As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Social Media]: Our Blasted Digital Hellscape

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    He was obviously replying to the last part of the post without thinking about the first part, which is a thing I have seen human beings do so many times its not even funny, including right here on these very forums, over and over, forever.

I hate the man but this was just his regular carelessness. 1000% he will argue that if it comes down to it.

The thing about musk is he's very rich and powerful but he's only really about average intelligence. He doesn't have huge cunning plans, he's just halfway decent at getting people who can do the thinking for him together (a learnt skill anyone can acquire) and has a lot of money (which makes it easier). You always have to think down.

Oh yeah, and he also clearly just straight up is completely indifferent to the consequences of his actions, so when it comes to tweeting badly thought out stuff, he just does it, cos nothing is going to happen to him that is real and he knows it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I honestly just can't take seriously any conspiracy theory that assumes Musk must have some cunning plan because have you seen this attempted takeover? It's a farce. He's bumbling his way through. When was the last time you saw a takeover this stupid.

99% of the time even the most "wtf" takeovers you don't hear about it until it's already happened and a done deal.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't ascribe to the guy some kind of joker massive plan, he just seems like a really rich asshole who's literally never suffered a consequence in his life.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I honestly just can't take seriously any conspiracy theory that assumes Musk must have some cunning plan because have you seen this attempted takeover? It's a farce. He's bumbling his way through. When was the last time you saw a takeover this stupid.

99% of the time even the most "wtf" takeovers you don't hear about it until it's already happened and a done deal.

He managed to survive the dot com boom and got hair plugs and now the market, and Musk himself, are convinced he's the savior of human civilization. I don't see it either. After this attempt to buy Twitter though he has become far more openly right wing/fascist. It's kind of scary.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    By waiving due diligence, does it even matter if Twitter is full of shit? You're supposed to figure this shit out before you make the bid, let alone demanding the other guy do it once they've already accepted his offer.

Is this what happened? There's a lot of "that's illegal" bring thrown around and I'm very uncertain if it actually is: Twitter does represent that number in their financial reports, so if it's obviously untrue then that landing on Twitter isn't obviously wrong.

Is the text of the original Twitter deal online public in some capacity?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    By waiving due diligence, does it even matter if Twitter is full of shit? You're supposed to figure this shit out before you make the bid, let alone demanding the other guy do it once they've already accepted his offer.

Is this what happened? There's a lot of "that's illegal" bring thrown around and I'm very uncertain if it actually is: Twitter does represent that number in their financial reports, so if it's obviously untrue then that landing on Twitter isn't obviously wrong.

I think still think Twitter defined users in a very specific way precisely so they could claim something that's technically true on paper, while still papering over how infested their platform is with them. And Musk has been around the game long enough that he, or his lawyers should spotted what Twitter was up to a mile away. I sort of have to believe this really did come out of nowhere, or it's being used by Musk to hide his cold feet, because frankly this is embarrassing for Musk. It really does make him look like an out of touch Richy Rich buying play toys.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I think still think Twitter defined users in a very specific way precisely so they could claim something that's technically true on paper, while still papering over how infested their platform is with them. And Musk has been around the game long enough that he, or his lawyers should spotted what Twitter was up to a mile away. I sort of have to believe this really did come out of nowhere, or it's being used by Musk to hide his cold feet, because frankly this is embarrassing for Musk. It really does make him look like an out of touch Richy Rich buying play toys.

I mean from the get go my belief was that "too many bots" was being used as the real escape clause and Twitter were perhaps being too quick signing what was a decent exit for them.

• Options

I mean from the get go my belief was that "too many bots" was being used as the real escape clause and Twitter were perhaps being too quick signing what was a decent exit for them.

I think they panicked when he actually lined up funding. They either took the deal or got sued by their shareholders.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It is definitely not illegal to have a contingent aspect of a bid be that the company proves its public financials and reported information. Going into a deal "knowing" that that information is incorrect in order to trigger the renege clause and or do other stock manipulation may or may not be illegal but i would severely doubt that it is. (and even if it was i don't see how you could prove it)

He didn't blackmail twitter and twitter absolutely could have forced him to takeover in a hostile manner(and so not opening their books, i think)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If Elon suspected the bots were rampant and the company was lying, he would have used that information from the start of his sales pitch to buy it, there's no way he has the discipline to keep such juicy info secret. It seems telling he only started to care about bots after Tesla's stock dumped.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I imagine the EU puffing out it's chest after the initial talks happened makes buying twitter a less appealing prospect than it was before hand.

