As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Just to defend Keystone and it's family.

There is nothing like an ice cold light ,<5% beer, after working on your house and or lawn all goddamn day

There are microbreweries that do light beers that taste way better than a macro. Don't even taste like a light beer at all. It's not super-common but I've had a couple that are incredible.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    If Stone started putting out a beer called "Key", and had cans that said "Key Stone" with very tiny "by" in-between, you know Coors would be suing.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think it is true that the way you have to phrase the claim of "consumer confusion" is silly, because no one who drinks Keystone or Stone is going to confuse the two, but I also think Coors was absolutely trying to allude to Stone and Stone was correct to sue.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I am in Miami on vacation and gat dang there are tropical fruit sours as far as the eye can see.

Which I love.

But after a day all that tart and sugar and lactose just sits in your stomach woof

Also I appreciate that it seems all breweries are required to serve food. Gimme them tacos and fried plantains and croquetas.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

There is nothing like an ice cold light ,<5% beer, after working on your house and or lawn all goddamn day

There are microbreweries that do light beers that taste way better than a macro. Don't even taste like a light beer at all. It's not super-common but I've had a couple that are incredible.

Oh I bet, but the local beer scene in my area is the usual hops arm race and how much candy can we add to a stout.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I might open this triple IPA from hoof hearted brewery tonight.

It's called stackin paper, apparently it's like 11%?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I had some of this at my last game night. 10% imperial IPA. It hit me like a truck but for all its IBU it wasn't too bitter.

jcl37s696uoi.png

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I like Ninkasi, though I do tend to stay away from 4-packs. But that art is 🔥!
    I'll keep an eye out for it!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You want a beer that will taste amazing after a day of yard work or during yard work?

Find yourself a good craft Mexican Lager

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    You want a beer that will taste amazing after a day of yard work or during yard work?

I've switched to sours for this mostly. Like Dogfishhead's Seaquench Ale Sour? God it is amazing after a day working outside. Fuck. I gotta get me some. Mexican Lager is a close 2nd though. New Belgium Dayblazer is pretty good too.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I've switched to sours for this mostly. Like Dogfishhead's Seaquench Ale Sour? God it is amazing after a day working outside. Fuck. I gotta get me some. Mexican Lager is a close 2nd though.

There are some great sours for that but you have to be careful. Mexican Lager will never do you wrong

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Seaquench is one of my favorites.

Its, like, the taste of a good beer with lime after a day at the beach.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Oh I bet, but the local beer scene in my area is the usual hops arm race and how much candy can we add to a stout.

If it makes you feel better, the problem isn't the brewers, it's the drinkers. Every brewer I know loves making delicately-balanced pilsners because it's harder to get right than big boozy stouts and double IPAs, and then nobody buys them. If you wanted to visit a local taphouse and talk about what you're looking for in a yard beer I bet you could make some fast friends.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I might open this triple IPA from hoof hearted brewery tonight.

It's called stackin paper, apparently it's like 11%?

I do not like it. Just a touch too bitter and it is hurting my stomach.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

If it makes you feel better, the problem isn't the brewers, it's the drinkers. Every brewer I know loves making delicately-balanced pilsners because it's harder to get right than big boozy stouts and double IPAs, and then nobody buys them. If you wanted to visit a local taphouse and talk about what you're looking for in a yard beer I bet you could make some fast friends.

You're probably right.

Some of this stuff is weirdly cyclical too. I've been in the craft beer scene for a decade and I've witnessed the explosion of barrel aged stuff quickly followed by the double IPA hop wars. Of course the older I get the more the ABV is my deciding factor.

Your IPA has notes of pineapple, hell yeah! 12% abv? Hell no.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Stone should use some of that 50+ mil to get the Enjoy By series back to early form.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Stone should use some of that 50+ mil to get the Enjoy By series back to early form.

