As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    A Saturn core is probably on the way in the next year or so, and that may be the end of things for the foreseeable future. At least until a new fpga is decided on and/or there is a sea change in the amount of person-hours it takes to program a core, such as employing an ai to do some of the work.

The one big issue is that the creator srg320 is living in an occupied village in Ukraine and has limited internet. He managed to sneak out a 32x core somehow in that situation (a fair bit of overlap with the Saturn), but there's quite a bit of uncertainty here. There's been no public (even beta) release of the Saturn core, hopefully he can stay safe and has passed it to other hands just in case.

Also we strangely have a Jaguar core nearly done, although it's probably going to require dual RAM sticks barring some major rework.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The Typing of the Dead Overkill is pretty good.
    It also has the original game included with it.
    It is on Steam.

If you look around, you can get a key for it for $4.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I know this is new, but it feels retro.
    https://youtu.be/x4ALSjgO6Fw

• Options
    edited May 2022
    https://youtu.be/kOvkkHYeH0Q

Also, the confusing ending to the 7th Guest. For some reason, I like the game, but it does not make allot of sense.
    I guess solving the puzzles breaks the curse.
    The ending to Phantasmagoria, much better.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I saw horrors at a local arcade you wouldn't believe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I saw horrors at a local arcade you wouldn't believe.

It is the next evolution.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Pfft, I've seen worse reimaginings of classic franchises.
    rtgjtue0t04h.jpg

• Options
    They always want to make it gritty. I never understood that.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They always want to make it gritty. I never understood that.

gvx6frhc8n94.jpg

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    For some reason, the PlayStation Store will not let me add funds. Says an error has occurred.

What device?

This was on the website. I could only get it to work if I bought a gift card.
    I was trying to get House of the Dead 4 on the PS3.

I think my credits cards are flagging the PlayStation Store for some reason.

It’s not that, I got this a few months back (and posted about it on the PSN thread) - SONY has turned off all credit card purchases on PS3 and Vita. If you have Gift cards they still work (and you can add to your wallet on the website, PS4 and PS5 stores and use it on PS3 and Vita still) but card transactions won’t go through.

“ Starting 27th October, 2021, you can no longer use a credit or debit card, or a payment method such as PayPal, to buy digital content or add funds to your wallet when visiting PlayStation™Store on your PS3™ console or PS Vita system.

To buy digital content for your PS3 console or PS Vita system, you must first add sufficient funds to your wallet on PlayStation Store. You can add funds by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card, using a credit or debit card, PayPal, or other available payment methods via a desktop computer, mobile device, a PS4 console or a PS5 console. ”

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/important-notice/

Yeah, we just went through this when I was buying the other two Mega Man Legends games I didn't have. The worst part is that even after you add funds to the wallet, it won't let you make the purchase, instead trying to use whatever payment method was used on the website and then giving an error, so you have to remove the payment method through the website in order to spend the money you've already given them.

Between this and other stuff, I really can't stand dealing with them.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Honestly, at this point if you have a Vita and you haven't modded it than you're goofin' up.

It is super easy, and expands the capabilities of the system significantly.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Honestly, at this point if you have a Vita and you haven't modded it than you're goofin' up.

Have they finished issuing "just to spite modders" updates yet? That's usually what I wait for.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I modded my PSP. You can rip your games and store them on the stick.
    It is absurdly easy. It just needs a better battery. The Vita beats it out in that way.
    I wonder if the ripped games run on the Vita.

• Options
    I modded my PSP. You can rip your games and store them on the stick.
    It is absurdly easy. It just needs a better battery. The Vita beats it out in that way.
    I wonder if the ripped games run on the Vita.

Yeah, my PSP is already modded, but mostly just to run PS1 stuff on it. I never dabbled with getting emulators or any of that, I figured the Vita was better.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    For some reason, the PlayStation Store will not let me add funds. Says an error has occurred.

What device?

This was on the website. I could only get it to work if I bought a gift card.
    I was trying to get House of the Dead 4 on the PS3.

I think my credits cards are flagging the PlayStation Store for some reason.

It’s not that, I got this a few months back (and posted about it on the PSN thread) - SONY has turned off all credit card purchases on PS3 and Vita. If you have Gift cards they still work (and you can add to your wallet on the website, PS4 and PS5 stores and use it on PS3 and Vita still) but card transactions won’t go through.

