As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Social Media]: Our Blasted Digital Hellscape

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    A comment about twitter through which I force the entire thread to agree with Jordan Peterson:

3c1ymzep6o2y.png

Evergreen:
    Conservative: I have been censored for my conservative views

Me: Holy shit! You were censored for wanting lower taxes?

Con: LOL no...no not those views

Me: So....deregulation?

Con: Haha no not those views either

Me: Which views, exactly?

Con: Oh, you know the ones

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Offering a lower price (which Musk apparently did earlier yesterday before the literal shit post) is also illegal btw

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Though the counterargument is that Tesla has massively invested in crypto for no apparent reason other than Musk commanded it, and crypto's tanking, which might impact his ability to actually pay for Twitter.

Have we finaly figured out what crypto is good for?

Absolutely Nothing.
    Can it still be used to buy drugs through the mail? I always thought that was its one legitimate and noble use.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Offering a lower price (which Musk apparently did earlier yesterday before the literal shit post) is also illegal btw

What's a consequence? A fine?

• Options
    There’s a ton that government could do, given all of Musk’s non-Tesla companies get all their revenue from government contracts

The SEC could also force Musk out of power at Tesla

Or give him another babysitter

Or nothing, especially now that he’s a cause celebre for the dumb information control project the Right has going

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

I've read that attempts to weasel out of mergers in bad faith can lead to a judge ordering you to complete the purchase as stipulated; giving the plaintiff leverage to settle for an increased cancelation fee in exchange for letting you walk away.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Peterson is an odd duck. His writing is mostly garbage self-help pseudoscience.

then you look at his public persona and political views and the alt-right reactionary underpinning becomes completely transparent.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Another wee hour tweet:

20% fake/spam accounts, while 4 times what Twitter claims, could be *much* higher.

My offer was based on Twitter’s SEC filings being accurate.

Yesterday, Twitter’s CEO publicly refused to show proof of <5%.

This deal cannot move forward until he does.

This comes the day after Musk publicly angled for a lower purchase price for Twitter.

So it's either an escape route or Musk literally has no clue how acquisitions work. Or what "due diligence" is.

The more amusing thing is what this guy points out:

Which Musk even responded to:

So this may get more interesting for twitter as a company. And then maybe the possibility of suits by twitter or it's stockholders against Musk for lying in a way that effected the stock price. Or maybe not. And all because Musk had a mid-life crisis.

shryke on
  • Options

I've read that attempts to weasel out of mergers in bad faith can lead to a judge ordering you to complete the purchase as stipulated; giving the plaintiff leverage to settle for an increased cancelation fee in exchange for letting you walk away.

We don't do consequences for people like Elon Musk.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So wait am I reading that right, Elon knew their evaluation was incorrect but went to purchase it anyway to prove that? What? Also someone saying 'twitter commies' does not exactly inspire confidence in their analysis.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Twitter commies?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Could Musk be playing a long game? Expose Twitter's fraud, force out management and cause the stock price to plummet so he can then buy it on the cheap?

EDIT: I don't think this is likely, personally. But that's because I think everyone involved are idiots.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    John Rich in his analysis said "big trouble for the twitter commies" which I have no idea what the fuck that means if he thinks a billion dollar corporation is all communist or he just uses commies for "people I don't like."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    John Rich is half of that god awful drinking music for fascist white morons who are too scared of black people to listen to rap music pop country music duo Big and Rich

Good fucking grief this is dumb as hell, fucking christ

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Preacher wrote: »
    John Rich in his analysis said "big trouble for the twitter commies" which I have no idea what the fuck that means if he thinks a billion dollar corporation is all communist or he just uses commies for "people I don't like."

I assume he means that communists that run Twitter who are selling it to Musk. Because it makes them look bad? Except that if it nixes the deal, then they don't get their Elon paradise. I have to assume that they're just high on the recent Project Veritas dumbfuckery of some random Twitter engineer saying "Twitter would totes be better under Musk because FREE SPEECH." Stupidity and inconsistency are par for the course.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Could Musk be playing a long game? Expose Twitter's fraud, force out management and cause the stock price to plummet so he can then buy it on the cheap?

