As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    My daily driver is a Thinkpad X220, so I'm not as concerned with cutting edge specs as some people are I suppose.

The average end user is so dumb that I think a $300 Chromebook is about as much rope as I'd want to give them if I were in an IT position.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    We currently use HP notebooks at work and I fucking hate them. My normal machine is on its 3rd hard drive after the second one kicked up an Unmountable Boot Sector error earlier this week.

I'm a fed gov employee so we are constantly hobbled by those buying practices for tech. We've only just started deploying SSDs to laptops. 8GB RAM is finally the baseline. There are so many scripts and background processes that the hard drive and CPU take turns being at 100% load every 3 minutes.

And McAfee runs our security suite :rotate:

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    We just went all Dell Latitude 5520s and 2419 LCDs across basically the entire org. Old ass laptops will get wiped/reset and sold to staff, given to clients. Less old laptops get turned into floaters to use at sites, for presentations etc. Only quirk so far is the 5520 wifi doesn't seem to see the guest wireless at the local hospital so I need to tool over and have a look at that.

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Nosf wrote: »
    We've gone through a pile of Surface Pros. I won't buy them anymore. I'm not shipping something off for warranty, I want someone to swing by and fix it the next day. My battery went and then shortly after the HDD went and it was just out of warranty. Both things I can easily fix myself in a standard Dell laptop for what, 70 bucks for a battery, and 100 for a drive once out of warranty. I got rid of all but two Surfaces with the last year end, I let the staff who used them buy them for $100 if they'd take a Dell latitude. My co-worker has one, has had some issues. I just shrug my shoulders and tell her she can have a nice Dell laptop if she wants.

We go with Dell these days, latitudes always. New ones are 5520s and seem decent. Once in a while something happens, but not often -rarely really, and Unisys sends out a tech the next day and fixes it and off we go.

We tried some Lenovos a few years back, but the body sort of cracked and fell apart on them and we scrapped them. Things are fucking caked in shitty pack in software.

We have piles of older Dell 5450, 5470 and 5480s still running ok, although any with platter drives kinda suck. The SSD ones are still not terrible. Staff will gobble them up for 50 to 100 a piece when we get rid of them. They buy cheap shit and it dies every couple of years and wonder why I dropped 1500 on my wife's laptop that will last 6 or 7 years like the last one. Have fun with another $300 dollar piece of shit that's dead in 18 months, 6 months out of its one year warranty.

We had a pile of decrepit 6420, 6430s that I did the free win 7 to win 10 upgrade on and then gave away to participants. Work enough to be a telehealth device and some web browsing, watch some netflix on.

We had some Asus laptops show up via a program we amalgamated; plastic shit that ran like shit. Goddamn they were terrible. I could not give them away. Literally, the person I gave it away to brought it back. This is why you don't send some knob to Best Buy to buy whatever is on sale that week.

I think Apple had stellar build quality when they were small and no one could afford or cared about them except for the cultists. Now they're more mass produced and they're the same shit as everything but more expensive with little ability to repair and more oddball parts. The owners still have that demented and unearned sense of superiority though.

I worked in retail selling cell phones and the company had these garbage tier Asus and Acer Notebooks for sale. They were more trouble than it was worth selling them. You could count on the fact after selling it, one month later you had this shit back on the counter for RMA with an angry customer to boot.

On a company scale you deploy machines in the 500 - 800 Euro range. Minimum 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 3Y warranty and Windows pro so you can join it to a domain if the custome rdoesn't want to shell out for Win Enterprise or a volume license. Thats our golden rule. My current company doesn't buy spinning rust anymore except for archival / backup in small office / home office situations.

Dratatoo on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Thread resurrection get!

Anyone moved on to Windows 11? Thoughts?

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I moved my meh laptop over to it, though I had to force it since it is an i7-7500. It's mostly fine, no real problems so far, but I'm not doing any gaming in it or anything really.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Windows 11 feels like an unfinished product. It isn't bad, and if you're the kind of person who can figure out upgrading it yourself (or really the kind of person in general who is reading the Penny-Arcade forums), you're probably fine because you're more likely to be able to deal with any bugs or quirks.