“ Starting 27th October, 2021, you can no longer use a credit or debit card, or a payment method such as PayPal, to buy digital content or add funds to your wallet when visiting PlayStation™Store on your PS3™ console or PS Vita system.

To buy digital content for your PS3 console or PS Vita system, you must first add sufficient funds to your wallet on PlayStation Store. You can add funds by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card, using a credit or debit card, PayPal, or other available payment methods via a desktop computer, mobile device, a PS4 console or a PS5 console. ”

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/important-notice/

So glad it wasn't just us! My son found a reasonably priced Vita over the weekend ($90) and we couldn't add funds with his debit card. Great little system, I'm thinking I might have to get my own at some point.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I should probably track down a Vita one of these days. I enjoyed my PSP back in the day, but it looks like the Vita largely fixed most of the issues I had with it... also it's still probably the best way to enjoy MGS3 on the go. (3DS tries so hard, and the 3D works super well in that game, but the framerate is just so creaky...)

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I was getting an error on adding funds to my wallet on the website. I had to get a gift card through Amazon for it to work.
    Sony is being a pain in the butt.

I need to look through the PS3 catalogue and see if there was some cool things I missed.
    I found out that House of the Dead 4 was on there. They also have House of the Dead 3 and Overkill too.
    I got those 2 on the PC.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I was getting an error on adding funds to my wallet on the website. I had to get a gift card through Amazon for it to work.

Sony is being a pain in the butt.

That's what we did. So far he's bought the God of War collection. There are a lot of really great PS2 compilations on the Vita.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Gradius V should still be there on PS3, although it's a PS2 game it was one of those that got a digital re-release as a "PS2 Classic" or whatever. I'm glad it did considering what PS2 disc copies go for now, and on the PS3 of course you have HDMI to play nice with modern TVs. Such a brilliant shmup, and it's confined to PS2/3 for legit copies. Highly recommended if it appeals to you.

• Options
    What is really annoying is that you can't look at the PS3 and Vita catalogue on the web.
    Either that or I am doing something wrong.

• Options
    Ultima 7 - The Black Gate does this annoying copy protection thing where you have to look up latitudes and longitudes on the cloth map that came with the game.
    GoG gives you a pdf with that answers.

I imagine that was a pain to do back in the day.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Picked up a Pac Man/ Bandai legacy edition arcade1up cabinet.

Build on these things is pretty easy, I am starting to notice the space constraints now that I have 3 of them though. It definitely adds up. Buttons are a bit less clicky and more spongy than my Centipede and Asteroids cabinets, I guess that may be how the originals were, I don’t really remember.

Games are pretty cool. I wish it had ms pac man but honestly I never played much ms pac man as a kid so whatever. Pac Man is there, Dig Dug is there(1 and 2), Galaga is there, and those are probably 90% of what people are buying jt for. Super pac man and pac and pal are interesting if a bit different, Pac man Plus is just hard mode pac man with some more randomness thrown in. Pac mania is neat and pac-land but I probably won’t be putting a lot of time into them.I had never heard of Mappy or Rompers before.

So now I’ll probably pick up a Midway cabinet (because holy shit all 3 mortal kombats, Rampage, and Root beer tapper) and be done with it.

• Options

Build on these things is pretty easy, I am starting to notice the space constraints now that I have 3 of them though. It definitely adds up. Buttons are a bit less clicky and more spongy than my Centipede and Asteroids cabinets, I guess that may be how the originals were, I don’t really remember.

Games are pretty cool. I wish it had ms pac man but honestly I never played much ms pac man as a kid so whatever. Pac Man is there, Dig Dug is there(1 and 2), Galaga is there, and those are probably 90% of what people are buying jt for. Super pac man and pac and pal are interesting if a bit different, Pac man Plus is just hard mode pac man with some more randomness thrown in. Pac mania is neat and pac-land but I probably won’t be putting a lot of time into them.I had never heard of Mappy or Rompers before.

So now I’ll probably pick up a Midway cabinet (because holy shit all 3 mortal kombats, Rampage, and Root beer tapper) and be done with it.

