As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Currently knocking on Malenia's door and should be fighting her tomorrow. My STR is 66 and my Greatsword is +25. My ability to crump things is maximum and my primary build is done. Any further leveling is just comedy leveling so I can try out some other weapons.

Our battle shall be legendary

Just so you know, scaling for strength can exceed 99 this time, so you'll keep gaining 2h damage past 66. Not a ton but not nothing, like you'll hit 875 AR going to 80 2h Heavy Greatsword compared to 844 at 66, or 917 going to 99.

Kamar on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Currently knocking on Malenia's door and should be fighting her tomorrow. My STR is 66 and my Greatsword is +25. My ability to crump things is maximum and my primary build is done. Any further leveling is just comedy leveling so I can try out some other weapons.

Just so you know, scaling for strength can exceed 99 this time, so you'll keep gaining 2h damage past 66. Not a ton but not nothing, like you'll hit 875 AR going to 80 2h Heavy Greatsword compared to 844 at 66, or 917 going to 99.

No shit, huh.

I may need to respec

wWuzwvJ.png
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Malenia wrote:
    I am Malenia. Blade of Miquella.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I accidentally killed the dragon Agheel with a torch last night while cleaning up Limgrave with my new sorcerer.

I was on my third go at him and had him down to just a little bit of life left when I ran out of magic and had no more flasks. My brain recognized I was going to have to stab him instead but somehow (despite the fact I melee with this character all the time) failed to realize my sword was already in my right hand so "switch to sword" turned into "hit my weapon switch key" which equipped my torch. At this point, I was basically right under him and he was rearing up so I just panicked and beat him to death with the torch.

Not my finest moment, but I'll take it. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    One quibble I have with the end game is because it does seem to assume that you're OP, you've read the wiki, you've assembled not just a viable build but a great stat-spells build with a great weapon-gear-ashes loadout. Things get so hard and hp-spongey that it cuts back on the average player's ability to freestyle. Even if you got gud (and I wouldn't know because I can't do shit like parry), in Souls that means hitting the right sequence of buttons at the right visual triggers, which is its own kind of narrowing play.

well that's why From Soft made it really easy for player to re-spec your build in to something more suitable and there's lots of build guides out there to choose from that fit your playstyle and once again, i would recommend anyone with poor reflexes to invest in a build that favors the great shield. Tons of them around you probably picked up a golden greatshield without noticing and it's one of the best in the game.

Farming runes is also pretty easy to do. The only thing I'd say is still annoying is getting the stones to upgrade, they really should have made that a bit easier to do.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    If you are looking for easy mode right now on the same vein as Rivers of Blood there is the Serpent Hunter spear. Watched speed runners pick it up and its pretty stupid dmg.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    If you are looking for easy mode right now on the same vein as Rivers of Blood there is the Serpent Hunter spear. Watched speed runners pick it up and its pretty stupid dmg.
    speedrunners are using because it has 0 requirements and is easy to upgrade afaik

i used it very briefly and it was not particularly good

I think Fromsoft community does tend to steer hard in to PVP and speed running, which is fine unless you're a beginner and looking up builds on youtube. Unfortunate for the beginner since all these builds maximize damage but get yeeted in to the stratosphere if a boss so much as looks in your general direction.

edited May 2022
    Elendil wrote: »
    speedrunners are using because it has 0 requirements and is easy to upgrade afaik

Ive watched it with talismans do 5k chunks with also doing big stuns (That would be 2.x charged attacks to kill morgott).... /shrug. I imagine its not very good clear but boss killing looks to be pretty damn good.

Jubal77 on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Ive watched it with talismans do 5k chunks with also doing big stuns (That would be 2.x charged attacks to kill morgott).... /shrug. I imagine its not very good clear but boss killing looks to be pretty damn good.

The Serpent Hunter Spear is insanely good. The weapon art and charged R2 both do insane damage and require no skill other than "point yourself in the general direction of what you want to die"

And you can get it by applying the greatest strategy in any From Software game - "just run by everything until you get to the boss".

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Is there an OP whip build for sucky players on NG+? I could see myself whipping some dudes.

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm doing NG+ and just zipping through bosses. I kind of don't want to level up, so I'm running around with 2.4 million runes in Farum Azula.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2022
    evilthecat wrote: »

Malenia wrote:

HulkSmashLoki.gif

Took me a few goes, figuring stuff out in each phase, but she is crumped. Greatsword Lion's Claw Unga Bunga remains undefeated. Especially now that I can do seven of them in a row after a respec to clear up some wasted Faith/Int points from some prior goofing around.

