As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I've caught up to the Royal Capitol shortcut I found a couple days ago.

I was expecting the game to pull some WELCOME TO DARK SOULS shit after getting up to the Plateau but tbh I'm eating this game alive still.

Volcano Manor is 95% done. I need to kill the boss but there's one last assassination to do and I don't wanna accidentally break that quest line so I'm waiting to come back to that. Altus Plateau was a breeze and the Royal Capitol has been a cake walk so far.

I think the open nature of this game might be undermining the Souls framework they built it on. They don't have precise control over when a player will hit certain content so while Elden Ring's exploration is still incredible, the challenge aspect is kinda wonky. Engaging with the exploration will naturally result in players over leveling unless they're really struggling.

Now, granted, this isn't my first rodeo. I started with Demon's Souls so I've had my balls busted by professionals. I imagine a new player won't have the ease I do so I shouldn't be too harsh but even then. DS3 never bogged down challenge wise like this game has in the mid game.

I'm expecting this to correct itself as I close in on end game and they can accurately account for my power level again.

GIMME MY VIBE CHECK FROMSOFT

I better get properly fucking crumped by Malenia. My hype for this fight is stratospheric.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i discovered a tech where i hit malenia with the L2 L2 of the godslayer on wakeup and it does like, 4000 damage

malenia discovered a tech where she waits until i do the L2, the instantly waterfowls while i'm mid animation

neat neat

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    yeah me and Elden Ring are caught in a constant struggle between it trying its best to teach me and my brain absolutely refusing to learn a thing

Doesn't help that what you're supposed to learn in different zones can often be straight up opposites, so you end up with zero net habits learned.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    another three hours, another failed attempt to solo malenia

unbelievable

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Elendil I'm staging an intervention for your own good. Come into the living room, where your summons are sitting in chairs in a welcoming semi circle and want to help you, if only you'd let them.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    @Elendil This isn't healthy. Is there a reason you feel the need to solo her instead of using summons?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Elendil This isn't healthy. Is there a reason you feel the need to solo her instead of using summons?

Probably the same reason I don't want to co-op anything to beat it. (Well, that and co-op turns on the flashing "come beat me up" light.)

dporowski on
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It's weird how different
    dporowski wrote: »
    Elendil This isn't healthy. Is there a reason you feel the need to solo her instead of using summons?

Probably the same reason I don't want to co-op anything to beat it. (Well, that and co-op turns on the flashing "come beat me up" light.)

If you summon right before the fog, you can just start the boss fight if you get invaded.

I've summoned for maybe 5 boss fights and been invaded once and that one time we just started the fight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    My first play through the game I summoned NPCs if I felt like it, but not players.

My second run through I summoned anyone that had a sign down willing to help, because why not share the runes around.

My third run, we'll see. I summoned NPCs for margit (morgot? first guy) and grafted. No humans had signs down. Solo'd magma wyrm tho, cause that guy is a piece of shit and the NPCs just stand in the magma anyway.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    My NG+ game has stalled, as I knew it would, before I've done much more than tool about Limgrave for a bit. I guess I'll need to get as far as wherever the DLC ends up being located eventually.

• Options
    When you reach the goal of finishing the game, it can be hard to come up with a new one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My goal for NG+ might be too finally finally learn how to Parry in a single from software game

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    My goal of NG+ is to sort-of speed run it.

I've spent a leisurely 15 hours getting to Elden beast in NG+ and that was doing all of Volcano Manor as well.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    For my 2nd run, I'm starting fresh rather than NG+. In my first run, I was just not able to get anywhere with Elden Beast, so I followed some youtube advice and respecc'd and re-kitted to be virtually immune to holy damage. It was crap for anything except tanking holy, but it got the job done. But then I forgot to re-spec to something more useable before starting NG+, so I can't even use all my awesome Int spells and weapons.

Anyways, for my new run, I'm following FightingCowboy's platinum guide on Youtube. I already feel like I'm off to a much stronger start, and am visiting several caves and places I never even saw in my first playthrough. I'm starting with a quality build, but plan to lean into faith/arcane for all those awesome buffs I didn't get to use with my Int character last time through.

Also, the Bloodhound's Fang is a fantastic weapon, at least early in the game. The weapon art is awesome.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    @Elendil This isn't healthy. Is there a reason you feel the need to solo her instead of using summons?

"Because it's there!" - Captain Kirk, I think.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Wonder if I should rush through my RL1 run sooner than later, in case they nerf status. There's no raw/deep/chaos/etc. this time around...