But I'm not recommending it for the general population unless it comes new on a new computer.

Like I said, it just feels unfinished. I actually don't mind the new start menu, the settings pane has been redesigned and is way better. But other things feel unfinished. in the insider previews now they're starting to test updates to things like the volume menu, task manager, and other UI's that really feel like they should have been updated at launch.

It feels like the version of Windows 11 we see in the fall of 2022 will be the "finished" version in that it'll feel like a complete product.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am gaming in windows 11 with no real issues or difference noticed.

Main reason to switch was because I have the Odyssey Neo g9 and the centered placement of the start menu in windows 11 is way more comfortable for ultra ultrawides.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You can't display the clock on your second monitor.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

One of the insider builds brought that functionality back. Hard to say when it might make release.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    LD50 wrote: »

One of the insider builds brought that functionality back. Hard to say when it might make release.

If they follow the cadence they stated Windows 11 will receive a version update some time in the second half of 2022.

It is unclear if they'll push functional updates before that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Just looking at getting a new PC, since my current one (a much-loved one that's lasted me 8 years and three OS's) is making 'get-a-new-computer-now-before-I-crap-out-on-you-entirely' noises.
    If I get one now rather than waiting, I get a choice of Win10 or 11 as an OS, and a cursory look at this thread suggests that sticking with 10 would be the smarter choice?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I recall feeling like Windows 10 was unfinished, and that turned out alright. I'm satisfied with 11 so far. Some minor annoyances, but otherwise it's good.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Just looking at getting a new PC, since my current one (a much-loved one that's lasted me 8 years and three OS's) is making 'get-a-new-computer-now-before-I-crap-out-on-you-entirely' noises.
    If I get one now rather than waiting, I get a choice of Win10 or 11 as an OS, and a cursory look at this thread suggests that sticking with 10 would be the smarter choice?

I think the license for the two is the same, so you can switch later if you really want to?

klemming wrote: »

if you're buying something off the shelf 99% of the time right now it just comes with 11, so that's that. If you're getting something new/custom, yeah you can still get/use 10 easily enough.

11 is definitely not fully baked, but not to the point that it's actively bad. I'm generally telling people not to rush to upgrade, but not to sweat it if they do end up on 11.

And the one caveat with new PC's is that if you're getting a computer that has an intel 12th generation processor (something with a model number that starts with 12, so 12700k on desktop, or 12700H as examples), you really should be on Windows 11, because it takes better advantage of the processor design.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/new-preview-build-adds-microsoft-account-requirement-to-windows-11-pro/

Microsoft stooooop. MS accounts required to even start Windows at all now, even Pro.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've taken to using the registry changes and stuff to create local accounts on new computers with Home or S mode. Fuck em.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah my wife's new laptop has Windows 11 and it required us to sign in with an MS account before using the machine.

Speaking of Windows 11, how is it doing these days? I know early there were complaints around copy/paste and some other traditional functionality. My machine wants to update, and I'm hearing it's better at using modern hardware. Also I like the side loading app aspect so I can load the Apple Music app vs their crap web interface.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Yeah my wife's new laptop has Windows 11 and it required us to sign in with an MS account before using the machine.

Speaking of Windows 11, how is it doing these days? I know early there were complaints around copy/paste and some other traditional functionality. My machine wants to update, and I'm hearing it's better at using modern hardware. Also I like the side loading app aspect so I can load the Apple Music app vs their crap web interface.

Some of the old menu functions like copy/paste were hidden behind a "SEE MORE OPTIONS" selection. They've implemented a small list of icons at the top of the file manager right click menu that do copy/paste/rename, which is fine.

They also put the clock back on the 2nd screens, thank fucking god

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

If you liked the Ribbon on File Explorer it is gone so stuff is back to being in submenus and the compressed context menu means extra clicks. On the other hand, the window management you can do hovering over the Maximize icon is really nice. It's a mixed bag.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    wait why would they remove ribbon? that was really helpful..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    best guess? UI/UX designers changing things for the sake of change, because the correct design choice being "leave this as it is" doesn't make your job look worth keeping around to your bosses. Same reason google and youtube and twitter and etc. are always doing inane changes, always, forever.

