As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I believe this is the kind of concept that conservatives call a "Wedge strategy", where you slowly bang open an issue a little bit of controversy and "Just asking questions" at a time.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Albo needs to go with "it's a matter for medical professionals" and keep attacking Scuntmo on his absolute lack of ability to deliver anything for the "average Australian" and how much he definitely hates you if you suffer from a natural disaster.

Any "what about the children?" BS needs to spun about to "what about the children who's family's are waiting for bushfire assistance? Or flood assistance? Or COVID assistance?"

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/U-LsSBbxqVQ
    Just in case this is helpful for someone

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Just in case this is helpful for someone

Really weird hearing her voice come out of her mouth. :)

Most of the Juice Media "ads" are voiced over by Lucy Cahill, Giordano Nanni's partner.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

Called this back when it all started. It’s a way to make it an issue for the election, while derailing other issues, without Scotty being the mouthpiece for it so if it went really pear shaped he could distance himself from it.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    New tactic - guilt people into voting LNP.

‘If you vote independent the LNP will become a party of Putin and Trump supporters’ sure is a take.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Oh noooo
    Don't leave the Nazis behind so we can drop the entire party into the bin...

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Alternatively: vote against them so hard they're forced to reckon with their issues, or never face relevance again.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Alternatively: vote against them so hard they're forced to reckon with their issues, or never face relevance again.

That's a 'them' problem though.
    If the Libs don't want to evict the hard right from their backbench, then no-one else is required to vote for their more moderate candidates.
    And if that allows us to dump the whole lot, then nothing was lost.

And if they're whining about saving their moderates, then they've already made their choice not to reckon with their issues, and to become irrelevant.

Anyway, they nixed their last moderate PM for being more moderate than them.
    So why complain when the voters swing to moderates (or better) that might actually have some power.

discrider on
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm just pumped that I might be able to finally dump Zed.

Hopefully not setting myself up for disappointment again, but I guess we'll see.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    I reckon it might be close, but that he'll scrape through. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last time, though, the number of corflutes beign defaced and general 'fuck you Zed' sentiment about the place is pretty high.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'd awesome that, but like Janice, I think I'm going to throw up.

It's not that it happened, government wastage and white elephants are something that will always be a factor of governance.

It's that it was so brazen (both politically and grafty), and that there's a modest chance they'll remain in power, and a fair chance they'll get back in after a couple years with mostly the same people in position.

It just exhausts me that this is the party that claim the other side is economically irresponsible. And that a large percentage of Australians believe it.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Our federal member is Angus fucking Taylor.

Our suburb is littered with his face, on as many walls and fences as he can plaster himself on.

Anyway, for a while someone was going around drawing Hitler moustaches on them. Lots of complaints of Facebook and eventually whoever was doing it stopped.

The new thing someone is doing it better - next to every picture of his face, there’s an equally large black poster with an arrow pointing at it saying ‘sick of seeing these? Vote Labor’.

Also he was in person hanging out how yo vote pamphlets at our local primary school to patents dropping kids off. Lots of complaints online about that.

So it seems like our electorate which is pretty deep blue has some resentment building.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    So what is Labors position on "teal" candidates in this election? It's looking to me like quite a few liberals may lose their seats and it could end up being Labor negotiating with some independents/teals to form a government. Or are labor likely to get government on their own by this point, assuming Albanese doesn't do something immensely stupid in this last week, which I accept fully is possible.

• Options
    Hard to say. Early on they kinda copied liberals "we won't form government with them", but that's not been mentioned lately. I imagine they recognise the seats the teals win wouldn't be Labor seats, so it's still better for to shut up and let the teals fuck over the LNP.

Speaking of the LNP! Their hail Mary last minute policy of young people borrowing from their super to buy a house is going very poorly!

There's more in that thread. But yeah raiding young people's super to enrich property owners further maybe isn't the best move.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Do first home buyers even have 50k of super? And if they do, do they need to be raiding it?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Aren't they already being raided in the first home owners Super scheme?

..Looks like that's voluntary super contributions only, rather than mandatory ones too.

discrider on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Overseas experience has shown that almost the entirely of this additional income is immediately captured by house price inflation... so yeah, this is stupid.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    More fuel for the raging fire.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    In the past Australians have voted pretty consistently for driving house prices higher, so as dumb as that policy is, doesn't mean it won't get traction.

Even if it doesn't help the people it's designed to help (first home buyers), the majority of voters who own property probably won't mind since it keeps their house prices high. They might not say as much.

Could be a bridge too far but I hope at this point there's enough other shit that the Liberals are on the hook for that it won't really matter. And at least Labor isn't following them off this particular cliff.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Solvent wrote: »
    In the past Australians have voted pretty consistently for driving house prices higher, so as dumb as that policy is, doesn't mean it won't get traction.

Even if it doesn't help the people it's designed to help (first home buyers), the majority of voters who own property probably won't mind since it keeps their house prices high. They might not say as much.

