As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The independents kicking the shit out of the "moderate" Libs isn't really a mystery. The Libs talked a big game about being "moderate" but they're voting record showed them to just be Barnaby or Matt Canavan. It's the reason Dave Sharma tried to get the website that shows MP voting records shut down, because it exposed all the "moderate" Liberals to be complete frauds. The independents stepped into those seats so easily because they were actually being what those Libs pretended to be.

Honestly, apart from having a Labor government, the highlight of the election is seeing all those entitled born-to-lead Liberals being turfed out on their smug faces, Sharma, Zimmerman, Falinsky, Frydenberg and best of all Tim Wilson: King of Smug Gits. Schadenfreude city.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Should this be called the green election? Not only referring to the Green Party, but to the general shift away from both Liberal and Labor towards people that think climate change is actually a thing.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Looks like Barnaby is unhappy with Independents.

https://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/federal-election-barnaby-joyce-slams-teal-independents-calls-them-selfish/news-story/9ab7139297e4851b50e5624dfe883349
    Speaking to the ABC’s election night panel shortly after polls closed, Mr Joyce said he was “angry” about their campaign against the government.

“If you believe independents are the way to go – I’m so angry with this. Because it’s self-indulgent and selfish,” Mr Joyce vented.

“If you believe independents are the way to go, let’s have 151 of them (there are 151 seats in the parliament). Let’s have total chaos in our nation’s parliament. And we all know we would be a laughing stock.

“So it’s almost a sense of, if you vote Labor you’ll vote and stick there, and we know you will because of party discipline. If you vote Nationals or Liberals you’ll vote and stick there. And then, ‘We have a right in the middle to go whichever way we want whenever we like.’ That is just so, so selfish.”

Fuck off, beetrooter.

While I think parties are an eventual evil of politics, the reason they come about is because the mainstream parties aren't catering to the needs of the electorate. If Labor or LNP offered the voters a reasonable option, then they'd be getting these votes.

That LNP have been fucking disasterous on climate, and that Labor have been gunshy, means that people went elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the teal politicians consider the option for forming a party.

I mean, I bet Joyce isn't pissed at Katter winning his seat. So what, you name what is essentially an independent campaign, that's fine by you? Or is it that he's essentially a banked conservative vote, and you're cool with that. Fucking hypocrite.

One thing I didn't see reported...

Looks like Craig Hughes (Palmer candidate) is out. FUCK RIGHT OFF, CLIVE! It looks like it's going LNP, but that's preferable over that asshole having any power in the House. I mean, it wasn't necessarily about that, and more funnelling votes to LNP, but that hasn't worked out either. Hope the Teals wreck your life.

Looks like Pauline picked up another seat in the Senate, soulless creature that she is.

Given Joyce’s record, you would think he could appreciate that kind of infidelity.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    wow HUGE win for independents and greens, rebuke of both major parties.
    my very safe lib QLD seat had a significant swing towards greens/Ind, and while they didn't win (was never going to happen) I hope it made the majors take notice they are on borrowed time.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just saw the news that Keneally got the arse, out of a safe Labor seat.

Looks like the arguments against her (her not being from the area, rammed in by ALP selection, over an actual resident) bore out, and she was beaten by a local Independent.

Her replacement Dai Le ran as a Liberal when she started, but became an Independent a decade ago. So it's hard to be sure what her positions in parliament will be. Her campaign website is the generic "I will do stuff for the community", but doesn't go into anything but the broadest philosophy.

Gotta stop taking people for granted, ALP. You might get away with it for a bit, but they'll resent it, and when they see a chance to screw you back, they'll take it, and be right to do so.

Craig Kelly (UAP) lost his seat, its like christmas all over again

steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Keneally is legitimately awful, absolutely gross xenophobe, so I hope this sends a signal to the Labor right.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    3p7zr0901pj1.png

lol

From the guardian feed.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Other very funny Liberal failures: Melbourne.

The Libs expected a "Dan Andrews effect" in Victoria, some backlash against Labor for lockdowns. Forgetting that the lockdowns were caused by Morrison government failures and they spent the past 2 years attacking Victoria as a state rather than the state government.

Fucking whoops.
    drucl8iirg4j.jpg

edited May 2022
    3p7zr0901pj1.png

lol

From the guardian feed.

In an election that saw Greens market share grow by a significant margin and climate change was a key break point for many people, I am not sure that "we should really fuck the environment even harder" is a winning proposition.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Dh4pfWR.png
    jagb5Xk.png

https://greens.org.au/policies/sexual-orientation-gender-identity-and-intersex
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Other very funny Liberal failures: Melbourne.

The Libs expected a "Dan Andrews effect" in Victoria, some backlash against Labor for lockdowns. Forgetting that the lockdowns were caused by Morrison government failures and they spent the past 2 years attacking Victoria as a state rather than the state government.