BahamutZERO.gif
    I feel like Microsoft is constantly fighting between making interfaces like the ribbon that are awesome with a mouse+wheel and interfaces that are good with a big old fat finger with buttons pushed towards the edges of the screen. That's why Windows 8 was so weird. Windows 10 has a toggle for which UI you want, and I think it works differently in Win11 but my touchscreen laptop's CPU doesn't support Win11 I guess so I'm not sure.

Gilgaron wrote: »
    I feel like Microsoft is constantly fighting between making interfaces like the ribbon that are awesome with a mouse+wheel and interfaces that are good with a big old fat finger with buttons pushed towards the edges of the screen. That's why Windows 8 was so weird. Windows 10 has a toggle for which UI you want, and I think it works differently in Win11 but my touchscreen laptop's CPU doesn't support Win11 I guess so I'm not sure.

UI's do evolve over time. Windows 8 was a huge misstep and calculatin by Microsoft that every computer would be a tablet, and they walked that back.

Honestly, since Windows 8 they've been ripping more and more of the tablet features out of Windows. The first versions of Windows 10 had a full on tablet mode which was quite good and reminiscent of Windows 8, but later versions of Windows 10 stripped most of that out. Windows 11 has taken that to the extreme, with the only real tablet specific feature is... more spacing in the taskbar in tablet mode.

For File Explorer specifically in Windows 11, it isn't perfect, but it's a cleaner look that I think works better for the average end user, of which there are orders of magnitude more of than the power users who might not like that a function they use every day is behind an extra mouse click. I know, becuase i"m one of those power users, but the changes to file explorer don't bother me a ton.

Also, the extra spacing can be turned off in File Explorer Options, and there are a few other settings that can be changed.

Yeah I'm not too offended by the context menu changes, I haven't even gone to see if there's a registry flag to change. Win7 to Win10 seemed significant to me at the time, Win10 to Win11 is like back in the WinXP days when I used to play with skinning tools and shell tools... it feels like a different way of looking at the same stuff.

yeah, honestly Microsoft has very quietly done a tick tock revision history to Windows going back over 20 years.... except for Windows 8. (though if you connt Windows 8.1 as a separate Windows version, than that still holds)

Windows XP was essentially Windows 2000 with a new start menu and a new UI skin. Windows 7 was essentially Windows Vista with a new start menu and taskbar, Windows 11 is basically Windows 10 with a new start menu and taskbar.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Apparently at some point 10 added the ability of unsaved Notepad files to persist through reboots (specifically a forced update in this case).

Shame about all the other shit I was working on. :P

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Are there any other browsers for Windows other than Chrome, Firefox, and Edge? I usually use Firefox with a couple add ons (Ghostery and the facebook fence), but it's really starting to annoy me lately. It seems to consume large amounts of memory, have times where it's slow as hell. I may uninstall the facebook thing and just remove facebook or use Chrome or something only for it.

On my phone there seem to be other options like DuckDuckGo has their own browser. But I can't find that as a windows option. Are those really the only 3 windows browsers these days?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Are there any other browsers for Windows other than Chrome, Firefox, and Edge? I usually use Firefox with a couple add ons (Ghostery and the facebook fence), but it's really starting to annoy me lately. It seems to consume large amounts of memory, have times where it's slow as hell. I may uninstall the facebook thing and just remove facebook or use Chrome or something only for it.

On my phone there seem to be other options like DuckDuckGo has their own browser. But I can't find that as a windows option. Are those really the only 3 windows browsers these days?

Oh there are a number of browsers. Brave, Vivaldi, Opera are the three that I can list without thinking about. But to be totally honest, there isn't much of a difference between them, because every browser but Firefox uses the Chromium engine in the back end so they're all going to perform the same. The differences come down to UI and front facing features. (i.e. Chrome uses Google's sync engine, while Edge uses Microsoft's).

