As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder: Wait until all results are in and the counting is done before declaring victory or thinking everything has been lost.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Out of curiosity, do Greens and Labor generally prefer each other?

Fencingsax wrote: »

IIRC Labor actually doesn’t always preference greens and this did cause a stink a while back. I don’t know what the deal with this election in particular will be.

• VikingViking Registered User regular

not sure if its so much preference each other, as a "anyone is better than the libs" for both
    greens website suggests you put greens 1, then whoever else you want next. then finally to make sure to put labor above liberals.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

not sure if its so much preference each other, as a "anyone is better than the libs" for both
    greens website suggests you put greens 1, then whoever else you want next. then finally to make sure to put labor above liberals.

I would have figured it was something to this effect, but I don't take anything for granted anymore

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Dutton's back in the lead, fuck.

There’s not enough votes counted to call anything yet.

It is currently looking like transphobic neo-NAZI Deves has comprehensively lost. If Liberals do lose the election, they’re probably going to have some internal blood letting and I imagine they’ll start with Morrison.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Though yeah if Dutton does go there’s going to be some cheering.

-Loki- on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It is currently looking like transphobic neo-NAZI Deves has comprehensively lost. If Liberals do lose the election, they’re probably going to have some internal blood letting and I imagine they’ll start with Morrison.

She never had a chance in that seat. She was purely there to drive a media culture war, thank fucking Christ that shit never caught on here.

edited May 2022
    Aegeri wrote: »

She never had a chance in that seat. She was purely there to drive a media culture war, thank fucking Christ that shit never caught on here.

Oh absolutely, but it also gives Morrisons opponents within his party ammunition about his poor judgement. They can paper over their fuck ups with easy excuses like this.

Edit: Looks like a bunch of moderate liberals in other seats in Sydney are losing, with the Liberal commenter I saw blaming Deves candidacy for a general lash back against them.

Seems Sharna, as an example, is going to get the boot to a real due to lash back against the party over Deves in nearby seats.

Get wrecked bigots.

Aegeri on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Dutton's back in the lead, fuck.

Was gonna say, I just logged on and couldn't quite believe this.

Looks like a pretty strong showing for the Greens. Apparently too early to call on the coverage I'm seeing: a strong swing towards independent candidates and small parties means the outcome might be cloudy for a while. Definitely a big swing against the Libs, but remains to be seen if Labor will get enough to get a majority.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    edited May 2022
    I wouldn’t mind a Labor government that had a party actually interested in doing something like the Greens that they have to work with. I would say the liberals are unlikely to be able to form any coherent government so far.

Preferences could make a huge mess of these predictions tomorrow of course.

Aegeri on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    An outcome like 30% labor, 20% greens, 20% liberals, and then the remaining 30% divided amongst other independents would be a dream come true.

I've argued a few times that the Labor-Green minority government was one of the best governments Australia's ever had.

A shame that their work was undone so quickly by a populace more interested in tax cuts.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I actually think it should be illegal for any party to have more than 1/3rd of the seats. :)

No I do not care what this means, let em fight it out.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I can already tell the LNP opposition and the media's going to be harping on about Labor's primary vote for the next few years.

edited May 2022
    ABC's called it, Labor have government. Majority or minority government unknown, likely for a while.

I think I'm gonna grab that sambulca to ease some nerves.

Suriko on
    Unfortunately it looks like spudhead is holding on to Dickson.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Unfortunately it looks like spudhead is holding on to Dickson.

God damnit.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So broadly it appears huge gains for the Greens and independents in certain seats. That's translated into preferences carrying Labor candidates into taking Liberal party seats, and in other cases Greens taking Labor seats and Independents past Liberal candidates.

Looks like at least one Green will join Adam Bandt, along with a host of independents. Frydenberg is out, Dutton may join him.

The Coalition will not have enough seats to negotiate to form minority government, it is still to be seen if Labor will be able to reach 76 seats (unlikely) or be forced to form minority government with the balance of power held by the Greens and Independents.

The LNP taking an absolute beating in WA again.

Kelor on
    Simon Birmingham is already ripping into Morrison over putting Deves in Warringah, suggesting it had an effect on the LNP as a whole.

Sickos.jpg

Frydenberg all but conceding, and just rattling off numbers to the crowd while claiming it's not about the numbers.

I have some concerns about what monstrosity will become of the LNP going forwards. The moderate wing of the party got whacked tonight.

Frydenberg gave a specific shoutout to "Awesome CEO" Karen Hayes. Yes, that CEO. The one from Guide Dogs Australia who got sacked for using charity material to endorse him, while unauthorised to do so. What a weirdo.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Its starting to look like an incredible swing towards independents, which is frankly fantastic. In a perfect world, every politician would be independent and vote for what they actually believe in rather than along party lines. What's even better is that a lot of these independents who are picking up seats are ones which were backed by Climate 200, a crowd-funded initiative to promote climate-friendly independent candidates. Which is where the term "teal independent" that's suddenly become very popular tonight has come from, teal being Climate 200's colours.

Well at the very least Morrison has to eat shit and is no longer Prime Minister of Australia.

Jesus christ ABC at least give me a warning before throwing Dutton's bowling ball face on the screen.

It's just so bland and featureless. Like a statue worn away by the elements over centuries.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Simon Birmingham is already ripping into Morrison over putting Deves in Warringah, suggesting it had an effect on the LNP as a whole.

Sickos.jpg

Yeah, for me, this is the highlight of the night. It looks like it's not just a defeat, but a complete repudiation of that kind of thinking. To hell with those bigots.

