As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Page overflow to new thread

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Unless I am missing something from the last time I did a lot of .NET work, you can't 'using System.Math' anyway, because Math is a static class in 'System' not a namespace of it's own.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Unless I am missing something from the last time I did a lot of .NET work, you can't 'using System.Math' anyway, because Math is a static class in 'System' not a namespace of it's own.

"using static" lets you use the static members of a class without specifying the class name.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    This is a feature that did not exist last time I used C#! The more you know.

According to Google searches it was added with C# 6, which is right around the time I was transitioning my career out of the .NET stack.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The c# compiler will still only pull in what functions & assemblies you're using in your code out of those namespaces you're pointing to and not the entire namespace, AFAIK. There's no reason to need to specify down that discretely.

It's not really about optimisation, it's that I don't like implicit stuff in my code, I like everything explicit. Where did WriteLine come from? From using System.Console.WriteLine. This tutorial I'm following had a bunch of variables show up unannounced, and it turned out they came from an import. I would have been much less confused if they were explicitly imported.

But if that's not the way C# works I guess I can get used to it.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't love it either because there's no overlap between the symbols on the using statement and the symbols used in the rest of the code.

If I'm reading the docu correctly you could probably not use static and then do Console.WriteLine but then people would be mad for it not being idiomatic.

I guess in the age of IDEs it doesn't matter as much.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've gotten so used to `import "github.com/foo/bar"` in Go and then referencing bar.DoStuff() all the time that not referencing stuff by package name prefix just feels weird to think about.

I think I always did Console.WriteLine back when I did C# for some reason? Guess I was never a fan of functions floating around all willy-nilly.

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to try my hand an indie gamedev as a hobby. After researching, I landed on C#/Unity as my platform of choice. The added bonus of learning C# (plus ASP.NET etc) being I could add it to my toolset for work as (hopefully) extra job security. I have one or two webapp ideas that my boss would find useful.

I started out learning C# at codecademy, but after a week it became a slog. So I jumped to trying audio/visual learning from Programming with Mosh on youtube. He held my attention longer, but after awhile it was hard to focus again. I saw someone on reddit mention Microsoft Learn as a good site, and I'm still sticking with it. Whoever wrote those lessons did a great job.

It's been interesting reading through old posts in this thread, and realizing that I'm starting to understand some of the stuff being said as time goes on.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Question for some of the folks here: How many hours a day do you spend in meetings? My project has ballooned to roughly 3 hours of meetings a day and I'm at this point where after the barrage of meetings my brain just kind of shuts down for an hour or so to recover so I get only a few hours of dev a day.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Question for some of the folks here: How many hours a day do you spend in meetings? My project has ballooned to roughly 3 hours of meetings a day and I'm at this point where after the barrage of meetings my brain just kind of shuts down for an hour or so to recover so I get only a few hours of dev a day.

That is too much. I was up to about that after almost a decade of work but those meetings spanned 4 projects and team leadership planning.

I changed companies a year ago and now average 3.5h of formal meetings weekly.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I have around 90 minutes in the mornings.

There are quite a bit more for leads (easily about 1 to 2 hours in addition to that) but people are fairly good at trimming out meetings that serve no purpose. It takes time for it, though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I have maybe 2 hours on a bad day, with only about 50% of those actually needing my attention. Sometimes just 10 minutes with my team.

A really bad day will be more and that average is probably going up a bit for the near future. My team is usually just the 10 minutes a day I spend with them.

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    On average, 30 minutes a day. That ranges from 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on the day, though.

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    A hour to hour and a half sprint meeting every two weeks, and then ~10 minute daily standups

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Anywhere from 0-9, depending on how enthusiastic various PM types are feeling that day, and whether or not anyone's playing "if there's more of my team in the meeting, that means we're more important!"

*9 is the record, and no I didn't. There's a point at which one learns the skill of "which meetings does one really really need to show up to, no really".