Honestly most of her fight doesn't feel like a big deal. Things are telegraphed and leave her wide open after resulting in a solid fight where you just gotta learn her stuff. The problem really is her waterfowl dance. You see it coming a mile away but having to DDR your way through it really sucks and isn't fun. It feels more like crap design where you're just having to survive bullshit and how hard the fight goes depends entirely on how much she does that move.

It's a shame too cause the rest of the fight is good times. She's decently mobile so I had to actually pay attention instead of spamming Lion's Claw until I win and it was fun figuring out her other moves. Just, yeah, fuck Waterfowl Dance.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    People make a big deal about end game or unique ashes of war, but I really like hearing that basic ass ones like Lions Claw are also great.

Shield Crash, my current jam, is insanely good.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    Is there an OP whip build for sucky players on NG+? I could see myself whipping some dudes.

double hoslow whip with occult infusion, raptor's feathers, white mask, and lord of blood's exultation talisman, plus whatever other damage boosting spells/talismans and maybe seppuku weapon art on a side weapon. jumping L1 attacks and you have range for days

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular

Malenia wrote:

HulkSmashLoki.gif

Took me a few goes, figuring stuff out in each phase, but she is crumped. Greatsword Lion's Claw Unga Bunga remains undefeated. Especially now that I can do seven of them in a row after a respec to clear up some wasted Faith/Int points from some prior goofing around.

Honestly most of her fight doesn't feel like a big deal. Things are telegraphed and leave her wide open after resulting in a solid fight where you just gotta learn her stuff. The problem really is her waterfowl dance. You see it coming a mile away but having to DDR your way through it really sucks and isn't fun. It feels more like crap design where you're just having to survive bullshit and how hard the fight goes depends entirely on how much she does that move.

It's a shame too cause the rest of the fight is good times. She's decently mobile so I had to actually pay attention instead of spamming Lion's Claw until I win and it was fun figuring out her other moves. Just, yeah, fuck Waterfowl Dance.

Dunno how much ranting about Malenia you saw before you got there but this is exactly the key sticking point about her from all corners. I also personally have issues with her healing on blocked attacks, just because how hard it neutered that particular part of how my character was put together. I think it would be much more fair if she triggered that attack once per phase at most; she has enough going on, especially during phase two, that she already counts as kinda nasty even without accounting for the Dance.

Grats tho, there's kinda nothing else in your way to victory. Lion's Claw does indeed kick ass.

Currently doing my duty at Castle Sol standing valiantly at the gate of the boss room so that I can help others KameHameHa Commander Niall in to another dimension.

edited May 2022
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    People make a big deal about end game or unique ashes of war, but I really like hearing that basic ass ones like Lions Claw are also great.

It's just so satisfying, simple, and effective. No magic, no crazy effect, just "I'm going to bash you over the head repeatedly, now enjoy this poise break critical." The only things that can interrupt it are select command grabs and barely anything has something like that so it's an almost unstoppable pain train.

Malenia wrote:

HulkSmashLoki.gif

Dunno how much ranting about Malenia you saw before you got there but this is exactly the key sticking point about her from all corners. I also personally have issues with her healing on blocked attacks, just because how hard it neutered that particular part of how my character was put together. I think it would be much more fair if she triggered that attack once per phase at most; she has enough going on, especially during phase two, that she already counts as kinda nasty even without accounting for the Dance.

Grats tho, there's kinda nothing else in your way to victory. Lion's Claw does indeed kick ass.

I've seen a tooon of complaining about her and her stupid dance so I was braced for incoming stupidity on that end. I was far more surprised how straightforward fun the entire rest of the fight is.

Maybe if you could parry her ass out of it? That could be fun. Her wind up for it gives the player plenty of time to get a shield ready and even my build keeps a golden parry shield on my back mostly just for laughs between bosses when I wanna goof off. Apparently you can just yeet a frostpot at her during the Dance wind up to knock her out of it but it only works twice so it's just a limited get out of jail free card instead of a reliable counter.

Her healing is a fun gimmick to me since a lot of her stuff has a wind up on it so you can dodge it and she goes down quick if you're not getting constantly hit. She's got shit poise and is super vulnerable to bleed and frost so finally figuring out her out *should* result in a great conclusion where the player just dances around her and vaporizes her ass. But, yeah, the Dance really does fuck up what could have been a really cool fight.

Idk, after the Fire Giant and the transition into end game the game has felt like it's losing cohesion a bit so I wonder if the Dance is part of that. Enemies just seem a bit randomly reused, the level design feels like it's lost a bit of the spark prior areas had, literally reusing prior bosses a couple time, stuff like that. Like they were running out of time, oomph, and/or money towards the end.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

It's just so satisfying, simple, and effective. No magic, no crazy effect, just "I'm going to bash you over the head repeatedly, now enjoy this poise break critical." The only things that can interrupt it are select command grabs and barely anything has something like that so it's an almost unstoppable pain train.

Malenia wrote:

HulkSmashLoki.gif

I've seen a tooon of complaining about her and her stupid dance so I was braced for incoming stupidity on that end. I was far more surprised how straightforward fun the entire rest of the fight is.

Maybe if you could parry her ass out of it? That could be fun. Her wind up for it gives the player plenty of time to get a shield ready and even my build keeps a golden parry shield on my back mostly just for laughs between bosses when I wanna goof off. Apparently you can just yeet a frostpot at her during the Dance wind up to knock her out of it but it only works twice so it's just a limited get out of jail free card instead of a reliable counter.

Her healing is a fun gimmick to me since a lot of her stuff has a wind up on it so you can dodge it and she goes down quick if you're not getting constantly hit. She's got shit poise and is super vulnerable to bleed and frost so finally figuring out her out *should* result in a great conclusion where the player just dances around her and vaporizes her ass. But, yeah, the Dance really does fuck up what could have been a really cool fight.

Idk, after the Fire Giant and the transition into end game the game has felt like it's losing cohesion a bit so I wonder if the Dance is part of that. Enemies just seem a bit randomly reused, the level design feels like it's lost a bit of the spark prior areas had, literally reusing prior bosses a couple time, stuff like that. Like they were running out of time, oomph, and/or money towards the end.

So what you're saying is that the endgame is a classic FromSoft experience? :3

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    So I didn't make enough progress for an Update yet, but I had some questions about Side Quests.

Here's where I am right now.
    Volcano Manor: Cleared all of the invasions I could reach so far and found the secret tunnel in one of the rooms, which somehow reveals a detail about Rya's heritage (I have no idea how, but all the NPCs think I do.)
    I got the blade in the Eternal City that Renna wants, but haven't given it to her yet.
    I got the key from the Dung Eater and set foot in the Royal Capital but haven't really explored it yet.
    I fought Fia's champions in Deeproot Depths.

I'm trying to decide the order in doing events so I don't wreck a quest's order. My plan is to Puppetize the Dung Eater, but I heard advancing Renna's quest might interfere with that, and I don't know if I should do anything in particular in Volcano Manor at this stage.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’m really close to beating the game but I’m having a hard time doing it because I don’t want it to end.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

Shield Crash, my current jam, is insanely good.

Shield crash kept disappointing me. It so often misses the enemy as they move away during the wind up, setting me up to get hit. It seemed to really hit well about 40-50% of the time.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    You're going to want to consult the appropriate NPC guides to thread that needle of events.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So I didn't make enough progress for an Update yet, but I had some questions about Side Quests.

Here's where I am right now.
    Volcano Manor: Cleared all of the invasions I could reach so far and found the secret tunnel in one of the rooms, which somehow reveals a detail about Rya's heritage (I have no idea how, but all the NPCs think I do.)
    I got the blade in the Eternal City that Renna wants, but haven't given it to her yet.
    I got the key from the Dung Eater and set foot in the Royal Capital but haven't really explored it yet.
    I fought Fia's champions in Deeproot Depths.

I'm trying to decide the order in doing events so I don't wreck a quest's order. My plan is to Puppetize the Dung Eater, but I heard advancing Renna's quest might interfere with that, and I don't know if I should do anything in particular in Volcano Manor at this stage.
    killing the boss of the volcano manor area (rykard) will lock you out of finishing all of the volcano manor quests/invasions, so keep that for last once you've finished all of them

if you want to puppetize dung eater, don't give ranni the dagger until after you've accomplished that. giving her the dagger will advance her questline, and her allies will start to get killed off.

the only point of no return for all questlines is finishing the boss of crumbling farum azula, which is a long ways away for you.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The drop rate for the Duelist Greataxe is stupid, actually all the rare drop rate weapons are stupid, there's no reason to make any of them drop like that.

I really need to find a table and double check what I need to do to avoid tripping the anti-cheat so I can set a hard limit on how long I spend on this kind of grind. I'm at around two hours now, and I'm not even sure I'll use the thing over my Golem's Halberd.

edit: At least I can still count on complaining to always work. Doesn't seem to have much value compared to other colossals--I'll probably stick with the Golem Halberd on my colossal character for its combination of traits: higher damage (though not as high as the highest) combined with being substantially longer than other colossal weapons and being skinny enough to not block my view like the Prelate thing or the Giant-Crusher. But iirc it's the single hardest hitting thing you can get on a RL1 character with two talismans, so I'll probably pass it over to mine for fights where I want a colossal. It's also the best keen colossal, though you'll still need 20 strength even if you 2h it.

