As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

1107108109110111113»

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »

“It’s full of stars!” ✨

This mosaic represents a sparkling turning point as we #UnfoldTheUniverse. #NASAWebb’s mirrors are now fully aligned! Next is instrument calibration, the final phase before Webb is ready for science: https://go.nasa.gov/3OJWBD1

Big ol' image here.

"The optical performance of the telescope continues to be better than the engineering team’s most optimistic predictions."

A most excellent sentence!

Bouncing off the diffraction limit i.e. physics won’t let them get a better image without building a bigger scope.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    Ah, the Montgomery Scott school of engineering. <sage nod>

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Event Horizon is releasing their Sagittarius A* pictures today, everyone on science youtube is buzzing about it! Hell yeah!

bmc2xzeyn5p8.jpg

...you know what, Derek, fair play, I'd make the same joke.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    So at the center of the galaxy is a glazed donut.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    My copy/paste is giving me trouble on this tablet so I don’t have a link handy, but a Sydney research team seems like they’ve pretty much managed to confidently find a cause of SIDS, related in the brain’s ability to startle itself awake if breathing stops during sleep

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    My copy/paste is giving me trouble on this tablet so I don’t have a link handy, but a Sydney research team seems like they’ve pretty much managed to confidently find a cause of SIDS, related in the brain’s ability to startle itself awake if breathing stops during sleep

Yeah, it's an absolutely huge discovery if it's real.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

My wife told me about that. For since reason I thought she said the Mayo clinic was involved as well. They found a specific enzyme that was significantly lower in infants who died from SIDS compared to non SIDS deaths and healthy babies. A single test that could reveal a predisposition for SIDS would be so huge. Could save so many babies.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Would this have implications for sleep apnea?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Not likely, that is typically caused by physical obstruction of the airway leading to screwed up respiration, not a cessation of breathing.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Would this have implications for sleep apnea?

This sounds like it is just a possible solution to the failure to eventually resume breathing. Or at least a way to identify the possibility so additional preventative steps could be taken. Fixing sleep apnea is about preventing the stopped breathing in the first place. Sleep apnea can kill you from a heart attack, but not from just failing to start breathing again and suffocating.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Total lunar eclipse tonight if you're in the right areas that aren't cloudy.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The SIDS thing, if anyone's interested:

https://www.biospace.com/article/researchers-answer-how-and-why-infants-die-from-sids/
    The Sydney researchers were able to confirm this theory by analyzing dried blood samples taken from newborns who died from SIDS and other unknown causes. Each SIDS sample was then compared with blood taken from healthy babies. They found the activity of the enzyme butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) was significantly lower in babies who died of SIDS compared to living infants and other non-SIDS infant deaths. BChE plays a major role in the brain’s arousal pathway, explaining why SIDS typically occurs during sleep.

The story is particularly affecting as the lead researcher was motivated by the loss of her own infant to SIDS and not being able to have the cause explained.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-08/sydney-researchers-find-enzyme-marker-could-prevent-sids/101047156
    "My son, Damien, died suddenly and unexpectedly one night. It took me about two years before I could really take a breath again, and at that point, I thought I actually want to find out why he died.

"Nobody could tell me. They just said it's a tragedy. But it was a tragedy that didn't sit well with my scientific brain."
    "Babies have a very powerful mechanism to let us know when they are not happy," Lead researcher and Honorary Research Fellow Dr Carmel Harrington said.

"Usually, if a baby is confronted with a life-threatening situation, such as difficulty breathing during sleep because they're on their tummies, they will arouse and cry out.

"What this research shows is that some babies don't have this same robust arousal response.

"Now that we know that BChE is involved, we can begin to change the outcome for these babies and make SIDS a thing of the past."

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Didn't see another thread.

Starliner currently at the 10 meter hold.

https://youtu.be/21X5lGlDOfg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.