Being that they owe investors like $400 million, might be earmarked for other things.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    xgeqo3hzihb0.png

Yes, yes - April 1 and all, but I fully expect somebody to try and do this before 2025.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Isn't hops very very closely related to cannabis anyway? Because you can certainly vape cannabis.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They're in the same family so reasonably close, although plants are already just weird like that e.g. you have tomatoes and INCREDIBLY toxic plants in the same family.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Recently, my keg of my Two-Hearted clone kicked much faster than I had anticipated. I didn't even have anything in the fermenter. To right that, I decided to do a very last minute brew day. One beer I've been thinking about for quite a while is from Indeed Brewing in MPLS which has this brew Flavorwave that I absolutely love, but I can only get it when I'm up visiting in-laws a couple times a year. It's essentially a hybrid IPA halfway between a hazy/NEIPA and a midwest IPA. So super tropical and juicy, but with a solid 70 IBU backbone. So I frankensteined a recipe, a 60 min Centennial boil for that bitter backbone, a lot of El Dorado and Mosaic in the hopstand, and in a week I'll do a large dry hop charge with Citra and CryoPop. My hydrometer sample tasted amazing, with a ton of pineapple and mango, a lot of bitterness, and just a hint of that dank Centennial pine. I'm really excited to see how this one turns out. I wasn't sure about the water chemistry, so I went with a softer than usual profile and more middle of the road so I can experiment on the pint level, and then determine whether I want to add more chlorides or sulfates and see which approach I like better.

Just following up, the beer turned out really awesome. Super tropical juicy Citra/Mosaic, with a strong bitter grapefruit backbone from the Centennial. Lighter moutfeel than a hazy, so much more drinkable, which can get cloying after a while. I think my only change next time is I may try adding some Azacca in to the dryhop to amp up a little more of the mango notes.

Next brew though I think will be a super-crispy Czech Pils so I can start lagering it for the summer.

• Options
    dzjrzjihcq9w.jpeg

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Happy Easter beer thread
    n1yqc6n5l31v.jpg
    1ohj68ilwzri.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Had an interesting beer weekend. Neither of these was as good as I wanted them to be but they were both interesting and the sparkly one sure was sparkly.

OGEYufMl.jpg

TAhV13Il.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Got bored this morning so
    bo8r3urg4gh0.jpg

Edit I was kinda worried I might have messed up but the airlock is already getting some positive pressure. I'm not used to the s shaped airlock though so I'm not sure how much it'll bubble compared to the 3 piece type I used last time. When I put it in the lid and pushed it down into place I got some suction through it so a tiny amount of the solution I filled it with got pulled in.

I also couldn't really get an accurate gravity reading on it because I forgot I don't have a thief or a test jar. So hopefully it's not too much honey.

When is done fermenting I think I'll move it to another container for clearing but I forgot to get potassium metabisulfite and only got sorbate. But I still need a case of bottles too and it'll be a month or two before I really need to do that anyway.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Quick update already

It's already bubbling like crazy less than 12 hours later. Kinda hoping the lid holds on under all the pressure since it's just a tapered grommet holding it in place.

Wasn't expecting the fermentation to be this vigorous so quickly.

• Options
    I'm already getting some sediment on the bottom of the fermenter. Which seems weird. I hope it's not starting to stall out for some reason it's only been a few days I don't think it's possible it's through all the sugar yet. I guess I'll see in a week or so if it keeps building up. I'll have to get a test jar and see how much sugar is left after that maybe.

• Options
    Found it kind of funny that I went to update my sig and then realized I just had WanderJack last night so I don't have to. Score!

Also: Helles/Bock is all over the place in Portland right now and I couldn't be happier.

• Options
    I'm already getting some sediment on the bottom of the fermenter. Which seems weird. I hope it's not starting to stall out for some reason it's only been a few days I don't think it's possible it's through all the sugar yet. I guess I'll see in a week or so if it keeps building up. I'll have to get a test jar and see how much sugar is left after that maybe.