Browsers do consume memory, but in a modern operating system that's by definition. unused memory is wasted memory. Apps and OS's are designed to use memory when available, but then release that memory when another app asks for it and another app can release the memory.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If you don't like Firefox's memory usage, you are definitely not going to like Chrome's. Brave is a decent Chrome fork, but to be honest I think Edge should be the standard for most folks who want a Chromium-based browser.

Agreed on the point that nowadays many apps are "resource hogs" by design. Then question becomes whether they are just wasting energy (i.e., how efficient they are). But at least in terms of memory, you basically want the thing you're doing to be using all the memory available.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah, browser developers probably throw more effort at being good with RAM than any other class of application. Problem is that modern websites tend to be super memory and CPU hungry.
    • Edge has been tweaked to be a bit easier on computer resources than Chrome. Has some of the best security measures of any browser. Chrome and Firefox are actively working on this stuff as well, but Microsoft has an edge just because of how many resources they can afford to throw at it.
    • Opera was acquired by an investment group that got caught peddling predatory loans.
    • Vivaldi is where a lot of the senior Opera developers landed, iirc. If you want a browser with oodles of features and a really customizable UI, Vivaldi isn't bad.
    • Brave had a period where they were having one crypto-related scandal after another on a regular basis, but I haven't heard much negative for the past two years.
    • Firefox isn't quite as fast as Blink, but it's pretty snappy. Usually when any browser slows down it's because of add-ons. I'd swap out Ghostery for uBlock Origin and see if that's any better, maybe. Can also drop the Facebook Container extension if you want to turn on "strict" Enhanced Tracking Protection; it does the same thing via "total cookie protection."

Frem on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    (Crossposting this from the sysadmin thread.)

I have a Windows 10 machine that currently does not get to see the internet or a WSUS server. It keeps trying to install a speech recognition patch but returns a 0x8024402C error. This prompts a pop-up notification saying the optional feature install failed. I am unable to figure out how to get Windows to stop trying to install that optional feature. I can't find an appropriate solution via Google. Putting the machine on the internet is not an option.

Any tips or suggestions?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Here's a question. Will my windows Home license let me install copies on a VM

edited May 2022
    Here's a question. Will my windows Home license let me install copies on a VM

No. licenses are for one install at a time.

But. You can install windows on a VM and not activate it. The only thing that doesn't work on unactivated windows is you can't change the wallpaper. Otherwise it's 100% fully functional.

wunderbar on
    edited May 2022
    EDIT: double post

wunderbar on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out if I should do Win 10 or 11 on my new build. I think longer term, like 2023, it will definitely be Windows 11. But what about today?
    Factoring into my decision is that my new cpu is intel 12th gen with those "P" and "E" cores which apparently windows 11 knows how to deal with. But then when I look at benchmarks comparing win10 vs 11, often times windows 10 has better performance. I assume this is a temporary thing and will get better with patches and stuff.

What do you guys think? Windows 10 for now and then upgrade later, or jump straight to windows 11?

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's likely this is not the thread but does anyone know how to switch what Onedrive account the computer considers "primary" if there is such a thing?

I have a personal Office account and a shared Office account. The latter is only only used to share a folder structure with my colleagues. But recently both my home PC and my colleague's home PC thinks that this is the main account. And now anything I put on my desktop/documents/etc and anything he does gets mirrored between our computers. This is maddening and has been going on for weeks, I just figured it out today. Very happy to sharing personal details with someone I have known for 2 months.

PSN: Honkalot
    Like this is a fresh install of windows, I currently have a Documents/Desktop/Images folder structure under all of these:
    C:\Users\Honk\
    C:\Users\Honk\Onedrive
    D:\Onedrive-(Company)\
    D:\Onedrive-Dept\

And it thinks the latter one is the primary area. I am signed into Honk in Windows.

Should I just reinstall windows for the second time in a month? How is it so bad at integrating its own cloud solution.

I think we sorted it by going in and unchecking to "back up important folders" in one of the onedrive clients. Now it seems to also have started using my C:\Users area again.

But yeah, this was the dumbest IT thing I've experienced in quite a while. I'm glad I didn't put too much in there.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    D:

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg