As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I liked the demo for Dead Rising 1 a lot more than the actual game. The demo had so much of the awesome with virtually none of the frustrations of the full game. Honestly I felt a bit hoodwinked.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Dead Rising is more or less what drove me to buy a 360. I played quite a bit of that game - shame about the last one.

Dead Rising came out right when I got an inheritance of like $5k in college. I wasn't at all interested in the 360 at the time but the game looked absolutely incredible. So I picked that up with a 360 and a 50" DLP TV. No regrets.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Haven't heard of a DLP TV in a long time!

My second or third year in university, or so, a neighbor let me know about a launch Xbox 360 sitting in a local department store, and that was the only way I actually got ahold of one so early. Paired it with a flat-panel CRT (not high definition either), so I could play Dead or Alive 4 and Project Gotham Racing 3.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I liked the demo for Dead Rising 1 a lot more than the actual game. The demo had so much of the awesome with virtually none of the frustrations of the full game. Honestly I felt a bit hoodwinked.

Yeah, the first time I played Dead Rising 1 the owner of the game already unlocked a bunch of stuff... when I finally got a copy fresh Frank was very jarring.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Definitely check out Vampire Survivors if you want to get addicted to something for a bit.

• Options
    Vampire Survivors looks like the kind of indie roguelike I would never actually buy (it's just not my genre), but on Game Pass? I will absolutely give it a try.

• Options
    It is still PC only, which isn't a shock since the dev is just like one person. I had hopes for Xbox achievements...

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think the demo I put more time into than any other had to have been the original Skate demo. So many hours getting used to those controls. I was pretty damn good by the time I got the full game.

Synthesis wrote: »
    Haven't heard of a DLP TV in a long time!
    My first HDTV was a Mitsubishi DLP. I remember there being like 2 or 3 HD channels from my cable provider at the time. Had to get an antennae for local channels in HD. Replacing the big-ass bulb every few years was fun.

• Options
    Had that DLP TV for a long time. Back when Samsung made awesome TVs.

• Options
    Their TVs are still pretty good. Once you block their ads.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Samsung still makes awesome TVs by any reasonable estimation.

Do they make the best TVs? No, probably not. Do they make the most expensive TVs? No, they don't. And that's a lot easier to quantify.

All smart televisions have ads, and they're all blocked much the same way (for starters, don't have them networked). Though Samsung's UI is one of the less terrible, which I know as an LG C1 owner.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Yeah, the first time I played Dead Rising 1 the owner of the game already unlocked a bunch of stuff... when I finally got a copy fresh Frank was very jarring.

He's covered wars, you know.

The only way I ever finished a game of DR1 is when I went to unlock the Mega Man gun and took the earliest convenient ending.

Last time I played it, I was going for a Saint run or whatever it's called when you save the maximum number of people and I got to those yahoos in the gun shop who can't pathfind their way around the counter and failed the timer.

I need to restart again rather than try to hope they get with it.

And yes, I triple book the mini chainsaws. I'm not a heathen.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    My actual problem with DR is I loathe the undead. Hate is a strong word, but I really, really don't like zombie related gaming. I still have never completed a game of State of Decay 1.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I had DR1 so memorized I could

-Rescue the maximum ammount of people possible.
    -Kill every psychopath
    -Complete every story mission

All in the same run.

I would also play in my own "Jason" mode where I would put on the hockey mask and the convict outfit and proceed to slasher my way through every character who wasn't in safe zone.

God I loved DR1. Running out of steam on DR2 was a real bummer.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Damnit I can’t believe warhammer space marine isn’t backwards compatible. They need to release a hd update or something for modern consoles. It’s criminal!

With a sequel coming out in the futrue I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they do the work to make the old one work on current generation consoles.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I had DR1 so memorized I could

-Rescue the maximum ammount of people possible.
    -Kill every psychopath
    -Complete every story mission

All in the same run.

I would also play in my own "Jason" mode where I would put on the hockey mask and the convict outfit and proceed to slasher my way through every character who wasn't in safe zone.

God I loved DR1. Running out of steam on DR2 was a real bummer.

I remember going for the best ending and being blown away with the final real fight it was such a satisfying way to end the game

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Do they make the best TVs? No, probably not. Do they make the most expensive TVs? No, they don't. And that's a lot easier to quantify.

All smart televisions have ads, and they're all blocked much the same way (for starters, don't have them networked). Though Samsung's UI is one of the less terrible, which I know as an LG C1 owner.

The new Samsung interface is almost identical to the LG one. It's not great. I don't know why they all took their notes from Vizio on UI design but it's terrible.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    lol... my progress in DR1 is 80/1000... I played it long enough to 50 target markers with the camera. I think I got up to the zombie panty shot guy and that was about it for me, lol. just didn't have the patience to level Frank up and stuff.

DR2 a did play a lot, to the point that I even have a spreadsheet for it, DR3 too except for the multiplayer DLC stuff. DR4 I haven't touched.

• Options
    The 'best' thing about the photographer scumbag is that once you get an appropriate shot that satisfies him, you can keep it forever for the next playthrough. The only new shot you need every time is of the roof vent.