EDIT: I don't think this is likely, personally. But that's because I think everyone involved are idiots.

Yes, but this tends not to work if you're telling everyone that's what you're doing the whole time. It means the initial offering was in bad faith and is fraud.

I have no idea if that has real consequences though.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    shryke wrote: »
    Another wee hour tweet:

20% fake/spam accounts, while 4 times what Twitter claims, could be *much* higher.

My offer was based on Twitter’s SEC filings being accurate.

Yesterday, Twitter’s CEO publicly refused to show proof of <5%.

This deal cannot move forward until he does.

This comes the day after Musk publicly angled for a lower purchase price for Twitter.

So it's either an escape route or Musk literally has no clue how acquisitions work. Or what "due diligence" is.

The more amusing thing is what this guy points out:

Which Musk even responded to:

So this may get more interesting for twitter as a company. And then maybe the possibility of suits by twitter or it's stockholders against Musk for lying in a way that effected the stock price. Or maybe not. And all because Musk had a mid-life crisis.

Elon Funding secured 420! Yeah Baby!
    SEC what? don't do that, that's illegal.
    Elon Hey! SEC!
    SEC Yes?
    Elon Su....
    SEC Su?
    Elon SUCK ON THESE NUTS!
    SEC Don't do that either, here's a nanny.
    Elon THAI PEDOPHILES! FREEDOM! SPACE-DICK!
    SEC I guess that's not market manipulation, so ok.
    Elon Twitter Funding SECured! High-rolling Life!
    SEC Really? No due dilligence? not checking the books?
    Elon Real Billionaires RAW DAG IT! FUCK OFF COPPER!
    Twitter Yes... we totally have 5% bots.
    Elon Radical!
    Crypto 💩
    Elon Euhm....
    Twitter No backsies!
    Elon SEC HELP! FRAUD! INVESTIGATE! MY MONEY!
    SEC Please start typing your reply here _____

Dibbit on
  • Options
    Yeah the speculated play by Musk here is also illegal

• Options
    Legality is academic at best. We simply do not punish these types of crimes

• Options
    I dunno, we rarely punish rich people for fucking over non rich people

We go absolutely stupid when rich people’s money gets fucked with

• Options
    I dunno, we rarely punish rich people for fucking over non rich people

We go absolutely stupid when rich people’s money gets fucked with

Even then only rarely. Everyone knew Bernie Madfoff was a fraud but no one cared till the gravy train stopped

• Options
    Legality is academic at best. We simply do not punish these types of crimes

It does make you really hate the mega rich when you can blatantly see how they are protected because rich people never want to face punishment for crimes and make damn sure every politician of every stripe makes sure they dont.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Bernie Madoff died in prison what

I’m lost

• Options
    Bernie Madoff died in prison what

I’m lost

People wrote the SEC novels about how his operation was an obvious scam like a decade before he got arrested. The SEC never did a damn thing until people started pulling their money out and the ponzi scheme collapsed.

• Options
    The point isn’t I’m expecting Musk to be prosecuted, my point is he’s a fucking idiot who is rallying up a massive backlog of lawsuits

• Options
    Madoff only got fucked when he screwed with rich peoples money. I don't think Musk is doing that enough to get the same treatment. And Madoff is like the one time a white person felt racism, he's the guy people point to because its so rare.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I do think Musk is fucking with rich people’s money with this though

I do think there are going to be lawsuits

There’s a very public paper trail of his activity…so there will be a settlement at some point, I’d expect

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I actually stumbled across the "twitter commies" thing. One of the quotes the rightwing is shrieking about from the Veritas nonsense is the dude saying "we're commie as fuck."

Ergo, expect to hear that everywhere from the shrieking cacophony for a while.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    It would make my day if events fall out like this:

1) Musk offers to buy Twitter for $46B
    2) Discovery reveals that Twitter has been lying about the size of their user base.
    3) Musk backs out of the deal with no penalties.
    4) The SEC fines Twitter into oblivion for falsifying information in their legally required annual reports.
    5) Musk loses the main tool for his hyping due to his efforts to protect his main tool for hyping.