Fucking whoops.
    drucl8iirg4j.jpg

They also forgot that despite their propaganda, people in Melbourne actually like Dan Andrews, and largely saw the lockdowns as necessary to flatten the curve and prevent people from dying until vaccines arrived.

broken image link
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Viking wrote: »
    3p7zr0901pj1.png

lol

From the guardian feed.

In an election that saw Greens market share grow by a significant margin and climate change was a key break point for many people, I am not sure that "we should really fuck the environment even harder" is a winning proposition.

I'm laughing becauase if they really do roll over to this attitude this election has shown they'll never get back in.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    3p7zr0901pj1.png

lol

From the guardian feed.

I also saw a quote from an LNP MP this morning that said they lost because they went too far right.

So I expect some infighting over which direction to take.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Looking at the Vic results in detail, there were definitely some swings towards the libs in certain areas, but not enough to bring them more seats. Assuming that is in fact the Andrews effect and those people were the "mad about lockdowns" contingent, that might indicate a cap on vote gains for the LNP. We can hope, anyway.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    3p7zr0901pj1.png

lol

From the guardian feed.

I'm laughing becauase if they really do roll over to this attitude this election has shown they'll never get back in.

I'm afraid that it does not.
    At the very least Labor is going to preside over an interest rate hike, and I'm concerned that unless they aggressively fix everything, then people will vote Liberal because they're dissatisfied with Labor's progress.
    Regardless of who's left in the LNP.

And ScoMo must have annoyed moderates in his party members too, with his captain's picks in NSW.
    So I'm not sure that the members will get them back on track.
    They'll probably just leave the party.

But yeah, I've been trying to be happy for the win.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    They also forgot that despite their propaganda, people in Melbourne actually like Dan Andrews, and largely saw the lockdowns as necessary to flatten the curve and prevent people from dying until vaccines arrived.

The experience of Western Australia has largely proven this too - when COVID finally broke through, the death count has been exceptionally low, despite very high caseloads.

edited May 2022
    discrider wrote: »
    3p7zr0901pj1.png

lol

From the guardian feed.

At the very least Labor is going to preside over an interest rate hike, and I'm concerned that unless they aggressively fix everything, then people will vote Liberal because they're dissatisfied with Labor's progress.

And ScoMo must have annoyed moderates in his party members too, with his captain's picks in NSW.

A thing that you are forgetting is that climate change is the biggest issue by far on the majority of people's minds and its going to be even worse and more obvious in four years.

Morninglord on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It turns out even with media being useful idiots trying to claim repeated floods as “100 year unique events!!!” people CAN see with their own eyes.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    discrider wrote: »
    3p7zr0901pj1.png

lol

From the guardian feed.

A thing that you are forgetting is that climate change is the biggest issue by far on the majority of people's minds and its going to be even worse and more obvious in four years.

I can hope.

But what I'm seeing in the election results are people sick with the current government and the opposition campaigning on nothing picking independent.
    It's going to be a lot harder for Labor to let the Liberals set themselves on fire next time, when it's Labor who has had to make policy.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    More seats have been called.

Labor has a 77 seat majority.

Here's hoping they can take the senate.
    Looks like Labor+Green+Jacqui Lambie might be able to pass stuff without the LNP

edited May 2022
    Now all Labor has to do is not fuck it up.

I remain skeptical on this point.

Edit - there are a lot of salty LNP voters around.

-Loki- on
    I am suprisingly optimistic about Albo.

He seems strangely determined for a politician since his accident.

Time will tell.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Clive is, of course, making up bullshit about election tampering.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2022
    'We have the AEC on video doing something incredibly fucking illegal'

'You're known for taking legal action, will you be taking that to the courts?'

'Well no, we just want people to know'

Always with the bullshit, hey Clive.

Edit - actual footage of Palmer taking that to court

https://youtu.be/nMuh33BMZYY

-Loki- on
    So of course, the LNP right is shouting that they lost because they weren't *conservative enough*.

steam_sig.png
    Let them.

If they go that direction and put Dutton in charge, we’ll have 12 more years of Labor.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Let them.

If they go that direction and put Dutton in charge, we’ll have 12 more years of Labor.

2015: "Haha, look at the Republicans going so crazy. They'll never get in now!"
    2016: "Fuck."

Bit different with Dutton. He’s got the charisma of a potato and none of the celebrity draw Trump had.

Not saying we shouldn’t be complacent, but comparing Dutton to Trump is very much not the same thing.

edited May 2022
    I am seeing a lot of "The liberals are now unelectable!" going around and I can't help but be bemused that nobody learned a thing from 2019.

It just takes Albanese and co to fuck up a bit and the economy to go slightly poor, which is likely given they're inheriting the government in a situation that will be just as difficult as the Pandemic soon, to have those idiots come back in. Also I think that the "Go further to the right" crowd will be told to solidly fuck off once they've assembled all the data on how they lost. I wouldn't have thought anyone would vote for ignorant homophobic bigot Abbot and yet, let's all remember, he won an election.

