As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Man, I'm thinking the autocomplete code hasn't been maintained in a while. I tried to autocomplete a Wild Mage deck, and it threw together what seems to be a mostly competent Secret Mage deck, but it just stopped at 29/30 cards. I clicked Complete again, and it didn't put in another card. Weird.

Incidentally, it was actually convenient though because I'm just gonna throw Nozdormu in as the 30th card for the 1,500 XP quest.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I haven't seen anyone play Secret Mage in months.

Mages are rare in and of themselves, but the ones that do pop up are either Mech or Time Warp + Grey Sage Parrot.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not surprised you don't see them. HSReplay didn't show any Secret Mages in the Wild lists it showed me.

I'm missing a ton of the cards needed for Mech Mage and I never had the Time Warp quest either, so it's not unreasonable that it threw together Secret Mage for me. I'm sure there are other under-collection'd people out there playing it and it still probably posts lukewarm win rates, so that's probably the best thing it could find with my cards. Still doesn't explain the completer just giving up at 29 cards.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    3 bgs games today:

tess: easy 1st
    azshara: easy 1st
    finley: didn't get offered a good hp: crashed out in 6th

(its a sign of an extremely unhealthy meta when tess is this good)

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    3 bgs games today:

tess: easy 1st
    azshara: easy 1st
    finley: didn't get offered a good hp: crashed out in 6th

(its a sign of an extremely unhealthy meta when tess is this good)

100%. Tess always shines when there is little build diversity since her hero power becomes incredibly consistent.

I’ve stepped back from BGs lately because it’s boring.

• Options
    Patch is supposed to be coming on Thursday with Standard changes and BG changes (read: Naga nerfs).

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    running into a bunch of people with custom finishers in BGs these days and i don't know if that means my rating is high or low

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It means they spent money on the game, op

PS i really hope they nerf naga enough because this shit is sooooo boringgggg

5rvzkTA.png?1

Beasteh on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Hey all, been awhile and I'm not sure if this is the right place but... looks like Ben Brode's finally revealing his new (Marvel) game tomorrow:

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Might as well, this thread doesn't move too fast these days and I think a lot of the old HS players have been curious about Brode's future work.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Hopefully it's a little more innovative than something like Elder Scrolls: Legends. Don't really need Infinitystone: Superheroes of Earth-1 that badly.

• Options
    Frankly my expectations are pretty low. I'm expecting more style over substance, but we'll see.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Gameplay I expect to be simple, but presentation/UI should be pretty fantastic.

• Options
    ih6pf7c0lli9.png

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

5rvzkTA.png?1

I have zero fucking clue why "Your Spellcraft minions cast their Spellcrafts on themselves at the end of your turn" is a fucking Tier 3 minion

Why is the Tier 5 2/2 that doubles stats at the start of combat even a fucking thing when you've got the +1/+1 for playing a spell? Why is it TIER 5 when the other is Tier 4?

WHY CAN YOU HAVE A BOARD OF FOUR DIVINE SHIELD/WINDFURY MINIONS

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    it's really funny how scared they were of the "double your stats" guy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dibby wrote: »

5rvzkTA.png?1

I have zero fucking clue why "Your Spellcraft minions cast their Spellcrafts on themselves at the end of your turn" is a fucking Tier 3 minion
    I think they just underestimated the effectiveness of the mid to late game scaling of Naga. Spellcraft being a "this turn only" buff mechanic probably made them think of that T3 minion as a "oh this will be a nice tempo play to help your little early game 1/3 duders be useful a little longer" sort of thing.

Still hard to imagine exactly why their internal play testing didn't have Nagas winning too much (I assume?). Or maybe Naga were undertuned in play testing and they did some last minute buffs that went too far?

forty on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Quills were also released op, it's done deliberately to increase engagement with the game mode. Nothing worse than releasing a new tribe and everyone is playing the old stuff.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    Quills were also released op, it's done deliberately to increase engagement with the game mode. Nothing worse than releasing a new tribe and everyone is playing the old stuff.

the harsh lessons of TGT still being felt to this day

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Personally, I think Naga will be reasonably powerful if you do just two changes:

1) Remove Stormscale Siren
    2) Limit Athissa to Spellcraft spells.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »

5rvzkTA.png?1

I think they just underestimated the effectiveness of the mid to late game scaling of Naga. Spellcraft being a "this turn only" buff mechanic probably made them think of that T3 minion as a "oh this will be a nice tempo play to help your little early game 1/3 duders be useful a little longer" sort of thing.

