know it, but would the average Druid know it?

• Options
    Maggie takes the eyelash from her nose and rests it on the tip of her right index finger. I wish I knew where we are. She blows the eyelash into the air. She contemplates Sug's question, a bag of holding, and a portable hole.

Maggie see if she recalls what happens when you combine those two items using her knowledge of Arcana

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Arcana

Arcana:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The 69ers

Between you, with Maggie sifting through the possibilities, you conclude you are in the Astral. Known as the Plane of Thought, powerful entities can shape it to their whim. Generally described as a silvery place, this green atmosphere must indicate it is under some influence.

Maggie! You are positive if anyone were to use their standard issue pocket of holding while in this plane that things would get very weird. Best to work with what you have to hand; don’t go pulling anything out now!

Ryder! Your high has worn off. You’re hungry.

• Options
    "Astral Plane huh? That's a new one. Aren't we supposed to be able to float or something?"

Sug tries to concentrate real hard on floating.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    "That pebble is floating, so maybe?" Ryder tries doing a short hop in the air, thinking maybe that gravity is different here.

Zomro on
  • Options
    Give me an Intelligence check folks!

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Give me an Intelligence check folks!

Hoo boy, Ryder is good at those.

Edit: Bahahahaha! Ryder, you absolute dumb ass.

Geth roll 1d20-1 for Intelligence Check

Intelligence Check:
    1d20-1 0 [1d20=1]

Zomro on
  • Options
    "I'm not sure it matters if we can't float if we don't have anywhere to float to." Lyn pokes at the device in her ear. "Do these things work across planes? Hello, anyone?"

Geth, roll 1d20 for Intelligence Check

Intelligence Check:
    1d20 20 [1d20=20]

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I'm going to be horribly pedantic here and ask if this is an ability check, a saving throw, or even a Investigation skill roll. I am making my roll based on an ability check, but if I can use either of the other two, my bonus is +5 instead of +3.

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Intelligence check

Intelligence check:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ryder

You cannot fly.

Lyn

You have a flying speed of 45 feet!

Your earpiece crackles at your touch.

“—I see them. Nothing special, just a handful of Prime berks. The bloodied freak shot off for the observatory. How about we—”

Then it pops. It falls apart. You heard somebody, but they weren’t talking to you. Weird accent. Seemed like they were half using Draconic…

Maggie

Why, it’s a can you fly check, naturally.

You have a flying speed of 30 feet.

• Options
    Ryder points out the building he saw in the distance. "We can fly there. Err, well, you all can fly there. It doesn't seem to work for me."

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for INT

INT:
    1d20+1 15 [1d20=14]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for INT

30 feet of flying speed.