As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Trial and Error

1222325272845

Posts

  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Edit - After watching the reveal, it looks good. There's tons of characters in here and variants for each card, that it seems like a great way to make it accessible while also allowing for the collectable aspect of it. Gameplay looks interesting and sounds like it could be a good/quick game to play, but I'd need to see a full game footage or get my hands on it. I had a big smile seeing Ben excited again. I'd really like to see some unedited gameplay and I signed up for closed beta, because really it just comes down to how it plays and is it fun to play.

    Here's some unedited gameplay



    Its definitely a "mobile game". I'll probably play it at least for a bit (signed up for the beta), but the depth just isn't there, imo.

    Honestly it seems fine? Like, they could go for a hugely complicated game with tons of mechanics... but that doesn't seem to be their target. They're going for shorter 3-minute games, and it feels like there's the possibilities for enough interesting hero powers that it'd feel all right. Plus I'm actually kind of interested to see how the mind games about being able to ante up extra ranked LP points works to try to get your opponent to concede works in the wild.

    I assume it'll probably have a functional f2p economy, too, since it sounds like they're more interested in selling cosmetics than random packs.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    KoopahTroopahElvenshae
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Oh for sure it looks decent for a mobile game. I mean I'll definitely play it. But it's not gonna replace my HS or LoR time. At most it might finally supplant Clash Royale as my go-to quick game.

  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 19
    Yeah I think it looks strategic enough to have some interesting depth to it. Honestly it looks like Artifact at a much smaller scale. Maybe the three lane strategy will work better here than in Artifact because of how short the games are and how much easier it is to understand what is going on between cards. I'm excited to try it out.

    KoopahTroopah on
    Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah
    Switch: 1639-6388-9968- PSN: Koopah089
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    increasingly games advertise with how short their matches are, which rings less satisfying when you know it means "AFTER 50 MATCHES IN ONE HOUR YOU'LL EARN ENOUGH UPGRADE TOKENS TO GET ONE UPGRADE POINT FOR YOUR NEXT 50 MATCHES. THEN YOU'LL NEED 50 MORE TO

    liEt3nH.png
    ObiFettKoopahTroopahBeasteh
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The Marvel game looks cool, but mobile-only is not for me :(

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    The Marvel game looks cool, but mobile-only is not for me :(

    Its mobile and PC. 😁

    Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah
    Switch: 1639-6388-9968- PSN: Koopah089
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    It just looks like it's taking from maybe the worst part of mobile games in that it looks more like a slot machine that wants you to think it's a game

    PSN SeGaTai
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    It just looks like it's taking from maybe the worst part of mobile games in that it looks more like a slot machine that wants you to think it's a game

    so, Hearthstone?

    rahkeesh2000 on
    kimeKoopahTroopah
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    The Marvel game looks cool, but mobile-only is not for me :(

    Its mobile and PC. 😁

    PC is coming later. They stated they are working on it

    kimeKoopahTroopah
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    ramp druid is back with a vengeance on ladder
    Just ass-blasted an armored up Druid for 66 damage from an empty board with Galvangar Warrior on what might have been my last turn to survive. Felt great.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    School Teacher big winner of the patch imo. big room for 4 drops with drekthar nerf

    liEt3nH.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    First game after the patch I got 3rd with a Kalecgos build. No Naga in the top 4. The earth is healing.

    PoGo friend code: 7835 1672 4968
    Beasteh
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited May 20
    Naga can still crush but you need to really highroll

    e: lol I'm not sure how they managed this and it will get fixed very quickly (abuse at your own risk) but all packs are currently guaranteed to contain multistrike and dragonbane shot

    Beasteh on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    The Marvel game looks cool, but mobile-only is not for me :(

    Its mobile and PC. 😁

    PC is coming later. They stated they are working on it

    PC will be available right away, actually

    BlueStacks says hi

    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    Guys i'm working on a naga/colossal priest...

    It's looking pretty promising, gonna have to craft some good legendaries/epics to tune it further but dang it's fun.

    edit: forget the colossals...Naga's where's it's at.

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Guys this is it: You basically keep dropping and drawing nagas, pop off stormspike aid station and use the serpent wigs to outscale your opponent's board. Then save one to buff one of your sticky nagas into the 10+ dmg range.

    ### bullsh!tpriest
    # Class: Priest
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Hydra
    #
    # 2x (0) Illuminate
    # 2x (1) Call of the Grave
    # 1x (1) Gift of the Naaru
    # 2x (1) Holy Smite
    # 2x (1) Serpent Wig
    # 2x (1) Shard of the Naaru
    # 2x (1) Vicious Slitherspear
    # 2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
    # 2x (2) Bless
    # 2x (2) Murkwater Scribe
    # 2x (2) Queensguard
    # 2x (3) Crushclaw Enforcer
    # 2x (3) Handmaiden
    # 1x (3) Stormpike Aid Station
    # 2x (4) Baba Naga
    # 2x (4) School Teacher
    #
    AAECAafDAwKKowTztgQOhvcDh/cDhZ8EiaMElbAE7bEEhLIEiLIEorYEpLYEpbYEp7YElrcEssEEAA==
    #

    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    KoopahTroopahAlphagaiaThe JudgeObiFett
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Naga can still crush but you need to really highroll

    e: lol I'm not sure how they managed this and it will get fixed very quickly (abuse at your own risk) but all packs are currently guaranteed to contain multistrike and dragonbane shot

    It's not a bug. Since you get stuff that you're missing before you get duplicates, if the only rares you don't have are those then they're the only thing you can unpack.