Still hard to imagine exactly why their internal play testing didn't have Nagas winning too much (I assume?). Or maybe Naga were undertuned in play testing and they did some last minute buffs that went too far?

I mean my guess is that they were building wrong or doing weird hybrid builds (like slapping the DivShield Spellcraft into some completely random comp). The most hybrid-ing I've done is gotten a Cleave as my first minion with DivShield/Windfury just to shit over someone's board, but.

I dunno, were they just not running that stuff? Most new tribes it takes me a hot minute to figure out "Oh, this is how you're supposed to scale and how it works, got it" but with Nagas it was instant. Immediately identified the good and the bad ones. The Tier 3 self-cast one (swtg I'll learn the names someday) is an early game tempo play without other support, yet.... But then you toss in the +1/+1 per spell played and you start immediately ramping big boys. You toss in the 5/7 that gives +2/+2 permanently on spellcraft cast and that starts giving you +4/+4 to your board each turn. You transition out of the 5/7 into the T6 one (Tidemistress). Like you aim for the T3 minion straight away without any other Nagas because it's that important and central to the comp, then you start picking up whatever rando Spellcrafts until you get The Good Shit (Windfury, DivShield), you get up to four Windfuries and DivShields on your board and run away with the game.

Like yo straight up:

Good Early/Mid Game Nagas
    • Mini Myrm (It's a 3/3! It beats out Rockpool! It beats out most stuff! It ties with a lot of stuff!) You can toss the Spellcraft onto other minions too! You pretty much toss it asap but wow, that's a great Tier 1 minion.
    • Shell Collector. It's the functional equivalent of a token minion. That's legit it, that's why it's good. You get to keep a pretty solid body and use the coin on the 5 gold turn to get two Tier 2 minions. Good for early tavern tiering too. Shit body but that coin does some work. I grab it pretty much always on Turn 1 if it's available. The value is too good.
    • Lava Lurker, if you can start dumping Deep Sea Angler's Spellcraft on it. Otherwise, getting it too late or without any support is... really detrimental. Early pick yes, anything later than early game avoid the shit out of. Good/Bad.
    • Stormscale Siren. Why does a Tier 3 minion have the power level of a Tier 6 minion. Why. Fucking why. The single best Naga. The best one!!!

Bad Early/Mid Game Nagas
    • Snail Cavalry. WOW, +2 health per turn once a turn, that's just sooooo amazing :/ It's a worse Lava Lurker, it's entirely too fucking slow and does nothing, relies on other Spellcrafts.
    • Deep Sea Angler. I used to think this was amazing, and like maybe the first few turns yeah it's alright? Loses value so fast though. It's good for slapping onto Lava Lurker, that's it.
    • Pashmar the Vengeful. The fuck is this, why do you want random Spellcrafts that have an Avenge conditional?
    • Shoal Commander. On its own, terrible. Needs close to a full board of Nagas to be worthwhile, it has a 2/2 body if you're not putting it on itself. I used to think "whoa this is The Shit", but. Honestly only with Stormscale Siren, because they autobuff themselves. Otherwise nah I grab maybe one but otherwise skip it.
    • Lava Lurker. Get it late and it's worthless. Don't get the Spellcrafts you really want for it, useless. Early highrolls can really make this shine but otherwise just grab Eventide Brutes!! Again, Good/Bad.
    • Nightmare Amalgam. Pairs best with like Shoal Commanders, for obvious reasons. But otherwise it don't do too much. Grab if you need, ditch asap.

Good Mid/Late Game Nagas
    • Eventide Brute. The Biggest Boy. The chonkiest lad. The most absolute unit. Grab as many Spellcrafts as you can and watch this baby soar. Combine with Stormscale and you run away with the lobby.
    • Waverider. Windfury. That's it, just Windfury.
    • Glowscale. Divine Shield. That's it, just Divine Shield. It comes with Taunt, ffs.
    • Critter Wrangler. This is the start of getting permanent board scaling. Fantastic with Stormscale, you ditch it as soon as you get Tidemistress.
    • Orgozoa, the Tender. This is... less "good" and more "decent in the meantime". An early triple into it is great. Late late game you wanna get the fuck rid of it, but otherwise it's free fucking minions each turn, easier triples, good value, free gold. Gets absolutely out of hand absurd combined with triple Stormscale.
    • Tidemistress Athissa. Get that party train rolling, this is The Naga minion.