You've never heard of Mappy? That makes me sad.
    (Rompers is evil, beware.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

My tiny local arcade decades ago had a Pac-Land machine, so I'm one of the few who actually has fond memories of that game. It's not the best thing ever but I do think it's an underrated title.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

You've never heard of Mappy? That makes me sad.
    (Rompers is evil, beware.)

Somehow not? I mean right now googling it it seems to have been quite a thing, I don’t really know how I missed it.

It seems pretty entertaining.

• Options
    My avatar is now literally the Avatar.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Have they finished issuing "just to spite modders" updates yet? That's usually what I wait for.

You can't really blame Sony for doing whatever they can to keep their hardware secure, especially after the PSP and later PS3 hacks. The latest update that was released just recently (the one that prevents new PSN accounts from being made on the Vita) doesn't impact modded systems as far as I know, but I haven't tested it yet. Previous to that one it had been almost three years since the last firmware update, so everyone just assumed there wouldn't be any more.

Honestly unless you are very interested in playing Vita games online against other people (which generally require scheduling anyway since the playerbase is so low), or you really care about Trophies (eh), with a modded Vita there aren't really any intensely pressing reasons to need to connect to the PSN anyway. There hasn't been a feature update to the system since firmware 3.50 was released in 2015 (every update since then has been some variation of "system performance increases" that are just fixing exploits), so if you don't want online multiplayer or trophies you can mod your system and not even need to worry about being on an even remotely current firmware.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Pfft, I've seen worse reimaginings of classic franchises.
    rtgjtue0t04h.jpg

I'm sure it's as terrible as everyone says, but I've always kind of wanted to try it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    My avatar is now literally the Avatar.

The strange thing about this avatar is that it came with gog's Ultima 9. He has short hair in that game.
    This is more like an Ultima 6 or 7 avatar.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hey, never forget 4 player Gauntlet Legends.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Hey, never forget 4 player Gauntlet Legends.

Gotta savor that character creation music. (no voice commentary!)

https://youtu.be/jpRO2vohCw4

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Here is a bunch of fixes and enhancements to the PC version of Silent Hill 2.
    http://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/index.htm

It is allot of downloads. It looks like it removes the cd check, so you probably can just copy around your game folder after upgrading.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    The PCSX2 Wiki is so out of date it is absurd. Apparently, it has some problems running Silent Hill 3. You have to use a cheat to get the movies to not show a black screen.
    PCSX2 is kind of a janky emulator. It uses hacks. It reminds me of the early PS1 emulators where you have to fiddle with it to get it to work.
    If they are truly emulating things, you would not have to do that.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I got Silent Hill 3 working with widescreen in PCSX2. I may play that version since it has the extra outfits.
    The PC version does not have them. There were these bonus outfits that you could get by entering codes off the internet.

Also, the grain effect is better in the PS2 version. It is thicker.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I was just going to pop in here to say that the latest pcsx2 nightlys look like they make it a lot less of a pain in the ass to use.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I was just going to pop in here to say that the latest pcsx2 nightlys look like they make it a lot less of a pain in the ass to use.

Yeah. I need to try it out. Finally, the PS2 emulator actually supports Dualshock controllers. They got the guy that did Duckstation working on it.
    What always gets me is that PCSX2 is kind of a hacky emulator. They use hacks to run certain games.
    It reminds me of the old PS1 emulators.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Yeah. I need to try it out. Finally, the PS2 emulator actually supports Dualshock controllers. They got the guy that did Duckstation working on it.
    What always gets me is that PCSX2 is kind of a hacky emulator. They use hacks to run certain games.
    It reminds me of the old PS1 emulators.

All emulators from like the ps1 forward use per game hacks for tricksy games.

• Options
    I guess you can use Bluetooth with DualShock 4 controllers with it.
    I loaded it up, but have not tried hooking a controller. It looks like keyboard input works too. That is new.
    I was going to see if they fixed the videos not showing in SH3, but I need the controller to get past a menu.
    I guess I can look up the keyboard config.

• Options
    Hrrrmm... The new PCSX2 is not picking up my DualShock4 controller. I am using Bluetooth.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Speaking of emulation, what do y'all think of all these Android-based handhelds that have been coming out lately?