• Options
    It could just as simply be he thought he'd be king god of twitter and then like someone whispered what that actually means and his smile got smaller and smaller. I mean look at that texas bill and not go "holy fuck." At all the dumb that would come from it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    From a layman's perspective, the only legal liability I could possibly see here would be:
    - Twitter for knowingly lying to their shareholders about how many monetizable users they had
    - Musk for spreading false claims about Twitter that damages their share price or something in that vein

I have no idea if either of those actually count for anything under US law though cause I ain't a lawyer.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    It is definitely not illegal to have a contingent aspect of a bid be that the company proves its public financials and reported information. Going into a deal "knowing" that that information is incorrect in order to trigger the renege clause and or do other stock manipulation may or may not be illegal but i would severely doubt that it is. (and even if it was i don't see how you could prove it)

He didn't blackmail twitter and twitter absolutely could have forced him to takeover in a hostile manner(and so not opening their books, i think)

Except that he waived due diligence.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    If this was Musk vs the government, he would walk away paying a fraction of a penny as far as he's concerned, but since these are investors with deep pockets he's shown total disdain for, he's probably going to lose out big on this one

• Options
    I'd love that, but I'll believe it when I see it. Honestly the best part of this would be like an asshole war between the right wing shitbags and the slightly less right dip shits just suing each other over and over.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Really? The actual contract he signed doesn’t require Twitter to prove its metrics?

He might be out a billion dollars then if he blows up the deal

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

Really? The actual contract he signed doesn’t require Twitter to prove its metrics?

He was in a rush to get his 4.20 bid in before April 20th

That both isn't a joke and oh so obviously is

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    It would make my day if events fall out like this:

1) Musk offers to buy Twitter for $46B
    2) Discovery reveals that Twitter has been lying about the size of their user base.
    3) Musk backs out of the deal with no penalties.
    4) The SEC fines Twitter into oblivion for falsifying information in their legally required annual reports.
    5) Musk loses the main tool for his hyping due to his efforts to protect his main tool for hyping.

Steps 1 and 2 are complete and Step 3 appears to be on track. I feel like I'm getting Christmas in July.

Also, Musk absolutely knows how many bots are on Twitter. Someone posted in the past couple of pages showing that his followers are around 70% bots.

Keep in mind, Twitter always has the option of just banning Musk from the service for the headaches that he is causing them, which will destroy his ability to hype his ventures and neuter him.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Burtletoy wrote: »

He was in a rush to get his 4.20 bid in before April 20th

That both isn't a joke and oh so obviously is

It's a joke but, IMO, not a particularly funny one.

On the other hand, it seems that he might actually experience a Consequence from it, so... maybe?

2) Discovery reveals that Twitter has been lying about the size of their user base.
    4) The SEC fines Twitter into oblivion for falsifying information in their legally required annual reports.
    5) Musk loses the main tool for his hyping due to his efforts to protect his main tool for hyping.

Steps 1 and 2 are complete and Step 3 appears to be on track. I feel like I'm getting Christmas in July.

Also, Musk absolutely knows how many bots are on Twitter. Someone posted in the past couple of pages showing that his followers are around 70% bots.

Keep in mind, Twitter always has the option of just banning Musk from the service for the headaches that he is causing them, which will destroy his ability to hype his ventures and neuter him.

and that's why he wants to own it, so they can't.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Ban him until the sale goes thru

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    If Elon suspected the bots were rampant and the company was lying, he would have used that information from the start of his sales pitch to buy it, there's no way he has the discipline to keep such juicy info secret. It seems telling he only started to care about bots after Tesla's stock dumped.

Don't forget the crypto crash!

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular

He waived due diligence and the contract has non disparagement and nondisclosure clauses along with a specific performance clause that could be used by a judge to force him to close the deal though in practice the parties settle out of court. It's going to be hilarious if this costs him more than the billion dollars.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    asur wrote: »

He waived due diligence and the contract has non disparagement and nondisclosure clauses along with a specific performance clause that could be used by a judge to force him to close the deal though in practice the parties settle out of court. It's going to be hilarious if this costs him more than the billion dollars.

