As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One Year In, We are Still Playing [Genshin Impact]

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Dial up your cyberwebs and plug in these codes for exciting rewards*:

LANVJSFUD6CM

DTNUKTWCC6D9

HSNUKTXCCPWV

*Excitement not guaranteed.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Redeem codes from livestream:
    LANVJSFUD6CM
    DTNUKTWCC6D9
    HSNUKTXCCPWV

I didn't actually watch it myself, so that's secondhand. Only news I've heard is confirmation of simultaneous banners for Yelan and Xiao, followed by a banner with Itto and Kuki Shinobu.

EDIT: Alas, beaten.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a shame that it's Itto+Kuki. I'd have been all over a Yelan/Kuki one but now I'm hesitant about both. I don't want Itto constellations, and don't need copies of the Yelan 4-stars.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I continue to be on the "hoard for Kazuha, until I have enough of a hoard that I could roll a 5-star and still have enough of a hoard to guarantee getting Kazuha" plan. This has been a much, much, insanely much longer plan than it was ever intended to be, but I am committed.

Surely, he will have another banner eventually. Surely.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I think you just like to say hoard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed Kuki is separate. Won't stop me rolling on Yelan, just means I need to throw some at the Itto banner and hope not to hit a 5* :P.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'll throw a couple towards Kuki in the hopes I get her, but still gonna save. I really don't have much interest in Yelan.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's no extended news on what 4*'s will be on the banners, is there? All I see is Kuki with Itto. Because if they put Gorou on that banner, I'd probably go hard all in. And then be "disappointed" that all I get is a C6 Kuki and C2 Itto or something. I just really want Gorou constellations dammit.

I thought about going for Yelan, but unless she turns out to be utterly amazing, I might just skip. Just looking at her playstyle, it looks weird and complicated. I got lucky with Ayato, I don't need another hydro.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Was pretty certain that they would split the two up so that isn't expressly disappointing for me so much as it's just frustrating. But I'll just do like Gorou and see if I get Kuki from a later roll. I'm not sure that she's going to be great after hearing the plans for her (HP and EM scaling? Naaaah.) even if another healer is always welcome. I'm going for Yelan because I skipped Ayato for her thinking there wouldn't be that much time between them and then after that, just saving up for the potential reruns in 2.8.

Honestly, 2.7 is just looking disappointing. It's obvious they're not shuffling anything around because of the delay, they're not worried about player retention from the dry spell and bleh compensation and they're just going full speed ahead like nothing ever happened without reading the room or the mood of the playerbase.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Last I checked the leaked 4*s for the first banners are Noelle, Barbara and Yanfei. Not very exciting for any veterans.

• Options
    I'm fine with more Noelle and Yanfei cons personally. Especially Noelle, for obvious reasons.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    imagine not having c9 noelle from hard pulling standard for amber*

*this does not work for getting amber

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Got The Unforged trying to get Mistsplitter for Keqing or Ayaka, but it's hardly a waste. It's giving me more damage, better defenses (20% extra shield vs. the negative of 10% extra incoming damage), and a better look on Eula compared to the Serpent Spine I've been using. And frees up said R5 Serpent Spine for Beidou, for whom it's almost BiS.

Still might get Mistsplitter, since that puts me at 2/2. Weapon Banner is still a scam though.

edit: Of course, my strongest team by far for literally anything remains mono-Geo Stonethresher Noelle and her barely-geared barely-leveled goons (Gorou, Albedo, Zhongli), which can't die and deals a shitload of damage to anything. Even gets through reaction-only chore bosses pretty quick.

Kamar on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tangentially related, but if anyone signed up for the Star Rail beta they sent out invites for the second beta this week

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    i only looked at the weapon event banner today and realised the sword was cool for my infusion traveller so i did a 10pull

5q91nmbk3q0l.png

hurrah

this means i have saved all my primos for important things (amber) because i got ayaka in a single 10-pull too lol

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    So, I'm not crazy thinking Celestia.jpeg is a lot bigger in the sky now than it used to be, right?

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    So, I'm not crazy thinking Celestia.jpeg is a lot bigger in the sky now than it used to be, right?

cross-promotion from my little pony we boutta get fluttershy on next banner

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

Hate to break it to you, but you're crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TG37v61t18

They've tweaked how it's displayed a bit, but it's not bigger.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    So, tangentially related, if I were trying to play Honkai now, as someone who has never played Honkai before, would I just log in with my Hoyoverse account? At least, I think that's what my Genshin account is now since when I go on any site with it and go to 'account' it takes me to a Hoyoverse account site instead of a Mihoyo one. (I think I had to link it up and switch it to Hoyoverse to get my PS4/5 information to be able to sync with PC and Mobile anyway? So I'm thinking that's what it is now.)

I only ask because when I went to log in with Hoyoverse, it brought up a pop up about how if you start without linking, you can't link anymore or something and I'm just assuming that's for people who have played Honkai with a Mihoyo account before Hoyoverse but I'm just trying to double check and make sure I don't mess anything up.

• Options
    Yeah you should log in with your existing Genshin/Hoyolab login info

That linking stuff is kind of leftover from when Honkai had its own separate account system

• Options
    So, the banners have been revealed and after a long content drought and unhappy players abound, HoyoVerse has decided to really reward us with some bangers to get everyone excited for the game again!