Kamar on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I love summoning people in FS games. It’s so delightfully ridiculous. I wish I could do it more but I usually don’t feel like getting invaded. But shit I’ll summon for any boss I feel like, whether I can solo it or not. It’s just a blast having other people around in the games and trying to communicate using From’s weird emote-driven body language as people try to have conversations through little coconuts.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I have very little issue with summoning people. And I will set my sign for other people to summon afterwards.

In Elden Ring especially, cause a lot of fights feel extremely annoying without either an ash summon or a person summon to split aggro, and if I summon a person I'm letting someone else have fun, so...

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If I keep playing into NG+ it'll soley be to do a Belmont cosplay after seeing Hoslow's petal whip in action. That is some straight Vampire Killer shit and I'm super curious how a Castlevania build would go.

Rn I'm in Crumbling Farum Azula and man what a weird fight the Godskin Duo is. Not cause it was hard but because it felt very rush jobby. "So let's recycle these two and then just have them respawn until the shared health bar hits zero." The bigger one's last respawn died in one hit cause that's all that was left and I was just like "the fuck was that?" I'll need to see if there's any lore stuff that helps that make sense.

But, with them dead it gave me a smithing bell bearing that will let my trusty Greatsword hit max level when I log back in next time so I'm detouring to go see how well this stupid as hell build fares against Melania and all the nonsense leading to her.

So far Lion's Claw Unga Bunga is still a near universal, no thought required, delete button (Rykard being the exception due to being a gimmick fight). I'm debating fully committing to the flip to win life by just throwing the Bull Goat armor on so I can poise right through everything even harder but I'll have to see how well that works with losing medium rolls.

I'm liking how after the Capitol the game tightens way the the hell up. Mountaintop *looks* sprawling but is mostly a straight shot with some minor sightseeing. It's nicely timed cause I was starting to feel a little burned out on expansive exploration.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Me exploring Haligtree: Inch by agonising inch. Dozens of deaths to the most minor of enemies, or falls, or rot or glowing shit.
    Me fighting Loretta Knight of the Haligtree: Beat first time, zero hits.

I am the most bi-modal of players imaginable.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Seeing the godskin apostles as bosses like… 4 times was pretty silly. They don’t even have different move sets or anything.
    Me exploring Haligtree: Inch by agonising inch. Dozens of deaths to the most minor of enemies, or falls, or rot or glowing shit.
    Me fighting Loretta Knight of the Haligtree: Beat first time, zero hits.

I am the most bi-modal of players imaginable.

Oh me too. Exploring From games has made me so paranoid, because by now we all know they love hiding shit around corners and pillars and you’ll turn a corner and some zombie grabs you and eats half your health, or a solo enemy suddenly has five friends who drop from the ceiling.

• Options
    Finished my dual curved sword playthrough. No spells and no weapon arts. It was fun and kind of hard. I like having a shield to hide behind, so not my typical playstyle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Finally felt like doing the “big thing” in Mountaintop of the Giants and beat Godskin Duo, Maliketh, Hoarah Loux and Dragonlord Placidusax on my level 1 blind run… Whoever thought that a stake of Marika wasnt needed near Placidusax needs an earful. (Also I killed him in a double KO so I didnt get to touch the “bonfire” and now I cant get in again, prompt to lie down is gone)

Seems only final boss is left now, feels like I’ll have to learn all the patterns before any serious attempts, I keep trying to improve my loadout specifically for fighting him but still unsure of what to go with, right now I’m trying out a dualwield build with only support faith incantations.

He is kinda really annoying and the fight with both phase 1 and 2 isnt nearly as satisfying to go through as Malenia was, I could keep on fighting her for hours since it felt great.

Elden Beast looks like From just put the Deer God/Night-Walker from Princess Mononoke into their game.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Finished my dual curved sword playthrough. No spells and no weapon arts. It was fun and kind of hard. I like having a shield to hide behind, so not my typical playstyle.

Doing that for my 3rd playthrough now. It's a change up from faith first then int second. Feels easier and harder at the same time, weird duality.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    All the people who told me sorcery was the easy path and I should try it...

I am so sorry I doubted you.

Holy shit what a difference over a melee build. :o Everything just melts. Most things never even touch me.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure mohg resists fire so i'm gonna have to try out some stuff on him when i fight him

i grabbed the golden order greatsword and upgraded it because why not. it doesn't seem that good but it looks cool. would be fun to make a stupid build to powerstance it with the moonlight sword

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Holy shit what a difference over a melee build. :o Everything just melts. Most things never even touch me.

Just wait till you meet something that doesn't. Sorcery is wonderful, until it suddenly isn't and now everything is pain.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Just wait till you meet something that doesn't. Sorcery is wonderful, until it suddenly isn't and now everything is pain.

