As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Are you fuckin' kidding me.

sig.gif
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Holy shit! The one for the Brown's game is inspired!

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Holy shit! The one for the Brown's game is inspired!

Call the burn ward for THAT one.

Cheap ass Dean Spanos will not even give the PR team a bonus for this awesomeness.

Chargers win the season.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I missed the opponent for that “redacted” week at first, holy shit

HOLY SHIT

Also I missed what the joke is about the Rams House given they share that stadium….

Also I missed what the joke is about the Rams House given they share that stadium….
    The Rams are trying to make the Rams happen, it will never happen.

sig.gif
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Whoever this is working for the chargers better get a big damn raise...also the 9ers had me dying

I was watching the Chargers anime again, as you do.

I noticed the Atlanta Falcon flew into a Waffle House sign said "28% off 3 Waffles". This thing keeps on giving.

sig.gif
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Okay fine rooting for the Chargers this year

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Drew Brees has left NBC and is now hinting at a return to playing.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Wasn't it more got fired for being boring?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Probably 'mutual decision'. So, yeah.

Which teams are in a position to go all-in on an old, retired QB?

He wants to be in the booth and NBC thought America needed far less Drew Brees than that

Fox will probably hire him as color now, as they lost Buckman and are shaking their teams up (with Brady presumably joining next season too, although he’s probably a studio or special segments guy)

edited May 2022

His hometown Colts of course, though they filled their quota for this season already

Um….the Niners? Steelers?

Captain Inertia on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    According to Yahoo! Sports, NBC originally hoped he would take over for Collinsworth but he sucked in the booth so they kept him on the sideline desk and he didn't like it there.

So he was fired.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

His hometown Colts of course, though they filled their quota for this season already

Um….the Niners? Steelers?

Panthers would be fun, but Falcons would be funner.

I was just starting proper fandom of the NFL when Rodgers took over, and watching the beloved but aged cast-off go to a divisional rival who loathed him for over a decade, saw a lot of awesomely bad takes.

And that was before Twitter.

Bree's goes to Atlanta or Carolina, the shit talking will be epic.

Having Baker go to Pittsburgh, and the Steelers beating the Browns twice, and keep them out of the playoffs, it'd be the only thing that'd be more incendiary.

Drew Brees is going to be a seahawk, book it done

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Drew Brees is going to be a seahawk, book it done

That'd be almost as good as the Falcons/Panthers, but without two chances to beat them every season.

He ain’t coming back and he super ain’t coming back to a team openly tanking for Stroud/Young

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I would expect Fox to make him an offer. Their top color guy is Greg Olsen, and he's surprisingly really good at the job, but he's not a former QB with a profile like Brees. Then again, they have a lot of money tied up in Brady, so who knows? Maybe he takes less to get into the booth.

Predicting Cowboys' Early 2023 NFL Draft Big Board

They cannot help themselves with this shit.

Honestly its annoying how starved for NFL content sports networks and feeder sights are. Like nhl play offs, nba play offs, MLB regular season, nope only football all the football FOOOTBALL!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I would expect Fox to make him an offer. Their top color guy is Greg Olsen, and he's surprisingly really good at the job, but he's not a former QB with a profile like Brees. Then again, they have a lot of money tied up in Brady, so who knows? Maybe he takes less to get into the booth.

Olsen has surprised the hell out of me. He's my second favorite former player to do the job behind Romo.

camo_sig2.png
    He’s come a long ways since his rap career

Heir wrote: »

Olsen has surprised the hell out of me. He's my second favorite former player to do the job behind Romo.

Right? And it has largely gone unnoticed. He's got until Brady retires, while he's still the #1 guy on the network, to showcase what he does.

I guess it's not all unnoticed. Olsen is going to call the Super Bowl for Fox.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I guess it's not all unnoticed. Olsen is going to call the Super Bowl for Fox.

Totally thought I'd clicked on a Marvel thread and ngl my first reaction was "Well... that's weird but still better than Aikman I guess?"

The one thing you can count on in a USFL game is that you won't have to look too hard to see a red team vs a red team.

The NFL is considering eliminating the Pro-Bowl game.

I guess taking it out of Hawaii and throwing a bunch of gimmicks wasn't working. No one could predict.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I guess taking it out of Hawaii and throwing a bunch of gimmicks wasn't working. No one could predict.

Don't forget a significant increase in "Nah, fuck it, I'll pass" from so many top-line talents, that third, fourth, fifth alternates were being allowed to play.

I mean, if I want to see Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr on the field in late January, I can just watch some other meaningless game on replay.

Also, didn't the ProBowl used to be after the SuperBowl? Having two of the best teams in the league sit out in their entirety, always felt weird.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Don't forget a significant increase in "Nah, fuck it, I'll pass" from so many top-line talents, that third, fourth, fifth alternates were being allowed to play.

I mean, if I want to see Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr on the field in late January, I can just watch some other meaningless game on replay.

Also, didn't the ProBowl used to be after the SuperBowl? Having two of the best teams in the league sit out in their entirety, always felt weird.

The point was, with it played in Hawaii, that it was a reward for the top players - they get a vacation paid by the NFL, and all they need to do is to play a low impact game. But then the NFL wanted to fill in the dead week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl...

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    all the all star, pro bowl whatever games are pretty dumb anyway. At least in Baseball its time off for teams middle of the season.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Football is too dangerous for the pro bowl to be appealing.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    all the all star, pro bowl whatever games are pretty dumb anyway. At least in Baseball its time off for teams middle of the season.

I still love watching the home run derby at least.

camo_sig2.png
    Heir wrote: »

I still love watching the home run derby at least.

Its fun, but even that can screw up dudes swings because of the change from going contact to homer (unless you're Pete Alonso than you just polar bear you're way through life). Baseball is lower impact so the all star game outside of travel doesn't really mess up dudes too much, but even then some players turn down attending out of not wanting to break up what's working.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    football just doesn't lend itself to a fuck-around-exhibition the way basketball and to a lesser extent baseball do

I always thought it would be fun to have them play 7-on-7 and rotate which players play what positions every series or something, but maybe that's too obviously silly

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Any football-like activity beyond skills competitions that encourages players to go all out—even if it’s just flag football without tackling—introduces the risk of injury. Basically you’re not going to get an entertaining football exhibition.

I liked the skills stuff but without an actual game they’d probably feel pretty empty.

This seems like the right choice

can you feel the struggle within?
    edited May 2022
    Hear me out

Andy Reid

Punt, Pass, Kick

Wagyu coney dogs

Captain Inertia on
    In case anybody was wondering about the title meaning:

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I think the pro bowl being a free trip to Hawaii carried a lot more weight when players were making less money. Chances are if you make the ProBowl, you're making at least a couple million a year so a free trip to Hawaii (where you have to live on the NFL's schedule and continue to do your day job) is a lot less appealing. You could just pay for an actual vacation to Hawaii and not work if you wanted to.