• Options
    lol... my progress in DR1 is 80/1000... I played it long enough to 50 target markers with the camera. I think I got up to the zombie panty shot guy and that was about it for me, lol. just didn't have the patience to level Frank up and stuff.

DR2 a did play a lot, to the point that I even have a spreadsheet for it, DR3 too except for the multiplayer DLC stuff. DR4 I haven't touched.

Honestly a lot of DR1's achievements were really hard. But they unlocked actual things you can use in the game (weapons, costumes, etc) so I thought they were fun to get.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Was that the one on the Pizza Hut disc? Because same

Yep, I think I had this one too. If I'm remembering correctly it also had a spyro and a sled storm demo on it?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Honestly a lot of DR1's achievements were really hard. But they unlocked actual things you can use in the game (weapons, costumes, etc) so I thought they were fun to get.

reabtfzo4drn.png

Oh my god... 2006... 3 years before I got married. I don't even think I was in college yet.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Got an invite to the Multiversus closed Alpha so Ill be talking about that for a few days. Anyone else?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Got an invite to the Multiversus closed Alpha so Ill be talking about that for a few days. Anyone else?

I got an email from them yesterday with the cinematic trailer and a link that said "sign up now?" lol. Was it that or something else?

It starts the 19th?

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

The new Samsung interface is almost identical to the LG one. It's not great. I don't know why they all took their notes from Vizio on UI design but it's terrible.

But it's still faster than 2021's WebOS and thereby less terrible. Good on LG for at least trying to catch up to "just as bad as Samsung."

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's always crazy to go back and look at my achievements, saved games, etc. from the early 360 days.

Go back and look through your download history too. A lot of it isn't available anymore, but it's fun to look through it. I've even found some old lost games I forgot I had bought, some of which aren't even in the store anymore.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    anoffday wrote: »
    Yeah, it's always crazy to go back and look at my achievements, saved games, etc. from the early 360 days.

Go back and look through your download history too. A lot of it isn't available anymore, but it's fun to look through it. I've even found some old lost games I forgot I had bought, some of which aren't even in the store anymore.

For a few months, my Gamerscore was stuck in 1985, simply reflecting my Xbox 360 launch library (a handful of games known for difficult achievements), not to mention replaying original Xbox games (no save game compatibility)! Anyone else start out Dead or Alive 3, Mercenaries, or Ninja Gaiden Black from scratch?

I'm still sad I couldn't regain my original Xbox Gamertag from the original incarnation of Xbox Live. :disappointed:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I love that achievements are time stamped because I can go back and see which exact day I met one of my best friends while playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance (day after Christmas 2006)

I live in Chicago now only because we randomly matched together that day

• Options
    I also remember the day Dead Rising came out, because I went to like 8 stores with my dad and none of them had it, and finally on the way home we checked Circuit City on a whim (rip) and they fucking had it and I played it all night

Good times

• Options

I got an email from them yesterday with the cinematic trailer and a link that said "sign up now?" lol. Was it that or something else?

It starts the 19th?

Yep 19th to the 27th. theylll be sending out codes the entire test.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Beat Tunic, don't open this if you're playing it and don't know the spoilers.
    Need to delve back into it for 100% type stuff, notably two manual pages, but otherwise I'm thinking about my next game... which is probably gonna be Asura's Wrath.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Need to delve back into it for 100% type stuff, notably two manual pages, but otherwise I'm thinking about my next name... which is probably gonna be Asura's Wrath.

You should really get those last 2 pages and give the boss another go trust me

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Study pages 45 and 46.

• Options
    edited May 2022

Need to delve back into it for 100% type stuff, notably two manual pages, but otherwise I'm thinking about my next game... which is probably gonna be Asura's Wrath.

You should really get those last 2 pages and give the boss another go trust me

Fair enough. More Tunic spoilers I'll need another night on this to get all the secrets/ achievements cleaned up.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    I also remember the day Dead Rising came out, because I went to like 8 stores with my dad and none of them had it, and finally on the way home we checked Circuit City on a whim (rip) and they fucking had it and I played it all night

Good times

Oh man circuit city. Too many feels in this thread.

Also, DR was interesting for me. It's the only game I can think where I played the demo so much and then barely touched the actual game.

• Options
    Next awesome update for Flight Simulator...Italy and Malta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9eC4Nx2H0

Take that vacation you couldn't afford even if travel hadn't regularly shut down!

• Options
    Give it The Boot!

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Good times

Oh man circuit city. Too many feels in this thread.

Also, DR was interesting for me. It's the only game I can think where I played the demo so much and then barely touched the actual game.

I wear this hat all the time
    kxm6xq56upkb.png

I used to work at best buy so I like to tell people I swapped sides

• Options
    Where service is state of the art!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Man trek to yomis combat doesn’t make a great first impression. The fact that you have to press a to turn around is so cumbersome, and it also doesn’t work half the time, it feels slow and imprecise. Same with countering, it’s really hard to tell when to press it. Same with the stun combo, I can never tell when to go for it and when not to, sometimes the heavies interrupt it and sometimes they don’t and it’s a crapshoot

Prohass on