Kamar on
    Kamar wrote: »
    The drop rate for the Duelist Greataxe is stupid, actually all the rare drop rate weapons are stupid, there's no reason to make any of them drop like that.

I really need to find a table and double check what I need to do to avoid tripping the anti-cheat so I can set a hard limit on how long I spend on this kind of grind. I'm at around two hours now, and I'm not even sure I'll use the thing over my Golem's Halberd.

edit: At least I can still count on complaining to always work. Doesn't seem to have much value compared to other colossals--I'll probably stick with the Golem Halberd on my colossal character for its combination of traits: higher damage (though not as high as the highest) combined with being substantially longer than other colossal weapons and being skinny enough to not block my view like the Prelate thing or the Giant-Crusher. But iirc it's the single hardest hitting thing you can get on a RL1 character with two talismans, so I'll probably pass it over to mine for fights where I want a colossal. It's also the best keen colossal, though you'll still need 20 strength even if you 2h it.

One duelist greataxe is good, sure. But what about second duelist greataxe?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i have gotten one of the seventeen skeleton drops like once

those fucking things have to be bugged

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I have a duelist greataxe I can drop for you if we can figure out how to meet - and you want it. I'm on PC.

steam_sig.png
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    just respec into discovery and start munching silver fowl feet!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the tips everybody, for real. Best part? I already had almost all the items people suggested

One-shot Mohg after respeccing to be able to use blasphemous blade, fire giant took 2 tries. Back to melting things!

PSN: thewheelz
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So NG+ Malenia at level 160. Didn't do her on my original play through so no idea what to expect.

I almost got her first time. I had no clue what the radius on her flower bomb was and got caught by it when she tried it a second time.

Killed her second go.

Conclusion: Rivers of Blood and Mimic Tear is RIDICULOUS. She just melted.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Learning to jump ground pounds was rough on the ol auto rolling I grew to just mechanically want to do. But I think im getting the hang of it. And it would have made Radagon so much easier.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Also starting the second phase locked on to Malenia is just evil. It is designed to catch you in the flower bomb as the camera flips and you start running in the opposite direction.

Incidentally i feel i must have missed a lot of this area as i feel i found a whole.l bunch of bonfires one after the other without much content inbetween. It reminds me of how I bypassed most of Stormveil.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I think they got rid of the elevator skip in haligtree? At least my body dissolved before I hit the bottom to activate the button.

Edit: nvm I just missed it the first time I guess

initiatefailure on
    edited May 2022
    I can't quite figure out how to sorcerer from horseback. Like, my smashy character did just fine. Run by, smack thing with sword/club/axe, turn around, rinse/repeat until thing dies. My sorcerer can't seem to aim a damn spell without being locked on and I can't seem to drive a horse effectively when I'm locked onto a target. I am clearly doing things wrong but I'm not sure how to improve.

It made the fight with Night Cavalry more difficult than it probably should have been and I only won by finding a place he couldn't reach and bombarding him with rock sling.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    you sort of do need to be locked on and facing the enemy to do wizard things on horseback, yeah.

Rock sling helps because of the way it homes you dont QUITE need to be facing them at all times.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited May 2022
    Alright I got destroyed.

Attempt one to half health. Attempt two immediate grab into a oneshot attack I didn’t know existed. Attempt three I got to p2 easily because the game actually let me summon ashes finally and then I was immediately killed

initiatefailure on
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Elden Ring is gonna be Dark Souls 2 again for me in that I'm going to be finding out things forever.

200 hours in and I just learned this exists and how to get it: https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Radagon+Icon

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    you sort of do need to be locked on and facing the enemy to do wizard things on horseback, yeah.

Rock sling helps because of the way it homes you dont QUITE need to be facing them at all times.
    I haven't used a lot of spells on horseback, I think just like, glintblade, the frost sword, and the bow? Took me a moment to figure out what the problem was, but now that I think of it the bow did have a weirdly narrow firing arc, I guess most spells are like that? If that's the case, try glintblade. When using lock-on, the blade projectile forms facing whatever its target is, so it sidesteps the issue of the narrow horseback firing arc.
    Also the frost blade's handy on horseback too. I don't think its aimed arc is any different from other spells, but it's such a wide sweep that it's easy to hit things regardless. I would assume the magic greatsword spell is similar, but I haven't tried it.

edited May 2022
    Alright I took a break from malenia and remembered I still had to do some Fia quest stuff
    killed fortisax. Got a mending rune? Used my boss kill runes to level up, came out and D’s brother had murdered Fia, then left me the armor and a sword. I uh, guess I’m done here? I might need to double check the wiki for this one but idk, everyone is dead and I got a rune I guess that’s pretty final

initiatefailure on
This discussion has been closed.