    I remember back when they nerfed Raza and Patches in the same patch I did the same thing for legendaries from MSoG packs.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    Lol this deck is mega fun.


    Hearthstone-Screenshot-05-20-22-14-41-19.png
    Hearthstone-Screenshot-05-20-22-14-42-52.png

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    KoopahTroopah
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Naga can still crush but you need to really highroll

    e: lol I'm not sure how they managed this and it will get fixed very quickly (abuse at your own risk) but all packs are currently guaranteed to contain multistrike and dragonbane shot

    It's not a bug. Since you get stuff that you're missing before you get duplicates, if the only rares you don't have are those then they're the only thing you can unpack.

    I remember back when they nerfed Raza and Patches in the same patch I did the same thing for legendaries from MSoG packs.
    That's only supposed to apply to the first 2 of something you ever open (1 for legendaries). If you already unpacked 2+ Multi/DB Shots in the last month, you should only be able to get more with the same chance as everything else.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I haven't played very much but in the few games after the patch the meta feels quite good. There are multiple viable comps and multiple viable leveling strategies. Games feel different from one another due to the tribes present or missing.

    Overall tribe balance is still bad with mechs and demons on the bottom and dragons and pirates only slightly above them. Naga, quill, elemental, murloc and beast can still do winning comps. Poison scam also works somewhat but has better counterplay than before.

    PoGo friend code: 7835 1672 4968
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 21
    Lol just beat a control warrior with my nagapriest...Kazakus played and all. 20 minute match and i feel like a champ lol.

    This is the list i've settled on. Might still craft the 0 mana refresh legendary but not sure. Also sometimes i run out of spells. Besides that this seems pretty solid.

    ### bullsh!tpriest
    # Class: Priest
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Hydra
    #
    # 2x (1) Call of the Grave
    # 2x (1) Holy Smite
    # 2x (1) Serpent Wig
    # 1x (1) Shadow Word: Devour
    # 2x (1) Shard of the Naaru
    # 2x (1) Vicious Slitherspear
    # 2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
    # 2x (2) Bless
    # 2x (2) Murkwater Scribe
    # 2x (2) Queensguard
    # 2x (3) Crushclaw Enforcer
    # 2x (3) Stormpike Aid Station
    # 2x (3) Treasure Guard
    # 2x (4) Baba Naga
    # 2x (4) School Teacher
    # 1x (5) Queen Azshara
    #
    AAECAafDAwKEowTbuQQOhvcDh/cDhZ8EiaMElbAE7bEEhLIEiLIEpbYEp7YE87YEh7cElrcEssEEAA==
    #

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    emnmnmeObiFett
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    That's the first constructed deck I've seen that willingly uses Stormpike Aid Station.

    bwanieforty
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I've played against three Curse Warlocks in four games. People are scrambling to find a niche post-patch.

  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The numbers for it look pretty decent right now, low 50s winrate and 10-15% playrate. That probably settles to tier 2.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 21
    emnmnme wrote: »
    That's the first constructed deck I've seen that willingly uses Stormpike Aid Station.

    I know it seems super clunky but you have so much room to cast it and it can be easily an 15-20 health buff on your board. Forcing them to spend extra removal on individual minions and the ones that survive get extra buffed. It can snowball really hard in this setup.

    edit: 85% winrate so far. (70 now..at 30 games) The value potential of this deck is off the charts even if it doesn't look like it. Combined with the sick turn 4 lethals i am pretty stoked about this.

    Gonna see if i can push it to plat.

    edit: coin + queen guard with a serpent wig follow up is so crippling

    i mean just look at this mess at 3 mana:

    Hearthstone-Screenshot-05-21-22-22-58-50.png

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    ObiFettfortyElvenshae
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 22
    got it. On to legend

    ilep8yhwke3q.png

    Hearthstone-Screenshot-05-22-22-02-19-31.png


    Love climbing with a deck that's all mine.

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    ObiFettElvenshaeGrobianübergeekKoopahTroopahDibby
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    i've seen a few people talk about stormpike aid station and the consensus is usually that it's the worst card in the deck but it's quite hard to find something better in the current card pool

    liEt3nH.png
    bwanie
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    i've seen a few people talk about stormpike aid station and the consensus is usually that it's the worst card in the deck but it's quite hard to find something better in the current card pool

    The priest spell pool is so bad atm. But, i gotta say serpent wig is almost making up for what we lost. I play 10 of them in a game easy

    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    i gotta say serpent wig is almost making up for what we lost. I play 10 of them in a game easy

    What bwanie's board looks like most games.
    hqdefault.jpg

    ObiFettforty
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 22
    nuh-uh

    (it's either huge or gone)

    But i gotta say plat is kicking my ass. People are playing brann + mutanus and it's killing me.

    edit: still at a 63% winrate so whatever i guess.