Hopefully my backup plan of "stab it a lot in the face" will be enough to suffice for those occasions. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I’m very very not good at this game, and never played any of the other From titles so-

My plan was to just explore, level like crazy, and overgear everything mostly relying on Fextralife builds and stuff like that. Which worked! I’m using their Crusader build and love it.

However, I’m just now getting to the mountaintop and it’s just brick wall after brick wall. I’m already level 230, and the rune requirements for more stat points are getting absurd. All my stuff is +10 or +24

Is this just a straightforward get good situation? I don’t think I have it in me to come back at level… 400? That’s ridiculous

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Bubs wrote: »
    I’m very very not good at this game, and never played any of the other From titles so-

My plan was to just explore, level like crazy, and overgear everything mostly relying on Fextralife builds and stuff like that. Which worked! I’m using their Crusader build and love it.

However, I’m just now getting to the mountaintop and it’s just brick wall after brick wall. I’m already level 230, and the rune requirements for more stat points are getting absurd. All my stuff is +10 or +24

Is this just a straightforward get good situation? I don’t think I have it in me to come back at level… 400? That’s ridiculous
    as long as you have 60 vigor and your damage stats at high levels, more leveling probably isn't going to do much tbh

could change gear to something more powerful, like the blasphemous blade if you're doing faith

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    like, what's your stat spread looking like, what armor and weapons and build are you using

it may be a git gud, but at 230 and those upgrade levels, you should be mostly okay, but if this is your first game of this kind, I can see it being difficult

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Bubs wrote: »

Remember the Alistair Solution. Just run past things. Live and let live I say.

Apart from bosses. Those peeps deserve to die.

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    like, what's your stat spread looking like, what armor and weapons and build are you using

it may be a git gud, but at 230 and those upgrade levels, you should be mostly okay, but if this is your first game of this kind, I can see it being difficult

So I've got:
    80 vigor
    30 mind
    53 endurance
    33 strength
    15 dex
    9 int
    90 faith
    17 arcane

Which includes some stats from talismans I think, I just took a quick look at my status page on remote play

I use gargoyle's sacred greatsword at +24 with sword dance on it.
    Erdtree Seal +10
    Bronze shield +20
    And the full Lionel's armor set. Still at medium load

Talismans I switch around a lot, but I always have the one that boosts incantations.

For those, I always have blessing of the erdtree (HoT) and golden vow, lightning spear or heal, and elden stars or one of the dragon breaths (usually rot breath).

I don't have a ton of shields or seals, but I have just about every decent weapon you can get at this point in the game and all the bell bearings currently available so upgrading is easy.

I know I take a lot of avoidable damage, and I'm not great about recognizing opportunities to do my own damage. Like I'll let 5-10 seconds go by where a boss isn't doing anything I need to dodge, then try and get a rot breath off when they're winding up to hit me in the face. That's something I can work on.

The thing is- up to this point most of the bosses just kind of fell over dead without much effort. There were struggles along the way, definitely early on, but if you can get a couple full rot breaths onto a boss while it's smacking your summon around, all that's left to do is run around and stay alive until the damage ticks get them down to 1-shot territory. The double gargoyle fight to get the greatsword was probably my finest moment- it took me 20-25 tries and I had to pull out all the stops.

The fire giant and Castle Sol are really tripping me up. I'm not even close, and a lot of times I'm not sure what I could have done better. At least within the scope of what I feel like I'm capable of.

Thanks to anybody who read this long ass post! Still love this game very much

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    90 Faith seems a bit too much investment. You could knock that down to at least 80 perhaps even 60. You could use that to get your dex/str up and you would get more AR. Diff between 80 and 90 in AR is +5 only. Str 30-40 is +35.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Grab the blasphemous blade. With your stats you'll wreck things and cakewalk through the rest of the game (will get even better once you get the shard of alexander), fire giant is resitant to the weapon art tho, so use rot breath vs his ankles :) (the one that channels, it melts him)

Erdtree seal is good, it's the best of the generic seals, but if you want to use your lightning spear aggressively, go back to royal capital and grab the gravel stone seal. And don't sleep on frozen lightning spear, that shit is bonkers.

edit: Elden stars is a trap spell. I really don't like it, ymmv tho.

Klatu on
  • Options
    There are a lot of ways you can give yourself sustain and trade blows with a lot of the nastiest monsters in the game.

The dragoncrest great shield is a fantastic all around talisman. Most enemies in the game deal physical damage, so if you find yourself getting hit a lot, that can save your butt.