One thing against the Liberals in Australia vs. Republicans in the US is that Australia is beginning to get wild with weather. Queensland sent a message about their anxiety about climate as they repeatedly went underwater. Like where I used to live in Australia didn't kick out the libs/nats, but there was an absolutely massive swing against them and I feel the local towns ending up repeatedly under water didn't help the Nationals positions.

Aegeri on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I am seeing a lot of "The liberals are now unelectable!" going around and I can't help but be bemused that nobody learned a thing from 2019.

It just takes Albanese and co to fuck up a bit and the economy to go slightly poor, which is likely given they're inheriting the government in a situation that will be just as difficult as the Pandemic soon, to have those idiots come back in. Also I think that the "Go further to the right" crowd will be told to solidly fuck off once they've assembled all the data on how they lost. I wouldn't have thought anyone would vote for ignorant homophobic bigot Abbot and yet, let's all remember, he won an election.

One thing against the Liberals in Australia vs. Republicans in the US is that Australia is beginning to get wild with weather. Queensland sent a message about their anxiety about climate as they repeatedly went underwater. Like where I used to live in Australia didn't kick out the libs/nats, but there was an absolutely massive swing against them and I feel the local towns ending up repeatedly under water didn't help the Nationals positions.

The big problem Labor has ahead of it is that Murdoch is going to go balls out to discredit them, and Morrison's "get the shot" style of bullshit everyone is pretty over. So they're going to have a problem of helping, being seen doing it, but not being seen to be aggressively doing it for the cameras.

Federal ICAC is one good innoculation here: they've committed to doing it, it has broad support, and more importantly no matter how much Murdoch wants his puppets to rage about it, when you get right down to it it's just ongoing news of the scandalous sort (and while they'll celebrate when it inevitably eats a Labor person, as these things go the Liberals then promptly find a bunch of their own are deep in it as well).

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2022
    Suriko wrote: »
    Let them.

Australia is not America.

A major reason labor won this election is liberals heartland was convincingly ripped apart by independents.

Labor won with only 30% primary vote. Australia is walking away from both major parties. Labor also lost a previously completely safe seat because they tried to parachute Kristina Keneally (sp?) into it and their electorate went "uh no, fuck off" They lost three seats in queensland to the greens who ran a grassroots campaign.

Australia: independents can demolish a major party
    America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS2Bsq5PDmU

So yeah, apples and porcupines.

Morninglord on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    If the Murdoch and Fairfax media empires aren’t major subjects in such an enquiry, the the enquiry will not have the lasting impact it needs to

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited May 2022
    The other interesting thing about this election is that the murdoch empire didn't seem to work as much as it used to work. Like based on how they wrote up this election, if "murdoch is against you" is the sole reason you lose, liberals should have a majority.

Instead they got turbo fucked.

This isn't a normal labor win. This is actually kind of unprecedented. I don't think this many independents have won seats before? Or ripped apart a major party this badly?

Morninglord on
    I didn't consider the impact of ICAC being an ongoing circus to keep the LNP name in the mud over the next few years.

Get ready Angus.

steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The other interesting thing about this election is that the murdoch empire didn't seem to work as much as it used to work. Like based on how they wrote up this election, if "murdoch is against you" is the sole reason you lose, liberals should have a majority.

Instead they got turbo fucked.

This isn't a normal labor win. This is actually kind of unprecedented. I don't think this many independents have won seats before? Or ripped apart a major party this badly?

ScoMo was pretty uniquely atrocious at his job. We haven't had such a do-nothing ever government before. Previous Liberal governments generally were always doing something, and knew that you actually should do things like react to a crisis. ScoMo specifically by his own brand managed to come across as uniquely absent and disinterested in the role except for trying to legalize discrimination against trans- kids.

Will they look at previous corruption I wonder?

Because it would sure be fun to watch Sharma explain himself about how he knew to buy shares in companies right before the government announced taxpayer funded bailouts and contracts with them.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    If Labor were somewhat competent you'd see less independent success. As is it's a repudiation of the major parties.

Hoping for a similar result in NZ come 2022, Labour's done ok, but I think a lot of people are disappointed and feel like neither main party will give them what they want. I hope that third parties get more votes to push more radical agendas. Although we have a whole year and who knows what will happen to the economy by then.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Suriko wrote: »
    Let them.

Very different environment.

A motivated minority of voters can win government for a party in the USA. The crazification threshold is high enough that it can be a majority of voters when only 60-70% of a country votes.

It can't really happen the same way here. If the crazies got into power, while being crazier, it'd be because most of the country wanted them in, which is democracy, after all.

Dhalphir on
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Will they look at previous corruption I wonder?

Because it would sure be fun to watch Sharma explain himself about how he knew to buy shares in companies right before the government announced taxpayer funded bailouts and contracts with them.

Labor has said their ICAC will indeed be retrospective

steam_sig.png