One idea I've seen floated is that he's trying to get the banks to pull their funding from the deal by getting them to invoke their own underwriting policies, which would let him out of the matter without penalty.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It's wild to me that he waived due diligence yet agreed to a non disparagement clause, since dropping spicy hot takes on twitter about business deals in motion is like his whole thing.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    It's wild to me that he waived due diligence yet agreed to a non disparagement clause, since dropping spicy hot takes on twitter about business deals in motion is like his whole thing.

Isn't that just another way out for him? If he gets cold feet, he can shit talk Twitter on ... Twitter, and have the deal called off and claim victory (for whatever value of victory).

• Options
    I think he eats the billion dollar penalty if he does try and use that as out though?

• Options
    Special K wrote: »

Isn't that just another way out for him? If he gets cold feet, he can shit talk Twitter on ... Twitter, and have the deal called off and claim victory (for whatever value of victory).

I think its a quarterly thing, so maybe he already exited his other twitter position but he already owns 9.2% of the company stock! ~3 billion dollars worth! If he tanks the stock price, it could cost him even more than the $1bn walk away price!

• Options
    edited May 2022
    So we got a timely example today of how valuable twitter is for Elon. Yesterday he tweeted this:

Today a story broke that Space X paid a flight attendant $250k to stay silent about Musk asking for a happy ending after a massage and exposing himself to her. He was contacted before the story broke and asked for comment and he requested a deadline extension because "there was more to the story." He never provided any new information and instead went straight to twitter to drop a bunch of ominous sounding FUD to get ahead of the story and hijack the discussion.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    The quintessential "you made me a nazi" tweet.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    "The Democrats are the party of division and hate, so instead I'll join the party that facilitated an armed insurrection that sought to murder members of congress."

• Options
    I just know that under his tweet there are probably hundreds of bots and morons screaming "demexit!" And its 100% horseshit everytime.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Really, who among us hasn't groped a flight attendant and offered them a horse in exchange for sexual favors?

A horse.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Putting this in this thread because the stock market is not the economy.

Sure is a healthy and stable system we have here.

• Options
    I'm just so sick and tired of this all.

I CANNOT believe that Joe Biden whipped out Elon musk's dick on Elon musk's private jet and forced Elon musk to offer a flight attendent a horse for sex. And then, the nerve of it all, Biden had Elon musk and Elon musk's private company pay $250,000 to silence the flight attendent that was assaulted with Elon musk's dick!

Thanks, Obama

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

First of all everything was massively down that day
    Second major investment firms are not paying attention to every random meme anyone ever posts anyway

But it makes a good tweet that's likely to go viral and get attention

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Second major investment firms are not paying attention to every random meme anyone ever posts anyway

Look at the replies.

The fucking house GOP Twitter account retweeted it, blaming Biden

• Options
    edited May 2022

I CANNOT believe that Joe Biden whipped out Elon musk's dick on Elon musk's private jet and forced Elon musk to offer a flight attendent a horse for sex. And then, the nerve of it all, Biden had Elon musk and Elon musk's private company pay $250,000 to silence the flight attendent that was assaulted with Elon musk's dick!

Thanks, Obama

The dude's descent into right wing fascism continues apace. He's so far gone from reality, I bet he really does think that there's a woke leftist cult out there trying to ruin him.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

I mean, they're not paying attention, but their stock trading algorithm probably are? This trend was noticed over 10 years ago, after all
    A couple weeks ago, Huffington Post blogger Dan Mirvish noted a funny trend: when Anne Hathaway was in the news, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway's shares went up. He pointed to six dates going back to 2008 to show the correlation. Mirvish then suggested a mechanism to explain the trend: "automated, robotic trading programming are picking up the same chatter on the Internet about 'Hathaway' as the IMDb's StarMeter, and they're applying it to the stock market."

• Options

Thanks, Obama

The dude's descent into right wing fascism continues apace. He's so far gone from reality, I bet he really does think that there's a woke leftist cult out there trying to ruin him.

Ah you think fasicm is your ally? You merely adopted facism. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the democracy until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding! - Elon Musk, probably

This discussion has been closed.