There’s also an Ash of War that heals you for an absurd amount. Prayerful Strike, I think? I’d link it but I’m on my phone. Whichever one it is, put it on a big two handed or colossal weapon, use the AOW to pancake guys and regain tons of health.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I agree on the blasphemous blade recommendation, I'd also look into using different faith spells and/or other incant seals. golden order seal boosts a lot of good incantations like the various rings of light spells. there's another good holy scaling greatsword in the consecrated snowfield in a dungeon

elden stars is okay, but its not a great mind to damage ratio conversion, plus its slow

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    One quibble I have with the end game is because it does seem to assume that you're OP, you've read the wiki, you've assembled not just a viable build but a great stat-spells build with a great weapon-gear-ashes loadout. Things get so hard and hp-spongey that it cuts back on the average player's ability to freestyle. Even if you got gud (and I wouldn't know because I can't do shit like parry), in Souls that means hitting the right sequence of buttons at the right visual triggers, which is its own kind of narrowing play.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Update 15. You know Imagine Dragons?
    Well, you'll have to imagine them, because I'm busy killing the living ones! After clearing a few forts and whatnot that I missed in Caelid, I managed to kill the Mama Dragon by slaying her baby dragons, then took down the flying dragon on the bridge north of it! So many Runes. I gained like four levels in the span of an hour. Does that mean I can take out that boss guarding the manor to the north?

...two seconds later...

Nope! But I was able to take down all the bats in the nearby belfry. Well, and their buddies the harpies, ghost knights, and rats. This means I could actually legitimately use the Great Lift! It meant nothing, sure, but still...

Let's Wrap Up Caelid mostly finished from there. I found the catacombs in same ruin where I fought Radahn, which was full of relatively easy ghost knights to kill, when they weren't busy killing each other (and giving me the runes for it.) It took several tries, but I managed to take down the Fetid Tree Spirit too, which was fairly impressive since it could one-shot me with that swallow attack. I then gave myself slight agoraphobia by getting to the bottom of Caelid's divine tower, though the Godskin Disciple proved to be something for another day and about 10 levels later. I decided to wrap up this set of sessions to explore the beginning of Altus Plateau, only to learn that I already am overleveled for it, judging by the ten seconds it took me to kill the Demi-human Queen and how getting my throat slit by an invisible assassin just results in a slight bruise. But I'll still probably clear the place as best as I can before moving on to, oh, let's say Ranni's quest underground.

All that said, hopefully I can resist the siren song of the Ring long enough to finally finish the current chapter of my book. Feel free to yell at me if I post an update before I do so!

Okay, first of all, I did finish chapter 18, so nobody yell at me! Sadly, I stalled a bit on my next bit, coming up with the 5th "Act's" introductory poem, then figure out how to compress the five chapters that follow into four. Poems are not easy for me to write, especially like a day after I had to write a romance section.

But this isn't about things with clear plots! This is about Elden Ring! So update 16 time!
    You know the one weird trick to beating Altus Plateau with relative ease? Starting it at level 90. I died only a handful of times, not counting falls of course, with the slight exceptions of the twin Tree Sentinels and the two Crucible Knights in that one tomb on the upper right side. Otherwise, I think I took care of most of the place. Got the troll caravan, took out the Shaded Castle, visited both lesser Eldentrees ("Now you're going to be the Wormface!" I watched too much MST3K lately,) cleared some mines, slayed an elder dragon after it turned tail and ran the first time, etc. I briefly touched the Royal Capital, but bailed a little while in to take care of some other stuff first.

Speaking of other stuff, I decided to finally check out that meteor strike in the forest, finding my way into Eternal City. It was pretty straightforward, so much that I think I need to revisit it to find a few missing places, then found that the Aqueduct is connected right to it, and then the Deeproot Depths from there. The Twin Gargoyles were pretty tricky, but between D 2: D Harder and my ash knight buddy, we outnumbered them 3:2, however briefly. I only explored a bit of the Depths so far. It's disturbing whenever the Ant Queens egg sacs popped like balloons. At least the rewards were nice.
    While there, I found a Somber Smithing Stone +7, and it turns out I already had a +8 and a +9. In other words, my Magma Wyrm's Scalesword is doing incredible damage now. Combined with rocking Radahn's Armor, I cut a pretty imposing figure now. Or two imposing figures, if I use the Mimic Tear ashes.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Currently knocking on Malenia's door and should be fighting her tomorrow. My STR is 66 and my Greatsword is +25. My ability to crump things is maximum and my primary build is done. Any further leveling is just comedy leveling so I can try out some other weapons.

Our battle shall be legendary

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.