That's just yeast flocculating, it's completely normal. It's also completely normal for the yeast to rip through 80% or more of the sugars in the first couple days. If you can't take gravity readings to determine terminal gravity, just let it go for two weeks, it will almost certainly be done by then. Since it looks like you don't have temperature control, the only issue you may have is some ester or phenol off flavors if it's too hot for the yeast strain you're using. Even then, it should still be drinkable.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Yep I've also posted about it a bit in the spirits thread when this thread fell off the first page for a while.

I am able to take gravity readings now in addition to brix on a refractometer though that's of limited use with only a estimate of my original gravity.

But it's looking like the yeast is pretty much done at this point. I was keeping the room in the low end of the yeasts temperature range (60 to 82 it says on the datasheet for d47) the whole time and when I tasted my only sample so far there wasn't much off flavors it was actually quite pleasant given how young it is.

Gonna give it a week more on the lees before I move it to the second container to clear the rest of the way though it has gotten much clearer over the past couple days.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I just won a free ticket to a screening of The Mummy at a local cidery.

So.

I got that going ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE RIVER

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Yep I've also posted about it a bit in the spirits thread when this thread fell off the first page for a while.

I am able to take gravity readings now in addition to brix on a refractometer though that's of limited use with only a estimate of my original gravity.

But it's looking like the yeast is pretty much done at this point. I was keeping the room in the low end of the yeasts temperature range (60 to 82 it says on the datasheet for d47) the whole time and when I tasted my only sample so far there wasn't much off flavors it was actually quite pleasant given how young it is.

Gonna give it a week more on the lees before I move it to the second container to clear the rest of the way though it has gotten much clearer over the past couple days.

One heads up on the refractometer is that your readings will only be accurate prior to fermentation since the presence of alcohol affects the refraction of light. They can be helpful to show when you've hit terminal gravity (the remain constant), but as far as your specific gravity, the alcohol will throw off the reading. However, if you start logging data points, you can get accurate readings by determining your wort correction factor. As an anecdote, once I logged a bunch of data points and figured out my refractometer's correction factor, it's dead on accurate with my hydrometer.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor/
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Yeah I was reading a lot about that the other day when I took my reading

It's really helpful to have considering it's a small batch and using the hydrometer takes like a few oz compared to mls.

Still gonna use the hydrometer before moving it off the lees though because I wanna be certain that it's not likely to pop any bottles.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    It was actually clear enough to bottle this morning so I went ahead and did so.

It was also totally dry which I don't mind since I enjoy a dry mead.

However since I didn't sleep good last night I now have a sink full of brewing junk that needs washed and no energy left to do so.

But there are 8 bottles of mead in the fridge now.

• Options
    It was actually clear enough to bottle this morning so I went ahead and did so.

It was also totally dry which I don't mind since I enjoy a dry mead.

However since I didn't sleep good last night I now have a sink full of brewing junk that needs washed and no energy left to do so.

But there are 8 bottles of mead in the fridge now.

That's what a PBW (or Oxyclean Free) soak is for. Just soak for a day then rinse!

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Relaxing at Shoes and Brews today, a brewery with a running store attached to it. The wife needed some new shoes and I figure shopping is always more fun with a pint in hand.

It's a cool place, they take it very seriously. They have you run on a treadmill to examine your gait and are really knowledgeable.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Had book club at a new bar this month. It was neat, we had a lovely time out on the patio. When we went to cash out, the owner of my local liquor store was there, and he greeted me by name and correctly guessed the beer I'd chosen.

And it's like, you do sometimes want to go where everyone knows your name, but you also don't want to explain to your book club that it's a three-person bottle shop and the owner has a freakishly good head for names and really likes to talk about beer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Going to my first brewfest in on over 3 years. Holy crap!

Too many beers I've already had. Trying to focus on new stuff.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    My usual Tuesday location turns ten today.

Yes, the list is insane. Yes, the weather is fantastic. Yes, I've got a ride home.