As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

1939495969799»

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    And a bit more info...

Static Server Meshing - the servers are pre-defined spaces that are created by CIG. This will be their first implementation. The likely way they do it is by giving each planet its own dedicated server, and when you enter quantum travel to go from one planet to another, that's when the server hand-off will happen and theoretically your ship and crew and all your belongings that you have with you will seamlessly transfer to the new planet you are flying to.

Dynamic Server Meshing - let's say that 100 people all show up to the planet of Hurston. They would theoretically be able to spin up a new server on the fly and put Everus Harbor on its own server. So now you have two servers where before there was one. You have the server running the planet of Hurston, and you have a separate new server that was generated to support the people who are at Everus. Then let's say that of those 100 people, 50 of them go to Lorville and the rest of the 50 are kinda spread all over the place randomly. They might spin up a server which would handle Lorville. So the 50 people in Lorville would be on a separate server from the rest of the people who are scattered about the rest of the planet. Then, let's say an 890 Jump quantums into Hurston Aerospace with like 20 passengers on board who are having a party. That 890 Jump might also be its own server. So then we'd be looking at a situation where -- just within the region of Hurston we have a Lorville server, a Hurston planet server, an Everus Harbor server, and an 890 Jump server. That's the way dynamic server meshing is supposed to work, in theory.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    3.17.1 is live in the PU

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I do really wish that large ships didn't despawn ever and small ships only despawned if you sent them to a parking garage.

That seems like what the ultimate goal would be. The question of "what happens to my incredibly expensive assets when I'm offline?" is one that needs to be solved for player structures which are even more defenseless and expensive.

I also happen to be of the opinion that PC's avatars should not despawn and should just be computer controlled while the player is off-line. Just suspend certain functions and hand wave that they are doing certain upkeep functions like maintenance and repair or whatever. If they are on a station or a planet when they log out then the avatar will go check into a hab or something.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    And a bit more info...

Static Server Meshing - the servers are pre-defined spaces that are created by CIG. This will be their first implementation. The likely way they do it is by giving each planet its own dedicated server, and when you enter quantum travel to go from one planet to another, that's when the server hand-off will happen and theoretically your ship and crew and all your belongings that you have with you will seamlessly transfer to the new planet you are flying to.

Dynamic Server Meshing - let's say that 100 people all show up to the planet of Hurston. They would theoretically be able to spin up a new server on the fly and put Everus Harbor on its own server. So now you have two servers where before there was one. You have the server running the planet of Hurston, and you have a separate new server that was generated to support the people who are at Everus. Then let's say that of those 100 people, 50 of them go to Lorville and the rest of the 50 are kinda spread all over the place randomly. They might spin up a server which would handle Lorville. So the 50 people in Lorville would be on a separate server from the rest of the people who are scattered about the rest of the planet. Then, let's say an 890 Jump quantums into Hurston Aerospace with like 20 passengers on board who are having a party. That 890 Jump might also be its own server. So then we'd be looking at a situation where -- just within the region of Hurston we have a Lorville server, a Hurston planet server, an Everus Harbor server, and an 890 Jump server. That's the way dynamic server meshing is supposed to work, in theory.

The question I haven't seen adequately answered is what happens in certain edge cases. For the sake of argument, lets say 50 is the limit that an individual server can handle. What happens when that 890 Jump with 20 people in it lands in that instance of Hurston, which already has 50 people in it, and disembarks? As far as I'm aware the answer is "They would be put into a different instance of Hurston that had capacity for those 20 people" but I don't think that's confirmed. And in the case of two big ships with 50 players each on them, each of which is spun out into its own server, what happens if all 100 players decide to disembark and have a fight on foot?

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I hate taking off, getting into orbit, and then realizing I forgot to pack a bottle of water and a burrito

5gsowHm.png
  • HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I hate taking off, getting into orbit, and then realizing I forgot to pack a bottle of water and a burrito

At least food shops are on every station, so you don't have go all the way down again.

Syngyne wrote: »

This, and also there needs to be a way to buy food and water in bulk.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Hopefully one day ships will have working refrigerators to store that stuff on board. Then you just restock and resupply once a week or so.

Especially ships that have a galley.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hopefully one day ships will have working refrigerators to store that stuff on board. Then you just restock and resupply once a week or so.

Only if it allows for shenanigans like stealing a ship's complement of food and stuffing the fridge full of explosives that go off about two seconds after the door is opened. Or shoes.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Got everything updated, character remade, and jumped to the Lagrange point just outside of Crusader for going to the expo tomorrow. Going to take the Khartu-al in the polar camo with the Neutron repeaters that really fit in with the theme color-wise

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I mean they have storage that works now, but if I want to put 100 bottles of water into my ship's storage I have to buy them one at a time, with an "Are you sure you want to buy this?" Menu in between each.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Only if it allows for shenanigans like stealing a ship's complement of food and stuffing the fridge full of explosives that go off about two seconds after the door is opened. Or shoes.

Ok the idea that I could get killed through the cockpit only for 20lbs of high explosives to go off once the gankers try to take the food is only slightly less hilarious than me forgetting I did that during QT and blowing myself up.

This discussion has been closed.