It's not going to stop them from thinking it (because they're still bigots), but it'll stick a knife in campaigning on it, and make them second guess any legislation in that regards. This was a significant win for trans rights/equality in our country.

While Suriko is correct that the moderates got whacked, the hopeful takeaway isn't that they got whacked for being too moderate, but because that's how things go. Moderates are in marginal seats, because moderates win there. Hardliners usually only get elected to safe seats. They start going hardline conservative as their core philosophy, there's a chance it might permanently shift the narrative, but there's also a chance they might end up a permanent minority party.

MorganV on
    Get rekt ScoMo, it wasn't soon enough.

Now we need hold Labor's feet to the fire for Federal ICAC, which if they know what's good for them they'll do.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I have some concerns about what monstrosity will become of the LNP going forwards. The moderate wing of the party got whacked tonight.

Frydenberg gave a specific shoutout to "Awesome CEO" Karen Hayes. Yes, that CEO. The one from Guide Dogs Australia who got sacked for using charity material to endorse him, while unauthorised to do so. What a weirdo.

angling for a lobbyist job with a CEO currently stood down without a job is wild

edited May 2022
    Kelor wrote: »
    Jesus christ ABC at least give me a warning before throwing Dutton's bowling ball face on the screen.

It's just so bland and featureless. Like a statue worn away by the elements over centuries.

Someone on these forums once referred to him as a thumb (also a potato), and that's how I've referred to him ever since when talking about him. Thumb Dutton. I honestly have trouble remembering what his first name is. Without checking... Peter? I think? Or am I just thinking Peet-ator?

Thumb Dutton it is.

MorganV on
    potato voldemort is my preference

MorganV wrote: »

Sickos.jpg

Yeah, for me, this is the highlight of the night. It looks like it's not just a defeat, but a complete repudiation of that kind of thinking. To hell with those bigots.

It's not going to stop them from thinking it (because they're still bigots), but it'll stick a knife in campaigning on it, and make them second guess any legislation in that regards. This was a significant win for trans rights/equality in our country.

While Suriko is correct that the moderates got whacked, the hopeful takeaway isn't that they got whacked for being too moderate, but because that's how things go. Moderates are in marginal seats, because moderates win there. Hardliners usually only get elected to safe seats. They start going hardline conservative as their core philosophy, there's a chance it might permanently shift the narrative, but there's also a chance they might end up a permanent minority party.

That would require any ability of self-reflection at all.

Looks like Barnaby is unhappy with Independents.

https://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/federal-election-barnaby-joyce-slams-teal-independents-calls-them-selfish/news-story/9ab7139297e4851b50e5624dfe883349
    Speaking to the ABC’s election night panel shortly after polls closed, Mr Joyce said he was “angry” about their campaign against the government.

“If you believe independents are the way to go – I’m so angry with this. Because it’s self-indulgent and selfish,” Mr Joyce vented.

“If you believe independents are the way to go, let’s have 151 of them (there are 151 seats in the parliament). Let’s have total chaos in our nation’s parliament. And we all know we would be a laughing stock.

“So it’s almost a sense of, if you vote Labor you’ll vote and stick there, and we know you will because of party discipline. If you vote Nationals or Liberals you’ll vote and stick there. And then, ‘We have a right in the middle to go whichever way we want whenever we like.’ That is just so, so selfish.”

Fuck off, beetrooter.

While I think parties are an eventual evil of politics, the reason they come about is because the mainstream parties aren't catering to the needs of the electorate. If Labor or LNP offered the voters a reasonable option, then they'd be getting these votes.

That LNP have been fucking disasterous on climate, and that Labor have been gunshy, means that people went elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the teal politicians consider the option for forming a party.

I mean, I bet Joyce isn't pissed at Katter winning his seat. So what, you name what is essentially an independent campaign, that's fine by you? Or is it that he's essentially a banked conservative vote, and you're cool with that. Fucking hypocrite.

One thing I didn't see reported...

Looks like Craig Hughes (Palmer candidate) is out. FUCK RIGHT OFF, CLIVE! It looks like it's going LNP, but that's preferable over that asshole having any power in the House. I mean, it wasn't necessarily about that, and more funnelling votes to LNP, but that hasn't worked out either. Hope the Teals wreck your life.

Looks like Pauline picked up another seat in the Senate, soulless creature that she is.

In fact screw it, I'm drafting up a paper letter right now to send to Albo which is going to just be demanding Federal ICAC as a first priority as soon as letters to the PM are going to his office.

I encourage everyone else to do the same.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    In fact screw it, I'm drafting up a paper letter right now to send to Albo which is going to just be demanding Federal ICAC as a first priority as soon as letters to the PM are going to his office.

Well, he just called that out specifically as something he'd do in his acceptance speech, here's hoping he can live up to even half of the things that he's promising, because some of it sounds too good to be true quite frankly!

Mr Ray wrote: »

Well, he just called that out specifically as something he'd do in his acceptance speech, here's hoping he can live up to even half of the things that he's promising, because some of it sounds too good to be true quite frankly!

Hence the motivation.

Listening to his speech, someone paid attention to the rise of the teals.

And easily sees that coming for him in future.

Any chance you could post the relevant deets (body of text, appropriate address) here, or via PM if that's preferred?

I'll print one out and mail it off (two, because I'll send a modified copy to my federal member too).

I'm just shite at the composition part of it, and wouldn't know where to send it for Albo. "Albo, The Lodge, Canberra" probably wouldn't get where it's supposed to.

The local one, I can hand deliver to their office, figure that'd have a bigger impact.

It is fascinating to see how many independents are women and that knocked out various flavours of “white liberal dude”. Be interested to see gender based voting breakdowns in all those seats.