Bad Mid/Late Game Nagas
    • Eelbound Archer. It has minor application for tossing onto a cleave or a minion that otherwise has a real shit body and helps it keep caught up, but. No. Just no, don't take this.
    • Corrupted Myrmidon. lol. lmao.
    • Orgozoa, for reasons mentioned above. Decent start, especially when you tier up to 6, otherwise it doesn't scale and clogs your hand with unsellable minions past a point.
    • Critter Wrangler, for reasons listed above. GREAT to start out with, loses value fast, doesn't self-scale.

I definitely slept on Critter Wrangler for a while. You want only just one, two on the board starts to clutter and you have less actual Spellcraft minions on board. But it starts the actual scaling process. Ditch for Tidemistress but otherwise, free stonks.

After playing a shitton of these assholes, here's what I think needs to happen in a basic sense:
    - Stat nerfs, obviously. Some you just pick-up and they're already just well statted without any real support. Why does Waverider have 8 fucking health???
    - Tier nerfs, why the actual goddamn shit is Stormscale Tier 3. That's insane. Anyoe who plays with that will realize that is the backbone of Nagas and if you don't get one you're fucked.
    - Fix the goddamn Tavern buffing
    - Maybe just allow Spellcrafts only for Naga. I dunno dude, there's something that rubs me wrong about having a 50/50+ Foe Reaper with DivShield/Windfury.
    - Waverider should be Tier 5, straight up. Fuckin' ridiculous at Tier 4.
    - I'd say "get rid of Mymidon" but that'd actually be a buff. So I don't know, move it down to Tier 4 to offset Waverider.
    - Athissa's base stats need a hefty nerf. You triple into that and it's already a 7/8. Try a 6/6 man, idk.
    - Eventide Brute is a bit of a problem. Limit the amount of buffs per turn?

pls balance game Team 5 thx u

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I still think release elementals were the most broken tribe they ever released by far

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    The patch is supposed to be today, right? Don't we usually get patchnotes beforehand?

Anyway, on @Dibby 's nerf list I mostly disagree with spellcraft not working on other minions. Menagerie should be playable and this helps with that (if Nagas are nerfed overall).
    Otherwise I would nerf Tidemistress to only buff 3 Naga before touching her stats. For other Naga I think some stat nerfs are fine. I wouldn't overdo it, because Naga as a comp hinges heavily on Tidemistress imo, so nerfing her should be the main focus. Can always do another balance patch next week if it's not enough (lol).

• Options
    they pretty much said on twitter that the notes will be coming in hot due to localization

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Coming in hot!

Constructed
    • Drek'thar nerf (3,000 gold refund for people who bought the Diamond one).
    • Obvious Multi-Strike nerf.
    • Dragonbane shot nerf (Questline Hunter).
    • Lots of cards buffed.
    Battlegrounds
    • Flurgl nerfed in BGs (not a big surprise, he's been T1 for a while).
    • Tons of Naga nerfs.
    • Darkgaze Elder (new Quilboar) buff nerf.
    • Young Murk-Eye nerfed (I didn't realize he was even a problem).

Edit:

Oh and they fixed the Spellcraft on Magnetic minions abuse.

forty on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Darkgaze Elder got nerfed, not buffed.

Those naga nerfs are really tiny.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Notes have dropped: https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23797162

Things That Went Down
    Drek now only summons 1 minion.
    Multi-Strike to 2 mana
    Dragonbane Shot to 3 mana
    If you own Diamond Drek, you get 3000 gold when the patch goes live

Things That Went Up
    Xhilag's Stalks now start at 2 damage
    Harpoon Gun now reduces Dredge by 3
    Pet Collector to 4/4
    Azsharan Saber to 4/3
    Blackwater Behemoth to 7 mana
    Whirlpool to 8
    Shadowcloth Needle to 1
    Serpent Wig is now a +1/+2 buff
    Tooth of Nefarian to 2
    SI:7 Smuggler starts with a 1-mana minion instead of 0
    Wildpaw Gnoll to 5 mana 4/5
    Tess Graymane to 7
    Hench Clan Burglar to 4/4
    Sira’kess Cultist to 3/4
    Dragged Below to 3
    Azsharan Scavenger to 2 mana 2/3 (spawned card is also buffed)
    Bloodscent Vilefin to 3 mana 3/4

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    diamond drek'thar buyers in shambles
    Any players who own Diamond Drek’Thar at the time that the patch goes live will automatically receive 3,000 Gold when they log in as a refund.

Beasteh on
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Darkgaze Elder got nerfed, not buffed.
    Whoops you're right, I read that too fast (was thinking it was 4 minions buffed to 5.
    reVerse wrote:
    Those naga nerfs are really tiny.
    I disagree.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Woo, my beast hunter deck just got some huge upgrades!

