As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    also the epr, specifically, is a very very funny choice for "we need clean power by 2035"

rftifieoer8x.png

some tables explain themselves

since i made that flamanville has been postponed again lol

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Bloody hell, it's a big kettle powered by glowy rocks, how long do they need

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

How much money do you have left?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

amusingly this isnt the first time that british officials have been getting trolled by this as u would expect

in 2016 the head of the EDF/AREVA/Framatome technical union FNCS NORBERT TANGY (things get messy around that period but thats a powerful name) sent a letter to the uk then department of energy and climate change. its a thrilling read containing sentences like:
    The French Safety Authority (ASN) released that tests results do not comply with the
    regulation concerning the reactor vessel bottom and the reactor vessel head of the
    Flamanville 3 EPR. There is a risk that the final ASN clearance expected in Spring
    2017 will be negative. In addition, the reactor vessel of Taishan 1 in China was also
    manufactured by Areva NP in Le Creusot plant and then suffers identical flaws. So
    far, there is no certainty that the EPR technology could be commissioned soon.
    Taishan 2 could possibly be the first EPR to be commissioned in the world. Feedback
    experience from EPR is then likely to be based under a later milestone than expected
    which would be now based on Taishan 2 commissioning’s time table
    Neither does it set up the
    demonstration that EDF SA meets the skill levels and the human capacity
    mobilisation necessary to safely manage in parallel the major nuclear projects of
    “Grand Carénage” (life extension for the EDF SA existing nuclear fleet), Flamanville
    3, Olkiluoto 3, Taishan 1 & 2 and Hinkley Point C 1 & 2.
    With respect to the Hinkley Point C project, the Fédération Nationale des Cadres
    Supérieurs de l'Énergie then advices to delay the FID until better upfront industrial
    visibility is evidenced.

so far so funny but then they receive this letter

http://www.fncseg.com/sites/default/files/fichier_blog/courrier_commission_energie_01_08_16.pdf

q5gla792ewh7.png

at the same time as their finance director monsieur piquemal mysteriously decided resigning was a good idea too very strange how these things happen

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Sounds like BEIS have a tough gig ahead of them to navigate the realities of construction and Ministerial steers- but are they're doing a reasonable job in the circumstances? Feels like this veers away from "how government functions" into "nuclear policy is a bit of a hot mess"

• Options
    edited May 2022
    o yeah its about the specifics of this thing not BEIS officials being bad officials qua officials for sure

squaring the mess with the nominal policy is going to be v v hard

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    What are your thoughts on the Small Modular Reactors that keep getting brought up in the news? Nice idea for 2050+, or something that could be feasible in the near future?

• Options
    the slightly misleadingly named rolls royce 470-ishmw SMR thats really more of a MMR will almost certainly work because the design itself is not running into as many engineering or physical issues as u see in the bigger jobs, but whether or not it manages to be as fast or as cheap as they claim is another story. if they are actually £1.8bn and not a ballache to make then why not. on the other hand they dont really solve a huge chunk of the problems of nuclear reactors in the uk, one extremely fun element being eg we have nowhere to put radioactive waste, and the hypothetical underground waste storage facility was quietly doubled in price to a princely sum of £53bn in the most recent gov paper on the topic this year

in general it would be extremely surprising if any reactors of any kind get rolling before 2030 and if 2035 is your target things are going to be tight

of course luckily the gov white paper says we plan to have a viable commercial fusion reactor by 2040 so why are we worrying

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    By 2041 the Prime Minister promises we will have captured the Flash and strapped him into a giant hamster wheel to provide endless energy via the Speed Force.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    By 2041 the Prime Minister promises we will have captured the Flash and strapped him into a giant hamster wheel to provide endless energy via the Speed Force.

Any energy he creates would be offset by the huge amount of hamburgers he eats.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Just saw a chyron on the news saying that a Tory MP has been arrested on rape charges.

I'm assuming it was the one mentioned the other day told to not show up for work?

The thing that grabbed me was that according to the chyrom, it was over a n EIGHT year period.
    British Tory MP arrested over allegations of rape, sexual assault from 2002-2009

What the fuck?