• Options
    bc0hbrqc6uzh.png

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

3 hours A DAY?! That's way too much, in my opinion. You're spending nearly half of every day in meetings...that means 3 hours of work not getting done each day. I have 3-4 hours A WEEK. If you're not saying anything or barely say anything, I think you should try to get out of them or change to an interrupt model, "if you need something from me, just let me know". People, usually managers, get obsessed with having to know everything going on, which is pretty much impossible.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    3 hours a day is pretty devastating if you're intended to be in a software development role as your primary function

I was doing 3-4 hours day as management with only minor development responsibilities and that was always a challenge back in the day

these days I have 1 hour a week, but on the rare occasion I get more than 1 hour a day, I get annoyed

• Options
    Mondays tend to be meeting-heavy for us. We focus our team meetings on Mondays, and tend to have sync meetings on cross-team projects (when we have those) on Mondays as well.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have the occasional day with 3-4 hours of meetings and I just don't do any dev work on those days. Dev requires a certain amount of ramp-up time before it really gets going so if I only have an hour between meetings, I'm just gonna look at PRs or something.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    eztwpyutjeaw.png

Keep in mind that this current calendar doesn't include any randomly spawned meetings that are bound to happen. Luckily it sounds like my client is out of the office on Friday so they killed all my Friday afternoon meetings.
    gvmpa6rhjgz0.png

That's what my Friday looked like... I hate it so much. The problem is that I'm the backend and they moved me and the other backend dev into separate Scrum teams, and these scrum teams are entirely front end based. So I'm basically along for the ride.

e: and they want me to do my AWS Developer certification training.

urahonky on
  • Options
    My team blocks out the first half of the day, plus two hours after lunch, for team-focused mob programming, Monday to Thursday. Helps a bit with getting invited for random meetings.

Oh, the random invites still happen, but a good chunk of them are actually outside of our mob blocks.

• Options
    So, wait, you're getting dragged into meetings for a team you're not directly part of?

I would just stop going to those.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    So, wait, you're getting dragged into meetings for a team you're not directly part of?

I think I participate in about 10% of the meetings. And most of them are the Scrum meetings so I have to go. On the off chance that they ask me a question... Which makes it worse because getting work done while people are talking AND you have to halfway listen for your name to come up lol.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

I think I participate in about 10% of the meetings. And most of them are the Scrum meetings so I have to go. On the off chance that they ask me a question... Which makes it worse because getting work done while people are talking AND you have to halfway listen for your name to come up lol.

If you're just there "in case", I would push back and say, "look, if you need me to answer some critical question, just let me know" or see if they can cobble together all the questions they had during the meeting and after the meeting have someone send it to you. At some point, in my opinion, you gotta push back or establish boundaries. Otherwise, people will just take take take. Like, you could say something like, if you want me in 3 hours of meetings, then the AWS certification is going to be pushed out a bit. You don't say "no", you make it a priority call.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options

one of these things is not like the others // one of these things just doesn't belong

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Standard scheduled meetings are 30 mins per project per week and then a 30 minute biweekly with my supervisor. I try to keep myself to 3 or less projects at any given time. That doesn't count whatever random popups I get with other team members but those are generally short and rather productive.

Probably end up with another 90ish minutes per month for random Org stuff and then usually have a day long once per quarter for each project I'm on.

• Options
    Nice. Just got another meeting invite for tomorrow.

10 to 12 and 330 to 5pm with the same group of people. Fuck. My. Life.

• Options
    See the problem is they put me on a team with the prime contractors. I'm the sub on the project so none of these people are part of my company.

It's just extra bad because on top of the normal scrum meetings I'm in they paired me up with an external 3rd party API company who just seem to love being in meetings for the whole day.

Half the meetings with them could be resolved in an email easily.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    We have a policy that if an agenda isn't posted inside the meeting invite you don't have to go to it.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    We have a policy that if an agenda isn't posted inside the meeting invite you don't have to go to it.