Although, Saber to 4/3 isnt all that great. They should have dropped his mana cost by one and left him at 3/3. He's really awkward to play with Harpoon sometimes

Harpoon Gun buff is kind of insane, though, it was already a really good card

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Yeah, Beast Hunter seems like it could be a legit deck now. I think I'm short a couple of the key legendaries though so I'll probably hold off on crafting to see if it's actually strong in the new meta.

• Options
    I'm a bit concerned that priest may actually be viable now and not boar or shellfish

• Options
    edited May 2022
    And, here, we, go.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rnAN1-cP6w

Closed beta sign ups for Android on the website.

Edit - After watching the reveal, it looks good. There's tons of characters in here and variants for each card, that it seems like a great way to make it accessible while also allowing for the collectable aspect of it. Gameplay looks interesting and sounds like it could be a good/quick game to play, but I'd need to see a full game footage or get my hands on it. I had a big smile seeing Ben excited again. I'd really like to see some unedited gameplay and I signed up for closed beta, because really it just comes down to how it plays and is it fun to play.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    On the other hand, if we don't get some significant new Druid predators in the face of the DH nerfs, we might be back to Druidstone yet again.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Game looks more Hearthstone than Hearthstone ever will be, even simpler, shorter, and phone-first, so I guess that's the natural evolution from Brode.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    forty wrote: »
    Yeah, Beast Hunter seems like it could be a legit deck now. I think I'm short a couple of the key legendaries though so I'll probably hold off on crafting to see if it's actually strong in the new meta.

### Sabertooth Control
    # Class: Hunter
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Hydra
    #
    # 2x (0) Devouring Swarm
    # 2x (1) Barbed Nets
    # 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
    # 2x (1) Tracking
    # 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
    # 2x (2) Doggie Biscuit
    # 2x (2) Quick Shot
    # 2x (2) Selective Breeder
    # 2x (3) Harpoon Gun
    # 2x (3) Revive Pet
    # 1x (4) Ambassador Faelin
    # 2x (4) Azsharan Saber
    # 1x (5) Imported Tarantula
    # 2x (5) Pet Collector
    # 1x (5) The Rat King
    # 1x (6) Beaststalker Tavish
    # 1x (7) Hydralodon
    # 2x (7) Mountain Bear
    # 1x (9) King Krush
    #
    AAECAR8IyvsDh/0D25EErJ8E4Z8E5bAE57kEm8kEC+rpA5T8A8OABKmfBLugBNejBOWkBMCsBJ2wBMC5BIPIBAA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I know theres a bunch of Beast Hunter decks out there (even had a post on HSReplay recently):
    lu6uvmrlmnz81.png
    that run stuff like Vanndar, Barak, Ichman, Houndmaster, etc, but I don't like any of those and I think it turns it into more of a combo deck than a consistent one. One thing I see most decks run is Stormpike Battle Ram and I'm still iffy on it. I'm on the fence about taking out the Tarantula and a Quick Shot for two of those, but I feel like pulling those from a Sunken Saber would feel bad compared to the options I have now.

Only legendaries that are "key" imo are Rat King, Krush. If I didn't have Tavish, I'd probably run a secrets package. Hydralodon is good, too, but I'm never feeling like it wins games, its just annoying for the opponent to clear and they almost always do if he gets cheated out. It wins mostly from having a really sticky board with rush all over the place.

edit: I'm 7-2 with this today now at Diamond 2

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Edit - After watching the reveal, it looks good. There's tons of characters in here and variants for each card, that it seems like a great way to make it accessible while also allowing for the collectable aspect of it. Gameplay looks interesting and sounds like it could be a good/quick game to play, but I'd need to see a full game footage or get my hands on it. I had a big smile seeing Ben excited again. I'd really like to see some unedited gameplay and I signed up for closed beta, because really it just comes down to how it plays and is it fun to play.

Here's some unedited gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMEEHH1E8ko&ab_channel=MarvelSnap

Its definitely a "mobile game". I'll probably play it at least for a bit (signed up for the beta), but the depth just isn't there, imo.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ramp druid is back with a vengeance on ladder

• Options
    ramp druid is back with a vengeance on ladder

I havent seen a single Druid all day and I've climbed from Diamond 4 to Diamond 1

• Options
    it's really funny to me that curse warlock received nerfs late in development because it was miserable to play against but because they made so many curse cards for warlock they can't NOT buff them as part of their buff patch

liEt3nH.png