MorganV on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The establishment protects its own. See Cyril Smith

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Was this reported then, or is that when it happened? Because often it can take victims years to come forwards.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Was this reported then, or is that when it happened? Because often it can take victims years to come forwards.

I understand that there is a reticence to coming forward for those to whom this was done.

I guess my issue isn't with them, and more that it was persistent for as long as it was.

When I was growing up, I knew of three families in my local area where domestic violence was known to occur. It was an open secret, to the point where several families had an open door policy for the kids, should the dipshit go on a bender.

In one case, it was again an open secret that you did not send your daughters to one of those houses, especially overnight. Thankfully that guy is dead now, may he rot in hell.

Just wondering how you keep something like that a secret for eight years, without anyone being suspicious to the point of warning.

Guess there are details we don't know about (how many incidents, how many people upon whom a crime was committed, how long was this guy in public office, etc), the timeframe just took me by surprise.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The BBC, much maligned of late, has pulled a blinder with this very grim story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61508520

Good work from them, and I hope we get more information from a proper public enquiry

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I understand that there is a reticence to coming forward for those to whom this was done.

I guess my issue isn't with them, and more that it was persistent for as long as it was.

When I was growing up, I knew of three families in my local area where domestic violence was known to occur. It was an open secret, to the point where several families had an open door policy for the kids, should the dipshit go on a bender.

In one case, it was again an open secret that you did not send your daughters to one of those houses, especially overnight. Thankfully that guy is dead now, may he rot in hell.

Just wondering how you keep something like that a secret for eight years, without anyone being suspicious to the point of warning.

Guess there are details we don't know about (how many incidents, how many people upon whom a crime was committed, how long was this guy in public office, etc), the timeframe just took me by surprise.

They do warn and tell each other, and just keep it hush hush from outsiders.

The same way a neighborhood might allow things without involving the police every time.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So the Met has concluded its Partygate inquiry. Final count, 126 fines issued - and notably, Johnson didn't add to his one. (The highest individual count was one unnamed individual who scored five, apparently.)

Predictably, it's now time to "move on" and the Sue Gray report remains conspicuous by its absence. (Edit: apparently it's due next week? We shall see.)

Edit: mind you, there's also this...
    Civil servants and special advisers have reacted with fury and disbelief after Scotland Yard confirmed Boris Johnson got only one of 126 fines levied for law-breaking parties at the heart of Downing Street and Whitehall.

The Metropolitan police came under intense pressure to explain how it reached its conclusions after Downing Street said officers confirmed no further action would be taken against the prime minister despite him attending gatherings for which others were fined.

Jazz on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

They do warn and tell each other, and just keep it hush hush from outsiders.

The same way a neighborhood might allow things without involving the police every time.

The thing about whisper networks is that whispers are quiet.

• Options
    So he attended illegal parties but apparently did so in a way that was totally legal.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    So he attended illegal parties but apparently did so in a way that was totally legal.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Like those bits in Arrival but instead of a little whiteboard it's a plate of tiny sausage rolls

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Only people in photos got fines, even though the Met had keycard data and lists of people attending functions and eye witness accounts.
    The presumed excuse was that they only issues FPNs to people who had absolutely no chance of challenging them.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The Met aren't exactly helping their image of being nothing but stooges for the tories with this. Especially as all of the information on who actually got fined remains undisclosed. To highlight a quote from a Lib Dem peer:
    Brian Paddick, now a Liberal Democrat peer, said: “The Met has no defence to the accusation that it gave the prime minister one fixed-penalty notice (FPN) as that was the minimum he could be fined, but did not do so for other events for political reasons,” he said.

-
    Solar wrote: »
    The BBC, much maligned of late, has pulled a blinder with this very grim story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61508520

Good work from them, and I hope we get more information from a proper public enquiry

There's so much absolutely alarming stuff in this report I don't know where to start. I'd be surprised by it all, except these are the exact same tactics the security services used (and got away with) in Northern Ireland.

altid on
  • Options
    Boris: "Brexit's a great idea, we don't need the EU."
    Stanley Johnson becomes French to keep link with EU
    Boris Johnson's father Stanley says he has become a French national, telling a Belgium news website he wanted to keep "a link" with the EU after Brexit.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Disappointed with the French, they should have told him to fuck right off.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »

Don't blame a father for the sins of the son.