Yeah, I aggressively decline meetings that aren't clear about what they are.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    sviyxg8rx6gv.png

Late on this, but if you haven't figured it out yet...when you said "created in AWS" do you mean you're using the latest AWS-provided Ubuntu 22 AMI or you have some sort of custom image that you created or imported? If the latter case, you need to use whatever users were on the box if it didn't originate from an AWS image.

FWIW I just created an instance from the latest Ubuntu 22 AMI, downloaded the PPK, and it worked.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    sviyxg8rx6gv.png

Late on this, but if you haven't figured it out yet...when you said "created in AWS" do you mean you're using the latest AWS-provided Ubuntu 22 AMI or you have some sort of custom image that you created or imported? If the latter case, you need to use whatever users were on the box if it didn't originate from an AWS image.

FWIW I just created an instance from the latest Ubuntu 22 AMI, downloaded the PPK, and it worked.

Used the AMI that's up in AWS. Maybe I'll try again. There's been some weirdness lately.

• Options
    Nice. Just got another meeting invite for tomorrow.

10 to 12 and 330 to 5pm with the same group of people. Fuck. My. Life.

They moved the 330 to 5pm meeting to 12:30-2pm. So I'll be stuck in a meeting with these chucklefucks from 10-12 and then 12:30 - 2. I've asked them to submit a list of questions on what they want or need so I can start working on getting answers now. But I keep getting ghosted.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    This better be a firm fixed price contract and not an uncapped time and material.

At this point I would be escalating a concern up the management tree that they are running up the contract bill. I have feeling that somebody on your side needs step in and state that meetings occur on a set frequency and questions should be sent via email/issue tracker before escalation to a meeting.

Edit:
    You are the sub 😱. I would escalate it up still but with different wording that this level of meetings will negatively effect your deliverables.

Ethea on
  • Options
    Ethea wrote: »
    This better be a firm fixed price contract and not an uncapped time and material.

At this point I would be escalating a concern up the management tree that they are running up the contract bill. I have feeling that somebody on your side needs step in and state that meetings occur on a set frequency and questions should be sent via email/issue tracker before escalation to a meeting.

Edit:
    You are the sub 😱. I would escalate it up still but with different wording that this level of meetings will negatively effect your deliverables.

So the downside is that it's pretty much a maintenance contract. I'm just here to float around and help out where necessary. There's no real deliverables because I jump in whenever they need a backend developer and there's generally no timeframe given for my work.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    You're spending that much time in meetings on a maintenance contract???

I mean, I guess at that point if the customer is willing to spend $200/hour or whatever on time when you can work on other shit that's a win for your company.

admanb on
  • Options
    You're spending that much time in meetings on a maintenance contract???

I mean, I guess at that point if the customer is willing to spend $200/hour or whatever on time when you can work on other shit that's a win for your company.

Yup. They used to buy my contract like 3 months at a time but since our last deployment they went ahead and paid for a 12 month contract (so all of 2022) and have me floating around doing misc things.

• Options
    Yeeeeeah that's still ludicrous but makes a lot more sense from your employer's perspective. At that point I would just make sure that your PMs/managers know how much this is costing you in dev output and accept that your job right now is to listen to meetings as much as it is dev work.

If this is causing you to be late on deliverables for other projects it's not a meetings problem, it's a resourcing problem.

• Options
    Yeeeeeah that's still ludicrous but makes a lot more sense from your employer's perspective. At that point I would just make sure that your PMs/managers know how much this is costing you in dev output and accept that your job right now is to listen to meetings as much as it is dev work.

If this is causing you to be late on deliverables for other projects it's not a meetings problem, it's a resourcing problem.

Nah I'm just at this point where I'm almost dazed at the end of work because I just listen to SO MANY VOICES all day.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ok im no longer mystified. i think they're just trying to milk your billable rate to the customer by sandbagging you

This discussion has been closed.