Could be a bridge too far but I hope at this point there's enough other shit that the Liberals are on the hook for that it won't really matter. And at least Labor isn't following them off this particular cliff.

There's an absolutely massive crash coming when the boomers move as a whole into nursing homes / start actually dying. The market has no concept of a supply glut, but given the way property is currently held, there's going to be some point where we get an increasing number of "we need to sell the house now to pay for the nursing home care" that's going to absolutely wreck things because no one's going to really have the money to buy it at what people think it's worth.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Overseas experience has shown that almost the entirely of this additional income is immediately captured by house price inflation... so yeah, this is stupid.

It's a straight no brainer. That's not an extra 50k for the buyers, it's an extra 50k for the sellers.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

It's a straight no brainer. That's not an extra 50k for the buyers, it's an extra 50k for the sellers.

And not all sellers. People trading (selling their home to buy a new one) get nothing.

This only benefits people who own multiple properties, for whom the house is an asset, not shelter.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Scotty is in no way a fucking ‘alpha male’.

For one, he shit his pants in a Macdonalds.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Shitting your pants at McDonald's is Sigma Male behaviour.

• Options
    On the other hand, getting onto the table and looking the cashier straight in the eye as you dump a raw chocolate Sunday right there is an alpha male power move.

Will also get you arrested.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Sigh, of course their intention is further cuts to the public service.

What's even left to cut?

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »
    Sigh, of course their intention is further cuts to the public service.

What's even left to cut?

Well you'd think we could stop paying IBM so much money to deliver websites which don't work but...

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Oh, wait. This is much worse. They're cutting a billion more than they even "need" to.

Of course it's all bullshit anyway. This is the team who refuse to use the disaster fund and repurposed it as a deposit of which maybe the interest can be used.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    "But your superannuation entitlements are enshrined in law, why would you want them in the enterprise agreement?"
    - hugs and kisses, the liberals

That is, the article seems to indicate they'd get the cuts out of the public service by raising the 'effiency dividend' (the legislated flat year on year percentage cut to department budgets) and decreasing payments to CSC, the default government employee super fund, somehow.

discrider on
  • Options
    I did a democracy!

I work nights (including weekends), so I wasn't going to be able to vote on the day.

The wait in line.... was about 15 seconds. And that was mostly just a nice woman asking if I wanted a pencil, having to repeat herself because I wasn't paying attention. That, despite there being several dozen people moving through, it was very efficient.

Sadly, other than AEC officials, the mask rate was about one in four.

The flock of seagulls (the nickname I use for the "how to vote" people) were annoying as usual, but one of the AEC officials was keeping them from being too obnoxious. Only one party representative wasn't masked. I'll let you guess which. Fuck off, Clive.

I did get the satisfaction of putting PUP last. Only disappointment was I had to put Pauline second last. Neither got a point on my Senate ballot. Was tempted to number all of them, just so I could put them last, but there were a LOT of suspicious looking party names, and I'd rather just vote for the six I knew weren't complete assholes. No teals in my electorate, which made me sad, but it's been red* for the more than 25 years, so it's better than some.
    * For our American friends, the US is an outlier in their party coloring. Australia, Canada, France**, Germany and the UK all use red for the primary progressive, and blue for the primary conservative parties.
    ** France has Macron's party (LREM) as Yellow, but the LFI are red (well, ochre, because France can't do anything normal), and fascist LePen's RN is blue.

I didn't get a sausage, very disappointed.

So I bought two packs (8 chicken, 8 herb and garlic beef) and a loaf of bread from Woolworths on the way home. I'll have some of those when I get up (worked last night), am undecided as to which.

I WILL HAVE MY DEMOCRASAUSAGE. More than one.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I got a bit of satisfaction out of openly laughing in the United Australia Party's how to vote man who offered me their pamphlet.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I did get the satisfaction of putting PUP last. Only disappointment was I had to put Pauline second last.
    This is my eternal struggle, I desperately want to put them both dead last and I am only allowed to put one.
    it causes me no end of stress.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    I’m so fucking tired of these shitass political ads.

They all suck.

• Options
    I don't have free-to-air TV in my house and as a result have seen zero political ads. It's magical.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    What's TV?

Oh right it's that thing I last watched 22 years ago.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I only watch ABC.

But YouTube is lousy with ads.
    At least I get the satisfaction of reporting all the Clive Palmer ads.

Also did a democracy today.
    Those Climate 200 how to vote cards seem pretty useful at a glance.
    Just red/yellow/green for nutters/Labor/people with climate policies.

The sustainable growth/no immigrants party seems to have rebranded to "also climate change" though, so they got in the green there.

discrider on
  • Options
    The Clive ads on YouTube took a shift towards the unhinged today. Probably because they'll not get pulled down in time for the end of the election.

The claim: that our health departments are being transferred to the WHO (huh?) Who will be run by the Chinese government (whut?!?).

I particularly despise their ads that trick you into thinking they're the second ad by starting over even 10 seconds. Should be against YouTube rules.

steam_sig.png