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    nuh-uh

    (it's either huge or gone)

    But i gotta say plat is kicking my ass. People are playing brann + mutanus and it's killing me.

    edit: still at a 63% winrate so whatever i guess.

    I played one Warrior that
    Turn 2 - Coin From The Depths
    Turn 3 - 0 Cost From the Depths, Sir Finley, Brann, Mutanas

    I was so salty after that game

    bwaniefortykime
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Speaking of Mutbrannus, I just played a round of big spell mage against Questline priest, which I figure is not favorable for me since mage doesn't really win quickly. Thankfully they completed the quest after my 10 mana turn and Brann + Mutanus ate both their Mutanus and quest reward Xyrella. They conceded right after.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Naga can still crush but you need to really highroll

    e: lol I'm not sure how they managed this and it will get fixed very quickly (abuse at your own risk) but all packs are currently guaranteed to contain multistrike and dragonbane shot

    It's not a bug. Since you get stuff that you're missing before you get duplicates, if the only rares you don't have are those then they're the only thing you can unpack.

    I remember back when they nerfed Raza and Patches in the same patch I did the same thing for legendaries from MSoG packs.
    That's only supposed to apply to the first 2 of something you ever open (1 for legendaries). If you already unpacked 2+ Multi/DB Shots in the last month, you should only be able to get more with the same chance as everything else.
    I went ahead and tried this for myself. My first two Naz packs each gave me a Multi strike. I disenchanted those. I opened one more pack and it just had some random rare. So I bought two more Alterac packs for 2 dragonbane shots.

    I'm guessing their mechanism for tracking which cards you already got from packs must have gotten reset somehow, at least for those rares anyway.

    Oh well, spent 500 gold and got 400+ dust along with a Spitelash Siren, so that's much better than average pack value.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    This patch was a big improvement for Standard but I'm not a fan of where Wild is without Drek'Thar. He was a key component in a lot of the more interesting decks like Quest Shaman or Inner Fire Priest but without him around we're all just jamming Pirate Rogue mirrors. D7 to legend today and 38% of my opponents were also Rogues.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    emnmnme
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    jebhcjl1t1zs.png

    One of the better top2 tech plays I made in my BG time. My opponent was poison scam (including a reborn amalgadon to re-poison) and had 2 leeroys. Both of them attacked into my 2/3 and I killed him from 19 health.

    PoGo friend code: 7835 1672 4968
    Dibby
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    Bullsh!tpriest is still chugging along, i needed to adapt a bit into a more combo oriented playstyle by abusing station buffed minions + serpent combos and bless.

    Most games are won by 15+ dmg to face kills now. Also getting real good at extracting value from the discover deathrattle effect card.
    Swapped out the steal 1 life spell for the discover a spell card. Getting shard of Naaru at clutch times is key to surviving some matchups.

    One of the funnest decks i ever made. And i will get legend with it.

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    ObiFett
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Thief rogue being good again is really nice, I've missed it

    Alphagaia
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    the meta is like really healthy atm

    props to t5 for the nerfs...they actually got it right i think.

    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I'm seeing enough paladin that I generally want to run viper as insurance

    forty
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And I'm out. Enjoy the expansion!
    PMAvers wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Edit - After watching the reveal, it looks good. There's tons of characters in here and variants for each card, that it seems like a great way to make it accessible while also allowing for the collectable aspect of it. Gameplay looks interesting and sounds like it could be a good/quick game to play, but I'd need to see a full game footage or get my hands on it. I had a big smile seeing Ben excited again. I'd really like to see some unedited gameplay and I signed up for closed beta, because really it just comes down to how it plays and is it fun to play.

    Here's some unedited gameplay



    Its definitely a "mobile game". I'll probably play it at least for a bit (signed up for the beta), but the depth just isn't there, imo.

    Honestly it seems fine? Like, they could go for a hugely complicated game with tons of mechanics... but that doesn't seem to be their target. They're going for shorter 3-minute games, and it feels like there's the possibilities for enough interesting hero powers that it'd feel all right. Plus I'm actually kind of interested to see how the mind games about being able to ante up extra ranked LP points works to try to get your opponent to concede works in the wild.

    I assume it'll probably have a functional f2p economy, too, since it sounds like they're more interested in selling cosmetics than random packs.

    Hey all. I made a thread for Marvel Snap if anyone wants to come by and chat about it. Looks pretty cool and some early access streamers (Disguised Toast, Trump, etc) are saying the game's got some depth and legs.

    Anyways, hope you're all still enjoying HS. Later!

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    KoopahTroopah
Sign In or Register to comment.