Unless he's on record as a Brexiteer in which case bleugh.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

As I recall, he's been one of Boris' media reps for quite awhile.

• Options
    Stanley Johnson abused his wife and is absolutely a trash fire of a human being.

• Options
    Okay, bleugh it is.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

Preferred remain, switched to brexit support once vote went through. Flip flopping seems to be in the family. Also, this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGr3qbOPHoE

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    An interesting thread from Peston about how the fines have been distributed in no 10. Very much in line with 'operation save big dog' by blaming all the lower level staff and avoiding the higher ups in charge. Also raises further doubt over how impartially the fines have been applied.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Here at Penny Arcade in an exclusive scoop I have obtained this exclusive transcript of Boris Johnsons interview with the metropolitan police.

https://youtu.be/cUWyODR1_sA

How was he to know there was a party going on!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

I blame the father for the sins of the son's father.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I blame the father for the sins of the son's father.

Wait, I know this one: the surgeon is a woman

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    altid wrote: »
    An interesting thread from Peston about how the fines have been distributed in no 10. Very much in line with 'operation save big dog' by blaming all the lower level staff and avoiding the higher ups in charge. Also raises further doubt over how impartially the fines have been applied.

Normally I'd have some sympathy for young people caught up in things, but this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

You hang around with shit-flinging monkeys long enough...

It's no secret who and what modern conservatives are. If you're still willing to work for them as a means to an end of gaining wealth or power, yeah, my sympathies are with the people your assistance hurts.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Stanley Johnsons position is perfectly in line with what I'd expect from the aristocratic POS he is. Rich people can get citizenship anywhere they like with their money, only poor people need open borders to go where they want. In his world view that should be taken away and restricted to the privileged few.

• Options
    It's no secret who and what modern conservatives are. If you're still willing to work for them as a means to an end of gaining wealth or power, yeah, my sympathies are with the people your assistance hurts.

Does the same logic apply across the Civil Service?

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Stanley Johnsons position is perfectly in line with what I'd expect from the aristocratic POS he is. Rich people can get citizenship anywhere they like with their money, only poor people need open borders to go where they want. In his world view that should be taken away and restricted to the privileged few.

Serfdom 2.0, as always the proles lacking options decreases their bargaining power relative to the elite.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Gumpy wrote: »

I think it kind of does, to an extent

Like, I'm job hunting at the moment and have specifically ruled out a couple of civil service jobs because I know that taking a neutral stance on policy implementation is not something I'm going to be comfortable with, especially in the current climate

I do think that I may have made different choices (in fact I did, I was a fast stream applicant) pre Brexit, so I have some sympathies with anyone that made these decisions at a time when we had governments that weren't as outright unhinged as this one

Edit: to develop the thought a little further, by now it's perfectly clear that this government is perfectly willing to throw the civil service, same even particular civil servants, under the bus for policy failures, so I think the "social contract" of civil service independence can no longer really be relied upon

japan on
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »

I think it kind of does, to an extent

Like, I'm job hunting at the moment and have specifically ruled out a couple of civil service jobs because I know that taking a neutral stance on policy implementation is not something I'm going to be comfortable with, especially in the current climate

I do think that I may have made different choices (in fact I did, I was a fast stream applicant) pre Brexit, so I have some sympathies with anyone that made these decisions at a time when we had governments that weren't as outright unhinged as this one

Edit: to develop the thought a little further, by now it's perfectly clear that this government is perfectly willing to throw the civil service, same even particular civil servants, under the bus for policy failures, so I think the "social contract" of civil service independence can no longer really be relied upon

At least it's the entire Civil Service, and not just the young diary managers, that are at the pointed end of this thought - which I guess gives some relief!

So what do we do with Civil Servants, if the view is that they are actively hurting the rest of the population?

This discussion has been closed.