Steps 1 and 2 are complete and Step 3 appears to be on track. I feel like I'm getting Christmas in July.

Also, Musk absolutely knows how many bots are on Twitter. Someone posted in the past couple of pages showing that his followers are around 70% bots.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I do think Musk is fucking with rich people’s money with this though

I do think there are going to be lawsuits

There’s a very public paper trail of his activity…so there will be a settlement at some point, I’d expect

Yeah, I think the biggest share holders besides musk are Vanguard, Morgan Stanley, Blackrock, and the House of Saud, iirc.

• Options
    If they pursue him yeah in 20 years maybe he'll pay a small fine

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    All of this kind of nonsense does reinforce that, in many ways, money is pretend. So, I guess it supports commies?

• Options
    edited May 2022

We don't do consequences for people like Elon Musk.

My post refers to the consequences of being found in breach of a $44b contract with a tech-giant. We do that kind.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    You know, regardless of the legality of Elon's recent behavior, they show just how ill-suited he is to the role of Twitter ownership. He hasn't even bought the company yet, and he's already causing headaches and bad press for management.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    By waiving due diligence, does it even matter if Twitter is full of shit? You're supposed to figure this shit out before you make the bid, let alone demanding the other guy do it once they've already accepted his offer.

* NAL, but if he pulls out and eats the billion break fee (plus damages according to the agreement), and Tesla's stock tanks, Tesla shareholders might have a cause for action.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    What's weird is he wants his cake and eat it too. Like he wants to pretend their evaluation was off so he bought at a bad price, while also claiming he knew in advance it was a bad bid?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    What's weird is he wants his cake and eat it too. Like he wants to pretend their evaluation was off so he bought at a bad price, while also claiming he knew in advance it was a bad bid?

And, even more than that, he personally bought almost $3 billion worth of shares when it was trading at ~40, then a week later offered 54.20 for all the rest of the shares.

Like, he's already holding the bag, not even accounting for the $1 billion if he breaks his deal.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    His bullshit artistry might fool crypto bros and Rogan stans, but if I have to choose a fighter between Twitter's lawyers and the guy throwing out poop emojis like against the advice of his own consel, I have a pretty clear idea of who is going to win.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Texas: Team Evil/Team Stupid Team-Up Continues

Texas's HB20 author argues that his law doesn't prevent moderation decisions to block active shooter videos by citing section 230's protection from liability regarding moderation decisions to block any content the provider considers objectionable.
    Cain says that “HB20 specifically authorizes social media platforms to censor that kind of content.” Then he posts a screenshot of two laws. First he posts the part of HB20 (Section 143A.006) that says:

This chapter does not prohibit a social media platform from censoring expression that:

(1) the social media platform is specifically authorized to censor by federal law;

And he highlights the “federal law” part. Then he, somewhat amazingly, posts a screen shot of the Good Samaritan section of Section 230, and specifically highlights the “excessively violent” part of 230(c)(2).

No provider or user of an interactive computer services shall be held liable on account of–

(A) any action voluntarily taken in good faith to restrict access to or availability of material that the provider or user considers to be obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protect.
    (Emphasis: original / mine)

Granted this is just the shitpost of a public official, not what the TX lawyers are arguing in court: but if Cain is being honest about the law's intent, it seems like that would mean that, by design, no relief could ever be granted under the nuisance suits it encourages.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Not to say people don't get randomly insulted garbage on twitter, but like people like Jordan Peterson don't just get it out of the blue. So he's more upset about the fuck around and find out variety of twitter discourse than random hateful assholes who he probably supports.

It's gross because you look at all the fucked up hate female/gay/trans/PoC people get on Twitter just for existing and he comes along coopting the problem as his own because of all the hate he gets for the vile shit he spouts, despite the circumstances of the hate being completely different than from the other problem.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.