Just kidding, it's Barbara, Noelle and Yanfei on the Xiao and Yelan banners and the weapon banner features Yelan's bow, the Primordial Jade-Winged Spear, you know, the weapon that's already in the pool for when you lose your roll, and a combination of good weapons - Sacrificial Bow, Sacrificial Sword - and then the Lithic Spear, Eye of Perception and Favonius Greatsword.

Yep.

• Options
    Were people really that unhappy? I'm sure there are vocal people who were, but mostly people have just been fine.

And they know Yelan is going to bring the money. She's pure weaponized waifu bait.

• Options
    Barbara and noelle seem like a poor choice to me especially to have on both. But there are worse travesties.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Were people really that unhappy? I'm sure there are vocal people who were, but mostly people have just been fine.

The natives are always restless.

• Options

And they know Yelan is going to bring the money. She's pure weaponized waifu bait.

Oh absolutely there are plenty of very unhappy people with the game and it's been a very growing population for a while now. It honestly probably started around the Anniversary for obvious reasons and has only grown from there because the company hasn't changed course whatsoever from then and people have been realizing more and more that there is nothing to do in this game that routinely makes hundreds of millions of dollars. That got way more pronounced in the delay because the combination of no battle pass, no events and unknown timeframe for new things made everyone realize "Oh hey, this wouldn't be bad if there was actual repeatable content in the game" which has been something that has been yelled at HoyoVerse for...like a year now. A load of people have just quit entirely. Or if they haven't quit, they've decided to not spend anymore money on the game at least. Whether they hold to that, hard to tell but at least some of them will for sure.

And then you get things like the new "Twitch Recruitment Event" where they're giving Free Primogems for streaming the game! Except, all told, it's less than a ten-pull (and four acquaint fates) that you can get. If you stream for....over 24 hours over the course of 15 days, beat the Spiral Abyss with all stars, stream your daily commissions everyday and then find something else to do in the game for the rest of the 22 hours. And then, if past Twitch recruitment events are anything to go by, you still might not get any of that if HoyoVerse just decides to not give you the things you actually worked for. All just so they can try and push their viewer count back up since it's dropped dramatically in the last few months.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    In terms of endgame (which is to say, you've already pretty thoroughly explored the open world and built up your characters) there just is *no* content to be had. Spiral Abyss resets once every two weeks for a single login's worth of content and is typically only a slightly different experience from the last time it changed. So all you can really do is throw your resin into the artifact hunt, which is plagued by totally awful RNG systems that make it highly unlikely you ever get anything resembling improved gear out of it.

Genshin has been very frustrating in this regard, since when you want to play it early on it won't let you because of resin. And when you want to play it later, after months of investing into your account, you can't because there's simply nothing to do besides the highly repetitive (and honestly outright boring) daily commissions and normal resin dumps (which are also boring when you've done them thousands of times already). You can only yell about lack of meaningful repeatable content for so long in player surveys before you eventually give up and assume your cries are falling on deaf ears. Making so much money hand over fist tends to drown out critique, unfortunately.

From a personal perspective, I'm still keeping up with the game but I don't lose sleep over missing some days here and there. I want to play games for fun, and all too often now logging in to do the content Genshin offers just feels like a chore.

• Options
    Oh dang, spiral abyss is two weeks long?

Holy shit, Abyss finalizes twice a week in Honkai (along with Memorial Arena and Elysian Realm being weekly reset)

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I've been championing it for a while now, but they need to change the artifact game to a slow grind instead of pure rng. Once you take an artifact to level 20, you should be able to export one stat that you got a good roll on and import it into another artifact, and freely overwrite then with better imports.. That way you can consistently make incremental progress toward a character's artifacts instead of what we have now.

Artereis on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I've been championing it for a while now, but they need to change the artifact game to a slow grind instead of pure rng. Once you take an artifact to level 20, you should be able to export one stat that you got a good roll on and import it into another artifact, and freely overwrite then with better imports.. That way you can consistently make incremental progress toward a character's artifacts instead of what we have now.

There are a ton of small-to-medium QOL improvements they demonstrably could make, based on systems they've used for events. That for whatever reason the rule is that the majority of new content must sundown (see: Osial, the co-op design of Oceanid, Theater Mechanicus, Paper Dungeon, etc) is a real issue, let alone the lack of something you can work at in a meaningful way.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    50 pulls netted me a mona and a Xiao. Neither of which I had. That'll play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Picked up Yelan, though it took more rolls than I'd have liked. Still have plenty left over to pick up Kuki. Pulled enough Noelles to get her to c6 finally too, so I'll probably look at putting more investment into her because her scaling is stupid and I have plenty of materials laying around to bring that Whiteblind up to r5.

New quest is overdoing it with Itto being argumentative. Yes, writers, we get it, can we move on already?

• Options
    im not pulling those banners i have c20 noelle c6 barbara and i dont know what a yanfei is but it seems suspicious

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Yanfei is greatness but I already have all three at C6, plus Yelan is a baddie.

• Options
    i put 10 wishes onto each as is my tradition and got r7 sac sword c20 noelle and r6 bell so profit really

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    I saw on Reddit that they either toned down or removed the jiggle physics in Yelan. It would be nice if they updated the older models so it doesn't look like floppy water balloons - especially on the characters that are wearing armor.

• Options
    I mean I'd be happy with a few more female characters not wearing heels

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Diona has entered the chat.

• Options
    fnx5ezk4vj4x.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Diona has entered the chat.

Diona has great shoes because she's a cat and walks on her toes. And I'm ok with some characters like Yae Miko wearing heels because of course. But Jean?

• Options
    You call those heels?
    04zmgrwsoavd.jpg