As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil Dead: The [chat]

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    the first time i squatted in my life i was like ok that was fine i guess. i didn't go too heavy, just did a bunch of reps with the bar. but that never felt too 'hard'

then i left the gym and my legs completely liquified at the first step so i fell down the stairs

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I have always hated doing squats. Could leg press insane amounts of weight but the squat motion never felt right.

A few years back I did a strong lifts program to see if I could finally do them and worked through 12 weeks up to around 200 lbs squats and my knee has never been the same since.

Fuck squats.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I like squats but I need a tyrannus personal trainer to keep.me from burning out

Make me go to bed coach

Send me home from work coach

Tumin on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    If God wanted us to do squats he would have given us robo knees.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    i like squats. deadlfits are good but they're scary. bench is awesome. I used to really not like it but it's pretty great

tyrannus on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    if you're in actual pain from squats, you need to talk to someone about your form

what you can lift and what you should lift are two different things, you can absolutely power through bad form until you can't

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    An item I listed has sold on eBay. I am giddy with the thought of turning something previously sitting in an airtight tupperware box for forty years being turned into 30 quid. And the other items in that tupperware box are on course to make it about 200 quid by the time I go to bed.

God bless nerds who want old toys. Beautiful people.

tyrannus wrote: »
    i like squats. deadlfits are good but they're scary. bench is awesome. I used to really not like it but it's pretty great

Are you doing the hex bar deadlifts or something? They bar position issues seem less fraught, I dont have access to one anymore

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    if you're in actual pain from squats, you need to talk to someone about your form

what you can lift and what you should lift are two different things, you can absolutely power through bad form until you can't

Proper squat form is quite hard to do ime

Maybe my body is unusual but i need to be careful every time or risk damage to my knees

sig.gif
    Tumin wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »

Are you doing the hex bar deadlifts or something? They bar position issues seem less fraught, I dont have access to one anymore

I'd be less scared with hex bar deadlifts

I've been weening myself off some of the tools like belts and grip assists and stuff so I'm usually just very very tight in the core area

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Maybe my body is unusual but i need to be careful every time or risk damage to my knees

That seems generally true of all weightlifting. It's all very "Do it this way or you are just fucking up your joints".

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Expert instruction: it's good for you, especially for not fucking yourself up because you're lifting too heavy a weight with shit form.

shryke wrote: »

That seems generally true of all weightlifting. It's all very "Do it this way or you are just fucking up your joints".

so do it that way

i haven't lifted weights in a v long time and i do want to be more muscular so i guess i should but

i have been going really hard on self improvement/enrichment stuff lately. there's only so much i can juggle before i run out of- whatever intangible mental resources and time management

therapy is nonnegotiable so perhaps pull back on the instrument playing a little to make more gym time??

shryke wrote: »

And there are four contradictory schools of 'this way' in a lot of cases.
    Bogart wrote: »
    An item I listed has sold on eBay. I am giddy with the thought of turning something previously sitting in an airtight tupperware box for forty years being turned into 30 quid. And the other items in that tupperware box are on course to make it about 200 quid by the time I go to bed.

God bless nerds who want old toys. Beautiful people.

I sold all my old Sega Genesis / CD stuff a while back and made like...$2k or so off it on ebay. It was wonderful and I was so glad I took a box of crap from my basement and made people happy and got a good chunk of change for it.

About as win / win as you ever get in life.

Organichu wrote: »
    i haven't lifted weights in a v long time and i do want to be more muscular so i guess i should but

i have been going really hard on self improvement/enrichment stuff lately. there's only so much i can juggle before i run out of- whatever intangible mental resources and time management

therapy is nonnegotiable so perhaps pull back on the instrument playing a little to make more gym time??

Just fit in X minutes of walking a day for now. An hour or two of walking gives you most of the benefits of exercise without being overwhelming.

If you can get a walking desk that's good too and dont downplay the fitness value of 8-10k steps a day.

zagdrob wrote: »

Just fit in X minutes of walking a day for now. An hour or two of walking gives you most of the benefits of exercise without being overwhelming.

If you can get a walking desk that's good too and dont downplay the fitness value of 8-10k steps a day.

oh i already walk at least 10k steps almost every day

i'm talking about weights to get the muskels

A mace seems like the fast path to a beachbod and you can pick up the hotties in your local park

Well

Maybe a more European local park

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If someone is a 'practiced fighter', just that mean they've done a lot of bag punching but not a lot of actual fighting? What is the difference between a practiced fighter and a fighter?

zagdrob wrote: »

oh i already walk at least 10k steps almost every day

i'm talking about weights to get the muskels

starting strength 5x5 is the gold standard for beginners weightlifting

you can do a session in 45 mins

i didn't like starting strength because of how much it had you deadlifting and squatting vs benching. not volume wise, ratio wise

i was happy to switch it up to something where I got higher volume across the body

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If someone is a 'practiced fighter', just that mean they've done a lot of bag punching but not a lot of actual fighting? What is the difference between a practiced fighter and a fighter?

Time served?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article261683982.html

Muscular deception!
    Vanity prevented a Port St. Lucie man from getting away with getting $245,286 in Veterans Administration disability benefits by claiming, among other things, combat experience and arm and leg weakness that prevented him from lifting weights since 2010. While pulling this scam, bodybuilder Zachary Barton and his wife were posting pictures and videos online of Barton pushing heavy iron to build his physique and flexing in the gym and on stage in contests.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Maybe just don't worry about muscles until you have time and energy

Therapy plus 10,000 steps plus music seems like a lot. How much are you cooking at home?

sig.gif
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

It's just an adjective. I don't think it has any inherent implications aside from maybe a little bit more experience and expertise.

Like if someone was described as a "practiced fucksmith" that would suggest that they have a level of expertise and experience higher than that of the common fucksmith.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

It's just an adjective. I don't think it has any inherent implications aside from maybe a little bit more experience and expertise.

Like if someone was described as a "practiced fucksmith" that would suggest that they have a level of expertise and experience higher than that of the common fucksmith.

First you start at apprentice fucksmith, then you move up to journeyman fucksmith.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Maybe just don't worry about muscles until you have time and energy

Therapy plus 10,000 steps plus music seems like a lot. How much are you cooking at home?

Unless someone treats me to a restaurant I am doing all my food at home 🤓

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    8ynzxew81k0o.png

She's found a new spot.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

First you start at apprentice fucksmith, then you move up to journeyman fucksmith.

Well yeah but once you reach journeyman level they expect you to pick a specialty, like pipefucker or fuckmachinist or fillwright.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Can they actually consider Covid deaths to be in the line

Retail clerks spend more time in close proximity to others

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Can they actually consider Covid deaths to be in the line

Retail clerks spend more time in close proximity to others

well, they did

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I swear, no matter how much I stretch my leg never feels any looser. It always feels exactly as tight as before. I sometimes joke that my muscles are mineralizing as I turn into a fossil.

Got my run in though.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    21st I love how happy you are since getting Sprite

having something around to love unconditionally is legit transformative

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    credeiki wrote: »

I’m willing to be someone’s object of unconditional love

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    This bartender is carding most people

But not me

Obviously this means they understand I’m special

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

I’m willing to be someone’s object of unconditional love

have you considered forming a homunculus? I hear those are pretty loving.

This discussion has been closed.